Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: what's the fastest you have gone?
ElantraClub - For Elantra Owners and Enthusiasts > J2/XD/HD Generations > Elantra General Discussions

View New Posts
Pages: 1, 2, 3
neverfinished
I was just curious how many people really get on their elantra's hard and also just what they are capable of. I have done a little over 120 in my elantra, but it really doesn't feel like it wants to push much above about 115 though, it really takes a while to pick up speed above that and feels like it lacks the horsepower to get too much faster even though i have alot more rpm's left to go. Some people did say that this is a governor but it just doesn't feel the same as fuel cuts in most cars i have been in when the governor kicks in
abrahan
something like 122mph is my highest.

it lasted about 20 seconds.
Doohickie
I've had the Elantra up over 90 I'm pretty sure, but not for long. Fastest I've ever driven was 120+ (my speedo didn't go higher than that) in my 72 Dart:

roydjt
Considering that our cars are limited somewhere near 120mph, there will probably be a bunch of votes for the 110-120. I had my car up to a little over 110 once, just to see what it was like. Getting up to 90 is no big deal, 90-100 takes some time, and finding 110 took a nice long flat straight stretch of open road. With the stock suspension, 110 felt like I was near the edge of what is safe.

-Roy
neverfinished
yeah, i see that most people say their cars are limited at 120, but im thinking since some guys have turbo setups and other mods they probalbly remapped their ecu and can get higher, also i bet alot of people dont make it to top speed

I've had the Elantra up over 90 I'm pretty sure, but not for long. Fastest I've ever driven was 120+ (my speedo didn't go higher than that) in my 72 Dart

thats cool that you had a 72 dart, i actually have a 73 dart sport being built for the track with the old motor before i blew it i took that car up to about 130, this is the reason my elantra has no mods in terms of power, i dont like having a race car for a daily driver
RHINESEL
95mph, just to give it a try.
cclngthr
My XD was limited to 115. Haven't tried my new Elantra SE yet.
cobas
Oops, I voted 120-130 before reading the "in your elantra," part. I briefly did 120 in a Mercedes 190E and a Subaru SVX, but I haven't gone much over 110 in my Elantra. I do get up to 90-100 maybe once a week or so, whenever there's more than half a mile of completely straight, empty exit ramp on my way home... I like to exercise my car.
Goldenguy
No 100-110 choices?

I took the Elantra to ~105mph with four people and AC. Strangely enough, it seemed to get there very quickly.
TMac
fahr04.gif I was going to FL with my mother. I got the GT up to 90 mph and set the CC for the day.
Bigs
I have never been up to the limiter in my Elantra... But I took it up to 105...

On my YZF1000, 160... mellow.gif
Ishtar
230km/h in a 350z.
Tirolerpeter
I have done close to 120 in the Elantra on a stretch of Parkway with very limited access. It got up there pretty easily. I ran out of room to try to push it further, but it was still pulling when I let up. I have driven extensively in Europe over the years and routinely cruised at speeds around 120 - 130 mph (around 195 -210 kph) but I have also hit 235 kph on an empty Autobahn (sunny weather, no cross-winds, and no other traffic). That works out to 146 mph. It really didn't feel like all that wild. Great car, great road and NO FEAR OF COPS, so I actually focused on the road ahead of me instead of keeping one eye in the mirror. Over the years, and during four trips, I have probably done about 15 - 16 K miles on European roads.
CyberGecco
I too would have chosen the 100-110 break if it existed...
4 people, long stretch of I15 between vegas and LA, and I didn't even realize how fast I was going...simply keeping up with a couple other cars around me before I realized how fast I was going...mostly because the roadwork came up on us, and I didn't want to hit some of those bumps at 100+....though it was an entertaining moment when we did. Never bottomed out, and loved it gtlove.gif
cclngthr
This has me curious about the HD. I know the limiter is slightly higher than my XD, but I'm just wondering what it can do. When I had my Accent, I had that up to 105.
FadeToBlack
Only about 75-80. I've only had my car a month and I don't usually drive above 80, anyway.
KeWLKaT
155 mph
Bobzilla
118 on the limiter + 5% overdriven on the tires. So real ground speed 120-124. Would NEVER get near that in the stock suspension/tires.

128mph in my square box of a car Caprice. 126 in Dad's and 124ish in my 93 GMC fullsize. Accidentally got over 140 on my buddy's RF900R 'zuki. After 130 you quit looking at the speedo. . . .
cobas
I guess you got around the speed limiter, eh, Felix?
mikelantra25
115 mph while being chased by a limo - long story

Hey Doohickie - my first car was a '74 Dart - I had that sucker up to 120 (I had an aftermarket guage on it). I miss her sad.gif
KeWLKaT
QUOTE (cobas @ Nov 24 2006, 12:58 PM)
I guess you got around the speed limiter, eh, Felix?

No, I was kdding. LOL

First of all it's impossible to hit more than 140 mph without changing you transmission gearing.

I saw a video not too long ago with an elantra from korea or something hitting the reline on 5th gear, and it wasn't far from 215 kmh-ish. I dont know what that translates to, but its basically the maximum atteinable speed.
Tirolerpeter
QUOTE (KeWLKaT @ Nov 24 2006, 03:25 PM)
No, I was kdding. LOL

First of all it's impossible to hit more than 140 mph without changing you transmission gearing.

I saw a video not too long ago with an elantra from korea or something hitting the reline on 5th gear, and it wasn't far from 215 kmh-ish. I dont know what that translates to, but its basically the maximum atteinable speed.

That is 133.6 mph.
silet
Voted 140+ before I saw the part about the Elantra tongue.gif
ilanpro
QUOTE (silet @ Nov 27 2006, 12:05 PM)
Voted 140+ before I saw the part about the Elantra  tongue.gif

so did I sarcastic-footinmouth.gif

I have taken my XD2 to 125mph

And a Carrera 4 to 170mph carrot.gif carrot.gif carrot.gif
princessa
my old Elantra i took 124mph, havent tried new one yet, being a manual it should probably go faster,u think? I'll try it when i'm in the desert, i'll be driving to Texas next April, a 24 hr trek one way
bakaboy101
In my 04' i toped out just a bit over 140 mph but that's with a turbo kit added and the puter reworked..

in my 02' i toped out at about 100-110 it's now mainly stock due to it's "work car " status..
Karl_1052
I have gotten to 130km/h(around 75mph) in the elantra.

On my GSXR1100, I have gotten to around 265km/h(approximately 170mph).

Going fast in a car is like swatting flys with a fork. There are better way to do it, and do it alot faster too.
winc
My 03 GT got up to 116 with pretty good pull, even in 5th, but then it chugged due to the limiter. At the time, didn't know it had the limiter, and my buddy in his Lumina 3.1 pulled away from me.
cclngthr
My new Elantra has been up to 118. Limiter is at 120.
Goldenguy
My Tiburon has still only been up to about 85mph. No real legal opportunities (nor desires) to push it much further.
Midnightsky
Somebody explain to me how ppl are getting over 120mph in their Elantra!!!!!!!!!!!!! How do they know? My gauge goes to 220km/h which converted to mph is 136.70mph. The ECU kicks in @ 116mph or 190km/h to prevent the car from going any faster according to government regulations. Are 16 of the votes from ppl who have somehow magicly reprogrammed the ECU to let them past 116mph? Or are they LIERS?
Goldenguy
Well, now I've had the Tibby to about 100, haha.

Wonder if maybe they swapped in a Tibby ECU or something.. the Tibby ECU has no governor, just a rev limiter.
Midnightsky
So far from what I've learned you can't just "swap" an ECU from a tibby cause if so I'd have done that already.
Ishtar
QUOTE (Midnightsky @ Jul 3 2007, 05:22 PM)
Somebody explain to me how ppl are getting over 120mph in their Elantra!!!!!!!!!!!!!  How do they know? My gauge goes to 220km/h which converted to mph is 136.70mph.  The ECU kicks in @ 116mph or 190km/h to prevent the car from going any faster according to government regulations.  Are 16 of the votes from ppl who have somehow magicly reprogrammed the ECU to let them past 116mph? Or are they LIERS?

More like without reading the fine print most people think fastest in any car?
Midnightsky
QUOTE (Ishtar @ Jul 3 2007, 04:38 PM)
More like without reading the fine print most people think fastest in any car?

I don't understand you Ish?
mregt02
some folks responded but they didn't notice it mentioned an Elantra specific top speed, so they answered the fastest they have ever driven period.
atlwteboy240
sorry guys i just Fed up the poll!!!!

i voted before i read the first post. but i hit 142 in my buddys mercadies CLK 430 it was fun but i only did it for about 15 min...
Midnightsky
Ya lol I was thinkin.....huh? over 120mph in an elantra? who are these ppl? when can i steal their ECU? lol
Justin!
about 119 downhill.
Levonida0103
they don't have to be liars i know a girl from my dealership her 2003 gt goes all the way to 220, mine stops at 210-212kmh, another guy I know his stops at 195, the fastest i've gone in canada was 270 on a toll road 407 etr, and 333 in germany in a ferrari, those roads are amazing. but i've gone to 215 but that was slightly goin down a hill. but 210 -ish clean. not bad for an elantra biggrin.gif
elantraelite
190km/h is the fastest i've done on a dead country road.

I was very surprised how the Elantra still had pretty good pulling power in 5th gear. For a 4cylinder I think the Beta is a great motor.
---------
I have also taken the Accent to 160km/h ... pretty much had no more go in it.
Midnightsky
The govenors on the 04+ Elantra must be higher than the 03's that OR CND has stricter govenor regulations than the US does.
gsazabi
100mph a few times so far in my HD

150mph on my Z and was still pulling strong until I backed off the throttle in fear of going to jail lol.
stephan
the fastest I ever got to was 120mph in My old 86' Integra
cobas
I think at 150mph I would have worse concerns than jail.
popeye
^laugh.gif

A buddy had his parent's Benz and with 4 of us he managed to get that thing up to around 120-130 going up I5 near Soledad (minor grade for 2 miles).

I think the fastest I've ran the GT is around 80 going up Genesee on my way to work, this is the last gasp of freedom bwfore work so I (on a rare ocassion) let her rip going up the grade toward John Jay Hopkins Drive.
FadeToBlack
Had mine about 90 or so a few weeks ago. Stupid, I know, but the car did feel pretty stable at that speed. Seemed to feel better than my '01 Cavalier did at around the same speed. (Fastest I had the Cavalier was about 100 or so)
Vampyrate
ive hit 110 in my elantra, but have hit the govenor in my pontiac at about 115. i dont know if my vote counted or not, but i am drunk so i dont care. so im telling you what ive done...

there is nothing more dissapointing than feeling the car pull at 100mph then the fuel just cut out at 115 with the engine screaming for more the entire way up there
FadeToBlack
QUOTE (Vampyrate @ Jul 8 2007, 02:39 AM)
ive hit 110 in my elantra, but have hit the govenor in my pontiac at about 115. i dont know if my vote counted or not, but i am drunk so i dont care. so im telling you what ive done...
there is nothing more dissapointing than feeling the car pull at 100mph then the fuel just cut out at 115 with the engine screaming for more the entire way up there

If that Grand Am has the 3400 in it, I've heard that they'll do about 135 or so without a limiter. My friend had a GT and it would hit the 127mph governor pretty easily.
SilentasKnight
The Elantra is Governed at 125 and even if it was not i don't think it has enough hp to go over 130 or so anyway, stock that is. I've hit the governor before a few times and i have a gps which tells me how fast i'm going and it is without a doubt 125.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.