This is an archived forum community. It's currently closed to new memberships.
ElantraClub - for all generations

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules Overview
> The hypermiling thread
slowgls
post Aug 10 2011, 06:30 PM
Post #1 | Print

That Guy..
Group Icon
Group: Leader
Posts Per Day: 1.18
Thanks Received: 724
Trader Stats: 16 (100%)
Member No.: 6,539
Mood: Thankful

Hypermiling is defined by the New Oxford American Dictionary as the attempt to maximize gas mileage by making fuel-conserving adjustments to one's vehicle and one's driving techniques.

So how many elantra owners are driving to get the best gas mileage? Well i have started doing this in my car. I what to see who here can get the best mpg, and share tips with other owners.
Here is where im at on this tank. I have a 12 gallon tank in the j2. 124miles on a 1/4 tank of gas. My car was rated for 33hwy, so if i can get to 35-40 that would be better than that epa rating.

--------------------

"This may be true but it is a chrysler sebring which is synonomous with being a p.o.s. car. Personally I gotta say it's getting
really tiring having to clean off the sopping wet panties from my Hyundai Elantra every morning. Bitches love Hyundais."

"Sometimes you wonder how the sperm that made that idiot was the fastest swimmer. . . Must've had a "race motor" in it with nass under the hood. . . " - Alex2013gt
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
3 members thank slowgls for this post
FSUspectra, jamhandman, NevynPA
4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 11)
Millstone
post Aug 10 2011, 06:37 PM
Post #2 | Print

Club Regular
Group Icon
Group: Members
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Thanks Received: 3
Trader Stats: 0 (0%)
Member No.: 9,886

I get 7.9 L/100 km without trying so I think that's like 29 MPG (US)

--------------------

A proud member of the club.

+Quote Post
HyundaiMunday
post Aug 10 2011, 07:41 PM
Post #3 | Print

You can call me Dave
Group Icon
Group: Lifetimer
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Thanks Received: 33
Member No.: 7,806
Mood: Happy

My 03 GT factory dash computer gas consumption rarely changes. Seems to float anywhere between 10.9 and 11.1 km per 100 km. Regardless of how hard I drive it.

--------------------

You don't realize how badly you need something until you see a picture of it and its on sale.

+Quote Post
FSUspectra
post Aug 10 2011, 08:59 PM
Post #4 | Print

Club Regular
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Thanks Received: 32
Member No.: 10,154
Mood: Calm

Woohoo, a thread after my own heart! wink.gif Hypermiling, if you're willing to work at it and have patience, perseverance, and resolve, you can achieve stupid high MPG's out of these cars, especially if you have a manual transmission. If I may suggest (I know it's not always the best forum etiquette to link elsewhere), the best hypermiling how-to article out there is at CleanMPG. It's called Beating the EPA - the Why's and How to Hypermile. I currently have a lifetime MPG (LMPG) of about 35 MPG recorded (I skipped a few tanks here and there) on my 05 Spectra, and you can see my 2011 average in my signature. I do it because I am sick of sending my hard-earned dollars to persons that wish my family, myself, and this great country, dead. Not to mention, it's easy on the car biggrin.gif.

The techniques range from common sense (the low-hanging fruit) to advanced, and best described as a buffet - take what you want, and leave the rest.

I wish all of you awesome luck in your MPG pursuits, and am glad to help in any way I can, although I am not terribly familiar with the newer Elantras, I'll study up and chat with people who are, and bring back what I can! biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by FSUspectra: Aug 10 2011, 09:19 PM

--------------------

-Brandon
2005 KIA Spectra EX 5MT in Ice Blue Metallic

Since 2011

+Quote Post
3 members thank FSUspectra for this post
jamhandman, milehighhyundai, slowgls
Silentwolf
post Aug 10 2011, 11:07 PM
Post #5 | Print

2006 GLS Hatch
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 1.03
Thanks Received: 87
Trader Stats: 3 (100%)
Member No.: 2,051
Mood: Accomplished

Personally simple hypermiling is great but i feel some do take it too far and actually are more dangerous to other drivers and harder on their own car.

--------------------

Hunter: An 06 5-Door GLS w/ items now too numerous to mention here. Check them out in my garage!

+Quote Post
1 members thank Silentwolf for this post
eljaibo
NevynPA
post Aug 11 2011, 06:47 AM
Post #6 | Print

EClub Live Chat for Life!
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Thanks Received: 126
Trader Stats: 2 (100%)
Member No.: 8,215
Mood: Sick

Nice to see this thread...and nice that it wasn't me that started it! Clicking the 'Thumbs-Up' button on this one for sure. I have LOTS of data collected for/from my K&N filter testing; now that Flickr is unblocked at work I'll be able to get photos up in the near future. smile.gif I filled this morning, but didn't calc it out yet.

Fuelly.com is a great place to sign up and track gas mileage. They make it real easy by allowing updates via text message! Once you're signed up, turn on SMS updates and put in your phone number. Reply to the test TXT you get, and you're ready to roll. Any time you fill the tank, just text them M P G (Miles Price Gallons) and they'll add it to your log and send you back a text with your MPG for the tank and your lifetime average!

--------------------

ElantraClub - This isn't just a site you visit. It's something you're a part of.

+Quote Post
3 members thank NevynPA for this post
FSUspectra, milehighhyundai, Silentwolf
Silentwolf
post Aug 11 2011, 08:12 AM
Post #7 | Print

2006 GLS Hatch
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 1.03
Thanks Received: 87
Trader Stats: 3 (100%)
Member No.: 2,051
Mood: Accomplished

Txtin bit is some nice info and makes it easier on those half-tank fill ups.

--------------------

Hunter: An 06 5-Door GLS w/ items now too numerous to mention here. Check them out in my garage!

+Quote Post
NevynPA
post Aug 11 2011, 09:49 AM
Post #8 | Print

Group Icon

If you fill with a "Partial" tank, you just add the letter P to the gallons and it marks it a partial fill. Example: 352.1 3.459 9.78p <--note letter P and no space between letter and gallons.

--------------------

ElantraClub - This isn't just a site you visit. It's something you're a part of.

+Quote Post
slowgls
post Aug 11 2011, 05:50 PM
Post #9 | Print

That Guy..
Group Icon
Group: Leader
Posts Per Day: 1.18
Thanks Received: 724
Trader Stats: 16 (100%)
Member No.: 6,539
Mood: Thankful

Yea i feel this will be a good tread to start to help people get better mpg.I will be going on a week on less than a half tank of gas. Omg that is awesome!!.

--------------------

"This may be true but it is a chrysler sebring which is synonomous with being a p.o.s. car. Personally I gotta say it's getting
really tiring having to clean off the sopping wet panties from my Hyundai Elantra every morning. Bitches love Hyundais."

"Sometimes you wonder how the sperm that made that idiot was the fastest swimmer. . . Must've had a "race motor" in it with nass under the hood. . . " - Alex2013gt

+Quote Post
Millstone
post Aug 11 2011, 10:02 PM
Post #10 | Print

Club Regular
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Thanks Received: 3
Member No.: 9,886

QUOTE (NevynPA @ Aug 11 2011, 07:47 AM) *
Nice to see this thread...and nice that it wasn't me that started it! Clicking the 'Thumbs-Up' button on this one for sure. I have LOTS of data collected for/from my K&N filter testing; now that Flickr is unblocked at work I'll be able to get photos up in the near future. smile.gif I filled this morning, but didn't calc it out yet.

Fuelly.com is a great place to sign up and track gas mileage. They make it real easy by allowing updates via text message! Once you're signed up, turn on SMS updates and put in your phone number. Reply to the test TXT you get, and you're ready to roll. Any time you fill the tank, just text them M P G (Miles Price Gallons) and they'll add it to your log and send you back a text with your MPG for the tank and your lifetime average!

when did "MPG" become "Miles Price Gallons" ?

--------------------

A proud member of the club.

+Quote Post
sarge
post Aug 11 2011, 10:17 PM
Post #11 | Print

CarPuter Masta!
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 1.04
Thanks Received: 130
Trader Stats: 11 (100%)
Member No.: 4,300
Mood: Relaxed

QUOTE (mundayoreo @ Aug 10 2011, 08:41 PM) *
My 03 GT factory dash computer gas consumption rarely changes. Seems to float anywhere between 10.9 and 11.1 km per 100 km. Regardless of how hard I drive it.

Do you reset it often? If you don't reset it, it'll just keep the average since the last reset. At least that's what I've noticed with mine. Now the newer (11+) resets automatically upon fillup.

Pushing mine through the GTA gets me the worst of 10.4, and I've seen the average to be around 8.9l/100km. On the highway the best I got was around the 6.5l/100km, and I pushed just under 800kms out of the tank. Think I could have gotten to 830 if I wasn't worried about being stuck on the highway.

I use aCar on my Droid phone. The past 3 months have me avg at 8.1L/100kms or 28.78mpg

--------------------

carPC Build Thread | My Elantra Site | My Fiero Site | My WebSite | Donate here to keep ElantraClub online and growing.

+Quote Post
1 members thank sarge for this post
HyundaiMunday
NevynPA
post Aug 12 2011, 07:29 AM
Post #12 | Print

Group Icon

QUOTE (Millstone @ Aug 11 2011, 11:02 PM) *
when did "MPG" become "Miles Price Gallons" ?

For submitting to Fuelly via SMS, you submit your text message in that format. After signing up and turning on SMS updates, you send a text to Fuelly in that format, with a space between each.

Example: Someone who drove 500 miles on 10 gallons, and paid $2.29 per gallon would text them this:

500 2.29 10
M P G

Makes it easy to remember. "Is miles first, or gallons? Wait, it's M-P-G. Miles is first." wink.gif

MPG does stand for miles per gallon; that hasn't changed.

--------------------

+Quote Post
4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 user(s) are reading this topic (1 guests and 0 anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No new Topic has attachmentsThe stay in touch thread
58 elantragt 185,808 29th July 2023 - 02:09 AM
Last post by: natesi
No New Posts The new Elantra GT is on it's way
6 elantragt 128,358 21st June 2017 - 08:11 AM
Last post by: elantraelite
No new Pinned: Topic has attachmentsThe Official EC bike thread!
286 popeye 10,173 29th May 2017 - 11:33 AM
Last post by: elantragt
No new The Story of My 2000 Elantra
30 wizewun 45,780 26th January 2017 - 07:32 PM
Last post by: popeye
No New Posts Then there were three cars
...am I becoming a redneck?
5 cobas 9,836 11th September 2016 - 01:28 AM
Last post by: cobas

Copyright 2022 The Elantra Club    
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 03:10 AM
Elantra Club is not affiliated in any way with Hyundai Motor America