This is an archived forum community. It's currently closed to new memberships.
ElantraClub - for all generations

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Shockingly disappointing test drive, horrid shaking
Georgeandkira
post Sep 10 2016, 07:26 PM
Post #1 | Print

Club Newbie
Group Icon
Group: Members
Posts Per Day: 0.00
Thanks Received: 1
Trader Stats: 0 (0%)
Member No.: 21,263

Hello, It is with sadness I report this.

Today my wife and I went to Liberty Hyundai in Mahwah, NJ to test drive a new 2016 Elantra GT.
I dropped in yesterday and made an appointment for a test drive with the salesman, Ray.

The car was ready and poised to roll right out the apron to the state highway. I stepped on the gas and a rhythmic wobble shook the car.
The engine, which sounded louder than I had expected, had dropped itself into a low gear and was winding its guts out.
The wobble didn't subside until I removed my foot from the pedal. The car then drove OK. We scooted about the windy roads of the Ramapo River Valley.

My wife took the wheel and she experienced the exact same wobble upon accelerating onto the same highway in an unrushed situation.
I will extend to the car the assumption that my horrific downshift was, possibly, exacerbated by the car being cold.
Neither me nor my wife experienced such a rowdy downshift after the first one. I also assume we learned instantly not to slam the pedal hard.
Neither one of us is a harsh driver.

The salesman suggested that the tires had developed flat spots during their time on the lot. When my wife's wobble came 'round I suggested that the tires had had time to heat up.

We said thanks to the clean cut lad and left.

The test drives of both Mazda3iTourings (2 dealerships) went much better.

A wise man (Mitch-the founder of this board) mentioned to me that the next generation of the Elantra GT will be based on the i30 platform and will be better and likely worth the wait.
We need a car kinda soon. If the buyer of our 2005 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon backs out of the sale (60 hours from now) I'll consider putting the purchase on hold.

What a sobering and disappointing adventure.

Caveat emptor, Georgeandkira

--------------------

A proud member of the club.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Blupupher
post Sep 10 2016, 11:06 PM
Post #2 | Print

back to basics again
Group Icon
Group: Lifetimer
Posts Per Day: 0.52
Thanks Received: 248
Trader Stats: 1 (100%)
Member No.: 52
Mood: Happy

So you just tried the one Elantra and 2 Mazda 3's? I would have tried another Elantra on the lot to see if it did the same thing.

I have heard good things about the Mazda though.

--------------------

"Those who yell the loudest about how unfair the world treated them are usually the reason for the treatment in the first place".
A nurse on a forum I am on

+Quote Post
1 members thank Blupupher for this post
Red Elantra GT
Georgeandkira
post Sep 11 2016, 04:05 PM
Post #3 | Print

Club Newbie
Group Icon
Group: Members
Posts Per Day: 0.00
Thanks Received: 1
Trader Stats: 0 (0%)
Member No.: 21,263

The salesman acted like a stunned puppy. I am a firm believer in trying another anything but...being that the lad and I hit it off chatting the day before I'd bet there was no capacity for bull fertilizer between us. Maybe we should give him a few years to develop his deceptive skills (Ha-Ha).

Even my wife (the most mechanically disinclined person in the world) noticed he had no input.
She even thought he should've drug out another car. You know how unrealistic that would've been to do? A crowded car lot and those "perennial pigs" (car dealers) being asked to do something. Heck, I SCHEDULED a test drive because I know a crowded parking lot is challenging.

The GT is an inch this way or that from any corresponding measurement of the Mazda...the price is basically same...the GT's mileage is lower by 15% to 20%.
I didn't go to the dealership with a lot of analytical oomph in the first place.
Maybe tomorrow I'll sneak over to another Hyundai dealership and try another.
But then I'd wonder if the product was weak. My sister's Mazda3 feels solid after 4 years.

I think the kid knows they wobble. Georgeandkira

This post has been edited by Georgeandkira: Sep 11 2016, 04:15 PM

--------------------

A proud member of the club.

+Quote Post
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 user(s) are reading this topic (1 guests and 0 anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Drive Train Removal
3 cabreco 746 11th February 2017 - 01:04 PM
Last post by: bhorste
No New Posts Testing Water M&S Kit for 2011-2014 Elantra Sedan
1 nomnom 737 14th January 2017 - 02:43 PM
Last post by: elantragt
No New Posts Driver side seat track compatibility
4 abalaev 913 22nd November 2014 - 03:22 PM