This is an archived forum community. It's currently closed to new memberships.
ElantraClub - for all generations

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Looking for input, Yes another fuel thread
Alex2013GT
post Nov 5 2014, 12:07 AM
Post #1 | Print

GT for life!
Group Icon
Group: VIP Members
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Thanks Received: 478
Trader Stats: 2 (100%)
Member No.: 34
Mood: Optimistic

So I've had the GT for over 2 years and have put about 40k miles on her thus far. When I first got her it was rare to ever get a tank under 30 MPG's and when I mixed in a long highway trip it was more in the mid 30's and even got in the upper 30's occasionally.

So earlier this year I decided to switch out the stock wheels and tires after hitting a pot hole (see here). I put on 17x7.5" Konig Crown wheels and 225/45/17 Kumho Ecsta 4X tires. I've been very happy with the increased performance and looks, but ran into a somewhat unexpected result. My fuel efficiency has dropped considerably.

With slightly wider wheels and stickier tires I guess I expected a slight drop, but the wheels are lighter so I assumed there wouldn't be too much. Well, on my normal commute my average has dropped to 27-28MPG's. On longer highway trips I barely get over 30 MPG's now.

So is it the slightly wider tires combined with a stickier tread that is giving me a good 15% drop in fuel efficiency? Does that sound reasonable? I still love the wheels and tires, but am just surprised at the considerable drop I am noticing.

As an FYI, my commute/driving habits haven't changed and I've given it an extended period to make sure my sample size wasn't too small. At this point, looks like it is what it is, but just curious to get others input.

I've also taken a few trips up to PA both before switching and after switching the wheels. Before I got about 36 MPG, and after I couldn't even get 30 MPG's on some tanks.

--------------------

Please consider helping keep the club online and independent. Donate here to help the club.

Current Car: 2013 Hyundai Elantra GT, 6 spd manual w/ the style and tech packages
Previous Hyundai's: 2011 Hyundai Sonata SE in Venetian Red; 2006 Hyundai Sonata GLS, 3.3L V-6 in Ebony Black; 2004 Elantra GT, 5 spd manual in tidal wave blue
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
elantragt
post Nov 5 2014, 06:00 AM
Post #2 | Print

Club Founder
Group Icon
Group: Admin
Posts Per Day: 3.04
Thanks Received: 2809
Trader Stats: 16 (100%)
Member No.: 1
Mood: Okay

It's possible the tires (stickier, less rolling resistance) are part of the drop. Those tires do have a slightly larger diameter (+.35") than stock so your speedometer will read slightly lower than stock. Are you using the trip computer to calculate MPG numbers?

Have you tried pumping a little more air in the tires? Colder weather/winter gas blend can lower your numbers.

Last but not least, cars I've owned seem to get lower MPG as they age ... could just be me, though. laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
VIG
post Nov 5 2014, 07:58 AM
Post #3 | Print

F.K.A. fsv87
Group Icon
Group: Members
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Thanks Received: 189
Trader Stats: 0 (0%)
Member No.: 5,380
Mood: Obnoxious

I've noticed this in the Mustang also. Once I put the 255s all the way around my mpg dropped from mid 20's to high teens.

This post has been edited by VIG: Nov 5 2014, 08:00 AM

--------------------

Let me be Frank with you.

If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.
R.I.P. 2001 Elantra

+Quote Post
Bobzilla
post Nov 5 2014, 09:44 AM
Post #4 | Print

Proud GLT Owner
Group Icon
Group: Lifetimer
Thanks Received: 633
Trader Stats: 3 (100%)
Member No.: 532
Mood: Hyper

I ran into the same issue with the 4X. That and they chop and destroy themselves in about 30k miles. I went from the OE 215/45/17 GY RS-A's to the 225/45/17 4X. They were great for about 15k miles but the mileage was definitely lower. After that, they got louder and louder. At 34k miles they were at 2-3/32's of tread and were deafening.

Recently swiched to the PA31's in 205/50/17, they're REALLY quiet, much better in the rain (and hopefully snow, the 4X were horrific at best) and I picked up the 1-2mpg I'd lost.

--------------------

Founding Member of the Indiana Chapter of the Teeny Weeny Club for Secure Adult Males

"Drag racing is for fast cars, and autocrossing is for fast drivers" -Toecutter

+Quote Post
Alex2013GT
post Nov 5 2014, 02:41 PM
Post #5 | Print

GT for life!
Group Icon
Group: VIP Members
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Thanks Received: 478
Trader Stats: 2 (100%)
Member No.: 34
Mood: Optimistic

Ahh I'll be curious to see how long these last then. Unfortunately I didn't have as much time to do research as I would've liked since I needed to replace the flat tire ASAP. So maybe once I replace these I'll pick back up some of what I lost which which would be nice!

Mitch, yes I did start keeping the tires at a higher PSI which has helped a little (currently at 35 PSI). And these are all hand calculated numbers.

This has been something on my mind for a while, just finally got around to posting about it. Next time I purchase tires I will definitely be checking in here first and doing some more detailed research.

--------------------

Please consider helping keep the club online and independent. Donate here to help the club.

Current Car: 2013 Hyundai Elantra GT, 6 spd manual w/ the style and tech packages
Previous Hyundai's: 2011 Hyundai Sonata SE in Venetian Red; 2006 Hyundai Sonata GLS, 3.3L V-6 in Ebony Black; 2004 Elantra GT, 5 spd manual in tidal wave blue

+Quote Post
Bobzilla
post Nov 5 2014, 02:44 PM
Post #6 | Print

Proud GLT Owner
Group Icon
Group: Lifetimer
Thanks Received: 633
Trader Stats: 3 (100%)
Member No.: 532
Mood: Hyper

The best wear/economy I got with the Forte (2880lbs) was 37 frt, 36 rear. Anything over that was starting to wear the centers too much.

--------------------

Founding Member of the Indiana Chapter of the Teeny Weeny Club for Secure Adult Males

"Drag racing is for fast cars, and autocrossing is for fast drivers" -Toecutter

+Quote Post
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 user(s) are reading this topic (1 guests and 0 anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Looking for some advice
0 danciucci 11,633 1st July 2017 - 10:44 AM
Last post by: danciucci
No New Posts looking from facts from experience on exhaust.
2007 Exhaust flex pipe replacement
2 pitpndlm 682 6th April 2017 - 09:23 AM
Last post by: 2000J25SP
No New Posts For Sale: Ksport Coilover kit
13 Bobzilla 2,100 24th December 2016 - 11:26 AM
Last post by: slowgls
No New Posts Topic has attachmentsLooking for volunteer to install Elantra A.D. rear diffuser
1 poweraxel 9,920 21st September 2016 - 11:07 AM
Last post by: billy4u
No New Posts Looking for a 2012 Elantra Sedan OEM rear bumper cover
Buying Rear bumper cover 2012 Elantra
1 mumjud 805 22nd January 2016 - 07:39 AM
Last post by: RPW00Mirage

Copyright 2022 The Elantra Club    
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:03 AM
Elantra Club is not affiliated in any way with Hyundai Motor America