This is an archived forum community. It's currently closed to new memberships.
ElantraClub - for all generations

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules Overview

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Hyundai´s New Universe Coach Launched
davids03xd
post Nov 13 2006, 09:08 PM
Post #1 | Print

Post Maniac
Group Icon
Group: Lifetimer
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Thanks Received: 0
Trader Stats: 0 (0%)
Member No.: 2,191
Mood: Calm

• Sets new standards for performance, comfort and refinement
(Seoul, Korea) Targeting new market opportunities overseas, Hyundai Motor Co. is replacing its decade-old line of Aero coaches with the all-new Universe.
Sporting a sleek, aerodynamic look and developed over a 36-month period under the PY project codename, the Universe features numerous improvements and new technologies which will enable Hyundai to compete in key overseas markets, including North America, Europe and Japan. Backed by USD$ 100 million development budget, the Universe project team benchmarked the world´s leading models with the aim of setting a new world-class standard for comfort, performance, and durability.
"We´re absolutely confident that the Universe matches or exceeds the competition in every measurable respect," said Choi Han-Young, president of the Commercial Vehicle Division. Following its launch in the Korean market this week, the new Universe will be exported to overseas markets starting next year. By 2010, worldwide sales of the Universe are projected to reached 21,000 units, with overseas markets accounting for 11,000 of the total.

Modern Dynamic Styling
Starting with a clean sheet of paper, Hyundai engineers adopted a monocoque body which has enhanced structural rigidity by more than 15 percent. This contributes to a reduction in vibration. Extensive wind tunnel testing resulted in a drag coefficient of 0.43, an improvement over the 0.49 of the predecessor, leading to reduced wind noise and a quieter ride. Redesigned side mirrors also help reduce wind turbulence while multi-focus reflector headlamps and an expansive front windscreen impart a sleek, thoroughly modern look.

Improved Ergonomics
Drivers will appreciate the increased space (55mm more legroom) and the new ergonomically correct seat equipped with a full-air suspension to reduce vibration and muscle stress. The instrument panel features a single-piece construction and extra-large LCD multi-functional displays for easier reading. Controls and switchgear have been totally redesigned for effortless operation.

Higher Comfort & Convenience
Greater comfort begins by increasing the width and height of the passenger cabin (40mm and 55mm, respectively). And for a better forward line of sight for the passengers, the driver's seat was lowered by 65mm. Improved overhead lighting, extra-large windows and well-coordinated interior color scheme create a cheerful ambience inside the passenger cabin. Passenger seat ergonomics have been improved as well with particular attention given to improved design of the backrest for better lumbar and neck support. Overhead consoles provide directional control over reading lights and ventilation. Underneath, cargo carrying capacity was increased to 6.5 cubic meters, a 10 percent improvement over the Universe´s predecessor model.

Precise temperature control is a big part of the comfort story and the Universe leads the way with a 28,000kcal/h air conditioner and 10,000 Kcal/h heater--bettering the industry leader. Moreover, Universe has triple-zone climate control permitting individual temperature control for the front, middle and rear sections of the coach.
Ride and handling have been improved by increasing the tread (by 7mm to 2057mm) and fine-tuning the air suspension which results in a 50 percent improvement in the pitch and bounce qualities.

The net result is a quieter, smoother ride with markedly reduced body vibration, driving noise and wind turbulence.

More Power
Hyundai´s Powertec D-6 diesel is at the heart of the Universe. Just as the name suggests, it´s a powerful performer generating 380ps and 148kg.m but it´s also economical and clean-burning as it meets the latest Euro-3 emission regulations. Also available is a 410ps version which delivers 173kg.m of torque. A Euro-4 compliant Powertec engine will be released in Jan. 2008 and development of a Euro-5 compliant version is currently under way.

Superior Performance
Universe features a powerful new drum brake system with new, wider linings whose service life has been doubled to 150,000km. Operators who opt for the disc brakes will also benefit from the electronic stability program which provides protection against roll-overs and spin-outs. Universe can also be equipped with Intarder, a state-of-the-art engine brake system from ZF which augments the drum and disc brakes.

Greater Durability
Improving durability was a major objective for the Universe development team. Special attention was paid to 25 chassis parts (including clutch disc, radiator, fan clutch), four body parts and three powertrain components (transmission synchronizers, fan belt and air filter), all of which were either improved or totally redesigned. Reducing time in the service shop translates into more time on the road and more revenues: Good news for coach operators.

To raise quality and durability by another notch, the front axle system was revised. The eight-stud JIS-type wheel design was dropped in favor of a new 10-stud ISO-type wheel. The predecessor´s separate-type hub bearings have been replaced by a new integrated design with two million km service life---a seven-fold improvement over the older design. A new wedge-type kingpin replaces the plain-type design while the axle beam capacity has been increased from 6.5 tons to seven tons.

The rear axle has also been reinforced and now features a new aluminum differential housing, long-life suspension bushings, bigger bearings and strengthened support beams.

The Universe is available in LD and LS trim levels in the Standard Deck. The High Deck edition stands at the top of the range.

I wish Australian coach companys would buy this I would love to travel in one.

--------------------

2011 Nissan Navara 2.5 turbo diesel
2011 Hyundai i 20 1.4 Petrol
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Doohickie
post Nov 14 2006, 10:24 AM
Post #2 | Print

Club Expert
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 0.77
Thanks Received: 60
Trader Stats: 2 (100%)
Member No.: 1,380
Mood: Cranky

I wonder if the Tibby sway bar would fit that...

--------------------

A proud member of the club.

+Quote Post
JacksonJ
post Nov 14 2006, 12:08 PM
Post #3 | Print

Bob hates me because I drive a Toyota.
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Thanks Received: 0
Member No.: 192

QUOTE (Doohickie @ Nov 14 2006, 10:24 AM)
I wonder if the Tibby sway bar would fit that...

rofl.gif rofl.gif rofl.gif rofl.gif That comment just made my day.

--------------------

“Being a guy doesn’t mean that we have to admit to our Foibles, but rather come up with better excuses” - Colin Mochrie

+Quote Post
afob3
post Nov 14 2006, 04:50 PM
Post #4 | Print

Poster Pro
Group Icon
Group: Members
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Thanks Received: 52
Member No.: 640
Mood: Awake

^^^^ rofl.gif rofl.gif rofl.gif

I guess that is pretty handsome for a bus but my Entourage has enough seating capacity for me.

I wonder what a new windshield would cost for that monster if a rock got it. confused-scratchhead3.gif

--------------------

Change is the ONLY constant.
www.unitegriefsupport.org ________ www.familyobrien.net

+Quote Post
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 user(s) are reading this topic (1 guests and 0 anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts New garage door opener
8 Blupupher 1,755 18th May 2017 - 07:08 PM
Last post by: Blupupher
No New Posts Topic has attachmentsNew Wheels!
6 Sakie8015 67,444 2nd March 2017 - 06:38 PM
Last post by: bhorste
No New Posts Newbie '17 ECO
First time Elantra owner
3 Kuritan 57,910 28th January 2017 - 10:20 PM
Last post by: rstnick
No New Posts New from the great white North!
3 ElantraQc 16,999 28th January 2017 - 10:07 PM
Last post by: rstnick
No New Posts New Member, 1st time Hyundai owner
2017 ECO
1 Kuritan 10,491 8th January 2017 - 03:04 AM
Last post by: trololololo

Copyright 2022 The Elantra Club    
Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 10:32 PM
Elantra Club is not affiliated in any way with Hyundai Motor America