This is an archived forum community. It's currently closed to new memberships.
ElantraClub - for all generations

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules Overview
2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> New ethanol mandate could damage vehicles
jamhandman
post May 9 2013, 12:10 PM
Post #13 | Print

Post Maniac
Group Icon
Group: Lifetimer
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Thanks Received: 57
Trader Stats: 0 (0%)
Member No.: 4,755
Mood: Accomplished

Yeah I can tell sad.gif

I've always through about getting in to government... but just not sure how to start.. hmmm... I just can't picture a normal person getting in to politics... sad.gif

--------------------

EC ROCKS! Show your support, ask/answer questions, start topics, post pictures, and donate!! Woots!

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
slowgls
post May 9 2013, 02:40 PM
Post #14 | Print

That Guy..
Group Icon
Group: Leader
Posts Per Day: 1.18
Thanks Received: 724
Trader Stats: 16 (100%)
Member No.: 6,539
Mood: Thankful

QUOTE (elantragt @ May 9 2013, 07:24 AM) *
Our government is being hypocritical here. They're constantly saying how cars need to get more MPG, right? Yet, this ethanol garbage is much more inefficient than "real gas". I've read some claims that mileage could be 20% lower with this corn crud. It seems to me this really is about is giving farmers a helping hand and that's all well and good but give me the choice of what I can put into my car's gas tank. It's ridiculous that virtually no one sells non-ethanol gasoline. And why is it that the government allows the gas companies to charge rip off prices for this diluted, useless and harmful product? Government for the people? Hmmm... I think that concept ended a long time ago. This whole thing pisses me off big time. Can you tell? cool.gif

Amen Brother!!!!

--------------------

"This may be true but it is a chrysler sebring which is synonomous with being a p.o.s. car. Personally I gotta say it's getting
really tiring having to clean off the sopping wet panties from my Hyundai Elantra every morning. Bitches love Hyundais."

"Sometimes you wonder how the sperm that made that idiot was the fastest swimmer. . . Must've had a "race motor" in it with nass under the hood. . . " - Alex2013gt

+Quote Post
Vinnie
post May 9 2013, 06:56 PM
Post #15 | Print

Elantra Guru
Group Icon
Group: Leader
Posts Per Day: 0.62
Thanks Received: 558
Member No.: 7,533
Mood: Evil

--------------------

+Quote Post
Silentwolf
post May 10 2013, 09:22 AM
Post #16 | Print

2006 GLS Hatch
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 1.02
Thanks Received: 87
Trader Stats: 3 (100%)
Member No.: 2,051
Mood: Accomplished

Maybe we should get a petition going to the EPA.......

--------------------

Hunter: An 06 5-Door GLS w/ items now too numerous to mention here. Check them out in my garage!

+Quote Post
Gannam
post May 10 2013, 11:44 AM
Post #17 | Print

Club Regular
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Thanks Received: 33
Member No.: 13,450
Mood: Perturbed

I can't remember where I read the report, but it basically stated that if we get rid of all petroleum fuel and used bio-fuels instead, the world would hit a food shortage in about 5 years. (Memory might be off on the timeline, but I remember that it was ridiculously short.) The food shortage would be because of a fertilizer shortage...specifically phosphorous. (Again, if memory serves me correctly, it was phosphorous.) We would run out of P and not be able to grow many crops dependent on the soil's P contents being replenished. I'll see if I can find the report and will post a link if I locate it.

(rant) There's also a shortage of Helium. The US has the world's largest stockpile of He and has been trying to get rid of it since 1996. They have been depleting the stockpile with the idea that the $1.3 billion spent obtaining it, would be recouped. If He was sold at true market value, a single balloon would cost over $1000. He is used to run MRI machines, to keep them cool, and to manufacture optical fibers and microchips. Once the stockpile is gone, it's gone. He can be collected from the upper atmosphere, but at a prohibitive cost. HERE's a story concerning the U.S. House passing a bill that will "head off" the massive shortage. After reading through it, it appears to only delay the inevitable. (/rant)

--------------------

A proud member of the club.

+Quote Post
Doohickie
post May 23 2013, 10:51 AM
Post #18 | Print

Club Expert
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 0.77
Thanks Received: 60
Trader Stats: 2 (100%)
Member No.: 1,380
Mood: Cranky

QUOTE (RPW00Mirage @ May 8 2013, 08:42 AM) *
on the V forum, we have dyno charts proving how much of an efficiency loss and mileage loss running e10, and e15 over straight 87 octane gas. it is significant.

Yep. I haven't gotten the same mileage since they got rid of MTBE and replaced it with ethanol.

"E-15 has been sold in this country for the past nine months with no issues whatsoever. This is a lot of hysteria that's being driven by the oil companies"

Nine months isn't nearly long enough to trigger corrosion-related issues. Sorry, that statement is BS.

"Ethanol supporters dispute that and claim studies back them up. Ethanol blends of 25 percent have been used for years in Brazil with no ill effects on the same cars sold in the U.S."

The devil is in the details. When they say "the same cars sold in the U.S.," are they talking about every component in the fuel system is identical? Are they referring to flex fuel vehicles designed to burn blends up to 85% ethanol? Unless they can back that up with hard definitions, born out by facts, that statement is BS too.

--------------------

A proud member of the club.

+Quote Post
2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 user(s) are reading this topic (1 guests and 0 anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts New garage door opener
8 Blupupher 1,755 18th May 2017 - 07:08 PM
Last post by: Blupupher
No New Posts Topic has attachmentsNew Wheels!
6 Sakie8015 67,447 2nd March 2017 - 06:38 PM
Last post by: bhorste
No New Posts Newbie '17 ECO
First time Elantra owner
3 Kuritan 57,912 28th January 2017 - 10:20 PM
Last post by: rstnick
No New Posts New from the great white North!
3 ElantraQc 16,999 28th January 2017 - 10:07 PM
Last post by: rstnick
No New Posts New Member, 1st time Hyundai owner
2017 ECO
1 Kuritan 10,491 8th January 2017 - 03:04 AM
Last post by: trololololo

Copyright 2022 The Elantra Club    
Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 10:38 PM
Elantra Club is not affiliated in any way with Hyundai Motor America