This is an archived forum community. It's currently closed to new memberships.
ElantraClub - for all generations

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules Overview
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> So I have a Scion xB sitting in my garage..., but got a different one
Blupupher
post Nov 6 2012, 10:59 PM
Post #1 | Print

back to basics again
Group Icon
Group: Lifetimer
Posts Per Day: 0.52
Thanks Received: 248
Trader Stats: 1 (100%)
Member No.: 52
Mood: Happy

edit: Ended up getting a new 2012 instead. (see post 12)

My wife has been bugging me (not too bad, but dropping hints) that she wants a new car.
We had looked at the Soul last year and almost got one (long story). We decided to wait a bit and here we are. We have had a few minor issues with her van and I ran into an old friend that works at a Toyota dealer as a finance guy who said he would give me a deal. I was planning on getting something in June, but figured see what kind of deal he can get me.

She said she liked the Soul still, but wanted to look at the xB. They had a used 2011 (2 actually) on the lot so we drove one (a brownish colored one, my wife liked it). It had a few issues (nothing major but they just kept adding up), so I went back and got the other one (a metallic black one).
She really likes it over the Soul, much roomier and drives well, also is a little less road noise.
I'm not really crazy about it. It is not super comfortable (but neither was the Soul). The back seat is really comfortable though, and does have more space in the back than the Soul. I drive my car a lot more, so not a huge issue, as they say, happy wife happy life smile.gif.

They are asking $14,998, which is high IMO for the mileage, but KBB and Edmunds are around that (actually a little more for a Certified vehicle, which it is). I have not talked price yet with my friend, but hopefully they can knock a few hundred off that price and give me $4500 for my van (valued between $4400-4900) and he can get me a great finance (I have a loan approved from my bank for 2.5% right now). If so, I could have it paid off in 3 years.

Anybody have a xB or any real world experience with it? This will be a long term purchase, probably becoming my daughters first vehicle in 6 years. I know Scion is basically a Toyota, and their overall long term reliability is good (but has dropped some lately).

--------------------

"Those who yell the loudest about how unfair the world treated them are usually the reason for the treatment in the first place".
A nurse on a forum I am on
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
RPW00Mirage
post Nov 6 2012, 11:06 PM
Post #2 | Print

That Mitsubishi Guy
Group Icon
Group: Leader
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Thanks Received: 423
Trader Stats: 3 (100%)
Member No.: 11,480
Mood: Complacent

my 09 corolla was a horrible car it had no soul. that being said, it was reliable. the paint was crap, and the sunroof was rusting out, but it ran and drove well. it was also comfortable to sit in.... but it felt really big.

--------------------

2014 Veloster Turbo - racecar

2002 Elantra GLS - DEAD AND GONE DEAD AND GONE

+Quote Post
Vinnie
post Nov 6 2012, 11:35 PM
Post #3 | Print

Elantra Guru
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 0.62
Thanks Received: 558
Trader Stats: 0 (0%)
Member No.: 7,533
Mood: Evil

I wouldn't ever drive a Toyota. While reliable I've seen to many needing work. Reliable shouldn't mean keep throwing parts at it and it'll run for life. My idea of reliable is you go out in a storm, turn the key and the engine starts with no MIL lights.

Warranty wise - hands down soul.

Anyways, the only scion I'd even sit in is the new sporty car they have. The scion reminds me of the GULP nissan cube. nodno.gif nodno.gif

The mileage is high although the price is in line with what it should be.

--------------------

+Quote Post
slowgls
post Nov 6 2012, 11:36 PM
Post #4 | Print

That Guy..
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 1.18
Thanks Received: 724
Trader Stats: 16 (100%)
Member No.: 6,539
Mood: Thankful

Fr-s, That the only scion that should be in your driveway.

--------------------

"This may be true but it is a chrysler sebring which is synonomous with being a p.o.s. car. Personally I gotta say it's getting
really tiring having to clean off the sopping wet panties from my Hyundai Elantra every morning. Bitches love Hyundais."

"Sometimes you wonder how the sperm that made that idiot was the fastest swimmer. . . Must've had a "race motor" in it with nass under the hood. . . " - Alex2013gt

+Quote Post
Vinnie
post Nov 6 2012, 11:37 PM
Post #5 | Print

Elantra Guru
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 0.62
Thanks Received: 558
Member No.: 7,533
Mood: Evil

^^^^

YES thats the one!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Alex2013GT
post Nov 7 2012, 12:41 AM
Post #6 | Print

GT for life!
Group Icon
Group: VIP Members
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Thanks Received: 478
Trader Stats: 2 (100%)
Member No.: 34
Mood: Optimistic

I haven't personally had any dealings with Scion, but my feeling is I wouldn't pay that much for a used car with 30k miles. Right at 30k miles is when a few things could start needing to be replaced (i.e. tires soon, air filters, possibly brakes, etc). Depending on what has been (or not been) done by the dealer you could quickly make up the savings over a new car with parts in the near future. Then you also don't have the new car warranty.

The tade in value on the XB per KBB is 12,300. I would start there assuming that is about what they gave to the customer trading the car in and work up a little. With used car prices staying high, it is much harder getting a good deal on a late model used car. What about a "new" leftover model. With rebates and better financing, not to mention a warranty you might get a better deal that way. Are you completely sold on the XB or are you still considering the Soul?

Now that I look at the pics, I don't like the dash at all. What is with having everything in the middle of the car? To me that would be confusing, especially when dealing with a 16 y/o. One of the reasons I bought the GT, instead of buying my Sonata off lease is because I figure I will pass it down to my son in 6 years when he turns 16. At that point with it being new, the powertrain warranty would still be in effect if there was a problem. Plus the car would be 3 years newer and have 35k less miles on it when I let my son drive it. Since I knew this car would be used for the long haul, I decided to go with the GT and get some of the features I was missing on my Sonata. Just something to keep in mind and part of what went into my thought process.

--------------------

Please consider helping keep the club online and independent. Donate here to help the club.

Current Car: 2013 Hyundai Elantra GT, 6 spd manual w/ the style and tech packages
Previous Hyundai's: 2011 Hyundai Sonata SE in Venetian Red; 2006 Hyundai Sonata GLS, 3.3L V-6 in Ebony Black; 2004 Elantra GT, 5 spd manual in tidal wave blue

+Quote Post
Blupupher
post Nov 7 2012, 09:40 AM
Post #7 | Print

back to basics again
Group Icon

My wife says she does not want the Soul any more. I could not care either way really. There were things I liked about the Soul, and things I did not like. The xB is just kind of "whatever". Nothing really excites me, but nothing really turns me off either.
I thought I would not like the center dash pod (I had initially said no to even looking at it because of that), but after driving it, it really is not too bad.
It takes less time to look down and right a little than to look down further where speedo's normally are, plus the speedo is numeric, so you instantly know, instead of having to find the needle and then find and figure out your speed.

As for warranty, it is a Certified Used, so has a 12 month 12,000 mile bumper to bumper and 7/70 powertrain. If I bought a used Soul, I would have the remainder of the 5/60 bumper to bumper, and that is it. Also, tires are in pretty good shape, not sure about brakes, air filter is new (checked it already) and had an oil change by the dealer when the got it (at least the sticker says it did and oil looks new), plus I get my first oil change free. I know several people with Toyota's and they have not had any issues with them over any other vehicle.

As for price, I was figuring they probably paid ~$12,000 for it, so I was going to use that as part of the bargaining. I know it costs a bit more with the Certified Vehicle check process, but not that much. I figure they may have a total of another $1000 into it (probably more like $500), and want to make a profit, so ~$14,000 is what I was going to start at. If they won't budge, then I will ask for more for my trade. If not, then I will walk.

Like I said, the only reason I am doing this now instead of 6-8 months from now is I ran into this old friend that said he could get me a deal. If I don't get a deal, then I will wait. The problems on the van are not immediately needed fixes and can be put off another 6 months till I am ready again (except for tires, I am needing some soon).

--------------------

"Those who yell the loudest about how unfair the world treated them are usually the reason for the treatment in the first place".

+Quote Post
sarge
post Nov 7 2012, 10:44 AM
Post #8 | Print

CarPuter Masta!
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 1.04
Thanks Received: 130
Trader Stats: 11 (100%)
Member No.: 4,300
Mood: Relaxed

TBH - I haven't read all the replies...

It's not the same car, but pretty darn close. If you take a look through here you could see Winc's thoughts on the xD he picked up back in 08. Though he only put 7000miles on it, had an alignment concern and seatbelt clip issue.
http://www.elantraclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=21153
Personal looks of the xB are mixed... and having not sat in one can't comment further.

--------------------

carPC Build Thread | My Elantra Site | My Fiero Site | My WebSite | Donate here to keep ElantraClub online and growing.

+Quote Post
silet
post Nov 7 2012, 01:45 PM
Post #9 | Print

Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 1.70
Thanks Received: 137
Trader Stats: 14 (100%)
Member No.: 5
Mood: Blah

QUOTE (slowgls @ Nov 6 2012, 11:36 PM) *
Fr-s, That the only scion that should be in your driveway.

And that is a Subaru...

--------------------

05 Tidal Wave GLS 5 spd

+Quote Post
Blupupher
post Nov 7 2012, 02:03 PM
Post #10 | Print

back to basics again
Group Icon

Well, got back from the dealer with my van.

Never got to the point of discussing price. My wife and I sat in the car for 10 minutes deciding what to do. We both felt their was nothing special about this car, and were both worried that in a year or so we would be bored with it.
We just decided to keep the van for a bit longer and then this summer look again. Not sure at what though. The xB is just does not have any wow to it, the Soul is still a possibility, but not likely. My wife said she wanted a Wrangler, but she got in one at the dealer and decided she did not want to be climbing in and out like that all the time. She does not want any car at all, and no larger vehicles (she said she does not want any vehicle that can carry more than 5 people, so no vans or larger SUV's or crossovers) and she does not want a truck. So I have no idea. She kind of likes the Honda Element, but not the door setup on it (and I don't care for Honda). Nissan Cube is just too small and ugly. Not sure what else to look at now, but have a few months till I need to worry about it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
1 members thank Blupupher for this post
Vinnie
Swee's Coupe
post Nov 26 2012, 05:50 PM
Post #11 | Print

Club Regular
Group Icon
Group: Members
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Thanks Received: 0
Member No.: 14,001
Mood: Hostile

QUOTE (silet @ Nov 7 2012, 01:45 PM) *
And that is a Subaru...

The Subaru version is the called the BRZ and baseline comes with more features than the Scion.

I've owned 2 Scions and a Corolla S.
Take a magnet. Check all fenders for bondo. When wrecked, throw the car away and keep the oil. They were designed to be cheap to buy/operate and maintain. And they are.
Neither of mine held their value what-so-ever. For your youngin', great. For your wife.....does she take good care of her toys? Decent on gas (2.4 litre) roomy and TONS of aftermarket companies (Killerglass, Borla, Fujita...etc....).

Just my experienced two cents. Maybe someone could throw in a buck.

--------------------

My last car did a buck ten, the officer gave me a certificate of authenticity to prove it.

+Quote Post
Blupupher
post Dec 28 2012, 10:12 PM
Post #12 | Print

back to basics again
Group Icon

well, just got back with a NEW 2012 xB.

[attachment=4552:2012_12_...__Large_.jpg]

Decided I did not want to mess with the van anymore. I did get some new tires (got a good deal though) and just replaced the front brakes, but the radiator needs to be replaced again and the steering rack is starting to leak. Also had a clunk in the front end (sway bar bushings) and I am getting tired of filling up with 18 gallons of gas every week for my wife.

Sticker was $18,662 and Scion's normally don't get discounts, but got $1000 off that price and $4000 for my trade.

The color is called Army Rock Metallic, but is a kind of tanish with a light hint of green in it. Wife really likes it, so thats what matters. Only "options" were the auto (wife can't drive a stick) the floor mats (wanted) and a rear spoiler (did not want).

--------------------

+Quote Post
2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 user(s) are reading this topic (1 guests and 0 anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts sonata bbk
1 TheOne2043 746 21st April 2017 - 11:30 AM
Last post by: bhorste
No New Posts My 2017 AD Elantra RS (Yes RS) :)-
4 billy4u 65,651 26th January 2017 - 09:16 PM
Last post by: elantragt
No New Posts Somebody convince me I'm crazy
Pondering a rebuild