This is an archived forum community. It's currently closed to new memberships.
ElantraClub - for all generations

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules Overview
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Slow needs your help Bob!
slowgls
post Jul 27 2009, 07:13 PM
Post #1 | Print

That Guy..
Group Icon
Group: Leader
Posts Per Day: 1.18
Thanks Received: 724
Trader Stats: 16 (100%)
Member No.: 6,539
Mood: Thankful

Ok so i hit the track again on Sunday.It was fun but a had a issue with the car i hope you can help me with.When i am in a slalom it fells like my power steering goes out.The fluid was replaced and the belt was adjusted correctly.Do you think that the pump cant keep up with how fast i am steering,or do i need a underdrive pulley so it can keep up?If that is the issue would it put me out of Hs?Its not a big deal if it dose.
I had some one take a in car vid of one of my runs, i will post a link when he gets it up.
Thanks

--------------------

"This may be true but it is a chrysler sebring which is synonomous with being a p.o.s. car. Personally I gotta say it's getting
really tiring having to clean off the sopping wet panties from my Hyundai Elantra every morning. Bitches love Hyundais."

"Sometimes you wonder how the sperm that made that idiot was the fastest swimmer. . . Must've had a "race motor" in it with nass under the hood. . . " - Alex2013gt
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ricerrx7
post Jul 27 2009, 07:54 PM
Post #2 | Print

Automotive Technician
Group Icon
Group: Lifetimer
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Thanks Received: 8
Trader Stats: 0 (0%)
Member No.: 247
Mood: Blah

Several people have reported this issue, though I cannot remember if there was a cure or not. But just out of curiosity, how would underdriving (turning it slower) the power steering pump help it keep up with demands?

--------------------

QUOTE (doc1987 @ Aug 29 2007, 02:33 PM)
call me a perfectsiotist but i...

+Quote Post
slowgls
post Jul 27 2009, 08:19 PM
Post #3 | Print

That Guy..
Group Icon
Group: Leader
Posts Per Day: 1.18
Thanks Received: 724
Trader Stats: 16 (100%)
Member No.: 6,539

QUOTE (ricerrx7 @ Jul 27 2009, 07:54 PM) *
But just out of curiosity, how would underdriving (turning it slower) the power steering pump help it keep up with demands?

Yea i guess your right that wouldn't help, but would a smaller pulley turning faster help?That is what i meant.So than it would be called a overdrive pulley?

--------------------

"This may be true but it is a chrysler sebring which is synonomous with being a p.o.s. car. Personally I gotta say it's getting
really tiring having to clean off the sopping wet panties from my Hyundai Elantra every morning. Bitches love Hyundais."

"Sometimes you wonder how the sperm that made that idiot was the fastest swimmer. . . Must've had a "race motor" in it with nass under the hood. . . " - Alex2013gt

+Quote Post
cclngthr
post Jul 27 2009, 09:10 PM
Post #4 | Print

The teach
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 0.97
Thanks Received: 0
Member No.: 426
Mood: Calm

QUOTE (slowgls @ Jul 27 2009, 05:13 PM) *
Ok so i hit the track again on Sunday.It was fun but a had a issue with the car i hope you can help me with.When i am in a slalom it fells like my power steering goes out.The fluid was replaced and the belt was adjusted correctly.Do you think that the pump cant keep up with how fast i am steering,or do i need a underdrive pulley so it can keep up?If that is the issue would it put me out of Hs?Its not a big deal if it dose.
I had some one take a in car vid of one of my runs, i will post a link when he gets it up.
Thanks

These steering systems use a variable assist mechanism in the power steering that is vehicle speed sensitive. Under some conditions, when you are whipping the wheel into corners quickly, it feels like the power assist is not keeping up with the demand. Under normal driving, it is OK because you are not turning the wheel quickly. In racing, you are putting the demand against the power assist and it can't keep up with it.

--------------------

"Childhood is measured by sounds and smells and sights before the dark hour of reason grows"
John Betjeman

+Quote Post
02elantragt
post Jul 27 2009, 10:01 PM
Post #5 | Print

car enthusiast
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Thanks Received: 1
Member No.: 6,966
Mood: Crotchety

Would there be a fix for that?

--------------------

A proud lifetime member of the greatest club!

Check out my: Garage
2nd place winner in 2009 and 2010 detailing contest!!

+Quote Post
cclngthr
post Jul 28 2009, 12:34 AM
Post #6 | Print

The teach
Group Icon

QUOTE (02elantragt @ Jul 27 2009, 08:01 PM) *
Would there be a fix for that?

No. The design of the power steering system is such that on slower speeds, the power assist is more, but when higher speeds are present, less assist is there because normally it would not be needed. In a race, you have higher speeds, but turning is more frequent and more sharp, which more assist would be needed. The system won't allow that to happen. My XD did the same thing.

--------------------

"Childhood is measured by sounds and smells and sights before the dark hour of reason grows"
John Betjeman

+Quote Post
bikedad
post Jul 28 2009, 12:02 PM
Post #7 | Print

Trek Rider
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Thanks Received: 4
Trader Stats: 1 (100%)
Member No.: 444

Hey Slo,
Is this you on StreetFire?

Slogls run

Was just perusing the video's and saw this in the recent downloads.

--------------------

http://www.bikedad.com | BIBLE: Basic Instruction Before Leaving Earth
"God does not exist" -- Karl Marx | "Karl Marx does not exist" -- God

+Quote Post
Bobzilla
post Jul 28 2009, 12:54 PM
Post #8 | Print

Proud GLT Owner
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 3.04
Thanks Received: 633
Trader Stats: 3 (100%)
Member No.: 532
Mood: Hyper

There is a fix... sorta. Flush the system, and use synthetic fluid. It helps. HAd I kept the car on the track a P/S cooler would have been my next investment. On hot Days at Grissom, I'd physically boil p/s fluid. When I drained/filled with Synth P/S fluids 90% of my problem disappeared.

QUOTE (cclngthr @ Jul 28 2009, 01:34 AM) *
No. The design of the power steering system is such that on slower speeds, the power assist is more, but when higher speeds are present, less assist is there because normally it would not be needed. In a race, you have higher speeds, but turning is more frequent and more sharp, which more assist would be needed. The system won't allow that to happen. My XD did the same thing.

Auto-x rearely exceeds 50mph. So your theory is invalid. nOT TO MENTION the XD does not have a speed sensitive p/s system. The problem lies in the extended higher rpms and fast transitions requiring lots of turning. This boils the fluid creating a loss of power.

Sorry I took so long to answer. I missed this thread the first time. I hate that you got fed misinformation again.

BTW, this problem gets MUCH worse when you start getting a good alignment and large (think 225 width) sticky tires under the car. You;re generating more grip, and causing more effort to turn.

--------------------

Founding Member of the Indiana Chapter of the Teeny Weeny Club for Secure Adult Males

"Drag racing is for fast cars, and autocrossing is for fast drivers" -Toecutter

+Quote Post
cclngthr
post Jul 28 2009, 01:01 PM
Post #9 | Print

The teach
Group Icon

QUOTE (Bobzilla @ Jul 28 2009, 10:52 AM) *
Auto-x rearely exceeds 50mph. So your theory is invalid. nOT TO MENTION the XD does not have a speed sensitive p/s system. The problem lies in the extended higher rpms and fast transitions requiring lots of turning. This boils the fluid creating a loss of power.

Remember Anton's issue with his steering system? If you remember right, the problem was due to the variable assist in the system not allowing fluid to lubricate the system right at higher speeds. The XD has that feature where on higher speeds, it won't assist as much because normally it is not needed. If it did not have that, the steering would be so sensitive, it would be dangerous.

--------------------

John Betjeman

+Quote Post
Bobzilla
post Jul 28 2009, 01:15 PM
Post #10 | Print

Proud GLT Owner
Group Icon

Is this Anton? Is this a problem on the street? No. So sit back, learn a little and get off your high horse. The problem with the P/S pump in the elantra's is heat related when it comes to the auto-x course. Sustained high(er) rpms and massive amount of wheel input combined with grippy surface overheats the fluid. Mine would physically boil out of the resevoir.

Oh... and I've had the P/S system apart lookingfor this sensor input/valve thing. It doesn't exist.

--------------------

Founding Member of the Indiana Chapter of the Teeny Weeny Club for Secure Adult Males

+Quote Post
sarge
post Jul 28 2009, 01:24 PM
Post #11 | Print

CarPuter Masta!
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 1.04
Thanks Received: 130
Trader Stats: 11 (100%)
Member No.: 4,300
Mood: Relaxed

This is why I'm going to like when I get the Fiero prepped for more race/auto-x driving - no power steering

it's a fully mechanical system right? The new Elantras are electronic right?

--------------------

carPC Build Thread | My Elantra Site | My Fiero Site | My WebSite | Donate here to keep ElantraClub online and growing.

+Quote Post
Bobzilla
post Jul 28 2009, 01:32 PM
Post #12 | Print

Proud GLT Owner
Group Icon

HD's are electric pump assist. XD's are hydraulic. Your fiero, like my swift, is a direct connect rack with no power assist. Usually a little slower ratio, but nice to not have the extra weight/problems.

--------------------

+Quote Post
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 user(s) are reading this topic (1 guests and 0 anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Help me to not screw this up
Head gasket replacement
2 The Gegenator 959 17th May 2017 - 07:35 AM
Last post by: avisitor
No New Posts Help please! 2012 elantra engine fail @63k
need help with warranty and any info
8 paparon 2,068 29th December 2016 - 11:22 PM
Last post by: ulieqy