Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New AutoX hardware for next season
ElantraClub - For Elantra Owners and Enthusiasts > Automotive > The Racing Zone > Elantra Racing

View New Posts
Toecutter
I usually post over on EXD, but it looks like the AutoX community is a bit livelier over here.

I've decided, and ordered a set of Rota GT-3 wheels 15"x7" (13.5lbs), and the Azenis RT-615s in 205/50-15. This tire is an inch shorter than my street tires. This should help a lot with the gearing. Furthermore, the profile on these tires makes the tread-width comparable to other 225s, and they have a better compound than any other street tire that I know of. Also, in 205/50-15 the RT615 has steel reinforced sidewalls clapsmiley.gif

Oh yeah... and Ksport coil overs will be installed prior to the beginning of race season.

Is anyone using the Schroth Ralley 4 in their XD? Any thoughts on this harness?
J-son
Wow, sounds like you are well on your way!

I am running 17x7 with 615 's as well. I plant to run a 225 / 45 / 17 just got to get the money around. I am running KSports like yourself. I have the car set up to a 1-1.25" drop, I had a 1.75-2" drop and it just was not right this last season. Have you boughten a 22 mm sway bar yet? LateApxer here is running K's with the bar on stock wheels, and he loves it alot. That is my next purchase as well.

I have thought about increaing my spring rates on the front and rear, some have told me to not do it, but we will see next season. What the pain, I can get them for less than $200 and try a few races with them in and then swap in the higher rates and see what happens. Right now it is all a learning experience and it will take some money and testing to find the best setup.

Well, sorry to ramble on, but we do have a few guys here that will chat it up on the Auto X end.

Thanks for stopping by! smile.gif

Cheers,
Jason

BTW: where you from? You should click on my sig and reg for the Winged Warrior Three event. Or at least check the site out, they have all the info about the event and their selection of who is running!

Later smile.gif
Bobzilla
Welcome! I am ordering the H&R's next week, and you read in the other thread about the tire issue for the weekends biggrin.gif

This will be my first real attempt at auto-X. Last August I have some of our Ft Wayne members to thank for getting me hooked and a Detroit member who made me realize justhow inadequate the car was (and possibly my skills too!). So we'll see how much the springs and tires help the car and me so we can get ready for Grissom again this year!
bikedad
QUOTE (Bobzilla @ Jan 6 2007, 07:58 AM)
Welcome!  I am ordering the H&R's next week, and you read in the other thread about the tire issue for the weekends biggrin.gif

This will be my first real attempt at auto-X.  Last August I have some of our Ft Wayne members to thank for getting me hooked and a Detroit member who made me realize justhow inadequate the car was (and possibly my skills too!).  So we'll see how much the springs and tires help the car and me so we can get ready for Grissom again this year!

I too am considering some AutoXing this next summer. I wonder if my 15 year old SCCA certificates are still viable for the mandatory school. (I use to race my 89 Honduh Civic Si) I just wish I didn't have the slush box. I'll just pretend it's an Autoschtick Yah?
Bob, I have the H&R springs with the stock struts. It handles great for now. I'll add coilovers if I go into Autoxing full bore. Just can't justify the cost for once in awhile racing. I think you'll be happy with them. thumbsup.gif
Bobzilla
Just can't justify the cost for once in awhile racing. I think you'll be happy with them

Same here. Plus, the car has to stay my DD for a while longer (read: 2 more years) and I just don't see K-sports being great in the longevity dept wading through Salty Indiana winters.
bikedad
I agree^^^ same here.
oiml8
Toe, welcome. I assume you will be running in STS. What Region will you be racing in? I don't know anyone using that harness. I think it should work great by using the stock locations though I am a little concerned that the bolts in the rear will not thread in enough.

Give us a little more info about your car too. We can give you some more info after that.

Remember you can do what I do and swap out the coilovers for the h&r's with tib struts for the winter.
Toecutter
Thanks for the great welcome guys. I'll be racing primarily in the Milwaukee Region SCCA, but might do some events with Wisconsin Autocrossers, Inc. as well, and maybe down to the Chicago area. The car is an '06 black XD2 GT hatch (my second Elantra). I will be running STS, as I have the Tib rear sway bar, CAI, headers & full exhaust, TWM short-shifter, Kartboy linkage bushings, and RRM front strut tower brace. I will be installing the rear RRM strut tower brace when I get to the coil overs.

Once I started racing last season, I decided that the Elantra was to become a 3 season car. Therefore, it will be garaged for our harsh/salty Wisconsin winters. I got a great deal on an '89 Lincoln Town Car with only 75,000 miles on it to use in the winter. Plus, if anything happens to the Elantra, I can always race the Town Car in FS.

joehyundai
QUOTE (Toecutter @ Jan 6 2007, 02:50 PM)
Plus, if anything happens to the Elantra, I can always race the Town Car in FS.

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
Toecutter
You thought that I was kidding Joe? C'mon you know you want to see it! You know the Town Car has an aluminum hood...wish I could get one for the Elantra.

Somebody hit the Town Car a bout a month ago. Minor damage really...just paint scratches and bent molding, but the insurance check was used to buy the Ksports. Now if only somebody would hit me on the other side, I could do some more work on the Elantra. Fortuitous!
Toecutter
Bikedad, if you come out to Miller Park to race this seson, we could kind of form an ad-hoc Team Elantraclub.com. We would be the only two Elantras there, but maybe just by being ther we will attract more. There is a guy racing a Tiburon, but you know that the Elantra will beat a Tiburon.
bikedad
QUOTE (Toecutter @ Jan 7 2007, 10:58 AM)
Bikedad, if you come out to Miller Park to race this seson, we could kind of form an ad-hoc Team Elantraclub.com.  We would be the only two Elantras there, but maybe just by being ther we will attract more.  There is a guy racing a Tiburon, but you know that the Elantra will beat a Tiburon.

That would be great! Let's keep in contact so we can be at the same events. I haven't been involved for quite a few years but I think it's just like riding a bike (Pun intended<BIKEDAD>). I'm out in Waukesha. I think they have a few events at Waukesha Expo as well.
Bobzilla
You know Toe, I have been fantasizing alot lately about gutting a 1989 Caprice 9C1, adding a whole host of Hotchkis suspension pieces, dropping in a 383 stroker with Accel DFI a T-56 and go scare some import kids on the auto-x course. Maybe we could pair up that ol lincoln!
Toecutter
The Caprice is a good platform to start with, and I'm sure that I could get the Lincoln to handle better, but it ain't gonna happen. The Lincoln will only be raced in an emergency situation, or maybe once just for the sheer stupidity of it.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.