This is an archived forum community. It's currently closed to new memberships.
ElantraClub - for all generations

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules Overview

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Alright... so the turd is driving me nuts.
Bobzilla
post Nov 29 2010, 05:23 PM
Post #1 | Print

Proud GLT Owner
Group Icon
Group: Lifetimer
Posts Per Day: 3.04
Thanks Received: 633
Trader Stats: 3 (100%)
Member No.: 532
Mood: Hyper

Good little car. Great gas mileage, doesn't know how to die. but the little nickle and dime things that annoy the shit out of you are starting to pile up. This morning it was a belt squeal that I spent 90 mintes tracking down and was unable to fix (looks to be the AC clutch), which then went completely away when I got halfway to work. Couple weeks back was the main cat code again, but it has not come back. A couple months before was a broken spring in the rear drums causing an issue there....before that.... well, you get the idea.

If it wasn't running so well and being just 100% dependable these annoying things would find this car a new home. Anyone else frustrated with high mile annoyances? BTW, the car turned over 185k miles on it this morning.

--------------------

Founding Member of the Indiana Chapter of the Teeny Weeny Club for Secure Adult Males

"Drag racing is for fast cars, and autocrossing is for fast drivers" -Toecutter
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2001VE
post Nov 29 2010, 07:48 PM
Post #2 | Print

Power Poster
Group Icon
Group: Members
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Thanks Received: 0
Trader Stats: 1 (100%)
Member No.: 4,388
Mood: Chipper

I've got 2 high milage Elantra's on the road , one with 340k kilometers or over 200k miles.

So yeah I hear you.

You might be lucky ; A/C squeel could be tensioner bearing starting to seize over night. If you remove the tensioner pulley you can press out the bearing , I think it was a 6204 worth around $7 . The side seal can be popped off with a slot screwdriver and oil or grease added to confirm it.

But you guys run the A/C a lot more than we do up here, so it could be clutch.

--------------------

A proud member of the club.

+Quote Post
Bobzilla
post Nov 29 2010, 07:54 PM
Post #3 | Print

Proud GLT Owner
Group Icon

I already replaced the tensioner this spring when the bearing took a dump at 170k. It happened 2 weeks after I did the timing belt! D'OH! I think now it's just the clutch bearing starting to give out.

It's a good car.... we can probably sell it for what we purchased it for 3 years ago($2k) and it would still be a good deal. It has all new bearings, brakes, t-belt, acc belts, coolant, waterpump, good tires and wheels..... butthe headlights are TERRIBLE, the suspension has more body motion than a room of strippers with a dj playing oontz oontz music, it's slower than a 90 year old man going in for a prostate exam and has all the personality of a rock. Other than that it's great!

--------------------

Founding Member of the Indiana Chapter of the Teeny Weeny Club for Secure Adult Males

+Quote Post
cobas
post Nov 29 2010, 09:01 PM
Post #4 | Print

Nanomember
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 1.11
Thanks Received: 57
Trader Stats: 2 (100%)
Member No.: 106
Mood: Blah

I think most normal people don't notice the little things. Belt squeals? Get used to it. Brakes don't feel quite right, well it's an old car, it stops, right? Check engine light on...it can stay on for a while. They'll take the car to the shop when it stops driving them to work. By then the mechanic says "Listen... I could fix this for $500 but you're going to need a rebuilt rear drum, a belt tensioner, an A/C clutch, and the struts are old, and you'll need new pads and tires soon too, if not a clutch..." So they sell the car.

You, however (and to a lesser extent me and surely others here) notice and diagnose every little change, every clunk and click and squeal and drone and fix one at a time so the bills pile up slowly instead of hitting us all at once.

--------------------

Help keep ElantraClub running and free for all Elantra owners: Donate.

+Quote Post
VIG
post Nov 29 2010, 11:03 PM
Post #5 | Print

F.K.A. fsv87
Group Icon
Group: Members
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Thanks Received: 189
Trader Stats: 0 (0%)
Member No.: 5,380
Mood: Obnoxious

Trust me, I know the feeling.

This has been the story of my past year with my car. I think I have everything fixed for now though. New belts, new MAP sensor, new tranny fluid, new cats, new o2 sensors, new flex pipe, new plugs, new wires, new valve cover gasket. All of this within the past year! Hopefully she's done with the CELs....or maybe the CEL just burned out. It didn't give me an ounce of trouble for 7 years, then they all just piled on as soon as I moved to Florida. I think it's solid now though. And now that I've put all of that money into it, it better last me until at least 150k.

And the damn thing only has 85k miles!

I still love my car though.

--------------------

Let me be Frank with you.

If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.
R.I.P. 2001 Elantra

+Quote Post
Vampyrate
post Nov 30 2010, 12:02 AM
Post #6 | Print

Call Me Aaron
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 0.85
Thanks Received: 35
Trader Stats: 0 (0%)
Member No.: 1,056
Mood: Carefree

i would replace the belts, or tensioner, on cold starts my mazda squeals but stops in a few seconds (15 max)

--------------------

"Life without music is a big mistake." - Friedrich Nietzsche
QUOTE (rogerdavis87 @ Sep 28 2008, 09:07 PM) [snapback]259849[/snapback]
eww i can see your geek

+Quote Post
Bobzilla
post Nov 30 2010, 08:16 AM
Post #7 | Print

Proud GLT Owner
Group Icon

^ That would be great Aaron, if I hadn't already done that. Tensioner and belts are about 15k miles and 8 months old.

--------------------

+Quote Post
cobas
post Nov 30 2010, 02:05 PM
Post #8 | Print

Nanomember
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 1.11
Thanks Received: 57
Trader Stats: 2 (100%)
Member No.: 106
Mood: Blah

I just gave a shop the go-ahead to replace both front wheel bearings, again. (they did it over the summer) They said they suspect the larger wheels (with the +40 offset) are the reason both new bearings failed so prematurely. I would've guessed the same thing if I didn't know those wheels have been on there for 6 years and 80,000 miles before the stock bearings wore out - and these wore out in 6 months? Even the -1.0 camber bolts have been there for 30,000mi now, how can these bearings fail in about 10% of that? Anyway they're being reasonable and replacing one (the one they supplied) under warranty, but not the other because I brought my own part (totally not worth it). They'll use OEM bearings instead of aftermarket and I hope those last longer. I'm also having them do the timing and A/C belts, tensioner and water pump for about $490. Not a bad price IMO, but with the $200 bearing, that'll be $700, on top of $400 over the summer, and it won't fix my second gear synchro or noisy strut mounts and the clutch isn't getting younger.

So I hear ya Bob.. I love my car, I know it so well, and there's no exact replacement for this body style I like, but I realize it's getting slowly left behind by new cars with better power, economy, handling, economy and features. If there was ever a time to spend money on a WRX or GTI or MS3 (nevermind, they got ugly)... this is it: after graduation, having a job, no kids. .... :-\

--------------------

Help keep ElantraClub running and free for all Elantra owners: Donate.

+Quote Post
Bobzilla
post Nov 30 2010, 02:11 PM
Post #9 | Print

Proud GLT Owner
Group Icon

My old employer just got their 2 Elantras in today. Cars are SHARP.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 user(s) are reading this topic (1 guests and 0 anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No new Topic has attachmentsThe stay in touch thread
58 elantragt 185,885 29th July 2023 - 02:09 AM
Last post by: natesi
No New Posts The new Elantra GT is on it's way
6 elantragt 128,410 21st June 2017 - 08:11 AM
Last post by: elantraelite
No new Pinned: Topic has attachmentsThe Official EC bike thread!
286 popeye 10,173 29th May 2017 - 11:33 AM
Last post by: elantragt
No New Posts sonata bbk
1 TheOne2043 746 21st April 2017 - 11:30 AM
Last post by: bhorste
No new The Story of My 2000 Elantra
30 wizewun 45,803 26th January 2017 - 07:32 PM
Last post by: popeye

Copyright 2022 The Elantra Club    
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 12:25 AM
Elantra Club is not affiliated in any way with Hyundai Motor America