Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sway bar
ElantraClub - For Elantra Owners and Enthusiasts > Community > The Newbie Forum

View New Posts
Bigeats420
I have read several questions referring to the rear sway bars but is there any good changes that should be made to the front if changes are made to the rear sway bar? mellow.gif
ricerrx7
If you take a look at the stock front swaybar, you will see that it is already beefy from the factory. They do this because it is easier for most people to control an understeer situation than an oversteer situation. So there is no real reason to upgrade the front unless you're just going for style points...
Elantrick
The sway bar is used to balance the handling and quicken the steering response.
Our cars have a lot of front end push. That means that the front wheels will start to slide first and you just plow the front end.

Putting on the thicker rear sway bar not only reduces the body lean, but makes the car more neutral. You can have the front or rear slide with the throttle settings.

If you have a GT, your stock rear bar is 15mm, The GLS has a 13mm I think.

The fronts on the GT and GLS are different.

My recommendation is if you have the GLS use the 18mm rear bar and the 19.2 for the GT.

What you will get is a more neutral car. Almost to the point of oversteer. I have kicked out the back end of my car a couple of times, once rather spectacularly. These were all controllable with the throttle.
Bigeats420
dang i thought the gls could use the 19.2. what model tib would have a 18mm
ricerrx7
The gls can use the 19.2, he's just saying that the 18 would be better suited to your car. And I believe that the 18 would be on the 4 cylinder, non-GT, tib (but don't quote me on that...)
Bigeats420
Very true. thanks everyone
silet
I don't remember anything about a 18 mm. I think the I4 Tib is 17 mm. I mentioned in another sway bar post that the only sizes I've seen for 96 and newer Elantras and Tibs are:

13, 15, 17 and 19 mm
Elantrick
Here is my thinking on the sway bars.
I have a GT. I installed a 19.2 bar with 16" wheels and 205/50-16 tires.

My car is rather neutral. What this means is it can spin out. I have to be careful when going fast through corners. If I back off the throttle, the back end will step out and the car will spin out if I don't control it with throttle.

Manufactures set up their cars with understeer. The front end will start to slide, and if you back off the throttle, the front end will just hook up and the car will turn in. The back end won't step out unless you do something really stupid like unload the back by suddenly dumping the throttle and hitting the brakes in the middle of a corner.

If you have a more neutral car, you need to be more careful.
I have not driven a GLS with the 19.2 bar so I am just speculating that it would be looser than the GT is.
Gelicious
Why would there be ANY differance in the gls and the gt having the 19.2mm sway? I have a gls with the 19.2mm and it holds the road like a champian... I rode with roydjt in portland, he has a gt with the 19.2mm and it felt the same...

Just wondering why there "has" to be a difference?
bikerPA
QUOTE (Gelicious @ Apr 22 2005, 07:45 PM)
Just wondering why there "has" to be a difference?

The GLS (sedan, anyway; I think the hatch uses the same suspension bits as the GT) has a smaller front swaybar than the GT does.
Elantrick
The GLS has a smaller front bar than the GT. So the 19.2 bar will have more of an effect of making the car looser than on the GT.

Holding the road is one thing. Sliding the car around the corner is another.

Try this test. Find a big parking lot some early morning or late night.

Start going in a circle around 30 mph. Gradually go faster. When the front end starts to push, back off the gas. If the back end slides out and you spin, you have "somewhat" of a dangerous set up. The manufactures will definitely call it dangerous and Consumers reports will give it a failing grade because it's potentially dangerous.
A "stock" front driver will load the front wheels, turn in, and slow down.

My car now is quite neutral. When accelerating through a corner, the front end pushes. If I back off the gas too quickly, the tail steps out. I need to get back on the gas to control the slide.

Again, I have not driven a GLS set up with the 19.2 rear bar.

If you have the stock tires on a GLS with the 19.2 bar, I would think that it would be somewhat dangerous as the stock tires don't have much traction. things could get interesting at slower speeds. If you have higher grip tires, you need to go much faster to get the slide started.

If you never go so fast as to slide your tires, it's of little consequence, until you have to do some sort of emergency maneuver.
silet
Just measured the 05 GLS and 03 GT front sway bars.

GLS 23 mm and the GT 25 mm
Bigeats420
so the GT would end up haveing a 25 F and 19.2 R, would The GlS be ok to have a 23F and 19.2 R or are the #'s to close.
silet
I haven't heard too many complaints about it.
Elantrick
Nobody has complained because no one has gotten into a slide to see how the car reacts.

At least no one has said that the GLS with the 19.2 rear bar is neutral in a slide.
Bigeats420
do yall know any good contacts to order a sway bar.
bikerPA
QUOTE (Bigeats420 @ Apr 26 2005, 05:23 PM)
do yall know any good contacts to order a sway bar.

Dig:

West Broad Hyundai's pricelist for club members

those folks absolutely rock.
silet
QUOTE (silet @ Apr 24 2005, 07:53 PM)
Just measured the 05 GLS and 03 GT front sway bars.

GLS 23 mm and the GT 25 mm

My measurement was wrong. The GT and GLS have the same front sway bar!!!
KeWLKaT
Jay himself, I think, had posted on the archives in EXD that there is a 0.5-0.6mm diff between the swaybars.
silet
QUOTE (KeWLKaT @ May 21 2005, 09:06 PM)
Jay himself, I think, had posted on the archives in EXD that there is a 0.5-0.6mm diff between the swaybars.

I remember that too. I kept measuring the two bars and was getting a little more the 23 mm on the GLS and around 24 mm on the GT. So it may be true, but I noticed that the part numbers were the same for 4 dr and 5 dr.

Part #s 54811-2D000 (early models) and 54811-2D100 (later models) are listed for both body styles.
KeWLKaT
Well then it might've been a bad batch of swaybars that he measured wink.gif
stauf
Something that should be mentioned but nobody has, least in this thread is the fact the suspension on the gt's is firmer then the gls which will make a difference as well... You can't look at one suspension component and call it good. Everything works with everything else, changing one thing can help/not help but also effects other parts of the suspension.

I'd doubt that .5mm diff in the front bar would make much of a difference in how ppl review the 18mm vs 19.2mm for the GLS if it was truely 'just' sway bars..

Struts, springs, heights, rates, rims, wheels, bars, even alignment settings, all make a difference.. Remember the saying, "No man is an island"
KeWLKaT
Who's the naytalker now?

Very mature indeed.

Good day gentlemen.
cclngthr
QUOTE (stauf @ May 21 2005, 11:00 PM)
Something that should be mentioned but nobody has, least in this thread is the fact the suspension on the gt's is firmer then the gls which will make a difference as well...  You can't look at one suspension component and call it good.  Everything works with everything else, changing one thing can help/not help but also effects other parts of the suspension.

I'd doubt that .5mm diff in the front bar would make much of a difference in how ppl review the 18mm vs 19.2mm for the GLS if it was truely 'just' sway bars..

Struts, springs, heights, rates, rims, wheels, bars, even alignment settings, all make a difference..  Remember the saying, "No man is an island"

The GT and GLS use the same strut. It is just the sway bars that are different suspension wise and 6 inch wide rims on the GT vs. the 5.5 inch rim on the GLS.
silet
QUOTE (cclngthr @ May 22 2005, 06:15 PM)
The GT and GLS use the same strut. It is just the sway bars that are different suspension wise and 6 inch wide rims on the GT vs. the 5.5 inch rim on the GLS.

cclngthr, I believe the springs are the same but the struts on the GT are firmer. I noticed the ride on my GLS is softer than the 02 GT (the one that was stock). I will know for sure when I swap the Eibach springs and struts from my 03 GT. I will have a set of GLS and GT stock parts to compare.
Skeskali
I have a complete idiot question:

When looking at the engine, which thing is the sway bar? confused-scratchhead3.gif
silet
QUOTE (Skeskali @ Jun 9 2005, 08:18 PM)
I have a complete idiot question:

When looking at the engine, which thing is the sway bar?  confused-scratchhead3.gif

In the front it's under the engine and you have to look from below. Turn your wheels to the right and go the front driver wheel looking from the back. The bar is attached to the lower arm with a small end link. In the rear it's attached the rear of the strut with a longer endlink. You have to stick your head under the rear quarter panel.
cobas
FYI and quick summary. The sway bar is more commonly called an anti-roll bar because it keeps the car from 'rolling' too much in turns. In order for the car to 'tilt' towards the oustide of a turn, this bar has to twist. Thicker ones make the car stay flatter in turns, which is good. Since there are two sway bars (front and rear) the relationship between them determines the car's tendency to plow forward or fishtail in turns. The consensus around here is that the thicker Rear bar from the TiburonGT is a worthwhile $140 upgrade and we have several discussion threads about it. While the rear one is easy to see and remove, the front one is much harder to change...

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.