This is an archived forum community. It's currently closed to new memberships.
ElantraClub - for all generations

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules Overview
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 2013 Compact Hatch market, Friendly debate on current hatch offerings
Silentwolf
post Apr 8 2013, 03:47 PM
Post #1 | Print

2006 GLS Hatch
Group Icon
Group: Lifetimer
Posts Per Day: 1.02
Thanks Received: 87
Trader Stats: 3 (100%)
Member No.: 2,051
Mood: Accomplished

So hatches are getting a bit more common now days but M/T offerings are dwindling. Engine technologies have vastly improved in the last few yrs making the iron block BETA feel really antiquated. I'm always looking to see whats out there, and figured I'd see what others thought/feel. Some of you obviously made your decision already with getting the 13' EGT

This debate will cover the under 25k (MSRP) Compact hatch market. Lets try and put Hyundai bias aside and simply align your list with possible reasons as to why if you had 25k in your pocket to be spent on a hatch.

My first criteria is: Does it have a manual option?
Then: Power, MPG, handling, sound, tech (lots of space pretty much comes with hatches unless its a Prius)

First of course are: Hot hatches (200+ hp)
Ford Focus ST - http://www.edmunds.com/ford/focus-st/2013/...l?sub=hatchback
Mazdaspeed 3 - http://www.edmunds.com/mazda/mazdaspeed3/2...l?sub=hatchback
VW Golf GTI - http://www.edmunds.com/volkswagen/gti/2013...l?sub=hatchback
Hyundai Veloster Turbo - http://www.edmunds.com/hyundai/veloster/20...style=200423128

Next up: Std Hatches (under 200hp)
Ford Focus - http://www.edmunds.com/ford/focus/2013/opt...l?sub=hatchback
Hyundai Elantra GT - http://www.edmunds.com/hyundai/elantra-gt/...l?sub=hatchback
Hyundai Veloster - http://www.edmunds.com/hyundai/veloster/20...l?sub=hatchback
Mazda 3 5door - http://www.edmunds.com/mazda/mazda3/2013/o...l?sub=hatchback
Subaru Impreza 5door - http://www.edmunds.com/subaru/impreza/2013...l?sub=hatchback
Suzuki SX4 - http://www.edmunds.com/suzuki/sx4/2013/opt...l?sub=hatchback
Toyota Matrix - http://www.edmunds.com/toyota/matrix/2013/...l?sub=hatchback
VW Golf - http://www.edmunds.com/volkswagen/golf/201...l?sub=hatchback

Kia Forte left out for this yr due to no manual option. 2014 may be different due to the possible Turbo'd SX model with 6spd M/T.
Mini Cooper is borderline but I consider it more sub-compact than compact.
Honda Fit same as the Mini.

My hot hatches would rank:
Ford Focus ST = premium fuel not required, second best MPGs, most reviews ranking it better handling dynamics than Speed 3, Prefer the looks of the ST over the Speed 3
Mazdaspeed 3 = More power than ST but premium fuel required, more tq steer than ST, lowest MPGs in segment
Hyundai Veloster Turbo = Premium fuel not required, lowest overal power, best MPGs, handling not up to segment standards, price barely under the above 2
VW GTI = Not much more overall power vs Veloster T, third best MPGs, VW gremlins, bland looks

If shopping in the hot hatch area, I'm not going for subtlety. It needs power, handling, and look at me looks. Focus ST looks the most well blended of all those criteria while also returning decent fuel economy.

For the Std hatches:
Subaru Impreza 2.0i Sport Premium = AWD, new FB 2.0 engine improving MPGS and power, AWD, std roof rails, sporty upscale looks, 5spd m/t
Mazda 3 i = Skyactive engine giving good power and exceptional real world MPGs, 6spd m/t, mazda heritage handling, std projector headlights
Ford Focus SE w/ SE2 pack = new 2.0 GDI engines giving great power with MPGs similar to 13' EGT, enticing white n black leather interior, 5spd m/t
Hyundai Elantra GT w/ style pack = Lower power than Focus and 3 along with lower real world MPGs, More tech std, 6spd m/t
Hyundai Veloster w/style pack = Lacking power vs Elantra with similar MPGs, unique looks, nice red n black interior, more std tech, 6spd m/t
VW Golf = TDI option pricey, 2.5 gives good power but substandard MPGs vs segment leaders, bland looks, no tan interior option, VW gremlins, 5spd m/t
Suzuki SX4 w/ tech pack = Good power for segement, Horrid MPGs, cartoony looks, no tan interior option, 6spd m/t
Toyota Matrix S = old engine tech giving power similar to Focus but MPGs worse than SX4, No tan interior option, soso looks, 5spd m/t

In Std hatches, i look for a balance of power and MPGs with smooth sporty looks as well as competitive pricing. Tan or two-tone interiors are a must. Good sound system with bluetooth is a must but navi tech not necessary. The top 4 were really hard for me to place due to price point being within a couple hundred tho some offered a bit more of the extras (leather, nav, ect) that arent as critical to me.

The Impreza took top spot for me due to the improved 2.0 FB engine returning balanced power @ 148hp n 145tq with fuelly avg showing 27.5. That is right around what the XD era Elantra averaged for MPGs but FB engine makes more power than Beta engine. All that factored into the AWD setup, tho it lacks a modern 6spd m/t. In addition, it has a nice upscale sporty look with a nice tan interior. Sound system can be upgraded at factory/dealer with all kicker components (sub, amp, tweeters, main 4 speakers) for under 1k.

The Mazda 3 has the exceptional 2.0 Skyactive engine with 6spd manual returning 155hp and 148tq and avg 32mpgs on fuelly. It is a bit pricier if optioned out like the Impreza sound system, or leather interiors of Focus and Elantra. Coupled with too many nanny devices (rain sensing wipers, auto headlights, etc) if you go with the 3 iGT model. Smiley face doesnt go as well with non-speed model) 2.5 skyactive possibly coming for 2014.

Focus SE new 2.0 GDI engine returns 5more hp than the 3 and only 2 less tq, and avgs 31mpgs on fuelly. Lacks a modern 6spd m/t like Impreza. Focus has unique interior options with White n black leather or red n black for not much money when added to the SE2 pack and still under 23k like the Impreza.

Elantra GT we are all fairly familiar with. Compared to the others tho, it lacks power and real world economy numbers fair much lower than rated at 29mpg avg on fuelly. It does come with the most tech standard, a 6spd m/t, and lightest of the bunch about 200lbs under the Impreza (the heaviest at 3k)

It would ultimately come down to test driving the 4 (impreza, 3, focus, and elantra) for me to really make a purchasing decision. Since Accel, Handling, and Feel can't be read. If Power and MPG w/ price were the only factors, than the Focus would be the winner.

Whats your guy's thoughts/feelings?

--------------------

Hunter: An 06 5-Door GLS w/ items now too numerous to mention here. Check them out in my garage!

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Bobzilla
post Apr 8 2013, 03:52 PM
Post #2 | Print

Proud GLT Owner
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 3.03
Thanks Received: 633
Member No.: 532
Mood: Hyper

Define "this year"? The '14 SX hatch is due around may/june with the 201hp Turbo and 6spd manual.

Now... with that said, the Focus is a no-go for me. The interior has too many compromises. The seating position is terrible, the console rubs the accelerator leg constantly, the gauges are small and hard to read, the seats don't come anywhere close to folding flat (in a hatch? C'mon Ford!) and price.

EGT was what we would have bought had the SX not come up for sale at the price it came up with. None of the other cars had the feel. You know, the right touches, the handling, the brakes, the comfort, the features, the look, the usability etc.

the 3 was never in contention because of the lackluster fuel economy, and the Subie, well, I have too many subie friends. I like them.... for someone ELSE.

--------------------

Founding Member of the Indiana Chapter of the Teeny Weeny Club for Secure Adult Males

"Drag racing is for fast cars, and autocrossing is for fast drivers" -Toecutter

+Quote Post
elantragt
post Apr 8 2013, 04:15 PM
Post #3 | Print

Club Founder
Group Icon
Group: Admin
Thanks Received: 2809
Trader Stats: 16 (100%)
Member No.: 1
Mood: Okay

Why is the Suzuki SX4 even on the list? No way I'd be buying a new car with no dealership network to back the warranty. blush.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
1 members thank elantragt for this post
Vinnie
Silentwolf
post Apr 8 2013, 05:17 PM
Post #4 | Print

2006 GLS Hatch
Group Icon

Bobz: I was thinking 2013 model yr. If that SX comes in at 22k, will make it a very strong contender. Would still prefer tan interior tho and Kia seems notorious for black only.

My accel leg has always rested against/brushed the console on the Elantra. I rarely fold my Elantra seats flat since i'm too lazy to deal with pulling up the bottom part.

3 with lackluster economy?? U must be thinking the old engines. Thats why i referred specifically to the 2.0 skyactive and fuelly averages are beating the Elantra. 2.5 skyactive might be available on the 2014 model but Forte SX would likely be cheaper with similar mpgs and more power.

Mitch: Felt i should include all compact hatches, tho i did forget to mention the dealership issue.

--------------------

Hunter: An 06 5-Door GLS w/ items now too numerous to mention here. Check them out in my garage!

+Quote Post
RPW00Mirage
post Apr 8 2013, 07:40 PM
Post #5 | Print

That Mitsubishi Guy
Group Icon
Group: Leader
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Thanks Received: 423
Member No.: 11,480
Mood: Complacent

while ive never driven a brand new focus, the one my sister had 03? SE sedan 5spd or something and i actually placed really well with it at an autocross laugh.gif and ive driven an 07 (it was not as cool, though).

i will soon have a chance to go and drive an ST. i just have to find one available locally that i can take out. they are sold out up here. most of the NE veloster folks have upgraded to the ST over the VT. compared to what is out there, the general consensus is that you either REALLY love your veloster, or you just like spotting them everywhere while driving something else. and now you can have a remix edition which is basically a base model with some assorted features from both types and a bodykit.

im personally not a huge fan of subarus and i also agree that everyone has, or has had one. but that doesn't take away from it being a solid car.

i'd have to go for the ST as the hot hatch. the Velo/style (RE:mix, please!) for standard.

--------------------

2014 Veloster Turbo - racecar

2002 Elantra GLS - DEAD AND GONE DEAD AND GONE

+Quote Post
yjolly
post Apr 8 2013, 08:44 PM
Post #6 | Print

Expert in generalizations
Group Icon
Group: Members
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Thanks Received: 21
Trader Stats: 0 (0%)
Member No.: 27

Kia Forte left out for this yr due to no manual option.

Strange, all base models of LX, EX and SX have a standard transmission in Canada (yes, 2013). Not that I'd steer you to or away from that particular model, I just thought the statement above didn't make much sense, but it may be the case in the US. I'm shopping for cars myself as we speak; we're just not looking at the same market segment, so I don't have much to contribute to this thread.

Have you seen the youtube video where they pin the Focus ST against the MazdaSpeed 3? It should interest you.

Yves

--------------------

'13 Dark Grey Toyota Camry Hybrid LE, 2.5L w/HSD transmission. RTX 16" Multi Silver Wheels & Stock Tires. WeatherTech floor mats. I live in Luskville, QC (near Ottawa), Canada

+Quote Post
Silentwolf
post Apr 9 2013, 01:30 AM
Post #7 | Print

2006 GLS Hatch
Group Icon

RPW: Give some feedback here when you check out the ST. And ya, my parents owned an 88 GL-10 wagon that had trans and turbo issues. Bypassed the turbo and replaced the trans, then ran it past 200k. My dad's sister owns a 10 Outback wagon.

Yjolly: IF you go to kia.com/us/ , build the Forte 5door, the 6spd A/T is the only offering for both the EX and SX.
Ya, I saw the head to head. Part of what leaned me toward the ST over the Speed3

--------------------

+Quote Post
yjolly
post Apr 9 2013, 07:32 AM
Post #8 | Print

Expert in generalizations
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Thanks Received: 21
Member No.: 27

QUOTE (Silentwolf @ Apr 9 2013, 02:30 AM) *
Yjolly: IF you go to kia.com/us/ , build the Forte 5door, the 6spd A/T is the only offering for both the EX and SX.

Interesting how the list of trims & options varies between the two countries. I'll send you to check: Kia Canada. Let me know if you want one... but you'll have to drive in km; totally different technique! laugh.gif

Yves

--------------------

'13 Dark Grey Toyota Camry Hybrid LE, 2.5L w/HSD transmission. RTX 16" Multi Silver Wheels & Stock Tires. WeatherTech floor mats. I live in Luskville, QC (near Ottawa), Canada

+Quote Post
Bobzilla
post Apr 9 2013, 09:50 AM
Post #9 | Print

Proud GLT Owner
Group Icon
Thanks Received: 633
Member No.: 532
Mood: Hyper

Last I checked, you had to spend $25k to get a Skyactive 3. No thanks.

--------------------

Founding Member of the Indiana Chapter of the Teeny Weeny Club for Secure Adult Males

"Drag racing is for fast cars, and autocrossing is for fast drivers" -Toecutter

+Quote Post
RPW00Mirage
post Apr 9 2013, 10:11 AM
Post #10 | Print

That Mitsubishi Guy
Group Icon
Group: Leader
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Thanks Received: 423
Member No.: 11,480
Mood: Complacent

it comes on the base model, bob

MSRP: $20,000*
2013 MAZDA3 i Touring 5-Door

SKYACTIV-G 155-hp‡, 2.0L DOHC 16-valve 4-cylinder engine with variable valve timing
SKYACTIV-MT 6-speed manual transmission
EPA-estimated mileage city/highway (mpg): 27/38†
16-inch aluminum-alloy wheels
AM/FM/CD/MP3-compatible stereo with 6 speakers and auxiliary-audio input jack
Variable-intermittent wipers
Cloth-trimmed sport seats with 60/40 split fold-down rear seatback
Power door locks
Power side mirrors and windows
Dual-zone automatic climate control
Mazda Advanced Keyless Entry and Start System
Push Button Start
Advanced front air bags, front side-impact air bags and side-impact air curtains‡
Front seat-belt pretensioners with force limiters
Active front headrests
Rear roofline spoiler (i Style)
4-wheel Anti-lock Brake System (ABS)
Dynamic Stability Control (DSC)** and Traction Control System (TCS)
Tire-Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)
Steering-wheel-mounted audio and cruise controls
Bluetooth® hands-free phone and audio capability††
USB audio input port
Leather-wrapped steering wheel and shift knob
Multi Information Display (MID) and Trip Computer

--------------------

2014 Veloster Turbo - racecar

2002 Elantra GLS - DEAD AND GONE DEAD AND GONE

+Quote Post
flcerberus
post Apr 9 2013, 08:46 PM
Post #11 | Print

Berlin Veteran
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Thanks Received: 37
Member No.: 212
Mood: Bemused

Mine would rank as such.

Hot Hatches

VW GTI : Main reason being that it just feels right. You don't so much drive it as you do wear it. It's a road feel thing to me and every GTI I ever drove and the one I owned have that feel.
Veloster Turbo: It has potential and the warranty trumps out the horrible Ford experiences of my past.
MazdaSpeed3 : Can't get the power down effectively and horrible in the rain if my test drive was any indication.
Focus ST: Until I see one that's 5 years old with no paint fade on the roof I won't consider anything from the blue oval.

Std Hatches

Elantra GT: Current experience would bring me back to this first.
Mazda 3: Better without the turbo
VW Golf: It aint a GTI
Impreza: Too Pricey and poor fuel economy with 4 wheel drive
Veloster: Underpowered in this guise
Matrix: Soul less and out dated
SX4 : Going bankrupt in US
Focus: See Focus ST Comment.

Honorable Mention Std Hatch: I would slot the Kia Soul in after the Elantra GT although it is not on your list. Also I would seriously consider a Golf GTD if the rumours are true that they are bringing it stateside. GTI Handling and Diesel torque along with mileage would be a serious consideration if they could keep the price competitive.

Having just test driven a lot of these cars and buying a used 09 Touring with an Auto based on price and previous Elantra experience all are pretty decent cars. The Matrix is long in the tooth and feels very dated all though deals are there it felt like eating dry toast to me. I just don't get the Focus. It reminds me too much of a 90's Grand AM interior and I again have had horrible experiences with Ford products. I did give them a chance with a test drive though. The Mazda 3 was a nice car but too much Ford influence came through to me and the build quality and paint didn't look to be of a very high standard. My family had Mazda's in the past but Mazda has lost something I could not put a finger on. Now I did drive a new GT and it is a great looking and feeling car. However it came down to usability with me and much like the Mazda the design of the hatch vs the 04 GT and the room behind the rear seats was not as easily accessable as the used 09 Touring we purchased. It was definitely a factor and the short cut off roof behind the rear seats vs the gradually sloping hatch or small wagon design was just better. I would have much preferred a manual transmission but it was a used car and the auto in it is not totally horrible. It was also 9 grand less than a new GT.

--------------------

+Quote Post
afob3
post Apr 9 2013, 09:20 PM
Post #12 | Print

Poster Pro
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Thanks Received: 52
Member No.: 640
Mood: Awake

Anybody considered the new beetle? I just saw an ad for a turbo 6 speed for 19,900 at a local dealer on tv.

I didn't realize you could get one set up that way till I hit vw.com's build site.

Not sure i would qualify it as a hot hatch but it certainly has a hatch. Depending on the color and trim, I don't think the current version looks so much like a "chick" car as the previous style.

This post has been edited by afob3: Apr 9 2013, 09:23 PM

--------------------

Change is the ONLY constant.
www.unitegriefsupport.org ________ www.familyobrien.net

+Quote Post
2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 user(s) are reading this topic (1 guests and 0 anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts 2013 GLS Engine Air Filter
Are there two engine air filters?
2 stevesusko 1,468 30th June 2017 - 07:32 PM
Last post by: stevesusko
No New Posts 2013+ GT grill
0 AKENT 878 10th October 2016 - 02:27 PM
Last post by: AKENT
No New Posts 2013 GLS oil filter