This is an archived forum community. It's currently closed to new memberships.
ElantraClub - for all generations

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules Overview
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> New Elantra GT
driveswift
post Aug 28 2013, 09:50 AM
Post #1 | Print

Club Newbie
Group Icon
Group: Members
Posts Per Day: 0.00
Thanks Received: 1
Trader Stats: 0 (0%)
Member No.: 16,519

So I just bought a 2013 Elantra GT with the Touch and Go package, and am excited to pick it up tomorrow. Any tips on maintenance and driving off the bat?

Also I have 18' ASA rims on the 03 maxima SE that I'm trading in, and having them put the stock wheels back on so I can keep my aftermarkets. Think it's worth it to machine straighten the one that's bent ($99) and put them on the GT? I hear it might make the ride a little rougher as it did with the SE, but kinda wanna protect the new rims from awful, awful road conditions in NY.

This post has been edited by driveswift: Aug 28 2013, 09:52 AM

--------------------

A proud member of the club.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
RPW00Mirage
post Aug 28 2013, 10:09 AM
Post #2 | Print

That Mitsubishi Guy
Group Icon
Group: Leader
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Thanks Received: 423
Trader Stats: 3 (100%)
Member No.: 11,480
Mood: Complacent

what is the touch and go package?

just drive the car as you normally would. i beat mine '12 veloster from the getgo. 30K miles later, it's still amazing.

you could certainly use your ASA wheels, i'd check the cost of a new wheel + mount/balance VS fixing the existing one + mount/balance and go from there.

--------------------

2014 Veloster Turbo - racecar

2002 Elantra GLS - DEAD AND GONE DEAD AND GONE

+Quote Post
Red Elantra GT
post Aug 28 2013, 10:34 AM
Post #3 | Print

Post Maniac
Group Icon
Group: Lifetimer
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Thanks Received: 136
Trader Stats: 1 (100%)
Member No.: 11,366
Mood: Carefree

Hey-Touch and go package consists of: 17" alloy wheels, sport suspension, keyless go, leather steering wheel and shift knob, aluminum pedal trim, and rear underfloor storage bin.
I'd check the tires for air pressure and adjust (to 32 lbs) immediately. Hyundai ships their cars with higher than recommended air pressure. Other than that, get out and enjoy your new ride!

--------------------

2003 Mercedes-Benz SL500
2013 Hyundai Elantra GT

+Quote Post
Alex2013GT
post Aug 28 2013, 12:15 PM
Post #4 | Print

GT for life!
Group Icon
Group: VIP Members
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Thanks Received: 478
Trader Stats: 2 (100%)
Member No.: 34
Mood: Optimistic

Welcome to the club and congrats on the new GT! As far as tips for breaking in the car, everyone has their personal preference. It seems today's engines don't need to be babied off the bat like they used to but I still took it somewhat easy for the first few miles. I certainly wasn't peeling out of the dealers lot at least! laugh.gif

--------------------

Please consider helping keep the club online and independent. Donate here to help the club.

Current Car: 2013 Hyundai Elantra GT, 6 spd manual w/ the style and tech packages
Previous Hyundai's: 2011 Hyundai Sonata SE in Venetian Red; 2006 Hyundai Sonata GLS, 3.3L V-6 in Ebony Black; 2004 Elantra GT, 5 spd manual in tidal wave blue

+Quote Post
driveswift
post Aug 28 2013, 06:11 PM
Post #5 | Print

Club Newbie
Group Icon

Lol with gas pricing the way it is I wouldn't be peeling out anyway, not in NY. Besides in my area the cops would be all over that. Although I could pull my innocent girl routine off a few times before they ticket me. Usually telling them it's my first stick shift works, since I look young and their computers don't tell them it's really my third stick.

Almost had second thoughts at the dealership yesterday bc I saw an 04 WRX in black - my first solo car! But the dealer said they were sending it to auction bc the engine was blown and the tranny was garbage, they got hosed on a trade-in. So I'm excited to pick up my GT tomorrow and almost afraid - it's my first brand new car in a decade.

That sunroof poll I saw made me a sad panda. I wanted leather/sunroof but it's just not in my price range. blink.gif oh well, could be worse!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Alex2013GT
post Aug 28 2013, 07:28 PM
Post #6 | Print

GT for life!
Group Icon
Group: VIP Members
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Thanks Received: 478
Trader Stats: 2 (100%)
Member No.: 34
Mood: Optimistic

I must say the sunroof is great on this car. I sort of wish they offered the touch and go package with a pano roof option. While I love the leather and use the Nav quite often, I probably would've opted to save the money if I could've gotten everything in the touch and go package with the pano roof added. I justified the added cost of the tech package with the savings of getting a manual instead of an automatic! The manual definitely makes the car much more fun. It certainly isn't going to blaze down the pavement, but it is fun in the twisties and the manual makes it a little peppy (for a 4 cyl. econobox).

I thought about a WRX, but ultimately decided my next car if funds permit will be my "fun" car. This one I really needed to be practical, comfortable and economical which the GT fits the bill. Add in the head turning looks and it is one great package!

Odd, last time I pulled my innocent girl routine I got locked up in the loony bin for a week? confused-scratchhead3.gif rofl.gif

--------------------

Please consider helping keep the club online and independent. Donate here to help the club.

Current Car: 2013 Hyundai Elantra GT, 6 spd manual w/ the style and tech packages
Previous Hyundai's: 2011 Hyundai Sonata SE in Venetian Red; 2006 Hyundai Sonata GLS, 3.3L V-6 in Ebony Black; 2004 Elantra GT, 5 spd manual in tidal wave blue

+Quote Post
1 members thank Alex2013GT for this post
driveswift
FurunoFan
post Aug 29 2013, 12:35 PM
Post #7 | Print

J.Electron-Elantra 2013 GT
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Thanks Received: 120
Member No.: 13,648
Mood: Happy

My 2013 GT was shipped down from NY when they couldn't find what I wanted locally. You will love it. I have put more miles on this car in less than a year than it normally takes me a year and a half. If is fun and easy driving. Welcome to the Forum!

--------------------

A proud member of the Elantra club.
2013 Elantra GT 6-Sp M/T w/Style
2008 Nissan Versa SL

+Quote Post
litesong
post Aug 29 2013, 05:48 PM
Post #8 | Print

Club Regular
Group: Banned
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Thanks Received: 8
Member No.: 13,201
Mood: Accomplished

QUOTE (driveswift @ Aug 28 2013, 07:50 AM) *
Any tips on......driving off the bat?

Assuming you have the auto tranny. First, the Elantra only has 131 lb-ft of torque. Only if you get your rpms way up(like dump 3 gears), will you be able to accelerate at anything you might think is fast. However, if you got Elantra for mpg, you CAN get it, if you are a easy driver. The further away from New York City you are(specially along the Great Lakes), the better are your small chances of finding 100% gasoline(ethanol-free) to run your gasoline engine. Skip the ethanol. Go to pure-gas.org to find addresses.

If you have the auto tranny, learn the speeds at which your tranny shifts gears. Learn to target your accelerations to get to those shift points, then reduce speed 2 or 3 mph, so you are in a high gear to cruise. Also, if accelerating to highway speed, slowly increase speed to 45mpg or so. Come off the throttle, till your tranny drops into 6th gear & the engine runs ~1500rpm. Then, continue easy acceleration to highway speed, all the time being in gas saving 6th gear.

This post has been edited by litesong: Aug 29 2013, 05:51 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
FurunoFan
post Aug 30 2013, 07:04 AM
Post #9 | Print

J.Electron-Elantra 2013 GT
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Thanks Received: 120
Member No.: 13,648
Mood: Happy

QUOTE (driveswift @ Aug 28 2013, 07:11 PM) *
..... Usually telling them it's my first stick shift works, since I look young and their computers don't tell them it's really my third stick.

Sounds like she has a M/T....Which is better if you ask me. Seems like the M/T gets better mileage while costing $1K less.

--------------------

A proud member of the Elantra club.
2013 Elantra GT 6-Sp M/T w/Style
2008 Nissan Versa SL

+Quote Post
driveswift
post Sep 1 2013, 08:22 PM
Post #10 | Print

Club Newbie
Group Icon

Indeed I did get the M/T. It's unusual to me having to upshift going uphill on the highway, but then I've never had a car with less than 200hp before.

Now for the strange part - I pick up the car with 35 miles on it, after taking the wheels off my old car at a shop I used to work at (dealer said they'd charge for that), and the A/C doesn't work. They think it's a fuse, so I take it straight over to the service gate and they work on it for a little while and it comes back fine. They finish the paperwork and I'm off! I get home, set all the presets and settings, and go to lock the car and... nothing. The car makes a lame little beep instead of flashing the lights and locking the doors. I take it back and after an hour (making me late to work) they bring the car out and say they fixed it for now but they think it's the fuse box. (Already?!?!?!?!)

The next morning of course it's not working again, but the rest of the car seems OK. Do I let them just replace the fuse box and hope for the best, or demand an entirely different car as this one seems to be a lemon?

I really do love this little beast, despite it being vastly underpowered, and would hate to see her go. Suggestions?

--------------------

+Quote Post
rstnick
post Sep 2 2013, 07:25 PM
Post #11 | Print

Power Poster
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Thanks Received: 59
Member No.: 8,056

Welcome driveswift.
Sorry to hear about the problems so far.
Hopefully the dealer can straighten things out for you.

--------------------

Rob

2004 Elantra GT - traded in
2012 Elantra Touring GL, Titanium Grey, Auto, 2.0, Konig rims, tinted.
Two Kawasaki KZ650 Cs, a '77 C1 project, stock, and a '78 C2 with over 123,000 kms, modified.

+Quote Post
Red Elantra GT
post Sep 2 2013, 07:47 PM
Post #12 | Print

Post Maniac
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Thanks Received: 136
Member No.: 11,366

Hey-Give them a chance to fix it.

--------------------

2003 Mercedes-Benz SL500
2013 Hyundai Elantra GT

+Quote Post
2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 user(s) are reading this topic (1 guests and 0 anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Elantra Sport review
4 elantragt 110,271 21st June 2017 - 05:26 PM
Last post by: elantragt
No New Posts New garage door opener
8 Blupupher 1,755 18th May 2017 - 07:08 PM
Last post by: Blupupher
No New Posts Topic has attachmentsNew Wheels!
6 Sakie8015 67,463 2nd March 2017 - 06:38 PM
Last post by: bhorste
No New Posts Newbie '17 ECO
First time Elantra owner
3 Kuritan 57,929 28th January 2017 - 10:20 PM
Last post by: rstnick
No New Posts New from the great white North!
3 ElantraQc 17,005 28th January 2017 - 10:07 PM
Last post by: rstnick

Copyright 2022 The Elantra Club    
Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 11:19 PM
Elantra Club is not affiliated in any way with Hyundai Motor America