This is an archived forum community. It's currently closed to new memberships.
ElantraClub - for all generations

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules Overview
18 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Closed TopicStart new topic
> HYUNDAI cars are WORTHLESS!
sofpan
post Sep 19 2008, 03:33 AM
Post #1 | Print

Club Newbie
Group: Banned
Posts Per Day: 0.00
Thanks Received: 0
Trader Stats: 0 (0%)
Member No.: 6,499
Mood: Calm

wink.gif I will tell you something from my experience. I own a HYUNDAI Accent from 1998 and have only 92.000 klms (that would be about 65.000 miles). I also -and always- drive "gently". I don't drive fast, I don't accelarate strong, I don't go above 90 klms (70 miles) per hour because I want to have fuel economy.

HYUNDAI cars generally may be cheap to buy, seems to have enough good technical specifications and they're good looking. But I believe its not worth because:
a) it has poor construction quality,
B) it appears often mechanical and electrical malfunctions,
c) the fuel consumption usually is bigger than this described by its book,
d) it has expensive genuine parts so an EXPENSIVE SERVICE,
e) it burns lots of oils inside its engine (so, I have to carry always Oil with me). The cost to fix it is very big.
f) when I drive I hear sounds and “cracks” from the main body and the plastics of the car.

In the long term, I EXPERIENCED ALL THESE PROBLEMS. My opinion is absolutely NEGATIVE for HYUNDAI generally. When I will have to replace my car, I will not buy a HYUNDAI again (not only Accent, I mean any HYUNDAI). That's for sure! Don't make the same mistake I made. It's wasted money. The money that you earn by working hard.

If HYUNDAI had quality, it would have it in 1998 and today (as a principle). Often, the quality is better when someone has an older model, because every car industry by the pressure of lower cost, reduce the quality year by year. In the other hand, when a car factory is new in the game (as HYUNDAI was in 1998) makes better products because the Industry is not known (famous) and want to have costumers. As the years passing, they reduce the quality because they gain fans. Fans have no brain. They want tell you the truth: they are fans. So, do not take HYUNDAI.
Take any car, but first search the Internet for the owners opinions, reviews, problems etc..

And because some guys say that Hyundai may be had low quality at 1998 but nowadays make improvements and has good quality anymore, I will say to them that:
If HYUNDAI had done improvements in the quality of its cars at the last decade, then why the resale value of Hyundai cars is still very low? Anybody can say anything. I say that Hyundai cars are not worthing, someone else says they worth. How someone can know who is true? I will tell you. The resale value of the cars balances by demand and supply. Someone finds the resale value at the secondary cars market. The whole market is formulating by demand and supply. We have all the Hyundai's owners and all the possible buyers. If we consider that demand is stable, we have the unstable factor "supply". The resale value is very low. WHY? Because the total of the already Hyundai owners are not sutisfied with their Hyundais and so, they want to sell their "good" cars and accept the low value that the buyers of the secondary market give them. Otherwise we can not have a low resale market value. The whole market shout to us that "Hyundai are not good cars". That's why they don't have good resale value. If they were good cars (today, not in 1998), their owners would appreciated and they wan't like to sell them. If they wouldn't like to sell them, the supply of used Hyundais would be small and... magically... the Hyundais would have better resale value. And we are speaking for today, not 1998.

---> Look always for negative opinions. Because those that have negative opinions they have nothing to gain from that. I just tell you that Hyundai doesn't make good cars and I win nothing from that. If someone tells you a positive opinion, maybe, I just say may be, have something to gain. May be is working for Hyundai, may be he is trying to sell a Hyundai, may be wants to justify his choise of Hyundai and wants to feel nice... Conlusion: Negative opinions worth more from positives.

---> As for all these top positionigs and awards from some organizations to Hyuandais, that some guys tell us, I simply discredit them. How do I know that they are real tests and these organizations have nothing to gain, they don't payed off, even if they are "non-profit"??? (advertisements, hidden payments, etc)

So, my opinion: Hyundai didn't have quality at the old days (1998) that noone knew that korean automaker. Now, Hyundai makes cheap cars, that seems good. But they are not. If they hadn't quality yesterday, they will have not tomorrow. It'a a matter of principle. Or you have or you have not... As I said before, today they have funs (= no brain) that willing to follow them (because Hyundais are cheap, seems good and they're good looking). And if you have today any car of any brand, new, it will be in a good condition for 5-6 years. What happens after that? That is the Question. I believe that Hyundai they weren't and they aren't good cars for someone that wants a car for 10-15 years, as a usefull tool and not for a "toy" and short term period of 4-5 years. Finally even I have not drive a KIA, I believe that they are the same bad cars as Hyundais and the reason for that is that HYUNDAI and KIA are the same Group. So, and because Quality is a matter of principle, I'm sure that as Hyundai doesn't have, so and KIA. So be carefull!!! Away from them!

I can show to you that I am objective because I will tell you and the positives that my Accent has: it has a strong Air Condition, which is very useful fot the hot Summers. Till now (a decade) it has only some really tiny rusts in the outside surface that I can see.

Let's see if you accept kind, polite dialogue. After all, I am a real Hyundai owner and I have the right to tell my complaints.

This post has been edited by sofpan: Sep 19 2008, 08:58 AM

--------------------

Sofianopoulos Panayiotis (sofpan)

sofpan@yahoo.com
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mregt02
post Sep 19 2008, 05:46 AM
Post #2 | Print

You can't triple stamp a double stamp!
Group Icon
Group: Lifetimer
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Member No.: 387
Mood: Annoyed

??

--------------------

2002 Hatch, Silver, Tib sway bar, 5 speed

+Quote Post
joelpatrick
post Sep 19 2008, 05:59 AM
Post #3 | Print

Club Newbie
Group Icon
Group: Members
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Member No.: 6,044

Wow, you are dumb.

--------------------

A proud member of the club.

+Quote Post
sarge
post Sep 19 2008, 06:26 AM
Post #4 | Print

CarPuter Masta!
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 1.04
Thanks Received: 130
Trader Stats: 11 (100%)
Member No.: 4,300
Mood: Relaxed

I'm not really sure I understand your point... other than you've got a 10 year old Accent that's having some issues.
How much have you spent on repairs? I'm sure it can't be all that much or you would have moved onto another car by now.

Welcome to the club
....and to 2008; where cars (all brands) are made better to deal with the safety standards.
Granted Hyundai is still pretty new to the game, but is making great improvements in all the lines of their manufacturing. I mean 10 years makes alot of change, and to completely bypass probably their best years of manufacturing jumping to your conclusion that all Hyundai products are crap is a little harsh. I'm by no means a dedicated Hyundai owner, with this being only my first; but I'm not finding any flaws with manufacturing. Only the things you get to deal with when buying a used car and driving 50000KMs in just over a year. I know for fact that there are things I don't like, and don't work on my sisters 2005 Pontiac Pursuit, or my brothers 2006 Dodge 1500... and Dodge/GM have been in the business a long time.
As a small example... 1984, Pontiac released the 4cyl Fiero... it had it's issues, oil leaks, fires...but did Pontiac just give up? no they released a v6 model in 1985, and a repaired their 4cyl. Then they made changes to the suspension to make it better. All this was done within 4 years.
So to base your assumptions that all Hyundais are bad because you are having some issues with a 98 Accent is complete crap. Have you driven a newer model to compare and see the changes they've made in 10 years? It's called evolution, things get changed generally for the better over time.
Good luck with getting a problem-free vehicle to last 10 years.
You should try Toyota... their genuine part prices are worse.

As a nice (modified) quote from Billy Madison:
Sofpan, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever read. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone on this forum is now dumber for having read it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

--------------------

carPC Build Thread | My Elantra Site | My Fiero Site | My WebSite | Donate here to keep ElantraClub online and growing.

+Quote Post
BNystrom
post Sep 19 2008, 06:34 AM
Post #5 | Print

Post Maniac
Group Icon
Group: Members
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Thanks Received: 26
Member No.: 21

This guy doesn't even seem old enough to have a driver's license. The Jedi animation at the bottom really makes me wonder...well, that and the fact that nothing he says even remotely makes sense. Perhaps it's just a case of ESL, but I suspect that this is just some kid with nothing better to do than troll forums.

This post has been edited by BNystrom: Sep 19 2008, 06:34 AM

--------------------

Regards

Brian

'04 Elantra GT 5 door, silver with:
Tib Sway bar, TWM Shifter w/raised frame and custom leather boot, PCV Filter, Disabled Clutch Interlock, Clutchvavlectomy, Fram Drain Valve, Independent Fog Lights, Key Out Sunroof Mod, Cabin Air Filter, Ground Wire Buss, A/C defroster bypass

+Quote Post
Bigs
post Sep 19 2008, 06:38 AM
Post #6 | Print

I ran out of ideas...
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 1.49
Thanks Received: 31
Member No.: 158
Mood: Indescribable

QUOTE (sofpan @ Sep 19 2008, 04:33 AM) *
c) the fuel consumption usually is bigger than this described by its book,

You tell me who isn't?

Dude, your car is a 98? rolleyes.gif It will crack, probably burn oil... Sometimes, old cars with low mileage will have more issues as everything dries up and cracks. My brother had a 1995 accent... He got rid of it in 2007. HO ISSUES other than regular maintenance! If you maintain your car, it should be good to you.

On top... Hyundai parts are quite cheap, if you don't buy them at the dealer.

Hence, the reason we have a car club like this. To help people save money and learn more about their cars.

I think your issue is... You probably got a lemon. Shit happens my friend!

--------------------

2017 Santa Fe Sport SE 2.4L AWD (mine)
2016 Accent SE (wife)
How to donate - Let's keep the Club alive!

+Quote Post
Bobzilla
post Sep 19 2008, 06:40 AM
Post #7 | Print

Proud GLT Owner
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 3.03
Thanks Received: 633
Trader Stats: 3 (100%)
Member No.: 532
Mood: Hyper

Likely a Hyundai hater because he has nothing better to do?

Just so you know, I have 96k MILES (155k km's) and I beat my car daily. No issues that are not owner derived. Wifes 2000 Accent (affectionately called the "Turd") has 152k MILES (246k km's) and is a decent little runabout. Are they LExus/Acura/Infiniti/Cadillac quality? Nope. But when I only paid a 1/5 of the cost, you kinda expect that.

Grow up sonny.

--------------------

Founding Member of the Indiana Chapter of the Teeny Weeny Club for Secure Adult Males

"Drag racing is for fast cars, and autocrossing is for fast drivers" -Toecutter

+Quote Post
silet
post Sep 19 2008, 06:44 AM
Post #8 | Print

Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 1.70
Thanks Received: 137
Trader Stats: 14 (100%)
Member No.: 5
Mood: Blah

sofpan, you make a lot of great points. Hyundai resale value is nothing, they have mechanical issue, produce a lemon here and there and most of all listening to negative opinions is a good thing! I agree with you 100% on those points.

However, and this is just based on your one and only post, I would not consider your opinion if I had to buy a car. Again, just based on your one singular post, I don't see you having much knowledge about cars or that you have driven a variety of them.

We may have a lot fans here, but we also have talked about the problems Hyundai has, so I really don't get the point of your topic...

--------------------

05 Tidal Wave GLS 5 spd

+Quote Post
Bobzilla
post Sep 19 2008, 06:54 AM
Post #9 | Print

Proud GLT Owner
Group Icon

His post may have had more validity if he had actually spelled Hyundai correctly in his title.

--------------------

Founding Member of the Indiana Chapter of the Teeny Weeny Club for Secure Adult Males

+Quote Post
NovaResource
post Sep 19 2008, 07:32 AM
Post #10 | Print

Poster Pro
Group: Banned
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Member No.: 919
Mood: Rejected

I own a HYUNDAI Accent from 1998

^^^ There's you problem right there. Pre-2000 Hyundai was crap. But they have gotten much better.

If HYUNDAI had quality, it would have it in 1998 and today (as a principle). Often, the quality is better when someone has an older model, because every car industry by the pressure of lower cost, reduce the quality year by year.

Explain Honda and Toyota then? Are Honda and Toyota better today then you were in the 1970's? You bet they are.

And because some guys say that Hyundai may be had low quality at 1998 but nowadays make improvements and has good quality anymore, I will say to them that:
If HYUNDAI had done improvements in the quality of its cars at the last decade, then why the resale value of Hyundai cars is still very low?

Because reputation always takes longer to improve. The quality must improve first before peoples opinion change. Hyundai has been improving quality over the years and not their reputation is also slowly improving.

BTW, you realize this is an ELANTRA forum, not an ACCENT forum. The Accent is the economy/entry-level car. The quality will always be slightly lower than their more upscale and expensive cars.

This post has been edited by NovaResource: Sep 19 2008, 07:33 AM

--------------------

NovaResource: E-Club's #1 A-hole. Unwanted as a Lifetimer.

+Quote Post
jamhandman
post Sep 19 2008, 07:44 AM
Post #11 | Print

Post Maniac
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Thanks Received: 57
Member No.: 4,755
Mood: Accomplished

I can agree with his complaints that the interior has issues, but mechanically I feel my Hyundai will last for well over 100K Miles.

I wonder how long sofpan has waited to write this post?

Does anyone think he/she will ever return to reply?

--------------------

EC ROCKS! Show your support, ask/answer questions, start topics, post pictures, and donate!! Woots!

+Quote Post
Bobzilla
post Sep 19 2008, 07:53 AM
Post #12 | Print

Proud GLT Owner
Group Icon

Did I also mention that at 130k the engine didn't use oil and the wife is CONSISTENTLY getting 38mpg out of her Accent?

--------------------

+Quote Post
18 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Closed TopicStart new topic
1 user(s) are reading this topic (1 guests and 0 anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Hyundai ATF SPF-III and Synthetic Mobil One 5W30 - 4 Quart bottles - $10
Plus engine and cabin air filters - Pick up or ship
0 olidx 854 25th October 2016 - 05:35 PM
Last post by: olidx
No New Posts Hyundai surprisingly dropping the Sonata
5 elantragt 16,021 2nd April 2016 - 09:52 AM
Last post by: elantragt
No New Posts Hyundai looking to improve it's performance cred
3 elantragt 7,774 14th June 2015 - 09:48 PM
Last post by: mlumz
No New Posts Hyundai Master Tech's?
Any Hyundai Master Tech's in here?
0 13ABLtd 539 1st June 2015 - 12:08 AM