This is an archived forum community. It's currently closed to new memberships.
ElantraClub - for all generations

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules Overview

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Who is from Colorado?
only1db
post Nov 10 2010, 06:50 AM
Post #1 | Print

Elantra Guru
Group Icon
Group: Members
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Thanks Received: 59
Trader Stats: 0 (0%)
Member No.: 2,023
Mood: Accomplished

looks like i have the potential of moving out there. i do have a couple of questions though....

how is the car culture? inspections? mod friendly? are the winters that bad? i know kinda silly questions but this is what i have come up with.

thanks in advance.

--------------------

Silver Certified Hyundai Tech turned Sonographer...and blogger?? check it out! All Things Hyundai!

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Bobzilla
post Nov 10 2010, 08:26 AM
Post #2 | Print

Proud GLT Owner
Group Icon
Group: Lifetimer
Posts Per Day: 3.04
Thanks Received: 633
Trader Stats: 3 (100%)
Member No.: 532
Mood: Hyper

Winters will depend on what part of Colorado you are talking about. Eastern Colorado is flat as fuck and has some windy cold winters. Western Colorado is mostly about 8k feet and has soem deep snowy winters.

--------------------

Founding Member of the Indiana Chapter of the Teeny Weeny Club for Secure Adult Males

"Drag racing is for fast cars, and autocrossing is for fast drivers" -Toecutter

+Quote Post
only1db
post Nov 10 2010, 02:07 PM
Post #3 | Print

Elantra Guru
Group Icon

we are looking at boulder....their website says they do get snow, but its not cold...like 30's and not - something haha

--------------------

Silver Certified Hyundai Tech turned Sonographer...and blogger?? check it out! All Things Hyundai!

+Quote Post
milehighhyundai
post Nov 10 2010, 11:58 PM
Post #4 | Print

Subdude dude
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Thanks Received: 44
Member No.: 7,353
Mood: Dorky

I can help you there... I live 15 miles east of planet Boulder. It is a pretty (but very weird) place.

Emissions testing is the only thing they do here- nothing allowed that will trip a CEL (cat removal, etc). The car culture is great for FI rides or Subaru's. Outside of that, there are car clubs (lots of shows & mountain drives in the summer) for imports (the Miata club is strong).

CO requires running front/ rear plates or the parking nazi's will cite you (Boulder is the WORST).

I highly recommend picking up a set of steelies and run dedicated winter tires. Much better traction in cold temps and protect your nice wheels from the deicing crap on the roads after the snow storms.

Let me know what you need, I am happy to help on this end!

--------------------

2012 Chevy Cruze Eco 6mt- yay turbo!
2011 Dodge Grand Caravan Crew... Pentastar powah!

Prev:
2009 Elantra SE- Great car that served me well

+Quote Post
only1db
post Nov 11 2010, 06:54 AM
Post #5 | Print

Elantra Guru
Group Icon

thanks man! i will definetly pick your brain.

and yeah when i was in PA i had my winter and summer tires.

what do you guys use on the roads out there? do they salt like they do in the NE? gonna have to worry about everything rusting up again?

do you know how the housing market is out there?

--------------------

+Quote Post
milehighhyundai
post Nov 11 2010, 10:59 PM
Post #6 | Print

Subdude dude
Group Icon

Most area's use a liquid deicer called mag-chloride. The worst part about it is the white residue on the car that looks like salt but is much harder on the paint than salt. The benefit is that the main roads are usually in good shape and rust is a non-issue for most cars. Mid 80's Toyota trucks look like hell but everything else seems fine.

For most of the time, the wx here is usually sunny and dry, and the snow melts fairly fast, unlike in the NE. Today, we woke up to snow (about and inch or two). It was melted and the roads were dry by mid afternoon. We occasionally get an epic storm that drops a foot or two that makes roads impassable for a day or so. Otherwise, it's just mainly cold roads and icy spots in shady area's during the winter. Of course, the mountains are a different story...

As for home prices, the market is slowly recovering. There are many deals to be had with a high foreclosure rate (thankfully better than FL), makes me wish I waited and just rented when we moved back here in 2006. Interest rates are great for those who are in a position to buy now. Nice size houses can be had for under 500k in Boulder now.

Also, there are many really nice and much less expensive communities in the vicinity of Boulder that I suggest checking out. Louisville, Lafayette, Erie and Broomfield are great places to live and have great schools for kids if that is a concern. All are within 15 minutes of the Boulder area, and are much less $$ and less weird.

Keep 'em coming!

--------------------

Prev:

+Quote Post
only1db
post Nov 12 2010, 02:38 PM
Post #7 | Print

Elantra Guru
Group Icon

weird? im on the more libral side if you havent noticed...haha

yeah i saw the prices and was like WOW, but surrounding areas will be just fine. we are going to be renting when we first get out there (looks like a very good possibility) so buying right away will not be an option. I need to be established first and check everything out.

we are not looking for the 4 and 5 bedroom house. i just want a nice place with a deck and a hottub! haha a nice view would be preferable but hey, cant be too picky.

if we were in the denver area...what areas would you recommend? is that where you are?

thanks...i'm sure i'll think of more! thanks for the info man i really do appreciate it....a year or so when i'm out there i'll have to hook you up with some work for the info! hhah a

--------------------

+Quote Post
milehighhyundai
post Nov 12 2010, 09:31 PM
Post #8 | Print

Subdude dude
Group Icon

There are lots of cool places around here to live. A small place with a hot tub should be a fairly easy score. I really like Louisville, as it is a very cute little town that is close to everything that one needs. Yes, it is a little pricey (cheaper than Boulder) but it should fit your needs. Boulder is beyond liberal... just a weird (okay, eccentric) place with a really nice college (Go Buffs!). If you drive a Prius or Outback you will fit right in!
We live in a little town just east of there- Brighton. Very nice little family town with a lot of farming influence. Mountains are close (I can see the Flatirons in Boulder easily), downtown is within 20 minutes.

BTW- my grandmother & extended family all reside in Melbourne and Palm Bay... small little world...

If you need a realtor (I know you want to rent first) let me know... I can connect you.

Derek

--------------------

Prev:

+Quote Post
only1db
post Nov 13 2010, 08:28 AM
Post #9 | Print

Elantra Guru
Group Icon

sweet! your name is derek? haha mine too! anyway...

ill have to dig further and NO I HATE PRIUS! they are an absolute waste....the amount of energy that goes into the producing of the batteries and the mining of hte nickel make it null and void for saving on carbon emissions (dont get me started! ahah )

so how about when i have a truck full of stuff? wanna help me move it? haha

is the state mod friendly? other then the emissions? is it a tailpipe test or a visual test?

--------------------

+Quote Post
milehighhyundai
post Nov 14 2010, 02:53 PM
Post #10 | Print

Subdude dude
Group Icon

No Prius for me either... I love blowing by them in my "fun to drive Elantra" and I get close to the same mileage... 35-38 mpg routinely...

As for mods, as long as the cats are there- along with the MAP/MAF and no CEL- you should pass just fine. Keep in mind that emissions here is county by county- not all have the test. Weld county is the place with zero requirements as it is mostly rural and farm equipment. The metro Denver area has the tightest rules although there must be quite a bit of leeway- I still see (and smell) some nasty cars and trucks around. All of my cars (even the old Miata) barely register on the smog check.

They do have a visual test, run it on a dyno (I call it the treadmill stress test), and check the gas cap (pressure test) for zero leaks. Also, when you do this for the first time you will need to have a VIN verification check for about $15- have all of your ownership docs with you.

Let me know when you are coming, I am happy to help! Will work for beer! biggrin.gif

Oh yeah- get ready for a gutless feeling to your car here at elevation. It's great for MPG yet sucks when you feel so "flat footed" all of the time... you do get used to it after awhile...

--------------------

Prev:

+Quote Post
only1db
post Nov 14 2010, 04:07 PM
Post #11 | Print

Elantra Guru
Group Icon

so power adders are a must! hahah

are the roads smooth or beaten up because of the weather?

you'll have to t ell what kind, because i dont drink. haha probably next sept. so its a ways off. we are just doing our research and asking around. the more we look into it though, the more appealing it looks.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 user(s) are reading this topic (1 guests and 0 anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Wholesaler Closeout Wiper Blades at RockAuto.com!
0 RockAuto 5,674 11th April 2017 - 09:48 AM
Last post by: RockAuto
No New Posts Is Hyundai's new conservative sedan styling failing?
sales numbers
3 elantragt 10,832 11th May 2016 - 06:51 AM
Last post by: RPW00Mirage
No New Posts From the rumor mill --- Elantra Sport
5 elantragt 1,531 6th February 2016 - 07:10 PM
Last post by: slowgls
No New Posts Is this a wise move, defecting from my Saturn L to an Elantra?
Thinking of defecting from a 2000 Saturn L to Elantra.......
4 cavalier 5,494 3rd January 2016 - 11:42 PM
Last post by: mlumz
No new votes Poll: Topic has attachmentsIs your Elantra high mileage?
A Poll
167 elantragt 124,524 14th December 2015 - 12:40 AM
Last post by: emod79

Copyright 2022 The Elantra Club    
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 03:37 AM
Elantra Club is not affiliated in any way with Hyundai Motor America