This is an archived forum community. It's currently closed to new memberships.
ElantraClub - for all generations

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules Overview
4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Comparison: 2003 Elantra GT vs 2011 VW GTI
cobas
post Aug 27 2011, 01:39 PM
Post #13 | Print

Nanomember
Group Icon
Group: Lifetimer
Posts Per Day: 1.11
Thanks Received: 57
Trader Stats: 2 (100%)
Member No.: 106
Mood: Blah

It's looking more and more expensive the less that Sarah drives it. We chose that car over something like a Forte SX because it had more power and the DSG transmission that should keep both Sarah and me happy. I"m finding I'm not a huge fan of the DSG, and Sarah's driven the car like two days. I think she just wanted the ability to drive it for peace of mind, but I'm the one taking it to work, not her. I do enjoy the power and interior amenities of the GTI but I think if I get some used 200hp manual RWD car... the GTI would spend a lot of time in the garage. :\

--------------------

Help keep ElantraClub running and free for all Elantra owners: Donate.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
NevynPA
post Aug 28 2011, 03:29 PM
Post #14 | Print

EClub Live Chat for Life!
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Thanks Received: 126
Member No.: 8,215
Mood: Sick

Used 200 HP RWD car?

Miata Is Always The Answer.

--------------------

ElantraClub - This isn't just a site you visit. It's something you're a part of.

+Quote Post
cobas
post Aug 29 2011, 07:17 PM
Post #15 | Print

Nanomember
Group Icon

I still want to say 2-seat coupes are not my style... since we have the GTI now we don't really need another 4-door 5-seat car. This is true, I could get a Miata. ...but man I like sport sedans. That ride in my mechanic's M3 was mind-blowing.

--------------------

+Quote Post
NevynPA
post Aug 30 2011, 09:19 AM
Post #16 | Print

Group Icon

I'm not a fan of the Miata myself - convertibles don't do it for me. I just find the acrostic to be amusing. Sports sedans are often pretty slick in my book, but I'm more for the 2+2 'coupe-hatch' type cars.

There's only been a bajillion different designs in the last 20-30 years...you'd THINK we would all be able to find a car with a body shape each of us love...

--------------------

ElantraClub - This isn't just a site you visit. It's something you're a part of.

+Quote Post
flcerberus
post Aug 30 2011, 09:53 PM
Post #17 | Print

Berlin Veteran
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Thanks Received: 37
Trader Stats: 0 (0%)
Member No.: 212
Mood: Bemused

I haven't owned a GTI in a long time but the things you state in your posts make me appreciate my Elantra a lot more. It seems to me that with the mods I have made to it that I always judged it against my heavily modded 86 GTI which I owned for 10 years and 286,000 miles. With the short shift kit, Tibby sway bar, front & rear strut tower braces, CAI and exhaust it rides and drives pretty close to how my GTI did with a couple of noticeable exceptions. Driver positioning and visibility in the Elantra is no where near what it was in the VW. I have gotten comfortable in the Elantra but I don't wear it like a comfortable jacket the way I did with the VW and the feedback through the wheel is not there as much probably due to it having power steering which the GTI did not. I have driven the new GTI with both the DSG and Manual and if owning one meant I had to give up my Elantra GT with the manual and get a DSG I would keep my Elantra. The DSG was fun to play with but I know I would find myself wanting if I were to compromise. I have the Elantra where I want it to be with a decent balance of handling, power and brakes that allow me to have fun surprising people in the spirit of the "Wolf in Sheep's clothing mantra of the original GTI. It may not have won a lot of drag races, but put it on a twisty road in capable hands and it could outrun a lot of so called performance cars of the day with out breaking a sweat. I am thinking the new Veloster Turbo will be a lot closer to that formula.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Silentwolf
post Aug 30 2011, 11:59 PM
Post #18 | Print

2006 GLS Hatch
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 1.02
Thanks Received: 87
Trader Stats: 3 (100%)
Member No.: 2,051
Mood: Accomplished

With my mate having a 01 Miata, i do understand more about the number steering in the Elantra, but the Buick and Crown Vic have tons more numbness!

Secondly, its nice driving a lighter weight car with a better tuned i4. Where the Elantra lugs down low due to low torque start, the Miata is smoother.

So if the Veloster is tuned right, the weight and power should be great esp with the 1.6t.

--------------------

Hunter: An 06 5-Door GLS w/ items now too numerous to mention here. Check them out in my garage!

+Quote Post
popeye
post Aug 31 2011, 09:37 AM
Post #19 | Print

Idiot Savant
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 1.41
Thanks Received: 256
Trader Stats: 4 (100%)
Member No.: 1,406
Mood: Uncertain

QUOTE (NevynPA @ Aug 24 2011, 06:34 AM) *
What are you telling it? "Bring us a shrubbery?" I doubt that's going to work.

tongue.gif cool.gif wink.gif

--------------------

To Helena Handbasket!

+Quote Post
NevynPA
post Aug 31 2011, 11:51 AM
Post #20 | Print

Group Icon

Thanks, Popeye. I was hoping someone would get it! NOOOOO! I said the word! biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
cobas
post Aug 31 2011, 07:32 PM
Post #21 | Print

Nanomember
Group Icon

Sarah drove it the last two days, finally. Today she called me to ask how to turn the music off without shutting down the nav system... I didn't know. I've had that problem too actually; can't figure how to mute the music and keep the turn-by-turn directions because "off" shuts the whole thing off. Bah.

Two days driving the GTI and I miss the immediacy and responsiveness (and smooth ride) of the Elantra. Two days in the Elantra and I miss the effortless power of the GTI and the exhaust growl. Today I had a headache and wasn't in a great mood for 45-minutes of stop-and-go traffic with a manual and a short shifter. Bah. Also my Elantra smells like ass after the autocross. The cargo liner, cargo cover and driver's floormat got a bit wet sitting in the rain and they're just stinking up the car..cough cough cough. That reminds me to take them out right now...

--------------------

+Quote Post
cobas
post Sep 24 2011, 10:51 AM
Post #22 | Print

Nanomember
Group Icon

First roadtrip into some twisty mountain roads and the GTI was more in its element. Even Sarah was enjoying driving for once. The DSG normally engine-brakes a bit, but usually it coasts in 6th or 5th anyway. Not so on hilly roads. Not sure how it figures it out, but it'll hold 4th or even 3rd and give you quite a bit of engine braking on hills. Even Sarah was enjoying her turn: "I'm not even braking - what a smart little car," and after driving the GTI a few days, going back to her 1.8L N/A Sentra is a bit of a shock. It's so much louder and still slower. There's a bit of exhaust drone but VW is otherwise quiet even when passing or cruising at 80.

I'm curious how it would do in an autocross, but I don't want to ruin my 18" tires. Getting to the point where I see the traction control flashing once or twice a day coming out of familiar corners... and it's always in "Manual." "D" just doesn't quite know what to do...

--------------------

+Quote Post
SWortham
post Sep 24 2011, 02:04 PM
Post #23 | Print

Countersteer forever
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Thanks Received: 11
Trader Stats: 0 (0%)
Member No.: 1,561
Mood: Indescribable

Sounds like fun. Now that I live near mountains I get to enjoy twisty roads like that every now and then.

I understand the bit about the Elantra being more comfortable than the GTI. But I bet the GTI is a lot more comfortable than my car. And the Golf always seems to get a lot of praise for its quiet cabin.

I have a question though. Is the GTI available with 17" wheels? Or is 18" the only option?

--------------------

+Quote Post
cobas
post Sep 25 2011, 09:28 AM
Post #24 | Print

Nanomember
Group Icon

No, 18" "Detroit" style is the only choice for 2011 unfortunately. They look massive, flashy, recommended pressure is 38psi, they give a choppy ride and weigh 29lbs each. I'll seriously consider swapping them. Tire Rack has some 16-17lb Enkei 17's for under $200ea. I wouldn't mind saving 12lbs per corner, 48lbs of rotating mass, and getting a more comfortable ride for my commute.

--------------------

+Quote Post
4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 user(s) are reading this topic (1 guests and 0 anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Elantra Sport review
4 elantragt 110,103 21st June 2017 - 05:26 PM
Last post by: elantragt
No New Posts 2003 Elantra GT $500 obo
needs some help, but runs like a champ
2 bhorste 798 3rd March 2017 - 09:59 PM
Last post by: bhorste
No New Posts Elantra GLS 2016 Diesel HID to Xenon