This is an archived forum community. It's currently closed to new memberships.
ElantraClub - for all generations

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules Overview
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Story of My 2000 Elantra
Rating 5 V
wizewun
post May 3 2014, 08:27 PM
Post #1 | Print

Club Newbie
Group Icon
Group: Members
Posts Per Day: 0.00
Thanks Received: 29
Trader Stats: 0 (0%)
Member No.: 9,426
Mood: Accomplished

I’m posting this thread here because it covers a multitude of topics.

I need advice on what I should do to improve the performance output from my 2000 Elantra’s 2.0.

I would like to make it faster while not compromising the interior or ride comfort. Everyone I’ve spoken with in the import tuner world looks at me like I’m speaking Latin when I mention the 2.0 from the 2000 Elantra. I’m not trying to build a track car but I would like some increased HP and torque.

To give an idea of where I am now, I’ve put together a little history on my Elantra. Basically I want to show what has been done to the car already and what is in the process of being completed. Some of this content was posted years ago in a section of the forum that has been subsequently archived.

The story of my 2000 Elantra

History

I purchased my 2000 Elantra new on May 18, 2000 from Tuttle Click Hyundai in Irvine California. It had 4 miles on the odometer. It’s Sandalwood metallic pearl with every available option for that year. I needed a reliable commuter and the warranty sold me. The looks aren't bad either rolleyes.gif

(4/2004)

Over the ensuing 14 years, this car has been commuting and road tripping for over 250,000 miles all across the western US.

Bodega Head Whale Watching

June Lake, Eastern Sierra Mtns

Calistoga, Napa Valley snow flurry

First series of modifications.

Around January 2012, at 220,000 miles, the transmission died. Additionally, with that many miles, the Elantra had definitely seen better days. I decided that if I was going to replace the transmission, I’d do a full refresh to the interior and exterior of the car as well.

Interior

Stripped out interior and completely covered interior surfaces with Dynomat Extreme . This took well over 15 work hours and countless cuts and bruises. Always wear gloves

Steam cleaned the carpet while it was out

Replaced factory speakers with Pioneer TS-A6964R A-Series 6"x9" 3-Way (rear) and Pioneer TS-A1304C A-Series 5 1/4" Components (front). I’ll take more photos next time I have the door panels off. The Pioneer tweeters fit perfectly into the stock tweeter location.

Replaced previous head unit with a Pioneer AVIC-X920BT double din navigation unit.

Installed Kansas City Custom’s Leather Interior Package (replaces cloth seats and door inserts with leather) If anyone wants to buy the original cloth covers I have them in pretty good condition. E-mail me. Also replaced the worn window buttons and interior door handles with new ones.

Recarpeted the rear package tray. The old carpet had faded to a pale green

Put in new factory floor mats and installed Elantra scuff plates

I also put in a new center console and console storage bin

Removed old tint and replaced with new 3M 50%

Exterior

Replaced worn headlight enclosures with new ones and installed factory Hyundai Avante fog lights in the factory locations. The American Elantra does not come with mounts behind the fog light covers so custom mounts were made. Lastly I installed matching PIAA 4100k bulbs in the headlights and the fog lights.

Replaced rusty windshield wiper arms with new ones

Installed Avante valve stem covers

Mechanical

Installed new struts, new engine mounts, had the transmission rebuilt at 220,000 miles.

As the Elantra looked in June 2012

In June of 2013 I purchased remanufactured 2009 Kia Spectra Sport package wheels. They're 16x6 with an offset of 43. One of the benefits of using a Kia product is that Hyundai used the same mold to make the Kia Spectra center caps as they did to make the Elantra caps. So, I bought a set of Elantra caps and they popped right into place.

taken Nov 16th on a road trip to Mt. Shasta to do some snow hiking.

That’s where everything stood until November 20, 2013.

On Nov 20 of last year (2013) I loaned the Elantra to a friend to run to the local CVS and back. Unfortunately it didn’t make it back in one piece. sad.gif

So again it was decision time and I still could not bring myself to scrap it. The title is still clean and this could be the perfect opportunity to really finish it off and make the final modifications that I’ve always wanted to.

My friends and my brother in law were right there to help me out. First, we took out the motor and transmission, the radiator and core support, the front bumper, and remove the damaged hood.

The bulk of the hit was to the front drivers side apron and frame.

I grabbed a pristine OEM hood from a local Pick-N-Pull which for the time being will keep the non-damaged sensors and parts dry. Eventually I would like to go for a carbon fiber hood but this will do for the moment.

The Plan!!

SO, first things first, the Idea is to use this Cuper Elantra as the starting point for the new exterior look. I love the look of this body kit.

I would use the Cuper bodykit for the front bumper and side skirts. I didn’t like the rear bumper attachment that comes with the kit so instead I’ve decided to go with the Duraflex Evo rear bumper cover.

I also really wanted to swap in the 2.0T from a 2013 Sonata but after much adu, that would have required completely re-doing the chassis to the tune of $$$...not what I had in mind. So the plan has shifted to modifying/ rebuilding the current motor to increase performance.

The acquisitions

From December 2013 to around mid March 2014 I was in parts gathering mode. The Cuper kit and the Duraflex rear bumper cover eventually arrived as well as all the parts that would be needed to bring the Elantra back to life.

The Re-construction

At the end of March, the Elantra went to my friend Mark’s shop, Poggies Rods and Customs in Santa Rosa to repair the damage done to the frame, the apron, and the core support.

You can really see the damage to the apron here

By Mid April, the frame and apron repairs were done.

Mark and the repairs

The Engine bay was cleaned and re-sprayed.

Lastly, the quarter panels and hood were attached and adjusted.

The Engine

That brings us to where we are today. Before the new bumpers are attached and the Elantra goes in for final paint and body work, I want to get the engine enhancements completed and installed and the engine put back in the car.

At this point I’m open to any and all suggestions.

I’ve heard the basics: new headers, intake, exhaust, and bigger injectors off a 2000 Tiburon w/ tuning to the fuel management system to increase fuel flow.

Alpine Developments used to make a supercharger system for the motor which has been discontinued. The same goes for Sherwood automotives bolt on Turbo kit which is sadly no more.

SO…Thoughts?..... I’d like to keep engine costs under $5k if possible. It’s a stock 2.0 with around 250,000 miles.

Thanks, any and all comments and advice are greatly appreciated!!!

This post has been edited by wizewun: May 3 2014, 08:35 PM

--------------------

A proud member of the club.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
8 members thank wizewun for this post
Alex2013GT, a_v, elantragt, 2000J25SP, roydjt, trololololo, Vinnie, zlodziej00
elantragt
post May 3 2014, 08:36 PM
Post #2 | Print

Club Founder
Group Icon
Group: Admin
Posts Per Day: 3.04
Thanks Received: 2809
Trader Stats: 16 (100%)
Member No.: 1
Mood: Okay

For starters, I'd like to thank you for making such an amazing post! signs-wow.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
2 members thank elantragt for this post
trololololo, Vinnie
trololololo
post May 3 2014, 09:06 PM
Post #3 | Print

Unrustled Jimmy
Group Icon
Group: Lifetimer
Posts Per Day: 1.96
Thanks Received: 166
Trader Stats: 1 (100%)
Member No.: 165
Mood: Forgotten

one of the best posts ever.

well, not sure if NGM's supercharger will work on your car... its about $3000 i think.. for about 250hp

Pulley set will help since you have an automatic... transmission cooler will help keep it cool.

but as always..

NITROUS is best bang for buck. . . $400-500 for kit, and if you want to go spray big, a fuel tuner another $300-500

there's a billion other things you can do to gain bits and peices of power.. i.e. valve job, port and polish, meth inj, timing adjustments..
unfortunately the beta engines were designed for dependability and thrifty mileage

--------------------

Oh no, I'm so sorry... the correct answer is The Moops.

The packaging clearly stated '100'. I'm short ONE luft balloon.

+Quote Post
1 members thank trololololo for this post
Vinnie
2000J25SP
post May 3 2014, 09:18 PM
Post #4 | Print

Poster Pro
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Thanks Received: 229
Member No.: 10,610
Mood: Amused

QUOTE (wizewun @ May 3 2014, 09:27 PM) *
I’ve heard the basics: new headers, intake, exhaust, and bigger injectors off a 2000 Tiburon w/ tuning to the fuel management system to increase fuel flow.

The 2000 Tiburon injectors are identical to the ones you already have. Bolt-ons don't require larger injectors.

QUOTE (wizewun @ May 3 2014, 09:27 PM) *
Alpine Developments used to make a supercharger system for the motor which has been discontinued. The same goes for Sherwood automotives bolt on Turbo kit which is sadly no more.
SO…Thoughts?..... I’d like to keep engine costs under $5k if possible. It’s a stock 2.0 with around 250,000 miles.

Rebuild the motor or swap one with lower mileage, turbo it, I can't guarantee how long that autotragic is going to last...

--------------------

2000 Elantra

+Quote Post
Snakoil
post May 5 2014, 03:35 PM
Post #5 | Print

Club Regular
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Thanks Received: 4
Member No.: 14,393

Since nobody in north america managed to succesfully flash the hyundai ECU for the beta motor you'll need to go at it "old school"
You could get a self oiled supercharger to avoid issues with oil lines and exhaust manifold
I'd gladly sell you my toyota sc14 but shipping would be the killer.

Then you would use an apexi safc to adjust fuel
The rule in the old days turbo setup like that was about 7psi on a t25 to avoid engine problems
Yes, it was a very vague era of tuning!

This should allow you to get additionnal power.
If you look at the mazdaspeed protege, similar threatment got it to 175hp

With these 2 ghetto components you should be good for 500$
You now have 4.5k left to tune or replace engine when you'll blow it

--------------------

+Quote Post
rstnick
post May 5 2014, 08:22 PM
Post #6 | Print

Power Poster
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Thanks Received: 59
Member No.: 8,056
Mood: Carefree

thumbsup.gif

--------------------

Rob

2004 Elantra GT - traded in
2012 Elantra Touring GL, Titanium Grey, Auto, 2.0, Konig rims, tinted.
Two Kawasaki KZ650 Cs, a '77 C1 project, stock, and a '78 C2 with over 123,000 kms, modified.

+Quote Post
Joel_W
post May 19 2014, 08:15 PM
Post #7 | Print

Club Newbie
Group Icon
Thanks Received: 5
Member No.: 18,083
Mood: Contemplative

an extraordinary story. The amount and type of work you've completed to date is so far above what the average Elantra owner could ever think of attempting. Just looking at your total rebuild of the interior was amazing.

--------------------

Joel_W

+Quote Post
1 members thank Joel_W for this post
wizewun
Alex2013GT
post May 19 2014, 10:56 PM
Post #8 | Print

GT for life!
Group Icon
Group: VIP Members
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Thanks Received: 478
Trader Stats: 2 (100%)
Member No.: 34
Mood: Optimistic

This was one of the best threads I've ever read. I can't wait to hear the next chapter! Ohh and a HUGE welcome to the club! thumbsup.gif

--------------------

Please consider helping keep the club online and independent. Donate here to help the club.

Current Car: 2013 Hyundai Elantra GT, 6 spd manual w/ the style and tech packages
Previous Hyundai's: 2011 Hyundai Sonata SE in Venetian Red; 2006 Hyundai Sonata GLS, 3.3L V-6 in Ebony Black; 2004 Elantra GT, 5 spd manual in tidal wave blue

+Quote Post
FurunoFan
post May 20 2014, 07:43 AM
Post #9 | Print

J.Electron-Elantra 2013 GT
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Thanks Received: 120
Member No.: 13,648
Mood: Happy

Dedication to the core; wow.
Nice job!

--------------------

A proud member of the Elantra club.
2013 Elantra GT 6-Sp M/T w/Style
2008 Nissan Versa SL

+Quote Post
wizewun
post May 23 2014, 10:43 PM
Post #10 | Print

Club Newbie
Group Icon

Thanks for all the advice. Sorry I haven't replied sooner, between work and life I've been pretty swamped.

Since the last post we've torn down the motor to the long block. I'll know more about what mods are feasible after the machine shop has a look at it next week. I like the self oiled supercharger idea so one of the big decisions is going to be compression and whether or not I can afford supercharging or turbocharging and doing it right. Also on the table are boring, porting and polishing, lighter pistons, performance cams etc.

Keep the advice coming

Cheers

Here are a few pics of the tear down.

All wrapped up and ready to be worked on

--------------------

+Quote Post
wizewun
post Jun 12 2014, 02:15 AM
Post #11 | Print

Club Newbie
Group Icon

Here's an update on the motor progress. Most of the motor work has been completed (see worksheet below). Some more porting and polishing on the intake manifold is still required. Additionally the cams have yet to be worked on but I'm told that will take place either this week or next. Lastly, final cleaning, re-spraying (silver) and long block assembly should come soon. I'll take more pics then.

Other projects that are in various stages of completion:

Sanderson Headers will be making custom ceramic coated stainless steel headers as soon as the new cam properties are determined.

The Transmission is being delivered tomorrow to be inspected, cleaned, and re-sealed. At a later date when the motor and transmission are back together and in the car, a transmission cooler will be installed.

I'm looking into a high pressure fuel pump and injectors as well as doing research on the best way to control fuel flow.
(any suggestions on aftermarket computers is always appreciated)

Looking into braided fuel lines

Mechanical projects that still need to be addressed:

Cold air intake

custom exhaust into dual Borla mufflers

looking into front and rear sway bars

looking into rear disk conversion from a Tiburon

Lastly, some photos as the motor sits today.

This post has been edited by wizewun: Jun 12 2014, 02:18 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
1 members thank wizewun for this post
elantragt
elantragt
post Jun 12 2014, 07:17 AM
Post #12 | Print

Club Founder
Group Icon
Group: Admin
Posts Per Day: 3.04
Thanks Received: 2809
Trader Stats: 16 (100%)
Member No.: 1
Mood: Okay

Thanks for the update! Great engine pics.

--------------------

+Quote Post
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 user(s) are reading this topic (2 guests and 0 anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No new Topic has attachmentsThe stay in touch thread
58 elantragt 185,952 29th July 2023 - 02:09 AM
Last post by: natesi
No New Posts Elantra Sport review
4 elantragt 108,491 21st June 2017 - 05:26 PM
Last post by: elantragt
No New Posts The new Elantra GT is on it's way
6 elantragt 128,454 21st June 2017 - 08:11 AM
Last post by: elantraelite
No new Pinned: Topic has attachmentsThe Official EC bike thread!
286 popeye 10,173 29th May 2017 - 11:33 AM
No New Posts My 2017 AD Elantra RS (Yes RS) :)-
4 billy4u 65,639 26th January 2017 - 09:16 PM

Copyright 2022 The Elantra Club    
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 05:02 AM
Elantra Club is not affiliated in any way with Hyundai Motor America