This is an archived forum community. It's currently closed to new memberships.
ElantraClub - for all generations

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules Overview
6 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Things that are pointless on cars.
slowgls
post Jan 5 2012, 07:10 PM
Post #1 | Print

That Guy..
Group Icon
Group: Leader
Posts Per Day: 1.18
Thanks Received: 724
Trader Stats: 16 (100%)
Member No.: 6,539
Mood: Thankful

So here is a list of features that come on cars and truck that make me want to kill peolpe.
1. Auto headlights, omg really? If your not smart enough to turn your headlights on you shouldn't be driving.
2. TPMS, they never tell the right pressure, they never act right, If you cant check your tires every time you put gas in or change your oil, you shouldn't be driving.
3. DRL, ok i know its a safety thing but, i don't like them because it shortens the life of the bulb.

So just a few things that i hate, lets here yours.

--------------------

"This may be true but it is a chrysler sebring which is synonomous with being a p.o.s. car. Personally I gotta say it's getting
really tiring having to clean off the sopping wet panties from my Hyundai Elantra every morning. Bitches love Hyundais."

"Sometimes you wonder how the sperm that made that idiot was the fastest swimmer. . . Must've had a "race motor" in it with nass under the hood. . . " - Alex2013gt
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
1 members thank slowgls for this post
elantragt
dirtydave
post Jan 5 2012, 07:35 PM
Post #2 | Print

Power Poster
Group Icon
Group: Lifetimer
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Thanks Received: 21
Trader Stats: 0 (0%)
Member No.: 11,684
Mood: Exhausted

QUOTE (slowgls @ Jan 5 2012, 06:10 PM) *
So here is a list of features that come on cars and truck that make me want to kill peolpe.
1. Auto headlights, omg really? If your not smart enough to turn your headlights on you shouldn't be driving.
2. TPMS, they never tell the right pressure, they never act right, If you cant check your tires every time you put gas in or change your oil, you shouldn't be driving.
3. DRL, ok i know its a safety thing but, i don't like them because it shortens the life of the bulb.

So just a few things that i hate, lets here yours.

Okay, I agree with you, my old car had none of this, but when I look at people driving at 8:00 PM or later with no lights on, I'm happy that most cars have DRL or Auto Headlinghts, DRL because people don't follow the law that states that when your windshield wipers are on, your headlights must be on and DRL is better than nothing. TPMS is useful if you're not checking consistently. I don't check when I fill up with gas and I don't have the patience, time or necessary tools to change my own oil (and why should I when I get them done for free with my new car).

I would add:
Backup Cameras: not necessary, but they are useful especially if you parallel park often
Run-flat tires: It's worse than regular tires and you just don't know about them nearly as soon
Sunroof: Though they look nice they're very limited on the time they can be used
Automatic windows: Windows that automatically go down or up, though if they're auto-down they better be auto-up

--------------------

Warning: Dates in the Calendar are closer than they appear.
Owner of 1 Share of the Green Bay Packers
Hawkeye Football Fan for LIFE

+Quote Post
RPW00Mirage
post Jan 5 2012, 08:23 PM
Post #3 | Print

That Mitsubishi Guy
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Thanks Received: 423
Trader Stats: 3 (100%)
Member No.: 11,480
Mood: Complacent

09 Corolla S by the way -

Personally I love my auto-on lamps. When the sensor deems necessary, it turns my lights on and off when I engage and disengage the parking brake.

I HATE HATE HATE TPMS. I wanted to add an extra 2psi into the tires of the Corolla, instantly the light on the dash came on. Come to find out none of this really matters (won't throw a code or fail inspection) so I just taped over the lamp in the cluster.

Run-Flats are great, especially for safety. Ever had a tire blowout on the highway? Can be scary stuff. Atleast with the run-flat you are much less likely to lose control.\

My windows go auto-down, but not auto-up. I agree... they should do both!

I strongly dislike the drive by wire system. How much EXTRA economy am I really getting out of a vehicle that only gets 27mpg anyways?

This post has been edited by RPW00Mirage: Jan 5 2012, 08:24 PM

--------------------

2014 Veloster Turbo - racecar

2002 Elantra GLS - DEAD AND GONE DEAD AND GONE

+Quote Post
a_v
post Jan 5 2012, 09:51 PM
Post #4 | Print

o hai
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Thanks Received: 219
Trader Stats: 1 (100%)
Member No.: 7,384
Mood: Carefree

Everything advertised in the Ford Focus Titanium ad (sensors telling you when a car's in your blind spot, sensors telling you when you're too close to the car in front), basically things that try to substitute driving properly.
Though I'll disagree with back-up cameras being unnecessary, given how often I see news reports about kids run-over by the family SUV in the driveway.

--------------------

and then I found 5 bucks!

EC Affiliate Mall! Shop online and the club benefits!
If you haven't done so, please take a minute to review the forum rules!

+Quote Post
Red Elantra GT
post Jan 5 2012, 10:16 PM
Post #5 | Print

Post Maniac
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Thanks Received: 136
Member No.: 11,366
Mood: Carefree

Hey-the only problem I have with all the gadgets that are offered on today's cars is when you're driving a different car that doesn't have them and, as an example, you're expecting a warning when you're getting too close to something or something is in your blind spot and you're use to being warned about it.

--------------------

A proud member of the club.
2003 Mercedes-Benz SL500
2013 Hyundai Elantra GT

+Quote Post
Blupupher
post Jan 5 2012, 10:22 PM
Post #6 | Print

back to basics again
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 0.52
Thanks Received: 248
Member No.: 52
Mood: Happy

Sunroof, really? I have mine open probably 3/4 of the time I am driving.

Automatic windows, auto up is not available due to safety reasons (like your arm or a kids head/neck in the way), but technology should be far enough to have sensors that keep it from happening, but I don't really mind no auto up (but wish I had auto down on all my windows).

DRL, wish I had them, but my headlights are on all the time any way (and am on my second set of bulbs at 120,000 miles, so no shortened life for me).

Auto headlights, I could care less either way.

Rear view camera, it can have its place in SUV's, Trucks and vans, but cars it is not really needed.

I don't have TPMS, but do not look forward to my next vehicle having them.

--------------------

"Those who yell the loudest about how unfair the world treated them are usually the reason for the treatment in the first place".
A nurse on a forum I am on

+Quote Post
1 members thank Blupupher for this post
Vinnie
dirtydave
post Jan 5 2012, 11:00 PM
Post #7 | Print

Power Poster
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Thanks Received: 21
Member No.: 11,684
Mood: Exhausted

QUOTE (Blupupher @ Jan 5 2012, 09:22 PM) *
Sunroof, really? I have mine open probably 3/4 of the time I am driving.

Automatic windows, auto up is not available due to safety reasons (like your arm or a kids head/neck in the way), but technology should be far enough to have sensors that keep it from happening, but I don't really mind no auto up (but wish I had auto down on all my windows).

DRL, wish I had them, but my headlights are on all the time any way (and am on my second set of bulbs at 120,000 miles, so no shortened life for me).

Auto headlights, I could care less either way.

Rear view camera, it can have its place in SUV's, Trucks and vans, but cars it is not really needed.

I don't have TPMS, but do not look forward to my next vehicle having them.

I live in Iowa, when it's nice outside at one point, 10-20 minutes later it will be too windy or rainy
The elantra has a safety stop on the auto-up on the window, haven't tested it out myself
I love the DRL, just an added security to help me drive and help people see me
Auto headlights - they're great, but the sensor isn't perfect
I agree with the RVC, the problem is that people RELY on it rather than use it as a tool, I use it to make sure I don't hit my rear bumper when I back into my parking spot
I haven't had a problem with the TPMS system, but it has only been 3 weeks...but 3 cold weeks. I wish I had it on my last car because it would've told me the issues with putting the tires on the chrome rims.

If you think the Back-up cameras are necessary because people are backing up over kids, it's the same problem as having the blind-spot sensors...if you were alert and driving like you should be, it would never be a problem.

As far as run-flats, I have been in a car with a blow-out on the front driving tire, it was just a simple replacement and nothing went out of control. All tires are rated for the speed limits on all roads, the problem is people who drive ABOVE the speed limit. Run Flats generally mean that you don't have a spare tire, and like my new elantra, I feel that the mobility kit is less useful than a spare. My brother had one of his Run-flats go bad on his BMW and he had no spare so he had to wait until a BMW Dealership could replace the tire (3 days later) which is why I'm not quite a fan of them.

--------------------

Warning: Dates in the Calendar are closer than they appear.
Owner of 1 Share of the Green Bay Packers
Hawkeye Football Fan for LIFE

+Quote Post
winc
post Jan 5 2012, 11:27 PM
Post #8 | Print

ersherls erbernd
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Thanks Received: 41
Member No.: 3,096
Mood: Perturbed

Adaptive transmissions SUCK!!! Absolute worst technology EVER!!! I don't care if I've been driving economically most of the time... if I want power, I want it NOW, not wait 10 seconds <exaggeration> for the dang tranny to downshift!!! Then when you progressively hit the throttle farther since it still hasn't downshifted, it goes down a gear (or three) too many, accelerating harder than intended.

False "manumatics"... if you select a gear, it should be in that gear, no exceptions. It should NOT upshift unless it's in auto-mode.

Auto-up windows... don't want 'em, don't need 'em, for safety's sake nothing should have them.

"Courtesy" features that cannot be disabled... DRL, lights/horn with remote... GM's "reverse-lights-on" several minutes after pushing the remote is one of the worst... I see that in parking lots all the time, thinking someone's going to back out of their spot and ram me. I've heard many new parents say the horn honking when locking is wonderful for bringing a finally-sleeping baby from the car, too.

Built-in NAV systems... usually a $2000+ option, costly map-updates, too many menu screens for regular radio/HVAC controls, interrupts your radio giving directions (usually outdated/wrong ones). Portable ones are now quite inexpensive (paid $125 for mine with lifetime map & traffic updates) and can easily move from one vehicle to another.

Satellite radio... terrible sound quality, no matter how good the sound system. I swear there's only half of the music data actually playing.

I can see how some would like a rear-view camera, but for myself it distracts from using the mirrors. I usually back into parking spots while just passing by where I'm parking to see it's clear before backing, rather than backing out of the spot when you've already taken the time to put on a seatbelt and start the car, no longer immediately aware of your surroundings.

Auto-Headlights are okay, but I'm okay with or without them (as long as you can turn them off at night)... I do like that my Wrangler has customizable options to program, such as the headlights will come on automatically when I turn on the wipers.

I have heated/cooled leather seats in my truck... LOVE THEM!!! Especially in Florida during the summer... even if your shirt is soaked with sweat, turn on the seat fan and it'll be dry in 5 or so minutes. I find myself not using the actual A/C as much. Memory features are great too, especially when some a-hole plays with all the buttons & messes it all up, otherwise it takes forever to get back to your own sweet-spot. (Okay, call me a snob). tongue.gif

Never had a problem with TPMS and have had it on 4 vehicles. My neighbor has nitrogen in her tires but has added plain-old air to a couple, so her TMPS goes off every day as the pressures aren't even on all tires as they heat up. Aside from that or putting on different wheels, don't see much annoying about them. They could make them more user-friendly instead of needing to go to the dealer to "learn" the sensor if swapping wheels, or maybe a keyed over-ride switch (like the old passenger air bag/child seat switch) to disable the light.

How come they haven't come up with an auto-stall feature if it detects oil level/pressure or engine temp is out of range?

Lot of other things I could probably think of, but that's a start.

edit: Just thought of another crappy feature... KEYLESS START. I know 2 people that have accidentally left their keys in the house or garage that got to their destination and did not have any way to restart their car to get back home again. That and for anyone to be able to "unlock" it while the keys are in the proximity is not very secure.

--------------------

x

+Quote Post
Vinnie
post Jan 6 2012, 12:01 AM
Post #9 | Print

Elantra Guru
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 0.62
Thanks Received: 558
Member No.: 7,533
Mood: Evil

I have a add-on rear backup camera that is wireless - used only when I'm hitching up to something. Any other time it's useless and distracting.

--------------------

+Quote Post
benman
post Jan 6 2012, 12:48 AM
Post #10 | Print

Post Maniac
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Thanks Received: 268
Member No.: 10,696
Mood: Numb

I agree and disagree on just about everything mentioned. By that, I mean, that for me, it's not simply a useless/not switch -- it's a bit more complex than that. Things fall into categories for me, such as:

We Shouldn't Be Forced to Pay for It

TPMS ranks first in the "not a totally bad idea, but not something the government should force me to pay for" feature. Generally recommended check interval is every other fillup. I check every two weeks (have it as a task in Outlook). One time, it did come on only a few days after I checked it because there was a slow leak -- that was useful, but again, it's not something that we should all have to pay for.

There are probably more.

More Problems Than They're Worth

I agree with Built-In Nav. Manufacturers charge about $1000 for it if you can buy it on its own, but most often it's in a $3000+ package, then it's $200 for map updates. You can buy a GPS for $100 now and you can get those with lifetime maps, or at least cheap updates. I replaced the Nav unit in my wife's Mountaineer (bought it used) with an aftermarket touchscreen that didn't have Nav.

While I like the light that a Sunroof/Moonroof lets in, but they often leak and opening them always causes the turbulence sound in the back unless you crack a window. If they made an OEM or aftermarket stationary window, I would seriously consider putting one in.

Lumbar Support If anyone has every had a car in which this actually made a difference, that's just awesome, but for me, it produces the same results as any of the controls on a Fisher Price driving toy.

Nice Features, But Not at all Essential

These are things that I miss if they're not there, even if they're not at all essential.

Auto-dimming mirrors--I'm missing these now (I have one to install). I'd forgotten how crappy it is to be looking at a ghost image of the back seat or roof.

Auto-off lights--I just like not having to worry about it. The Mountaineer doesn't have them and it's slightly irritating. I'm an unobservant, easily-distracted, absent-minded person. If you're not, good for you.

Power seats with memory--My wife and I switch cars a lot because a) sometimes I need to haul something or drive when we are all in the Mountaineer and b) I make her take the Elantra when she's going somewhere and I'm going to need it (actually saves $1 on a round trip to a store two miles away). We have very different seat positions (her=up high and forward, me=down low, reclined and all the way back) and it's nice that the Mountaineer remembers me--especially that it changes the position before I even get in when I use my remote to unlock it. In the Elantra, I forget and nearly give myself the Heimlich Maneuver with the steering wheel if she drove it last. I also feel bad that she has to manually adjust, although I don't mind that at all.

Maybe Not For You and Me, But I'm Glad They're Required

DRL. It's always been required to have your lights on from dusk to dawn in Pennsylvania and a few years ago they passed a wiper/lights law a and made a big deal about it, claiming they were going to be writing tickets. The other day, during a fairly heavy snow and diminished light, I estimate at least one in three drivers did not have their lights on--many with white or silver cars. I have gotten into this habit (although, they're always on, really). Per the law, DRL aren't even enough in this situation, but I'd welcome that at the very least. You may be the kind of person who thinks of these things, and I may be the kind of person who has conditioned myself to do it, but it needs to be mandatory for the people who don't. Yes, the world would be better if we were all on the same page, but we're not. Why are these "useless" or a problem for anyone? The safety payoff for this (probably save more accidents/lives than you might think) is high considering it's incredibly cheap to implement. TPMS, on the other hand, is expensive and, while it may have environmental impact, probably prevents very few accidents.

Should Be Removed or Changed

Related to DRL, a group of people who should be shot are those who run their parking lights in situations where headlights are required by law (dusk, dawn, wipers on). So, they were cognizant enough to do "something" but not what is required? What, to save a few hours of life in bulbs that cost $5-10? Either 1) the setting should be removed from all new cars or, 2) it should be changed so that the feature is available only when the car is turned off or not moving (for safety of a disabled vehicle where headlights on may actually be unsafe or an unnecessary power drain). It's absolute bullshit to use these as a replacement for headlights when headlights are required. These people are bigger assholes than the people who don't put them on at all because they actually went through a mental process and decided not to do the most effective (and legally required) thing. $#@* them.

--------------------

A proud member of the club.

+Quote Post
NevynPA
post Jan 6 2012, 07:52 AM
Post #11 | Print

EClub Live Chat for Life!
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Thanks Received: 126
Trader Stats: 2 (100%)
Member No.: 8,215
Mood: Sick

Suzuki Kizashi has auto up/down (BOTH!) on all 4 windows. smile.gif

I prefer the XD's "city light" to DRLs.

Power windows are nice, but I really, REALLY like manual crank windows.

Pointless, here it is: LIGHTED CUPHOLDERS.

--------------------

ElantraClub - This isn't just a site you visit. It's something you're a part of.

+Quote Post
Bobzilla
post Jan 6 2012, 08:54 AM
Post #12 | Print

Proud GLT Owner
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 3.03
Thanks Received: 633
Trader Stats: 3 (100%)
Member No.: 532
Mood: Hyper

ABS, TCS, TPMS, ASC, Lane departure warning, self parking, bluetooth, handsfree, sat nav....

--------------------

Founding Member of the Indiana Chapter of the Teeny Weeny Club for Secure Adult Males

"Drag racing is for fast cars, and autocrossing is for fast drivers" -Toecutter

+Quote Post
6 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 user(s) are reading this topic (1 guests and 0 anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts On the subject of Alignments....
E30 stuff
3 slowgls 14,032 12th August 2015 - 08:56 AM
Last post by: Bobzilla
No New Posts Online service manuals for 2012 Elantra Touring
0 BNystrom 11,224 20th April 2015 - 11:50 AM
Last post by: BNystrom
No New Posts One may be coming, One may be going.
5 Dlancer 10,134 12th February 2015 - 09:59 PM
Last post by: Dlancer
No new That was easy...
29 elantragt 26,570 15th May 2014 - 09:27 PM
Last post by: xdforme22
No New Posts One week left.
11 slowgls 12,410 10th April 2014 - 02:33 AM
Last post by: a_v

Copyright 2022 The Elantra Club    
Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 01:57 AM
Elantra Club is not affiliated in any way with Hyundai Motor America