Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: another newbie... 08Elantra GL
ElantraClub - For Elantra Owners and Enthusiasts > Community > The Newbie Forum

View New Posts
megarave
Hey everyone, I've got my car for over a month now... im fr Oakville ON. canadaflag.gif

I must say i like the car alot... theres just a few things about it that I didnt really like.

1st, after i signed the papers for the car and I was about to drive out of the dealership, i realized 118k on the odo meter. and the lovely salesman said it was the test drive car i drove earlier that week..!!! diablo.gif

anyways got free tinting (35%) for the whole car included and a student discount + month end discount so... not a bad deal in the end.

next thing is, is it me or this car is not very economical? im putting around 20 bucks for approx 20 L for approx 210 kms.... not sure how much is that in gallons lunatic.gif

anyways, cant wait to find out more mods on the later 07 and 08 models...

cheers people!
painless
First Welcome...

Second, lots of Canuks here...so you'll feel right at home (seems ON is very popular here)

Third...I'm not 100% on the new model MPG (or I guess KPG in your case) but I can say for sure that there are a lot of things you are leaving out...

1) are you hard on the gas pedal or are you just driving around
2) are you in town, highway, highway but congestion, or a mix?

by my math you are getting a little over 5 gallons (20L) and it lasts about 130 miles (210KM), so that's about 26MPGs and that is right on the money. My O3 GT average's about 28MPGs and I do mixed drving (town to get to highway)....Highway only and it goes up to about 33-35MPGs....others have gotten higher, but I am almost always over the speed limit, if only by a little bit...faster you drive the more gas you gulp!

ps. I don't think having the new car with 118km on it is that bad...unless you test drove it and it had 20km and now 5 days later it have 100 extra on it! I'd say any 'new' car with less then 200km is spot on....they get like 10-15miles (20km) just driving on and off transports and around the lot!
RHINESEL
The car will shine on highways but get less than favorable in city traffic. If you bias to city driving that could be the cause.

Congrats on the car purchase, I hope it gives you years of fun!
megarave
Thanks for your replies.

I am driving it in the city. I guess thats why its a little more gas consuming sad.gif we'll the dealer said it would drive 700km on the highway with a full tank... is that even possible? unsure.gif I dont seem to think so.

Cheers
Alex2013GT
congrats on the car purchase. I drive mostly city traffic, with lots of stop and go driving, and sitting at traffic lights so I've never seen great mileage on a normal tank of gas, but when I get it out on the highways, i hit pretty much dead on what the EPA rating was
MEly
QUOTE (megarave @ Mar 23 2008, 11:11 AM) *
Thanks for your replies.

I am driving it in the city. I guess thats why its a little more gas consuming sad.gif we'll the dealer said it would drive 700km on the highway with a full tank... is that even possible? unsure.gif I dont seem to think so.

Cheers

Congrats on the purchase! I know that my '02 can do 700km when I do 90% highway driving, but city driving mixed with highway at roughly 60/40, I tend to lean towards 550-600km.
nikolettaj
Hey,

Funny you mention the km's in your car when u got it. I got mine a week and a half ago, loving it so far, drove almost 600k with one full tank.
Anyway, when i got the car, I had almost 100k in it, I came home looking at my contract, it says, I got the car with 10k. I know it's not a huge deal, but still. I'm leasing it, and I know, if the time comes to return the car, and I was over my km's then it would be huge deal, and they'd make me pay:(

I'm glad to hear others are enjoying their Elantra too.smile.gif
Bigs
Hey welcome to the club!

Make yourself at home and ask if you can't find!

As for your gas milage, wait after the break in for the real numbers. Also, when manufacturers state the MPG/L/100KM it's usually in ideal conditions. You basically have to drive like a grandma to save gas.
Canadaman111
Hope your loving the car. I know I am loving mine B)
blkhd07
Some say the gas mileage will get better as the car ages....not sure when it should top out.
I have about 5000 miles on. My gas mileage with 90% street time vs 10% highway time is about 25 mpg....trip computer says my average speed is 25mph. This includes time at stoplights where your speed is 'zero' it seems. I am not a leadfoot. I used to normally get 30mpg on my Geo Prizm, but I purchased that car when it was 3 years old, so it was broken in.
Enjoy the car!
jabohn
2007 Elantra owner from Kelowna BC here... had mine for just over a year now. I commute to work daily and I noticed right away when I got the 2007 that I could go about 1 more day without refueling.

Distance of about 136km/85 miles per day, and if I fill up Monday on the way home I have to fill up Thursday on the way home, so about 952 km per tank.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.