This is an archived forum community. It's currently closed to new memberships.
ElantraClub - for all generations

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules Overview

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> An interesting air intake mod, from the archive
elantragt
post Jan 26 2005, 12:08 AM
Post #1 | Print

Club Founder
Group Icon
Group: Admin
Posts Per Day: 3.04
Thanks Received: 2809
Trader Stats: 16 (100%)
Member No.: 1
Mood: Okay

Here's the deal:

A member sent in a very well written idea for a DIY intake mod w/pics. I was going to post it but have some concerns that this setup may be disasterous if folks live in areas prone to heavy rain and flooding. I want members opinion on wheter this is worthwhile to publish at the site or too risky. Or could it be labeled as "A dry weather intake mod"

Here's the mod:
- - - - - - - - - - - -

This mod isn’t about reinventing the wheel by any means. It came about, as I was following the “Easy Air Intake Mod” in the DIY section. Once I tore into the project, it seemed to me there had to be a better way to place this decent size, flexible inlet hose that did nothing but wrap down one side the battery and up the other side into a small confined space behind the driver side headlight that barely has any air flow, if any.

Tools needed: 10mm socket wrench, cross head screwdriver, drill & zip ties

First start by taking off the air filter cover and removing the inlet tube in the top of the cover as described in the “Easy Air Intake Mod”.

Remove the three bolts from the bottom of the filter case and detach from the air intake top inlet tube.

The plastic air intake shield is attached by three plastic screws that when removed, reveal end of the air intake tube located between the battery and the driver side headlight.
Pull the plastic tube end off and remove the one bracket bolt holding the flexible tube in place.

Push the tube down behind the radiator hose. There is a plastic shield there bolted to the frame.

I ended up drilling (2) sets of two holes in the plastic shield. One set to secure the plastic inlet end to the flexible tube with zip ties. The other set of holes keeps the flexible tube from rubbing against the radiator hose (secured with more zip ties).

Reassemble everything else back together in reverse order.

As you can see it is relatively easy to face the air inlet forward and hang just low enough to get a good flow of air into the system. Even with a standard air filter the power increase in the higher gears is very noticeable (I have a 5 speed manual), especially on the open road acceleration is dramatic.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

In the photos he provided the hose ends up all the way down below the front air dam. Isn't this awfully low and almost certain to get water in it?

It really depends upon the size of the hose and whether the hose opening is completely submerged under water and for how long. In order for water to get all the way to the IM the tube must be completely filled to the filter. That is a lot of water and a lot of suction. My new air box will have an air tube inlet at 4 inches in diameter, up to the canister which is 6 inches in diameter. Also I don't live in any sort of flood area.
I don't think that I will ever have a problem with water reaching the IM, even driving through deep puddles.

I you live in an area prone to flooding, you shouldn't do this kind of modification because the hose could be submerged for an extended period of time. You're better off with a shorty over a CAI too.

A clear supplemental warning (the DIY section already has warnings) would probably be prudent, but I don't think that members should be kept from this kind of info. Most of us don't have to worry about flooding. - oiml8

Can we see the pic of the inlet? - JMontigny

Here's the pic Jay:

Certainly a good idea for a performance mod... but living here in florida with the random heavy rain we get... i personally would not do it... but for those who live in areas where it is typically dry and where they do not got a whole lot of rain.. i think this would be a very good alternative for a CAI... but again i would have to agree with the concerns of hydrolock... it seems water would be easily able to get into the air inlet.. cause of course the intake is nothing but an oversize vacuum!! all it would take is a big puddle in front of you... or a mack truck to scream through a puddle and splash water directly into the intake!! -kmr327

All you would have to do is install an AEM Bypass Valve. That way if water gets sucked up, it will simply go out through the bypass valve and not get into the engine. Correct me if i'm wrong - gt123321

The AEM valve will only function if that hose is submerged under water... I think that is alittle low, almost acting as a scoop to force water into the engine, which the bypass valve will do nothing in that case.

The valve does not let water out, when there is a compleate blockage, (totaly under water) it opens and then alows air to be sucked into the engine from under the hood (where the valve is) instead of the water..... - RShack

The photo Mitch posted seems problematic to me even in non flood areas. The pipe looks sub 3 inches. Plus it is lower than the fascia. I think this design poses some real dangers even with moderate rain fall.

I think that this mod would be better posted and discussed with it's creator before admitted to the DIY section. Not for liability issues but for whether is is even a good design or idea in the first place.

Nothing against the member, but I'd like to see this debated first. Maybe he can shead some light on it from his experiences.-oiml8

The whole filter or the whole mouth of the tube in this case would have to be submerged. Not the whole intake itself, but the whole opening, which in most cases will not happen anyway, rendering the bypass valve pretty much useles....unless of course you drive in a puddle or lake thats 2 feet deep....or however high up your CAI filter sits in the fender. - RShack

I know I had this displayed in another thread, and I know the general consensus is that a CAI will provide better airflow than this mod I did, but it is along the same lines as what was described in the first post on this thread, minus the resonator. Plus it's cheap and looks stock.

What I've drawn here is what I have in my '04 and could be extended to allow the inlet to come from almost anywhere (for the '01-'03 models), and maintain the 3-inch diameter. -ASC04GT

now with that idea how about if you put the cone filter on the end of the elbow and remove the stock filter. i wonder what that would do? - luckydvl

I would not put any intake spout under the car like that. I think you are asking for trouble when it comes to water. The inlet should be in the fenderwell area or in the engine compartment.

You could put it up if you want but place a warning about a high chance for water intake. -JMontigny

--------------------

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 user(s) are reading this topic (1 guests and 0 anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Air Intake Systems
What have you found to be the best intakes?
14 VIG 5,971 13th July 2017 - 01:11 PM
Last post by: elantragt
No New Posts anyone live in baltimore area?
13 05daily 62,953 11th April 2017 - 10:01 AM
Last post by: Alphabetwiz
No New Posts Another OEM Nav upgrade?
0 Docnoisewater 1,235 2nd March 2017 - 09:35 PM
Last post by: Docnoisewater
No New Posts Any recommended age-related maintenance?
2 DaveJ 740 19th February 2017 - 11:13 AM
Last post by: DaveJ
No New Posts Topic has attachmentsAnyone remember this?
3 elantragt 2,652 20th December 2016 - 02:51 PM
Last post by: trololololo

Copyright 2022 The Elantra Club    
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:12 AM
Elantra Club is not affiliated in any way with Hyundai Motor America