This is an archived forum community. It's currently closed to new memberships.
ElantraClub - for all generations

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules Overview
4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Comparison: 2003 Elantra GT vs 2011 VW GTI
flcerberus
post Sep 25 2011, 10:17 AM
Post #25 | Print

Berlin Veteran
Group Icon
Group: Lifetimer
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Thanks Received: 37
Trader Stats: 0 (0%)
Member No.: 212
Mood: Bemused

QUOTE (cobas @ Sep 25 2011, 10:28 AM) *
No, 18" "Detroit" style is the only choice for 2011 unfortunately. They look massive, flashy, recommended pressure is 38psi, they give a choppy ride and weigh 29lbs each. I'll seriously consider swapping them. Tire Rack has some 16-17lb Enkei 17's for under $200ea. I wouldn't mind saving 12lbs per corner, 48lbs of rotating mass, and getting a more comfortable ride for my commute.

Yeah that would definitely cut down on brake pad and rotor wear from the TCS

--------------------

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
SWortham
post Sep 25 2011, 12:48 PM
Post #26 | Print

Countersteer forever
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Thanks Received: 11
Member No.: 1,561
Mood: Indescribable

QUOTE (cobas @ Sep 25 2011, 08:28 AM) *
No, 18" "Detroit" style is the only choice for 2011 unfortunately. They look massive, flashy, recommended pressure is 38psi, they give a choppy ride and weigh 29lbs each. I'll seriously consider swapping them. Tire Rack has some 16-17lb Enkei 17's for under $200ea. I wouldn't mind saving 12lbs per corner, 48lbs of rotating mass, and getting a more comfortable ride for my commute.

OK, yeah I'd probably do the same thing. Saving 12lbs per wheel is massive. And the cheaper 17" tires would help offset the cost of the wheels somewhat.

--------------------

+Quote Post
cobas
post Dec 23 2011, 08:00 PM
Post #27 | Print

Nanomember
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 1.11
Thanks Received: 57
Trader Stats: 2 (100%)
Member No.: 106
Mood: Blah

Well, the 17's are sitting in the garage. They're Sport Edition DS6's: 18.6 lbs and $109ea. Not the lightest, but one of the cheapest not-so-heavy wheels, and a lot lighter than the 29lb stock 18's. The next wheel lighter was the Enkei Tuning Fujin at 16.8lbs but $180ea (and ugly, according to Sarah, so...). With winter coming up and the stock Dunlops being one of the worst-rated UHP tires for cold weather traction, I got the 17s with ContiExtremeContact DWS, the same tires I have on the Elantra and like a lot. They're probably the best light-snow all-seasons and I'll drive them happily thu the summer. But I'll probably swap back to the 18's after winter, wear out the Dunlops and sell those heavy stock alloys to someone who cares more about flashiness. I don't see the point of a 29lb wheel. Oh, also I got the windows tinted to 30% like the Elantra had; I like my privacy.

In other news, the GTI's 10k service went without a hitch. The first three (up to 36k) are included in the warranty, which is the least they could do after how much money they got from us for this little car. Of course at 40k they change the fluid in the DSG and charge several fingers and toes, again. Also they "cannot turn off alarm-arm horn beep in this model year." Damn. I could unplug the horn, but then... it'd have no horn, or anti-theft sound. I forgot to mention the small rattle in the passenger door when I play certain bass-heavy songs. Also the SD Card is "not recognized," every few days until it warms up or is re-inserted. Lastly, the nav system is just not as good as a Garmin. It looks great right in the dash, big screen, buttons and all but, for one thing you can zoom in or out from your current location, but there's no pan function at all that I could find.

Otherwise, so far so good pretty much. 10k down in six months with this longer commute. It's pretty much all highway but it's often congested stop-and-go some of the way. I'm a pretty efficient slow-traffic driver, so it's getting averaging 30.0mpg right now, exactly what the Elantra was getting over the summer. I feel the gas tank and range are smaller though, as I find myself needing to stop for gas before the work-week is over. It also prefers premium gas, so it still costs more to drive than the Elantra, but that's totally worth it for 200+hp and 200lb-ft of torque starting at 2,000rpm.

Sarah continues to warm up to the GTI, despite the small trunk. "It's nice to be able to go faster so easily, and it's so quiet too!" (yes.... yes it is...muahahaha). Phase 1 of my grand plan was completed last week when Sarah uttered the words "You know, this could become my car someday if you want to get something else for yourself to commute in".

DEAL!

HAHAHA!! Muaaahahah!! MUAAAHAHAHAHAHA!!

--------------------

Help keep ElantraClub running and free for all Elantra owners: Donate.

+Quote Post
bhorste
post Dec 23 2011, 09:25 PM
Post #28 | Print

Resident Guitar Guru
Group Icon
Group: Leader
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Thanks Received: 437
Trader Stats: 4 (100%)
Member No.: 6,125
Mood: Pensive

Why stop there? Get an Atom Aero V8!

--------------------

-Ben
'03 GT, and a proud Lifetimer
'14 Ford Fiesta SE

http://www.lagerhaus5.com

+Quote Post
cobas
post Dec 23 2011, 10:37 PM
Post #29 | Print

Nanomember
Group Icon

Um.. price, and legality. Ariel's website says Atoms are intended as track-only vehicles, don't have a VIN number, may not be register-able, etc, etc. Caterhams do have a VIN and give broad instructions on the registration procedure. Also Caterhams are like $30k without the engine, cheaper used (although putting it together is half the fun, isn't it?) whereas Ariel Atoms start at $50k assembled.

--------------------

+Quote Post
cobas
post Feb 12 2012, 08:56 AM
Post #30 | Print

Nanomember
Group Icon

This has been one of the warmest winters I've ever seen around here so far. Therefore the new 17's are still sitting in the garage. :\ Might as well keep the 18's until the tires are worn out if it's not going to snow around here.

But the cold days we've had brought out few gremlins in the GTI.

The most annoying is that it won't recognize the SD card for 10-15 minutes after a very cold start. It's not the cheap SD card itself I think, because I've tried warming it up, or keeping it indoors and bringing it with me and it still won't work for 15 minutes. It seems like the stereo has to warm up enough before it'll recognize the SD card. It means I can't listen to the music I want for the first 15 minutes of my commute. And once it does recognize it, it starts from the top of the root folder again, not the playlist I left off at. Not the end of the world, but this is an important comfort feature of the car and it's malfunctioning on a daily basis.

Close behind that on really cold days... the heater takes forever to get hot. I mean 30+ minutes before it gets anywhere past "getting lukewarm." The seat heaters make up for it or it would be very uncomfortable, but I'm looking for TSBs and I might take it in for this. It's just too long to wait. The Elantra's heater is blazing hot in less than 10 minutes. The GTI can't take four times as long!

And lastly, two times now, months apart... the footwell lights flash for a few seconds. At first I thought it was some kind of warning signal (e.g. it has a "speed warning," chime you can set and toggle in the menu) but it's not. There's a few other online complains about this too. It seems to be a random electrical malfunction courtesy of VW. It sounds amusing, but when it starts happening at 70mph in traffic when I'm changing lanes, it really does break my concentration and make me wonder WTF it means. I'm glad it happened to me and not Sarah.

When we bought this, we put a fair bit down and got a shorter loan with the idea of paying it off within a year or so. We did even make a few extra payments early on. But with Sarah not working right now and our rent having gone up, the car payment is taking a big bite from our plan to save for other things, like a house, and we still have about two years of payments left (partly thanks to the Nav/Sunroof and the extended 100k warranty) Just chatting last night, we were like "We should've gotten the Kia (Forte SX 5-door)," because we'd be nearly done paying for it by now. I've thought that before too. But the grass is always greener on the other side. I'd miss having the power, and a manual (I still kinda do), or Sarah couldn't drive it, and the GTI would still be on my mind as something to aspire to later on.

So maybe the lesson is... it takes just a couple of events (like your wife not working anymore, rent going up) to make an expensive purchase go from "brief 1-year splurge after graduating" to "2-3 years of tight budgets and postponed savings/vacations/other plans." That, and.. the grass is always greener on the other side. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
winc
post Feb 12 2012, 11:20 PM
Post #31 | Print

ersherls erbernd
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Thanks Received: 41
Member No.: 3,096
Mood: Perturbed

Have you tried leaving the SD Card in it overnight, so it's at the same temp & humidity as the radio reader? The warm card could be fogging up the cold reader-side.

Also, does the temp guage show it getting to operating temp yet it still puts out cool air, or is it taking that long for the engine to warm up?

--------------------

x

+Quote Post
NevynPA
post Feb 13 2012, 09:01 AM
Post #32 | Print

EClub Live Chat for Life!
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Thanks Received: 126
Member No.: 8,215
Mood: Sick

My guess is that the turbo is stealing the engine heat. I realize it doesn't work that way, but I still would put money on it being somehow related. No real reason why, just a gut feeling.

As far as the lights and the card reader, the only thing I can think to is that new cars have warranties for a reason? 533.gif No real ideas on either of them.

Where is the intercooler mounted on your GTI? You could always try a partial grille block (like trucks do) for winter driving to hold the heat in better, but don't block the intercooler's airflow. That'd probably help.

The other thought is some cars are set with a valve for the coolant to go to the heater core. This is opened/closed depending on the desired temp setting (other cars are always full flow to the core). If this is one of them, you may get heat faster by leaving it turned to medium/cold until the engine temp starts to go up, and then turning it to hot?

I'm shooting in the dark for sure. I'll ask my co-worker how his GTI warms up (he's got an 08 though, I think).

--------------------

ElantraClub - This isn't just a site you visit. It's something you're a part of.

+Quote Post
Red Elantra GT
post Feb 13 2012, 10:04 AM
Post #33 | Print

Post Maniac
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 0.37
Thanks Received: 136
Trader Stats: 1 (100%)
Member No.: 11,366
Mood: Carefree

Hey-it sounds like the thermostat is stuck open, causing the car to take a long time to warm up.

--------------------

A proud member of the club.
2003 Mercedes-Benz SL500
2013 Hyundai Elantra GT

+Quote Post
cobas
post Feb 13 2012, 08:44 PM
Post #34 | Print

Nanomember
Group Icon

Tom, yes that's what I usually do but it doesn't matter what I do with the card. The stereo has to warm up I guess.
Nevyn, yeah my gut feeling was also that the engine/turbo is well insulated to contain the exhaust heat so... err... yeah, it makes no sense. smile.gif The weird thing is sometimes it does eventually get quite hot. But sometimes it doesn't. Maybe there's a flap that's not moving right in the HVAC, like you said. I can try playing with the temperature setting more to see if it moves. Went a short roadtrip yesterday: 90 minutes and the heat never got past "room temperature." Definitely something's wrong. Red Elantra, you'd think so, but the coolant gauge warms up pretty normally (5-10 minutes), just not the heater. sad.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
NevynPA
post Feb 14 2012, 09:32 AM
Post #35 | Print

EClub Live Chat for Life!
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Thanks Received: 126
Member No.: 8,215
Mood: Sick

Based on that update, I'd say you may have some sort of "blend door actuator control malfunction." Is your temp control electronic, or vacuum solenoid driven? In my XD2 if I key on all the way but don't start the car, I can hear the electronic stepper motor or whatever make a little "buzz" with every detent I turn the temp gauge. If you do the same in the GTI, do you hear a little buzz, or a small whoosh (vacuum noise)?

--------------------

ElantraClub - This isn't just a site you visit. It's something you're a part of.

+Quote Post
Bobzilla
post Feb 14 2012, 09:35 AM
Post #36 | Print

Proud GLT Owner
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 3.04
Thanks Received: 633
Trader Stats: 3 (100%)
Member No.: 532
Mood: Hyper

Ah... VAG gremlins. They are there as a reminder to trade/sell it when the warranty is gone.

--------------------

Founding Member of the Indiana Chapter of the Teeny Weeny Club for Secure Adult Males

"Drag racing is for fast cars, and autocrossing is for fast drivers" -Toecutter

+Quote Post
4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 user(s) are reading this topic (1 guests and 0 anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Elantra Sport review
4 elantragt 108,461 21st June 2017 - 05:26 PM
Last post by: elantragt
No New Posts 2003 Elantra GT $500 obo
needs some help, but runs like a champ
2 bhorste 797 3rd March 2017 - 09:59 PM
Last post by: bhorste
No New Posts Elantra GLS 2016 Diesel HID to Xenon