This is an archived forum community. It's currently closed to new memberships.
ElantraClub - for all generations

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules Overview
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Tinting Today, Other ways to reduce sunlight?
dirtydave
post Jun 19 2012, 01:38 PM
Post #1 | Print

Power Poster
Group Icon
Group: Lifetimer
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Thanks Received: 21
Trader Stats: 0 (0%)
Member No.: 11,684
Mood: Exhausted

So, I'm getting the rear window and two back seat windows tinted in my 2012 Elantra today (in about 1 hour). I've been fighting the sunlight causing my care to be extremely hot in just a short amount of time outside, probably not helped by the black leather interior. I've tried sun shades on the front window, but can't find any that fit properly, and I'm not going to tint the front seat windows due to fear of being pulled over and ticketed. Does anyone have a suggestion for what to do to decrease the amount of sunlight that comes in and turns my beautiful car into an oven?

--------------------

Warning: Dates in the Calendar are closer than they appear.
Owner of 1 Share of the Green Bay Packers
Hawkeye Football Fan for LIFE
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Nymeria
post Jun 19 2012, 03:07 PM
Post #2 | Print

look I'm a mermaid
Group Icon
Group: Members
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Thanks Received: 33
Member No.: 12,746
Mood: Creative

Well, I certainly understand the fear of being pulled over. I could have legally gotten 35% in the back, but went with 50% out of paranoia.

That said, 50% on the front windows is safe in most states. (It's legal here in VA, where NOTHING is). You can even get lighter tints if you're concerned about 50%; I saw a 75% when I was looking at my options. Technically you can also tint the top area of the windshield in most states (where the manufacturer's tint is), but I don't really see the point.

As far as a sunshade, I just bought this one and really like it: Heatshield Custom Sunshade - 2012 Elantra.
(Full disclosure--the product review is by me smile.gif )

Between the 50% tint and the sunshield, I've noticed a dramatic decrease in "baking."

--------------------

[  Keep this forum open for $6.99  ]     VIP access is now cheaper than a six-pack.

[  Keep this forum open for free  ]     Buying something online? Click on an affiliate link -- it's free and helps the forum.

2012 Elantra Limited with tech package, Titanium Grey exterior / Grey  interior    [  Garage & Photos  ]

+Quote Post
dirtydave
post Jun 19 2012, 03:14 PM
Post #3 | Print

Power Poster
Group Icon

I had the option of any amount in the back half, would have had to sign a waiver for the front half, and that would likely not have been sellable. I am getting 5% on the seat windows, 15 on the back windshield. I could go full block, but I think on most cars looks kind of bad, but that's just me.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Red Elantra GT
post Jun 19 2012, 03:40 PM
Post #4 | Print

Post Maniac
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 0.37
Thanks Received: 136
Trader Stats: 1 (100%)
Member No.: 11,366
Mood: Carefree

Hey-I got the darkest tint available for the rear window, and use a sunshade on the windshield when I park that consist of two large rectangles that, when put together, flip to become a small flat circle that I put under the passenger seat when driving. They cover the windshield completely when in use. I also park in shade when available, even if it means walking a distance over parking closer in full sun. I think I got the sunshade at Walmart and it was the largest one they carry.

--------------------

A proud member of the club.
2003 Mercedes-Benz SL500
2013 Hyundai Elantra GT

+Quote Post
dirtydave
post Jun 19 2012, 03:43 PM
Post #5 | Print

Power Poster
Group Icon

Unfortunately, there is no shade in the lot that I park in. We have assigned spots and mine gets sunlight from 8 am until about 5 pm, so when I work from home...it's an oven.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Red Elantra GT
post Jun 19 2012, 03:51 PM
Post #6 | Print

Post Maniac
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 0.37
Thanks Received: 136
Trader Stats: 1 (100%)
Member No.: 11,366

Hey-the window tint probably won't help keep the interior cooler. Same for a windshield sunshade. Both definitely help minimize interior sun damage. A light color car cover would help keep the car cooler and reduce sun damage to the entire car. It's best, when using one of those, to put it on the car only when it's clean, to prevent scratching the paint. I used those on all my cars when I parked at the office all day.

--------------------

2003 Mercedes-Benz SL500
2013 Hyundai Elantra GT

+Quote Post
Nymeria
post Jun 19 2012, 04:03 PM
Post #7 | Print

look I'm a mermaid
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Thanks Received: 33
Member No.: 12,746
Mood: Creative

QUOTE (dirtydave @ Jun 19 2012, 04:14 PM) *
I had the option of any amount in the back half, would have had to sign a waiver for the front half, and that would likely not have been sellable. I am getting 5% on the seat windows, 15 on the back windshield. I could go full block, but I think on most cars looks kind of bad, but that's just me.

Oh, I see--didn't realize you were going so dark in the back. I wish I had that option--it's gonna look great.

I don't know how much the sunshade is actually minimizing heat damage, but I know it really decreases that oh-god-open-all-the-doors kind of baking heat from parking in the sun. I forgot to put it up this morning and was an unhappy camper when I got back in my car in the afternoon.

--------------------

[  Keep this forum open for $6.99  ]     VIP access is now cheaper than a six-pack.

[  Keep this forum open for free  ]     Buying something online? Click on an affiliate link -- it's free and helps the forum.

2012 Elantra Limited with tech package, Titanium Grey exterior / Grey  interior    [  Garage & Photos  ]

+Quote Post
dirtydave
post Jun 19 2012, 05:10 PM
Post #8 | Print

Power Poster
Group Icon

QUOTE (Nymeria @ Jun 19 2012, 04:03 PM) *
Oh, I see--didn't realize you were going so dark in the back. I wish I had that option--it's gonna look great.

I don't know how much the sunshade is actually minimizing heat damage, but I know it really decreases that oh-god-open-all-the-doors kind of baking heat from parking in the sun. I forgot to put it up this morning and was an unhappy camper when I got back in my car in the afternoon.

I could've chose any darkness, but I figured the darker, the better when it comes to keeping the interior cooler and keeping the interior in better condition. I could've even gone to 50% on the front, but I wasn't going to sign a waiver to keep them free of any liability. As far as keeping it cooler, I'm just hoping that not being in direct sunlight (free of UV and tons of sunlight) will hopefully help it a bit. I bought the jumbo sized sunshade from the mart (wal-mart) as the standard size is too small, hopefully it will help. I'm just hoping that something I've done helps out the complete package as far as cooling the interior and keeping it in better condition goes. I've also noticed that it dramatically reduces the harshness of the headlights at night.

I like it so far, once I get some good light to take pictures in, I'll take some with the tint on, I have some before pictures though. I'm happy with the job, and the people that did it did a great job, lifetime warranty makes me happy too!

--------------------

+Quote Post
IHeartMyRedCar
post Jun 19 2012, 06:54 PM
Post #9 | Print

Power Poster
Group Icon
Thanks Received: 59
Member No.: 6,037
Mood: Bouncy

I have a red MD with black leather interior. My interior has never I repeat never been too hot to touch. I have 5% tint on the rear window and 20% the whole way around. I got a custom sunshade off of Ebay for 35 dollars. I realized that the car gets really hot because the interior gets hot and radiates so much heat. It was 100 degrees out and nothing was too hot to touch with the sunshade up and the tint. The sunshade keeps the car way cooler because it prevents the dash from heating up.

--------------------

"You drive an elantra, I drive an elantra. Let's mate......I mean date!"

+Quote Post
dirtydave
post Jun 19 2012, 07:00 PM
Post #10 | Print

Power Poster
Group Icon

QUOTE (IHeartMyRedCar @ Jun 19 2012, 06:54 PM) *
My interior has never I repeat never been too hot to touch.

My interior (the seats/dash) have never been too hot to touch, the wheel has got close before, but the radiative effect from the black seats is near unbearable most of the time. I'm just hoping this does something to decrease that, and going out just now after the car sitting in direct sunlight for 3 hours has helped me be happy with that.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Graves
post Jun 21 2012, 01:27 PM
Post #11 | Print

Club Newbie
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Thanks Received: 4
Member No.: 10,791

Somthing to try might be cracking the rear windows about a thumb width on both sides. This will let the heated/expanded air out of the car and help keep it cooler.

I work in the middle of nowwhere so I just leave my windows down all the way. I run by the philosophy that if someone wants in my car or somthing in my car they'll get in windows up or not.

--------------------

+Quote Post
dirtydave
post Jun 21 2012, 01:37 PM
Post #12 | Print

Power Poster
Group Icon

QUOTE (Graves @ Jun 21 2012, 01:27 PM) *
Somthing to try might be cracking the rear windows about a thumb width on both sides. This will let the heated/expanded air out of the car and help keep it cooler.

I work in the middle of nowwhere so I just leave my windows down all the way. I run by the philosophy that if someone wants in my car or somthing in my car they'll get in windows up or not.

I've done that, but I'm still weary about doing that over night, or throughout the day as there is almost always a scare of rain, or as an even worse alternative, bird droppings. I've gone and had my car completely cleaned and that night, it's all a mess thanks to my avian friends.

--------------------

+Quote Post
2 Pages V   1 2 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 user(s) are reading this topic (1 guests and 0 anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Today's experience at the dealership
cost for an oil chnage
17 CharlieC 3,394 23rd May 2014 - 11:26 AM
Last post by: Bobzilla
No New Posts Today only, become a two year VIP member for less than a one year
7 elantragt 2,771 17th September 2012 - 09:18 PM
Last post by: elantragt
No New Posts Today only - Lifetime VIP craziness
12 elantragt 3,799 29th August 2012 - 04:07 PM
Last post by: elantragt
No New Posts Today Just Went Downhill...
12 NevynPA 1,588 4th January 2011 - 12:20 PM
Last post by: 02elantragts gurl
No New Posts Tinting in Toronto
0 MEly 2,841 21st April 2008 - 08:22 AM
Last post by: MEly

Copyright 2022 The Elantra Club    
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:57 PM
Elantra Club is not affiliated in any way with Hyundai Motor America