This is an archived forum community. It's currently closed to new memberships.
ElantraClub - for all generations

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules Overview

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Towing Inflatable Boat with my Elantra
Spectre
post Apr 22 2016, 08:46 PM
Post #1 | Print

Power Poster
Group Icon
Group: Members
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Thanks Received: 17
Trader Stats: 1 (100%)
Member No.: 6,893

I am inclined to think that my Elantra will be able to do this quite easily, but last summer I acquired an inflatable boat that has a wood bottom and back to it. It's a 1991 Avon R2-80 and it weighs about 85 pounds. I'll also have a motor on it (no more than 83 pounds), and I will probably get a small utility trailer and convert it to a boat trailer. I have no doubt that my Elantra can pull this boat, but I have been thinking about getting both a transmission cooler and trailer brakes to help it tow the boat, but at the same time, since this load will be so light, it might be overkill. If my car can tow the boat (and I imagine it can do so easily), will it be necessary to invest in these extras prior to towing?

P.S. My Elantra has an automatic transmission.

--------------------

2004 Hyundai Elantra
K & N Filter, V Power NGK Sparkplugs, 8" Bazooka Tube, Clifford Matrix 12 Security System, Beltronics STI-R Remote Mount Radar Detector, Cheetah GPS Mirror, Clarion NX-602 GPS head unit, Sport Edition A10 wheels, Kumho Sense KR26 tires, Sensen struts, H & R Springs, 18mm Tiburon sway bar, Brakemotive rotors

1991 Mazda Miata Special Edition BRG
'99 1.8L engine swap, Magnaflow Highflow Cat Converter

1995 Ford Ranger 3.0 5 Speed
---------------------------------------

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
The Gegenator
post Apr 22 2016, 09:33 PM
Post #2 | Print

'04 Black GT Sedan
Group Icon
Group: Lifetimer
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Thanks Received: 198
Trader Stats: 6 (100%)
Member No.: 1,092
Mood: Romantic

I have towed with my Elantra for over 10 years. Mine's a manual though. I can't imagine that would be so much weight you'd need a cooler. However, it couldn't hurt.

One upgrade I would suggest though is either the rear 03' GT Tiburon sway bar, Energy suspension poly bushings, or both. That absolutely eliminates any potential trailer sway (but again, what you're towing isn't very heavy).

I used to tow a 14' fiberglass boat/trailer, a pop-up camper, and a utility trailer with stock brakes and had no problems. Just give yourself plenty of stopping distance and don't honk on the brakes whenever possible to avoid overheating them.

--------------------

Music Teacher/Geek for life!!

+Quote Post
2000J25SP
post Apr 22 2016, 09:53 PM
Post #3 | Print

Poster Pro
Group Icon
Group: Lifetimer
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Thanks Received: 229
Trader Stats: 0 (0%)
Member No.: 10,610
Mood: Amused

I remember you asking the same question last year. Dude It's an inflatable boat, your car will pull it just fine.

--------------------

2000 Elantra

+Quote Post
Spectre
post Apr 22 2016, 09:54 PM
Post #4 | Print

Power Poster
Group Icon
Group: Members
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Thanks Received: 17
Trader Stats: 1 (100%)
Member No.: 6,893

QUOTE (The Gegenator @ Apr 22 2016, 09:33 PM) *
I have towed with my Elantra for over 10 years. Mine's a manual though. I can't imagine that would be so much weight you'd need a cooler. However, it couldn't hurt.

One upgrade I would suggest though is either the rear 03' GT Tiburon sway bar, Energy suspension poly bushings, or both. That absolutely eliminates any potential trailer sway (but again, what you're towing isn't very heavy).

I used to tow a 14' fiberglass boat/trailer, a pop-up camper, and a utility trailer with stock brakes and had no problems. Just give yourself plenty of stopping distance and don't honk on the brakes whenever possible to avoid overheating them.
I actually have Senzen Struts, H&R springs, and a tibby 18mm say bar sitting in my house waiting to go on the car. I also have brakemotive slotted and drilled brakes waiting to go on the car as well. I'll definitely get the tranny cooler installed a a precaution, and I'll see how the trailer does without brakes. The load will probably be about 500 pounds.

QUOTE (BecauseRaceCar @ Apr 22 2016, 09:53 PM) *
I remember you asking the same question last year. Dude It's an inflatable boat, your car will pull it just fine.
Strange. I don't remember asking, but it wouldn't be the first time I forgot something. I wasn't able to look very far back at my previous topics to make sure that I didn't ask this question already (I always do that before I post) so I took a chance. tongue.gif

Edit: You're right. I was able to find it by searching. My apologies.

http://www.elantraclub.com/forum/index.php...5&hl=towing

--------------------

2004 Hyundai Elantra
K & N Filter, V Power NGK Sparkplugs, 8" Bazooka Tube, Clifford Matrix 12 Security System, Beltronics STI-R Remote Mount Radar Detector, Cheetah GPS Mirror, Clarion NX-602 GPS head unit, Sport Edition A10 wheels, Kumho Sense KR26 tires, Sensen struts, H & R Springs, 18mm Tiburon sway bar, Brakemotive rotors

1991 Mazda Miata Special Edition BRG
'99 1.8L engine swap, Magnaflow Highflow Cat Converter

1995 Ford Ranger 3.0 5 Speed
---------------------------------------

+Quote Post
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 user(s) are reading this topic (2 guests and 0 anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Elantra Sport review
4 elantragt 108,381 21st June 2017 - 05:26 PM
Last post by: elantragt
No New Posts My 2017 AD Elantra RS (Yes RS) :)-
4 billy4u 65,571 26th January 2017 - 09:16 PM
Last post by: elantragt
No New Posts Elantra GLS 2016 Diesel HID to Xenon
Elantra GLS 2016 Diesel HID to Xenon