This is an archived forum community. It's currently closed to new memberships.
ElantraClub - for all generations

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules Overview

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 08' Elantra Questions...., New owner...
nolimit06
post Sep 7 2009, 01:40 PM
Post #1 | Print

Club Newbie
Group Icon
Group: Members
Posts Per Day: 0.00
Thanks Received: 0
Trader Stats: 0 (0%)
Member No.: 7,643

Hey guys I just took over payment on my parents 08 elantra, I had a 97 Mustang but gas is just killing me with the measly 18mpg I was getting in the city. Anyways I am looking to do a few basic performance mods, looking into a CAI and possibly exhaust. I have not found anything for the 08 for CAI and was hoping someone here could point me into the direction of a kit on ebay or something that is compatible with the 08. As for the exhaust I do not want it to sound ricer even though the car is technically one, do you guys have any suggestions as far as exhaust goes without making it loud?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions smile.gif

--------------------

A proud member of the club.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
IRUN619
post Sep 7 2009, 02:43 PM
Post #2 | Print

Power Poster
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Thanks Received: 1
Member No.: 7,428
Mood: Humble

Seeing that this is your first post, welcome to Elantraclub.

I just bought my 09 about 2 months ago. The muffler is positioned almost behind the passanger seat. It's a single muffler. For mine, I had plans on swapping out the muffler with a "Borla". It has a bit more rumble to it but it's not too loud either. The muffler shop may have to bend or customise the flange but that's for replacing the stock in the same place. Other owners of the 07,08,09 models (known as the HD models) have also been able to angle thier mufflers under the bumper. This also may require a little bit of bumper cutting. Not sure what the sound is like on those. I know that in KoreanAutoImports.com the Incus dual exhast kit for the HD Elantra is still available and that comes with a replacement performance muffler,flange, and pipes and tips and the price is $1,095.00. It will mostly come down to a matter of personal preference, I guess.

Keep in mind that your exhaust warranty will be void if you do this work. Me personally, I don't mind as long it doesn't interfere with the engine warranty.

--------------------

2009 HD GLS Black - I really don't know what I'm doing, I'm just adding & swapping parts that work.

+Quote Post
nolimit06
post Sep 7 2009, 04:17 PM
Post #3 | Print

Club Newbie
Group Icon

Thanks, what about a CAI? Any suggestions on that?

--------------------

+Quote Post
nolimit06
post Sep 7 2009, 08:24 PM
Post #4 | Print

Club Newbie
Group Icon

Anyone?

--------------------

+Quote Post
sarge
post Sep 7 2009, 08:37 PM
Post #5 | Print

CarPuter Masta!
Group Icon
Group: Lifetimer
Posts Per Day: 1.04
Thanks Received: 130
Trader Stats: 11 (100%)
Member No.: 4,300
Mood: Relaxed

There's been mention from some people about the CAI or SRI being a problem with the HDs due to the computer being in the engine bay.
Though there are members here that do have a SRI or CAI in their HD without problems.

I don't have one myself, but I've heard many good things about the K&N Apollo Enclosed CAI ( http://www.elantraclub.com/forum/index.php...E=03&id=149 )

Personally I've got a BOMZ SRI off ebay with a K&N Filter swapped, rather than sticking with the paper one they provided.... though I've also got an 03

also - Welcome to the club!!!

relax... it's a long weekend for some... *drinks more beer*.

--------------------

carPC Build Thread | My Elantra Site | My Fiero Site | My WebSite | Donate here to keep ElantraClub online and growing.

+Quote Post
nolimit06
post Sep 7 2009, 09:17 PM
Post #6 | Print

Club Newbie
Group Icon

Would this work? It's from a Tiburon but from what I have seen it's the same engine as the 08 Elantra's... Not really look for just a CAI and SRI would work as well. Let me know if this would work or not though, thanks smile.gif

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2004-05-06-...sQ5fAccessories

--------------------

+Quote Post
KaptKrunch
post Sep 7 2009, 10:43 PM
Post #7 | Print

iPilot
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Member No.: 5,403
Mood: Busy

The Tiburon has the same engine as the Elantra just like the XD's have the same engine as the HD's. But the fact remains that the HD has the ECU in the damn engine bay next to the airbox unlike the others.

--------------------

I can ride my bike with no handlebars

+Quote Post
IRUN619
post Sep 8 2009, 01:17 AM
Post #8 | Print

Power Poster
Group Icon

If you're switching over to a CAI, by all means keep your stock box in case you may have to make a trip back to dealer for any reason. I don't know if a CAI is read (or recorded) by the ECU or if putting one on will void the warranty. I'm still getting info myself as I only have about 500 miles on it. I really want one too. Till I get more info, I'm holding off on the CAI. I'm sure there is a gain in power as well but for now.

Honestly, I try to stay away from ebay, but that's just me. There's other sources for tuning my car that I go to - and will be tyring in the near future.

Keep us updated on how you make your power gains or if you do any other mods. Perhaps you might find something that works for the rest of us as well.

--------------------

2009 HD GLS Black - I really don't know what I'm doing, I'm just adding & swapping parts that work.

+Quote Post
Vex
post Sep 9 2009, 08:14 AM
Post #9 | Print

Power Poster
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Thanks Received: 3
Trader Stats: 2 (100%)
Member No.: 4,125

QUOTE (IRUN619 @ Sep 8 2009, 02:17 AM) *
If you're switching over to a CAI, by all means keep your stock box in case you may have to make a trip back to dealer for any reason. I don't know if a CAI is read (or recorded) by the ECU or if putting one on will void the warranty. I'm still getting info myself as I only have about 500 miles on it. I really want one too. Till I get more info, I'm holding off on the CAI. I'm sure there is a gain in power as well but for now.

Honestly, I try to stay away from ebay, but that's just me. There's other sources for tuning my car that I go to - and will be tyring in the near future.

Keep us updated on how you make your power gains or if you do any other mods. Perhaps you might find something that works for the rest of us as well.

So the turbo/supercharger kit that NGM makes for the xd would fit the 07+ models??? The only problem would be the ECU situation and warranty voids, right? If that's the case I think it's time for a power upgrade for the new car (who needs warranties....lol)

--------------------

+Quote Post
jamhandman
post Sep 9 2009, 09:05 AM
Post #10 | Print

Post Maniac
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Thanks Received: 57
Member No.: 4,755
Mood: Accomplished

I think the ecu won't work with the turbo, so you'll need a new one (or reflashed) computer right?

Do you have an auto or manual?

This post has been edited by jamhandman: Sep 9 2009, 09:06 AM

--------------------

EC ROCKS! Show your support, ask/answer questions, start topics, post pictures, and donate!! Woots!

+Quote Post
Vex
post Sep 12 2009, 05:15 PM
Post #11 | Print

Power Poster
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Thanks Received: 3
Trader Stats: 2 (100%)
Member No.: 4,125

QUOTE (jamhandman @ Sep 9 2009, 10:05 AM) *
I think the ecu won't work with the turbo, so you'll need a new one (or reflashed) computer right?

Do you have an auto or manual?

Auto tranny. But in theory, the engines are the same??? So the chargers would work, just a few mods needed?

--------------------

+Quote Post
IRUN619
post Sep 14 2009, 01:31 AM
Post #12 | Print

Power Poster
Group Icon

HHHmmmm. I guess it would depend how much your warranty means to you. If you want to "go all out". Then I'm sure the usual bolt on's will add power. Power gains for an all motor setup (in my mind) would consist or a CAI, headers, exhaust (or you can just mod a switch valve between the headers and the Catalytic(spelling) converter). Then the usual, pulleys, performance fuel injector, and fluidine performance radiator. You're going to want a chip in the ECU to push more fuel to the cylinders but then you now have to worry about the pistons and cams, bored cyliders, and then bigger springs and bushings.

I really havn't gone to those extents and if you're thinking of putting a turbo or supercharger, I have no knowledge on these things or what else needs to be done.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 user(s) are reading this topic (1 guests and 0 anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Elantra Sport review
4 elantragt 110,749 21st June 2017 - 05:26 PM
Last post by: elantragt
No New Posts Elantra GLS 2016 Diesel HID to Xenon
Elantra GLS 2016 Diesel HID to Xenon
0 zipzip 977 13th November 2016 - 05:56 PM
Last post by: zipzip
No New Posts Elantra GT TIRES
215-45-17 TIRES
0 i30al 1,054 31st July 2016 - 10:11 PM
Last post by: i30al
No New Posts Elantra HP boost
Any suggestions on hp boost for elantra?
7 Spiritblade 2,302 2nd March 2016 - 04:04 PM
Last post by: Morsel
No New Posts Elantra Turbo Pistons and Rods
Performance
1 TSmooth8403 1,584 31st January 2016 - 11:30 PM
Last post by: 2000J25SP

Copyright 2022 The Elantra Club    
Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 05:11 PM
Elantra Club is not affiliated in any way with Hyundai Motor America