Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need some help figuring out which class
ElantraClub - For Elantra Owners and Enthusiasts > Automotive > The Racing Zone > Elantra Racing

View New Posts
Ishtar
Which SCCA AutoX class are the following cars in:

Chevrolet Cobalt SS Supercharged
Ford Mustang GT
Subaru WRX

and with lowering, i/h/e, and better struts, where do they go (STS for the cobalt?)
Toecutter
In stock trim:

Cobalt SS = GS
Mustang GT = FS
Subaru WRX = DS

With the mods that you cited all three of the above would get slotted into STX. Sorry, but the Cobalt SS doesn't qualify for STS because of the supercharger.

Check these links out:
SCCA Solo Car Classifications Guide
Car Classification Worksheet
Ishtar
mmmm can you run same size tire bridgestone KD's in stock classes?
Toecutter
BFG KD's? You betcha!
Ishtar
Oh baby here we come!
Bobzilla
Sellin the lantra Joe?
Ishtar
trying too. If I move to the states I get a break on insurance, and car prices are cheaper. Right now my cost to keep the XD2 is $320 per month lease payment (!!!) and $254 per month insurance. I have a feeling I could get a nicer car in the USA for $574 per month including insurance. I'm $7k ass over though.
SWortham
I think Toecutter is right on all counts except that the new '06 and '07 WRX have a 2.5L instead of the 2.0L of previous models. That means that with the mods you listed they'll be in STU with all the STI's.
Toecutter
Thanks Steve, I didn't think about that. Good Catch.
Silentwolf
That is 574 US or Canadian?
Bobzilla
Don't do the Mustang. It's too heavy and cumbersome
Ishtar
Canadian. So, $520 USD. Still.
Silentwolf
Well my $280 (car) and $150 (USAA insurance under my parents) certainly isnt $500. The cars u listed wont be viewed lightly by insurance companies.
Ishtar
I don't mind paying a little more for it. It's more the fact that I paid $8000 USD more for my Elantra than Oiml8, who lives 40 minutes away.
Toecutter
Mazdaspeed 3 = $23,000

At 7% APR for 60 months = $455/month

That should put you in serious competition with the STI and EVO with change to spare for insurance.
Ishtar
Will there be any left in April though?
Silentwolf
MS3 will compete with a WRX but NOT the higher power STIs and EVOs.
Um depending on what rumor u hear, there could be shipments of 5000 per year rather than the 5000 limit. As they did the same thing with the initial run of the miata.

http://www.edmunds.com/apps/vdpcontainers/...rticleId=116868
Tho initial line about STI speed is incorrect.
Ishtar
I want a coupe preferably anyways. 4 door next. Wagon last.
Bobzilla
Hey Joe, we just took in a 2007 Z51 6-spd coupe. 1900 miles on the LS2 in it. 676.gif
Ishtar
QUOTE (Bobzilla @ Jan 11 2007, 08:47 AM)
Hey Joe, we just took in a 2007 Z51 6-spd coupe.  1900 miles on the LS2 in it.  676.gif

What are da financial figures tongue.gif
Bobzilla
Still tryin to find out.
SWortham
QUOTE (Silent Wolf @ Jan 11 2007, 12:14 AM)

That's true, especially if you're talking about autocrossing. AWD is a huge advantage around an autocross course. High-powered front wheel drive cars struggle for traction, while AWD allows you to power out of corners like nothing else.

You may also want to take a look at the RX-8. It requires more maintenance than the others, and you have to feed it oil on a regular basis. But it's extremely competitive in its stock solo2 class and it makes a comfortable daily driver as well. I also like the fact that they have a front double-wishbone suspension, almost perfect 50/50 weight distribution, and a LSD. They've been selling pretty cheap around here too (not much more than a MS3).
Toecutter
QUOTE (Silent Wolf @ Jan 11 2007, 01:14 AM)

Yeah, I guess Steve's right about AWD and Autocross. I was just a little exited when I wrote it.
Silentwolf
Here read thru this article. In stock forms some might be surprised with the differences.
Specifically, page 5 where they tested the two on and SCCA AutoX layout.
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/wagon/...ison/index.html
However as they say in the end. The AWD WRX has more opportunity with possible modifications.
Ishtar
I read the C&D comparison. It was Cobalt SS/Ion Redline/SRT-4 that smoked the RSX-S and WRX by like 2.5 seconds in there autocross.

And really, everyone who autoX's seems to love the WRX... I like to be a little different.
SWortham
QUOTE (Ishtar @ Jan 11 2007, 08:33 PM)
And really, everyone who autoX's seems to love the WRX...

... because it's fun and AWD introduces an interesting challenge for drivers to master. You can't do this with a Mazda 3...
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=38...est+drive&hl=en

I love the Scandinavian flick action in this video. biggrin.gif
Silentwolf
I feel ya.

On that note:
U could try out the Eclipse GT
GT: 3472lbs/ 263hp = 13.2 lbs/hp ; $22,800 (TMV) ; 6 spd ; Turn circle 40.0ft

SS: 2991lbs/ 205hp = 14.6 lbs/hp ; $20,000 (TMV) ; 5 spd ; Turn circle 33.5ft

Or you could try a Scion TC which comes in at $15k and add the 3k TRD SC kit. Tho from what it sounds like doing anything to and engine puts it in a different category.
Which personally seems stupid to me.
---------
Too bad this isn't an option yet
Eclipse Ralliart
SWortham
BTW, if you want to see which cars are most competitive then take a look at the '06 Nationals results:
http://www.scca.com/_FileLibrary/File/Comb...20Nationals.pdf

Unfortunately the '06 and '07 WRX with the 2.5L simply will not be competitive in either DS or in STU, but the '05 WRX 2.0L would be competitive in STX. And then the RX-8 is obviously dominating BS.
Ishtar
QUOTE (Silent Wolf @ Jan 11 2007, 11:34 PM)
I feel ya.

On that note:
U could try out the Eclipse GT
GT: 3472lbs/ 263hp = 13.2 lbs/hp ; $22,800 (TMV) ; 6 spd ; Turn circle 40.0ft

SS: 2991lbs/ 205hp = 14.6 lbs/hp ; $20,000 (TMV) ; 5 spd ; Turn circle 33.5ft

Or you could try a Scion TC which comes in at $15k and add the 3k TRD SC kit. Tho from what it sounds like doing anything to and engine puts it in a different category.
Which personally seems stupid to me.
---------
Too bad this isn't an option yet
Eclipse Ralliart

Sorry dude, but the turning circle is too big. PLus torque steer like a mofo smile.gif I looked at the tC, but when I priced it out how I wanted it ended up @ 27k tongue.gif

I like this discussion though! Keep it going!
Silentwolf
LOL same here on the TC tho it was 25k with the Borla exhaust of course wink.gif

See i know didly about the class sections but do u want a vehicle thats stock or something to mddify?
Ishtar
Mostly stock. I'd like to just really swap out the rims and tires to something mroe agressive. So stock classes. I'd rather spend time on the interior.
Silentwolf
Well, Caliber SRT-4 could be real interesting. If you can get past exterior. Tho to me the SRT4 looks better than its stock bretheren.
---------
http://www.allpar.com/cars/dodge/caliber-srt4.html

Still no official word on pricing tho. sad.gif
Ishtar
ewwww.
I'd rather a Civic Si
---------
VW GTI w/ DSG?
---------
Check out this article that compares auotX times....

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/9867/performance.html
Bobzilla
Expect to spend $30k for that Joe. If was to spend $30k on a car and as singleand wanted to push it, it would HAVE to be RWD.

BNuy yourself a nice 2005 Vette for $24k and have some fun.
winc
Just my two cents worth... Get a bone-stock 1991 or 1992 Mitsu Galant VR4, totally a sleeper right out of the box with a lot of potential to mod. Turbocharged, full-time AWD, 4-wheel steering, electronically adjustable suspension, 195 hp at 6,000 rpm and 203 ft. lbs. of torque at 3,000 rpm. They didn't make many of them, so you'd definitely be different. A lot of info at galantvr4.org.

TJ
oiml8
Tho I think they are revising the rules the 2001 BMW 325ci is dominating STS with only a few suspension mods and tires. You can get them for about $16000. Obviously the older Civic SI's are the best for competition in STS but it is not really a daily driver.
gmtorque
I would have to say a 3 series is a top choice for a daily driver and autocross car.
Something like this would be perfect.
1998 M3

Bobzilla
I would have to say you're gonna need deep pockets to affordthe maintenance and upkeep on one of those. Lower arms that bend under normal driving aren't going to hold up under agressive driving. $100 oil changes. Typical german electrical nightmares.

Yeah. . . I'd pass.
Silentwolf
How about the inspiration for our cars?
Saab 9-3 Viggen Hatchback TMV price $12,400
3090lbs (90 lbs more than the Cobalt SS)
2.3 I4 Turbo
230hp at 5500rpm
258ft-lb at 2500rpm
.83 skidpad
34.4ft turning circle (only 1 ft more that the Cobalt SS)
It is a two door tongue.gif

PS: no info on an LSD
Ishtar
QUOTE (Bobzilla @ Jan 12 2007, 01:50 PM)
I would have to say you're gonna need deep pockets to affordthe maintenance and upkeep on one of those.  Lower arms that bend under normal driving aren't going to hold up under agressive driving.  $100 oil changes.  Typical german electrical nightmares.

Yeah. . . I'd pass.

Wonder if you can buy forged lower arms.. What is your opinion Bobbo if I gutted the interior, ripped out most of non-essential electrical bits, put in a roll bar, and modded it to kingdom for road racing?
winc
^^^ oil changes ain't that bad... even with synthetic maybe $60... filter's ain't that much and v-12 BMW holds 9 qts on change, inline 6 should be less

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.