Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: waxed by an acura
ElantraClub - For Elantra Owners and Enthusiasts > Automotive > The Racing Zone > Elantra Racing

View New Posts
stauf
so last night i'm rollin down a piece of street that's not bad for racing down on my way to pepboys. i see a white early 90s late 80s car with a fartcan exhaust, I chuckle.. we catch a red light and he pulls next to me, i figure wth i'll get a jump off the line. neither of us rev the otherone so i just wanted to get him off the line. soo.. light hits green, off i go.. i take his ass off the line.. so he wants to go, figure okay.. rev thru first, hit second still going strong while he chirps 'em into second. come up on third and whitey catches me and starts passing.. now we're going about 70 and I let off as he goes by. i may be a lil nuts once in awhile, but 70+ on the street is just idiotic.. specially with the fines imposed on street racing.. lol not that it's organized, but still.. lol

so what did we learn last night? i'm badass off the line.. tongue.gif catbacks get attention whether wanted or not.. lol and an acura integra kicked my ass in third. (why/how tho!)

so outside of wondering the why/how, it was fun for a few fleeting moments..

now the legalbits.. eclub, bse, me nor the members endorse street racing. its illegal and can injur yourself, passengers and idiot jaywalkers..
cobas
Late 80's Integras had comparable 0-60 times, around 9 seconds. The GS-R's of the early 90s were quicker at 6.5-7 seconds.
ArunSenior04
Yea integras are no joke. One of Cypher's friends came to the track with us. It was an auto Integra with a chip, CAI, and exhaust, and it ran a 15.8.
JPJR
Acuras have a huge aftermarket and bigger more powerful engines from other models are not to hard to install. And the year you mentioned does not have OBDII, making tuning easier. Honda motors are horsepower, BetaII is all about torque. Your torque got you off the line faster, but his horsepower caught up once the cars were rolling.
elantragt
I used to love the free revving engine and high RPM redline of my old Integra. Like JPJR said it wasn't much from a standing start but when you floored it that little engine screamed to the redline. I have to say though, with the modding I've done, the Elantra now is as much fun.
cclngthr
QUOTE (JPJR @ Sep 17 2006, 06:51 PM)
Acuras have a huge aftermarket and bigger more powerful engines from other models are not to hard to install. And the year you mentioned does not have OBDII, making tuning easier. Honda motors are horsepower, BetaII is all about torque. Your torque got you off the line faster, but his horsepower caught up once the cars were rolling.

I don't know about that one. I know when I get moving, most of the power is above 4,000 rpm in mine (have the SRI). I smoked a 2003 Cav with header, intake and I think a catback (also had a bodykit).

Also, I notice the beta 1 1.8 liter engine has, it seems, a lot more power than the beta 2. A former student of mine, who was at a meet last summer raced a beta 2 equipped Tib and he was way ahead from the start. Another NT member with a tib with a 1.8 liter engine also can outdo the beta 2 engined cars (this time, me and Pumbaa). When Pumbaa had his 03, we were going and I was ahead of him and slowly pulling away from him (only difference was his hatch had the 5 speed and my sedan has the automatic with my SRI vs his CAI)).
elantraelite
Since the XD Elantra came here with the option of the 1.8 Beta and 2.0 Beta... That would be an interesting comparison for the books.
mlumz
gotta love the street racing. Yesterday I got burned by a Viper, well not really I just pushed a little to see if he would driver a Viper like it should be. Well he did and ate a lot of dust. Some times I've nearly rear ended saleens and vettes b/c they drive sooo slow (not even the speed limit). If you can't drive it don't buy it.
stauf
well, when i asked billyboy, he said the acura had a bigger motor as well and probably had more mods on it considering AM is a dime a dozen for a honduh.. all it tells me is I need to get the cai and catback finished and get an ecu on my car.. 676.gif or maybe a turbo.. groucho.gif
NY2002ElantraGT
its ok, we all lose sometime. i was driving down a major hwy doin like 70 in the middle lane (my normal crusin speed) and some chick in a XD GT sedan passed me in the left lane doin probably 80. so i pulled up next to her looked over at her, she looked back and took off. It must have been an auto, i threw it in 4th and was OUT! we were doin like 110ish and i see a sheriff merging on so i hit the brakes, she goes flyin by and gets pulled over.... SOOOOOOOOO FUNNY. that was my first and only race in my xd. im sure they'll be more, but i've had this car for about a year and im always too afraid of losing. i knew i could beat a stock xd. haha
popeye
QUOTE (mlumz @ Sep 17 2006, 09:00 PM)
gotta love the street racing. Yesterday I got burned by a Viper, well not really I just pushed a little to see if he would driver a Viper like it should be. Well he did and ate a lot of dust. Some times I've nearly rear ended saleens and vettes b/c they drive sooo slow (not even the speed limit). If you can't drive it don't buy it.

Actually I don't and neither do any of those who've lost loved ones due to maroons racing out in the streets. To quote 'Bullit' Bob Holstein: "Take it to a sanctioned strip idiot"

Do what you will, but remember the streets are not your fucking playground. It's bad enough with the stupid drivers talking on cellies/reading papers/putting on makeup then add the ricers in cages and squids on crotchrockets and maybe then you can see my anger...?

</rant>
stauf
i'm with ya pops.. otherwise i would have nixed my legal statement.. biggrin.gif
Bobzilla
I can tell you that a stock 92 Integra makes my car look like a Vette. . . . I think he ran a 17.2 to my 16.x's the same night at The Facility formerly known as IRP. . . What turds stock. Same with chitvics. Too bad they take well to N/A mods.
silet
An XD going up against a stock 96 and up LS Integra, in a drag strip, will lose. I've said it before, the Integra is about 300 lbs lighter, much more aggressive gear ratio, optional short shifter (standard on 01 models), 15.5lbs alloys and truly has 140 hp...
Bobzilla
. . . . and about 90ft-lbs of torque. In an 1/8 mile they are toast.
popeye
QUOTE (stauf @ Sep 17 2006, 11:43 PM)
i'm with ya pops..  otherwise i would have nixed my legal statement.. biggrin.gif

I know ya are, it's the kids I'm mainly ranting to... The mix of testosterone/youth and stupidity are often a deadly one.
EGT4ME
I had a 97 Honda civic. With juast a few mods that car was quick. Very free revving motor.
SWortham
Street racing? ohmy.gif I'm shocked.

If you can afford to take those risks you can afford to take it to the track. wink.gif
Bobzilla
It wasn't "racing" as much as a "speed contest". . . . .and EC does not condone any such acts . . .
SWortham
QUOTE (Bobzilla @ Sep 18 2006, 12:46 PM)
It wasn't "racing" as much as a "speed contest"

Oh, I see. And he wasn't doing anything illegal, it was just against the law. laugh.gif

I'm just busting your chops. Although I must say that the bragging of a street racing "win" doesn't do anyone any good. It just gives some people bad ideas. That's why we started enforcing the "no street racing posts" rule at EXD years ago.
Bobzilla
But Steve-o, you gotta admit that the clientele between here and XD is a bit different. We all KNOW it's wrong and that we shouldn't do it. THey don't always understand that. . . .
SWortham
QUOTE (Bobzilla @ Sep 18 2006, 01:16 PM)
But Steve-o, you gotta admit that the clientele between here and XD is a bit different.  Most of us KNOW it's wrong and that we shouldn't do it.  A lot of them don't always understand that. . . .

Fixed. biggrin.gif

It's not really a matter of knowing it's wrong because I think everyone understands that.

It's just that a young member who is easily influenced may get that little bit of encouragement online that makes the difference between trying to beat some stranger in a race, and letting them pass. And if you remove a source of encouragement for that sort of thing, it just might save someone's life. I know that's an extreme example but it's plausible.

At least when you take it to the track, everyone (including the bystanders) understands the risks. And depending on what kind of racing you're doing, safety precautions can be such that it's actually safer to race at the track than it is to drive to & from work everyday. At the same time, it's a blast to race on a road course. Coming from a person who has done the legal AND the illegal racing, I can say that racing on a 1.7 mile road course was by far the most rewarding form of racing I've ever done.
gmtorque
QUOTE (Bobzilla @ Sep 18 2006, 08:59 AM)
. . . . and about 90ft-lbs of torque.  In an 1/8 mile they are toast.

More like 125 ft-lbs Bob. tongue.gif XD is Toast.

90 ft-lbs may be true for a Civic but not the Integra.
Bobzilla
125 IS fine, but not when it doesn't come on until 4500rpms. . . not very usable there.
gmtorque
Actually the torque on those motors comes on around 2000rpm and stays quite flat from 3000 to 7000rpm.

They are not as weak as you want them to be.
SWortham
QUOTE (gmtorque @ Sep 18 2006, 02:24 PM)

Haha, that's a funny way to put it.
Bobzilla
QUOTE (gmtorque @ Sep 18 2006, 02:24 PM)
Actually the torque on those motors comes on around 2000rpm and stays quite flat from 3000 to 7000rpm.

On the 170hp V-tec motors, yes you are right. On the standard 140hp (which isn't 140hp by the SAE standards, more like 132) non-vtec engines the torque was as peaky as the hp. Up high. Trust me. . . .I've learned a little being stuck in an alien environment.
gmtorque
Dyno charts I have seen show the 140hp motor to be above 110 wheel torque from 3000-7000 rpm which a nice gradual rise and fall.

No problems with that at all.

The GS-R motor is even better with torque of 125 at the wheels from 3000 upto 150 around 7000
Bobzilla
Well, SOTP feel is a dog until 4k. Maybe a dyno can find that much, but my butt feels nothing on the bottom end. The v-tecs are better but feel weak until 3k. They both make my Elantra feel like a SBC off the line. Granted, they rev like there is no tomorrow. So good in fact you need to be concerned with over-reving them. . . like the K20 we have in the shop right now.

But bottom end, where the day 2 day driving is. . . wouldn't trade on a bet.
---------
Interesting find. . . the 92 I raced at the venue formerly known as IRP was rated 140hp and 121 tq. Is within 150lbs ofthe 94-01's and I spanked it. By almost a full second. According to some of y'all that's impossible.
silet
I have both cars and the Integra is at least a half second faster in the 1/4 mile...

Now a manual J2 would be a different story.
Bobzilla
I do believe your wife's car is the 160hp version though Tels. 20hp and the weight difference WOULD make it faster.
xxxmonoxidechild
late 80's would have been a 1st gen teggy. they were d SERIES motor with no balls. factory times were low 18's, high 17's.

did it have pop up headlights? if so, then it would have been a 1st gen. also 1st gen teggy's were from 86-89. they were the first car acura ever made available in america i believe, and also the only DOHC D-series ever in america also
Bobzilla
QUOTE (xxxmonoxidechild @ Sep 18 2006, 04:42 PM)
late 80's would have been a 1st gen teggy. they were  d SERIES motor with no balls. factory times were low 18's, high 17's.

did it have pop up headlights? if so, then it would have been a 1st gen. also 1st gen teggy's were from 86-89. they were the first car acura ever made available in america i believe, and also the only DOHC D-series ever in america also

Please . . . . .I friggin WORK for an acura dealer! This was our Shipping/recieving guys 92 LS 3dr hatch. I KNOW which gen it was and know that it's not vtech.
xxxmonoxidechild
QUOTE (Bobzilla @ Sep 18 2006, 04:46 PM)
Please . . . . .I friggin WORK for an acura dealer!  This was our Shipping/recieving guys 92 LS 3dr hatch.  I KNOW which gen it was and know that it's not vtech.

wow, i was responding to the person that started this thread, not yourself, so your quite out of line to respond with such disrespect for absolutly no reason.

and congrats you work for an acura dealer....... thumbsup.gif
Bobzilla
QUOTE (xxxmonoxidechild @ Sep 18 2006, 04:49 PM)
wow, i was responding to the person that started this thread, not yourself, so your quite out of line to respond with such disrespect for absolutly no reason.

and congrats you work for an acura dealer....... thumbsup.gif

Excuse me? You quoted noone in particular and since I was the last one to post, I was left to guess who you were talking about/too.

Disrespect? Where do you find that? Simmer down and relax a bit. It's only Mr Gores Internet for crying out loud. Don't automatically assume that everyone writes in a negative tone. Trust me, never take me serious! twak.gif
trololololo
older integras 'CAN' be pretty nice...

too bad 95% i see sound like PO'ed Bee's caught in a soda can.
stauf
Bobbo is correct.. It wasn't really a race, more of a speed contest.. We didn't race from light to light, simply to ~70mph when I skipped 4th, hit 5th and the brakes.. tongue.gif

I'd say I had him on smackdown in the 1/8th, but he had to have more hp and a better 3rd gear. cuz I refuse to think i screwed up somewhere.. lol biggrin.gif

as to the headlight question, i don't believe they were popups, but to be honest I wasn't looking behind me to notice since my eyes were facing what was ahead of me. sorry but as i'd love to reduce the idiot population of la, i can't bring myself to play carmagedon just yet...
Bobzilla
OOOOOOHHHH. . .someone ELSE that remembers Carmagedon!!!! I loved that game.
EGT4ME
QUOTE (Bobzilla @ Sep 18 2006, 05:46 PM)
Please . . . . .I friggin WORK for an acura dealer!  This was our Shipping/recieving guys 92 LS 3dr hatch.  I KNOW which gen it was and know that it's not vtech.

Huh? Months before I started posting on this board I did a lot of just reading. I could sware that you said in another thread that you worked for a Hyundai dealer now you work for an Acura dealer? Which one is it? Are you a mechanic and fix both brands?
ricerrx7
He started his career at a Hyundai dealership, and now he works for Acura.
EGT4ME
QUOTE (ricerrx7 @ Oct 14 2006, 09:44 AM)
He started his career at a Hyundai dealership, and now he works for Acura.

Dude, If he's in sales then he should be be driving an Acura! Not a Hyundai!!
cclngthr
QUOTE (EGT4ME @ Oct 15 2006, 06:50 PM)
Dude, If he's in sales then he should be be driving an Acura! Not a Hyundai!!

He's a parts bish.
Ishtar
He's in Parts.

Noone in their right mind would sell cars for a living tongue.gif
Bobzilla
QUOTE (Ishtar @ Oct 15 2006, 08:53 PM)
He's in Parts.

Noone in their right mind would sell cars for a living tongue.gif

ain't that the truth! Is it me, or am I smelling another troll?

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.