Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Torque
ElantraClub - For Elantra Owners and Enthusiasts > Hyundai/Kia > Other Hyundai Models

View New Posts
Adam Garcia
I'm trying to find a way of increasing torque in my 1.6L Accent. How much of a corolation is there between torque and back pressure? I know you need back pressure to make torque but too much will choke your engine so-to-speak. Will an increase in intake volume increase my torque significantly if I maintain my stock exhaust system? How much will my intake volume suffer due to back pressure?
elantragt
One of the club's tech gurus want to tackle this for Adam?
NovaResource
While SOME back pressure is good, most of the time you want to lower back pressure. I would invest in a long CAI intake to build torque but unless you stroke the engine (or add a forced induction like a turbo, supercharger or nitrous), I wouldn't expect much torque gains in the lower RPM's. Torque comes from leverage and that means a longer stroke.
Adam Garcia
I was thinking of bolting on a ram air kit on the car and maybe a set of headers but I don't want to loose any low end torque, the 1.6L only makes about 106 ft lb. .
ricerrx7
The only way you're really going to gain torque would be to go with forced induction. Other than that, you have to realize that you have a 1.6 liter four cylinder.
Bobzilla
Beta swap it. That's the only way you're going to get more than 5-7ft lbs out of a 1.6L. "Ram air" kits are typically a cone filter you stick onto the end of the MAF. If you want true gains, go with a CAI.

With that said, swapping a newer Beta II with 138hp and 136ft-lb torque is probably the best way to get real power,

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.