This is an archived forum community. It's currently closed to new memberships.
ElantraClub - for all generations

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules Overview
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Not for an Elantra, but stereo upgrade, For my '02 F150
Blupupher
post May 3 2014, 07:13 PM
Post #1 | Print

back to basics again
Group Icon
Group: Lifetimer
Posts Per Day: 0.52
Thanks Received: 248
Trader Stats: 1 (100%)
Member No.: 52
Mood: Happy

Not for an Elantra, but figured I would as here.
I am looking to update my audio system in my '02 F150 Supercrew, but don't feel I need to spend a ton of money on it.
I am not an audiophile, but want something that sounds better than stock and would like to be able to access my iPhone (Pandora and music on the phone) and would like bluetooth connectivity.

I was wanting to get a head unit, 4 speakers and maybe an amp, and wanting to keep it around $300.

Looking around on Crutchfield I put together what I think is an OK system for my wants and needs.

Head unit: Pioneer DEH-X6600BT

Speakers: Not sure on these. Was initially just going to get 4 Pioneer TS-G6844R 2 way 6x8 speakers, but then I thought maybe I should get 2 of those for the rear and then 2 Pioneer TS-A6885R 4 way 6x8 speakers for the front.
Any recommendations?

Since I was still under $300, figured get an amp too. The Clarion XC1410 looks to fit what I want, nothing crazy, but more power for the speakers.

Total is $360 (if I get a pair of 2 way and pair of 4 way) so just over what I was looking at, but not too bad.

Any feedback on this setup? Any other suggestions?

--------------------

"Those who yell the loudest about how unfair the world treated them are usually the reason for the treatment in the first place".
A nurse on a forum I am on
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Alex2013GT
post May 3 2014, 10:49 PM
Post #2 | Print

GT for life!
Group Icon
Group: VIP Members
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Thanks Received: 478
Trader Stats: 2 (100%)
Member No.: 34
Mood: Optimistic

That sounds like that will be a nice setup to me and very reasonably priced. I think you would be happy with that!

--------------------

Please consider helping keep the club online and independent. Donate here to help the club.

Current Car: 2013 Hyundai Elantra GT, 6 spd manual w/ the style and tech packages
Previous Hyundai's: 2011 Hyundai Sonata SE in Venetian Red; 2006 Hyundai Sonata GLS, 3.3L V-6 in Ebony Black; 2004 Elantra GT, 5 spd manual in tidal wave blue

+Quote Post
roydjt
post May 4 2014, 02:20 AM
Post #3 | Print

Outta the way!
Group Icon
Group: Leader
Posts Per Day: 0.85
Thanks Received: 272
Trader Stats: 4 (100%)
Member No.: 33
Mood: Cocky

DON'T GET 4-WAY SPEAKERS!! Those will be overpowering with treble. I had a set of Pioneer 4-way speakers in the rear of my Elantra hatch and couldn't wait to replace them with 2-way speakers. There was nothing I could do to keep the high end from piercing through the rest of the sound spectrum. Just my humble opinion, but I feel strongly about this. The 4-way might sound good if you listen to a bunch of hip-hop where the ends of the spectrum are emphasized, but if you listen to rock and especially jazz or classical, the 4-ways will sound like crap.

Crutchfield is great, but their prices can be beat. Take a look at SonicElectronix.com. The 2-way Pioneers are $15 less there.
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_41271_...-TS-G6844R.html
...since I'm an Infinity fan, there's this: http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_18911_...ity-6832cf.html

Also, I'd consider finding a small sub to stash behind the seats if you want any thump. Your mains can't handle midrange and bass at the same time, so passing off the 80hz and below frequencies to a driver meant for just that will make the whole setup sound a ton better while adding some more thump and reducing the door rattles.

-Roy

--------------------

"If what Jesus said was good, what can it matter if he was God or not?" - Kurt Vonnegut

+Quote Post
Blupupher
post May 4 2014, 06:18 AM
Post #4 | Print

back to basics again
Group Icon

QUOTE (roydjt @ May 4 2014, 02:20 AM) *
DON'T GET 4-WAY SPEAKERS!! Those will be overpowering with treble. I had a set of Pioneer 4-way speakers in the rear of my Elantra hatch and couldn't wait to replace them with 2-way speakers. There was nothing I could do to keep the high end from piercing through the rest of the sound spectrum. Just my humble opinion, but I feel strongly about this. The 4-way might sound good if you listen to a bunch of hip-hop where the ends of the spectrum are emphasized, but if you listen to rock and especially jazz or classical, the 4-ways will sound like crap.

Crutchfield is great, but their prices can be beat. Take a look at SonicElectronix.com. The 2-way Pioneers are $15 less there.
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_41271_...-TS-G6844R.html
...since I'm an Infinity fan, there's this: http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_18911_...ity-6832cf.html

Also, I'd consider finding a small sub to stash behind the seats if you want any thump. Your mains can't handle midrange and bass at the same time, so passing off the 80hz and below frequencies to a driver meant for just that will make the whole setup sound a ton better while adding some more thump and reducing the door rattles.

-Roy

Yeah, I posted this on the F150 forum and I am getting the same response about the 4 way. Same for the sub. I don't really want one, and my truck has 4 captains chairs so finding a place for the sub is a little harder.

I will probably get 4 2 way speakers, the amp and headunit, and if I do find the bass lacking, I may look into a 10" sub. But I figure this will sound much better than stock even without the sub.

As for price, Crutchfield has a deal that I get the speakers for $37 with the headunit (plus the speaker cable adapters included) along with free shipping, so it comes out better from Crutchfield IMO.

edit: Well, I just went to sonics website and added all the stuff, and even with me having to add the speaker connectors, it is $25 cheaper there.

--------------------

"Those who yell the loudest about how unfair the world treated them are usually the reason for the treatment in the first place".

+Quote Post
Blupupher
post May 6 2014, 12:58 PM
Post #5 | Print

back to basics again
Group Icon

Well, looking around on e-bay I came across this

New OEM Kenwood stereo for my '04 for only $50 shipped. My current one has the TOC error with the CD. I am debating getting this to use in my truck so I can keep my Sirius (I have a lifetime subscription on the Sirius tuner, so I want to keep it, and it is not compatable with current Kenwood head units).

--------------------

+Quote Post
slowgls
post May 6 2014, 01:13 PM
Post #6 | Print

That Guy..
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 1.18
Thanks Received: 724
Trader Stats: 16 (100%)
Member No.: 6,539
Mood: Thankful

That would work. But one thing i will tell you is, The better speakers you get the better it will sound. Plus you may want to amp them. Better sound and more control.

--------------------

"This may be true but it is a chrysler sebring which is synonomous with being a p.o.s. car. Personally I gotta say it's getting
really tiring having to clean off the sopping wet panties from my Hyundai Elantra every morning. Bitches love Hyundais."

"Sometimes you wonder how the sperm that made that idiot was the fastest swimmer. . . Must've had a "race motor" in it with nass under the hood. . . " - Alex2013gt

+Quote Post
Blupupher
post May 6 2014, 01:35 PM
Post #7 | Print

back to basics again
Group Icon

Yeah. I just ordered the OEM headunit, figured I would give it a try, worst case I can put it in the Elantra before I sell it to give it a working CD player (I may sell it to my nephew).

I also ordered the Clarion amp and the pioneer speakers from sonic, so I will see how it sounds too.

One question on the amp, do I have to use the RCA plugs or can I use the regular speaker wires? Does it make a difference?

--------------------

+Quote Post
slowgls
post May 6 2014, 02:02 PM
Post #8 | Print

That Guy..
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 1.18
Thanks Received: 724
Trader Stats: 16 (100%)
Member No.: 6,539
Mood: Thankful

Run rca's from the deck to the amp. Your going to need 4 channel rca. Then you need to run speaker wires from the amp to the speakers. So there is no reason to hook them up at the deck.

--------------------

"This may be true but it is a chrysler sebring which is synonomous with being a p.o.s. car. Personally I gotta say it's getting
really tiring having to clean off the sopping wet panties from my Hyundai Elantra every morning. Bitches love Hyundais."

"Sometimes you wonder how the sperm that made that idiot was the fastest swimmer. . . Must've had a "race motor" in it with nass under the hood. . . " - Alex2013gt

+Quote Post
hyundave
post May 6 2014, 04:47 PM
Post #9 | Print

Poster Pro
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 0.21
Thanks Received: 180
Member No.: 11,051
Mood: Full

Personally I'd vote component in the front and coaxial in the back. Might make the install a little more tedious but definitely worth it. Or just get fronts and forget about the rears. You want more sound coming from your front anyway to get that "concert" sense.

I love having my high vocals and sounds differentiated from my midbass in the door. Makes for a much cleaner sound.

--------------------

2008 Hyundai Elantra SE / Carbon Grey / Incus Body Kit / Sold at 98,400 miles
2011 Hyundai Genesis Coupe Premium / Black / Current DD at 43,000 miles

+Quote Post
Blupupher
post May 6 2014, 06:54 PM
Post #10 | Print

back to basics again
Group Icon

Yeah, if I was really picky I would put more into it, but really just want something better than stock (that had more options than AM/FM/Cass/CD) that won't break the bank.
$50 for the radio (since I can still use my Sirius, I can live without connecting to my phone, and was happy with the sound the OEM Kenwood had in the Elantra), $80 for the speakers, $85 for the amp and another $20 or so for adapters, wires and connectors and such.

I actually just finished running the power wire from the battery into the cab and also put the satellite receiver in the dash. Not sure exactly where I will put the amp, it is a smaller one so I am hoping it will fit in a spot I see under the dash. If not, I know it will fit under the pass seat, will just need to get some longer RCA cables for that (I may have some long enough, need to go look in a box).

Funny you mention having more sound from the fronts. I had always set my systems so the fade was to the rear (maybe +2 or 3 to the rear) but I read somewhere a few years ago to set it to the front + 1 or 2 for better sound so I tried it, and it really does sound better.

--------------------

+Quote Post
hyundave
post May 7 2014, 07:36 AM
Post #11 | Print

Poster Pro
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 0.21
Thanks Received: 180
Member No.: 11,051
Mood: Full

Yea I've never understood why people want to be "driving away" from the sound. If anything I want to be driving closer to it! Get that concert feel. That's just me though. I know a lot of audio fanatics who simply do away with their rear speakers, throw a 3 way component set up in the front, and design their subwoofers vibrations to hit the top of the windshield so it's angled into the front of the car. Pretty crazy stuff but when done right you really get a neat sensation.

Now when you're on a $300 budget, yea just go with what sounds a little better hahah

--------------------

2008 Hyundai Elantra SE / Carbon Grey / Incus Body Kit / Sold at 98,400 miles
2011 Hyundai Genesis Coupe Premium / Black / Current DD at 43,000 miles

+Quote Post
Blupupher
post May 10 2014, 10:47 PM
Post #12 | Print

back to basics again
Group Icon

Well the radio and mounting bezel came in yesterday. Still waiting on everything else.

When I ordered, it said should be here by Friday, but now looks like it will be Monday (one was supposed to be here today). Kinda irks me, I was off today and was hoping to get it all installed. Since it probably wont get here till late Monday and I am helping a co-worker move on Tuesday it may not be till Wednesday when I get it finished.
At least it gives me time to do the sound deadening on the doors (still have to do the fronts, will do them Monday).

I was also going to change my transmission fluid and filter, but since the filter is in the same order...

--------------------

+Quote Post
2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 user(s) are reading this topic (1 guests and 0 anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Elantra Sport review
4 elantragt 108,440 21st June 2017 - 05:26 PM
Last post by: elantragt
No New Posts anyone live in baltimore area?
13 05daily 62,948 11th April 2017 - 10:01 AM
Last post by: Alphabetwiz
No New Posts Another OEM Nav upgrade?
0 Docnoisewater 1,235 2nd March 2017 - 09:35 PM
Last post by: Docnoisewater
No New Posts Any recommended age-related maintenance?
2 DaveJ 740 19th February 2017 - 11:13 AM
Last post by: DaveJ
No New Posts For Sale: Ksport Coilover kit
13 Bobzilla 2,100 24th December 2016 - 11:26 AM
Last post by: slowgls

Copyright 2022 The Elantra Club    
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 12:45 AM
Elantra Club is not affiliated in any way with Hyundai Motor America