Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New to Hyundai
ElantraClub - For Elantra Owners and Enthusiasts > Community > The Newbie Forum

View New Posts
Idaho Elantra
Just bought a 99 Elantra GL. It was for my daughter but since I drive much further than her each day I ended up with the Elantra (and better mileage) and she has my Ford Ranger. As long as I am driving the Elantra I think I might as well have some fun and make some simple mods. I am curious what the difference between the different models are. My GL has the 2.0 L 16V DOHC engine what does the GLS and the GT have? What are the other differences? Any info would be very helpful and I am very new to this.

Thanks.
Bobzilla
Well, the J2 (96-00) were only offered in GL and GLS and sedan and wagon. You have the Beta engine where us XD/XD2 owners have the Beta II.

The J2's used a very similar suspension and the much touted Tib 19mm sway bar upgrade is also available for you as well. Cat-back exhausts are rare for an Elantra, but one of our members just put on an RD Tiburon(1997-01) cat back with success and the CAI (Cold Air Intake) fit well on the earlier Elantras.

Welcome to the club, be sure to fill out a spot in the Garage and peruse the DIY's!
Babyhyundai05
Welcome to the club! I knew nothing about Hyundai until I came to the club. There's a lot of useful information here and many features like the garage to give any ideas on what to spend on the Elantra.
roydjt
All 99-00(J2) Elantras came with the BetaI 2.0L motor. All 2001-2003(XD) and 2004-2006(XD2) came with the BetaII motor, a 2.0L 16V DOHC variant of the Beta. A significant difference is that the XD2 have Continuously Variable Valve Timing (CVVT) among other minor electrical differences. Overseas, other motors have been offered such as a 1.6L, a 1.8L, and diesel options.

As far as I can recall, the differences between the GL and GLS models in the J2 Elantras were trim options - things like foglights, air conditioning, I can't remember the specifics.

The XD/XD2 Elantra came very well equipped stock, with things like power locks and windows, keyless entry/alarm, A/C, rear window defrost, etc. The GT trim level added a leather-trimmed interior, 15" alloy wheels, fog lights, cruise control, trip computer with a different gauge display, 4-wheel disc brakes, black trim, trunk lip spoiler, sport-tuned suspension, and some other stuff I'm probably forgetting.

Welcome to the club! Make yourself comfortable and park yourself in our garage, where you can list the things you have done to your car to make it yours. The search function is your friend, but feel free to ask anything that you like, someone will know the answer!

-Roy
Goldenguy
Enjoy your Hyundai.. I have enjoyed mine over the last year and some change!

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.