I've decided to keep the site online for the foreseeable future as a reference for Elantra owners. If you'd like to help with costs or still believe in this resource, please use the Donate link to help out. Thank you.
ElantraClub - for all generations

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Amazon · Advance Auto · Newegg · Ebay 
3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Kia Rondo, Kia's new Mazda 5
skduffy
post Dec 31 2006, 08:39 AM
Post #13 | Print

'05 GLS
Group Icon
Group: Members
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Thanks Received: 0
Trader Stats: 0 (0%)
Member No.: 1,174

Good Morning! Happy New Year to everyone. I don't post all that often. I have an 05 Elantra GLS 5-dr. My wife has a 98 Cirrus. Ever since a newborn arrived 9 months ago, we have realized that a traditional 4-door does not suit our needs anymore. Ever since I sat in the Rondo at an autoshow in November, I have been researching this car for a replacement. I have a database of specs and pictures, including service information from Kia's version of WebTech. If you have any questions on this vehicle, I will search the database. We are very much anti- SUV and traditional minivan people. We enjoy buying just the space that we need. The debate we have now is 2.4L/4-speed auto vs the 2.7L v-6 /5-speed auto. I would prefer the smaller powertrain.

Anyway, very long post and hope to help out where I can.

--------------------

A proud member of the club.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
southpawboston
post Dec 31 2006, 10:21 AM
Post #14 | Print

Elantra Guru
Group Icon
Group: Lifetimer
Posts Per Day: 0.62
Thanks Received: 1
Trader Stats: 3 (100%)
Member No.: 4
Mood: Accomplished

QUOTE (cobas @ Dec 7 2006, 12:00 AM)
Dooh!! Why do I frequently get the feeling that the US is late to the party??

because we ARE. angry-punchingbag.gif angry-hitselfonhead.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
winc
post Dec 31 2006, 10:52 AM
Post #15 | Print

ersherls erbernd
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Thanks Received: 41
Member No.: 3,096
Mood: Perturbed

I get the feeling it's more competent towards the Ford Freestyle and Chevy Equinox. It looks more like a small/mid SUV to me than anything else, just the absense of AWD option (who knows, might be optional later).

If I were considering the Rondo, I'd probably lean towards the V6 due to 21/29 vs 20/27 mpg variance is very minimal and the smoother/quieter V6 + 20 extra hp/18 extra torque benefit.

--------------------

x

+Quote Post
oiml8
post Dec 31 2006, 10:52 AM
Post #16 | Print

Mod Emeritus
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Thanks Received: 4
Trader Stats: 1 (100%)
Member No.: 6

skduffy, thanks for the info. thumbsup.gif

I don't much like these sorts of vehicles. At least from the outside. All those that cobas posted are unappealing to me.

I said the same thing about minivans. "Hate em!! Would never drive one!!! Ugh!!!"

7 years later I still have my caravan and nothing would have worked better. I'm not thrilled to be seen in it. It is not horribly ugly but it is what it is. However, I can't see how we could have gotten by without one. It is just a perfect vehicle for families. Period.

So for me, if I had to choose a family vehicle again I would go ahead and get a minivan and not opt for one of these tiny transformer compacts.

--------------------

"Space reserved for pithy quote"

+Quote Post
skduffy
post Dec 31 2006, 12:40 PM
Post #17 | Print

'05 GLS
Group Icon

If I were considering the Rondo, I'd probably lean towards the V6 due to 21/29 vs 20/27 mpg variance is very minimal and the smoother/quieter V6 + 20 extra hp/18 extra torque benefit.

Unfortunately, my brain works backwards from most Americans. I am almost thinking of the HD to replace my XD over the new 2006.5 Optima 4-cyl. I would rather have the fuel efficiency of the Beta II over the power of the new world engine 2.4L. Similarly in the Optima I see no reason to get the 2.7L V-6

Other markets get the Beta II in the Rondo/Carens. I would much prefer that engine.

Consider me strange....

Shaughn

This post has been edited by skduffy: Dec 31 2006, 12:57 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Alex2013GT
post Dec 31 2006, 03:17 PM
Post #18 | Print

GT for life!
Group Icon
Group: VIP Members
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Thanks Received: 478
Trader Stats: 2 (100%)
Member No.: 34
Mood: Optimistic

QUOTE (skduffy @ Dec 31 2006, 01:40 PM)
Consider me strange....

Shaughn

ok. . . you're strange rofl.gif . . .j/k

I think it looks pretty decent, but I'd have to see one in real life. Quite frankly I love the new Santa Fe with the third row seats (but of course that is a fair amount more than this) And as far as the no leg room in the third row, I wonder if the second row seats slide forward confused-scratchhead3.gif I've yet to see one in person, so this might not be the case, but just a thought.

--------------------

Please consider helping keep the club online and independent. Donate here to help the club.

Current Car: 2013 Hyundai Elantra GT, 6 spd manual w/ the style and tech packages
Previous Hyundai's: 2011 Hyundai Sonata SE in Venetian Red; 2006 Hyundai Sonata GLS, 3.3L V-6 in Ebony Black; 2004 Elantra GT, 5 spd manual in tidal wave blue

+Quote Post
skduffy
post Dec 31 2006, 05:22 PM
Post #19 | Print

'05 GLS
Group Icon

equipped as a 3 row vehicle, the 2nd row is equipped to slide forward and back. The third row legroom is 30.1 inches which is not all that bad. The XD's 35" Also the third row does have a footwell unlike the Mazda5 which IIRC the depth as the cargo area. It is similar to an explorer with the third row, which is more of a kneesin your face experience.

--------------------

+Quote Post
afob3
post Sep 17 2007, 08:25 PM
Post #20 | Print

Poster Pro
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Thanks Received: 52
Member No.: 640
Mood: Awake

Okay... reviving an old thread.

I'm in the market again to replace the EGT since we are expecting in early March. I want something somewhat fuel efficient but able to handle the giant car seats without cramping the front seat.

First we were thinking a base Sonata but after testing out the Optima I actually am willing to give up a little trunk space for what felt like a pepier car. (Sonata has 4 speed auto and Optima has 5 speed auto.). The dash (and console) is lit in a nice blue tint with electronic guages for the fuel and temp.

Then Mrs afob3 says 'what is that' as she pointed out a row of Rondos. It drove like a wagon but has the 4 speed like the Sonata so it winds out a bit as you stomp it. The lighting for the guages and buttons is orange. The huge and tall side doors made it really easy to hoist my 2 year old in and out. The second row sits higher than the front like stadium seating so he was able to see all around outside where his view in the Optima was the top of the door. The second row does move front and back to provide access to the 3rd row. I think we would drop the $300 third row for a 5 seater and gain all of the storage cubbies under the deck.

I'm still leaning towards the optima since it will primarily be my commuting car (25k miles a year) while the Rondo surely does fit the bill for a primary vehicle for a small family without going minivan or SUV.

Dealer on Sunday pulled one of those what do we have to do to get you to take it today things and offered me the Optima for $14k plus TTL or the Rondo for $16.5k plus TTL. I thought this was outstanding until he tried to steal my EGT for $6800. (KBB, NADA, and the Black book all have it around $9,000. We didn't bargain since we were already heading for the door.

Anyhow I have to call this quote around to see if I can get a better deal on the trade and see what happens.

Since this thread is kinda old has anyone else driven the Rondo yet or the Optima for that matter?

--------------------

Change is the ONLY constant.
www.unitegriefsupport.org ________ www.familyobrien.net

+Quote Post
Doohickie
post Sep 17 2007, 09:06 PM
Post #21 | Print

Club Expert
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Thanks Received: 60
Member No.: 1,380
Mood: Cranky

I'll miss you, Afob... You've been a good member on several boards... then again, I kind of expect you'll hang around and help when you can.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Alex2013GT
post Sep 17 2007, 09:28 PM
Post #22 | Print

GT for life!
Group Icon

Haven't driven the Optima or Rondo. . . but as far as the Sonata, I have two kids, a 5 year old and a 9 month old, and I swear I can fit more in my Sonata than in my wife's '06 Santa Fe. The trunk is huge, and I love the car (2 years later). I have the 3.3L auto V6 and the car is smooth and powerful. That being said the gas mileage hasn't been that great, but my daily commute is filled with stop signs, lights and traffic. I normally get about 18 mpg. . . I can't recall exactly but I think with my '04 Elantra GT there were many tanks that I didn't get much more than 20 mpg. So that is my brief analysis of the Sonata. And yes, if I had to do all over again I most certainly would get the exact same car (although I might have sprung a little more for the sunroof in hindsight as I miss that rofl.gif )

--------------------

Please consider helping keep the club online and independent. Donate here to help the club.

Current Car: 2013 Hyundai Elantra GT, 6 spd manual w/ the style and tech packages
Previous Hyundai's: 2011 Hyundai Sonata SE in Venetian Red; 2006 Hyundai Sonata GLS, 3.3L V-6 in Ebony Black; 2004 Elantra GT, 5 spd manual in tidal wave blue

+Quote Post
Silentwolf
post Sep 17 2007, 11:12 PM
Post #23 | Print

2006 GLS Hatch
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Thanks Received: 87
Trader Stats: 3 (100%)
Member No.: 2,051

Alex: that 18mpg is of course with a 3.3 v6 so not too bad.

Afob: the Rondo looks like a shrunken SUV/minivan. I'm not too swung over by its looks. The HHR looks more appealing. Dont go with the Optima as its still using the old 2.4 and 2.7 from the last gen Sonata (someone correct me if im wrong on the 2.4)

--------------------

Hunter: An 06 5-Door GLS w/ items now too numerous to mention here. Check them out in my garage!

+Quote Post
Alex2013GT
post Sep 18 2007, 08:56 AM
Post #24 | Print

GT for life!
Group Icon

QUOTE (Silent Wolf @ Sep 18 2007, 12:12 AM)
Alex: that 18mpg is of course with a 3.3 v6 so not too bad.

yea. . . i'm certainly not complaining, just wanted to point out what I was getting. I'm not driving crazy miles where lower MPG really affects me. Plus I love the extra HP 676.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 user(s) are reading this topic (1 guests and 0 anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Kia GT spied looking like a rakish, sexy Forte
7 Autoblog 2,894 17th June 2016 - 06:21 PM
Last post by: 2000J25SP
No New Posts Kia Optima Sportwagon spied before Geneva
1 Autoblog 1,640 23rd November 2015 - 08:27 PM
Last post by: roydjt
No New Posts Kia Sorento spotted high-altitude testing after 'Ring run
1 Autoblog 1,387 8th July 2014 - 09:04 AM