This is an archived forum community. It's currently closed to new memberships.
ElantraClub - for all generations

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Overview

This forum is now a read only archive. Please use our Garage to update you car's information and pictures.

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Vehicle: 2012 Elantra Limited
The Gegenator
post Mar 20 2012, 04:38 PM
Post #13 | Print

'04 Black GT Sedan
Group Icon
Group: Lifetimer
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Thanks Received: 198
Trader Stats: 6 (100%)
Member No.: 1,092
Mood: Romantic

Great looking car!

--------------------

Music Teacher/Geek for life!!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
IHeartMyRedCar
post Apr 3 2012, 02:17 PM
Post #14 | Print

Power Poster
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Thanks Received: 59
Trader Stats: 0 (0%)
Member No.: 6,037
Mood: Bouncy

Window tint has been put on! It's dark and I love it!
20% on the sides / 5% + an additional 20% on the rear window.
The additional 20% was added because this guys tint at 5% I felt was not as dark as my 08's was.

--------------------

"You drive an elantra, I drive an elantra. Let's mate......I mean date!"

+Quote Post
1 members thank IHeartMyRedCar for this post
Vinnie
benman
post Apr 3 2012, 03:01 PM
Post #15 | Print

Post Maniac
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Thanks Received: 268
Trader Stats: 1 (100%)
Member No.: 10,696
Mood: Numb

QUOTE (IHeartMyRedCar @ Apr 3 2012, 03:17 PM) *
Window tint has been put on! It's dark and I love it!
20% on the sides / 5% + an additional 20% on the rear window.
The additional 20% was added because this guys tint at 5% I felt was not as dark as my 08's was.

Didn't notice before that you lived in PA. I'm going to tint -- I've been worried about it since I've heard horror stories about cops pulling people over for it and having to remove it. I was planning on 35 on the sides and 20 on the back. You've obviously gone way beyond that -- especially on the rear. You've not had any problems?

--------------------

A proud member of the club.

+Quote Post
IHeartMyRedCar
post Apr 3 2012, 04:58 PM
Post #16 | Print

Power Poster
Group Icon

QUOTE (benman @ Apr 3 2012, 04:01 PM) *
Didn't notice before that you lived in PA. I'm going to tint -- I've been worried about it since I've heard horror stories about cops pulling people over for it and having to remove it. I was planning on 35 on the sides and 20 on the back. You've obviously gone way beyond that -- especially on the rear. You've not had any problems?

During the school year I live in Vermont. I am from PA so I am back home for holidays and the summer. On my 08, I had 5% on the rear window and 35% on the sides. 35% on the sides is barely anything. You can have whatever tint you want on the rear window. I like the rear window dark for several reasons: 1) At night, you don't have to worry about being blinded by trucks or idiots with their high beams on, 2) Since less light is getting in the car from the rear window alone, it makes the back side window tint look much darker which is very nice. I have been pulled over 5 times in PA. No points, no tickets, and no tickets for tint. smile.gif Tint is a second offense in PA and VT. You have to give them as reason to pull you over in order to get a ticket for tint. I have only had one cop question be about tint. I told the cop the sides were 35% and she said they looked darker. I said that's because of the rear window is dark and it was a cloudy day. She gave me a verbal warning for my speeding and never mentioned the tint again. The only thing that sucks about the rear window being so dark at night is that you can'r see a thing when you back up at night so you better be good with your side mirrors and know your surroundings.

--------------------

+Quote Post
benman
post Apr 3 2012, 07:54 PM
Post #17 | Print

Post Maniac
Group Icon

QUOTE (IHeartMyRedCar @ Apr 3 2012, 05:58 PM) *
During the school year I live in Vermont. I am from PA so I am back home for holidays and the summer. On my 08, I had 5% on the rear window and 35% on the sides. 35% on the sides is barely anything. You can have whatever tint you want on the rear window. I like the rear window dark for several reasons: 1) At night, you don't have to worry about being blinded by trucks or idiots with their high beams on, 2) Since less light is getting in the car from the rear window alone, it makes the back side window tint look much darker which is very nice. I have been pulled over 5 times in PA. No points, no tickets, and no tickets for tint. smile.gif Tint is a second offense in PA and VT. You have to give them as reason to pull you over in order to get a ticket for tint. I have only had one cop question be about tint. I told the cop the sides were 35% and she said they looked darker. I said that's because of the rear window is dark and it was a cloudy day. She gave me a verbal warning for my speeding and never mentioned the tint again. The only thing that sucks about the rear window being so dark at night is that you can'r see a thing when you back up at night so you better be good with your side mirrors and know your surroundings.

Right--it's a secondary offense for a ticket, but they can pull you over if they can't see into the car. Like the guy at the shop said, if you're driving through the business district at noon, no one's going to bother you, but if you're driving through questionable areas of the city at 1:00 AM, you may very well be pulled over for the cop to look inside. The way it's all enforced makes me cringe.

--------------------

+Quote Post
IHeartMyRedCar
post Apr 3 2012, 10:12 PM
Post #18 | Print

Power Poster
Group Icon

QUOTE (benman @ Apr 3 2012, 08:54 PM) *
Right--it's a secondary offense for a ticket, but they can pull you over if they can't see into the car. Like the guy at the shop said, if you're driving through the business district at noon, no one's going to bother you, but if you're driving through questionable areas of the city at 1:00 AM, you may very well be pulled over for the cop to look inside. The way it's all enforced makes me cringe.

Yeah the one time I did get questioned about my tint, it was really cloudy so the car appeared darker. I even had the sunroof open and both front side windows down before the officer got to my car to let more light in. I live out in the country. I can't stand cities. So that's a plus when it comes to tint.

The issue with the law in PA is the fact that it has been up for debate for a long time. It has been bouncing back in forth between no tint below 70% is allowed or not being able to see into the car from the windshield, side wing, or side windows. It states nothing about the rear window. The rear window can be whatever your heart desires. This is the current law:

"This is the actual LAW passed by the PA Legislators in response to the will of the people. If an officer cites you, this is the law that he will probably accuse you of violating!

TITLE 75 Section 4524 (e)(1) of the Pennsylvania Common Statutes states that

(1) No person shall drive any motor vehicle with any sun screening device or other material which does not permit a person to see or view the inside of the vehicle through the windshield, side wing or side window of the vehicle"

The problem with this law is that it is up to the officer. Which means (in my opinion) that this law is open to interpretation. No law should be able to be interpreted. It should be start forward and not an opinion.

I ran across this though. Apparently there are tint rules hidden within the yearly inspection that I was not aware of. There are talks about percentage on the rear window here. There are so many holes and the tint laws are open to interpretation I don't see how they can legally in force any tint laws in PA. My 08 was inspected 3 times, once by the dealership and the other 2 times by my friends shop and no one ever said anything about my tint. I went darker this time on the sides so I will see what happens next January when I have to get my 2012 inspected for the first time.

--------------------

+Quote Post
silvergls
post Apr 4 2012, 01:00 AM
Post #19 | Print

Power Poster
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Thanks Received: 78
Member No.: 9,622
Mood: Accomplished

Nice car and pics! takepicture.gif thumbsup.gif

--------------------

2011 ELANTRA GLS Radiant Silver
KDM Spoiler, Rear Diffuser, KYB Shocks, Reverse Park Assist Sensors, Body Side Moldings, Tints, Infinity Door Speakers, Kenwood Subwoofer, Vinyls, LEDs for Interior, Glovebox & Trunk

1998 DODGE NEON R/T

+Quote Post
songee623
post Apr 4 2012, 01:18 AM
Post #20 | Print

Club Regular
Group Icon
Group: Members
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Thanks Received: 13
Member No.: 4,481
Mood: Accomplished

tint looks good!

--------------------

+Quote Post
benman
post Apr 4 2012, 02:00 AM
Post #21 | Print

Post Maniac
Group Icon

Yes, some guy runs a website devoted to PA tint law. Most of it is spelled out in safety bulletins and memos rather than actual law.

So now you've got me thinking about 20 on sides and 5 in the back. I drive in the "city" just at one end of my commute. I've seen plenty of tinted cars, so I think I just need to get over my worry and do it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
sarge
post Apr 4 2012, 05:59 AM
Post #22 | Print

CarPuter Masta!
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 1.04
Thanks Received: 130
Trader Stats: 11 (100%)
Member No.: 4,300
Mood: Relaxed

^Do Iitt!!

Your MD/UD looks great!! Though, so did your HD.

--------------------

carPC Build Thread | My Elantra Site | My Fiero Site | My WebSite | Donate here to keep ElantraClub online and growing.

+Quote Post
IHeartMyRedCar
post Apr 4 2012, 08:44 AM
Post #23 | Print

Power Poster
Group Icon

QUOTE (benman @ Apr 4 2012, 03:00 AM) *
Yes, some guy runs a website devoted to PA tint law. Most of it is spelled out in safety bulletins and memos rather than actual law.

So now you've got me thinking about 20 on sides and 5 in the back. I drive in the "city" just at one end of my commute. I've seen plenty of tinted cars, so I think I just need to get over my worry and do it.

That's what I have now. 20% on the sides and 5% on the back. I had 35% on the sides and 5% in the rear on my HD. The only thing that I didn't like with the 35% on the front side windows was that it was only slightly tinted. It didn't hide anything. That's why I went with 20%.

I can't wait for May so I can put my Drag 31's on and my brand new Pirelli tires. They will really make my MD stand out. Too bad my rims are in PA and I'm in VT otherwise it would already be done. Plus I need to sit down and figure out my HID's but that's a whole separate issue.

--------------------

+Quote Post
dirtydave
post Apr 4 2012, 08:04 PM
Post #24 | Print

Power Poster
Group Icon
Thanks Received: 21
Member No.: 11,684
Mood: Exhausted

QUOTE (IHeartMyRedCar @ Mar 7 2012, 03:05 PM) *
-The Speed sensitive volume control is always turned on but yet to this day, I have yet to hear a volume increase during acceleration.

So, I know this is an 'older' post, but I investigated this tonight. It seems that the speed adaptive volume is kind of a logarithmic scale of change. If your volume is low (between 5 and 10) it will turn up more as you go faster, if the volume is higher (above 20) it will have very little effect at higher speeds. It seems that the volume kicks in at around 45 quite a bit stronger. This is a boost, rather than being a suppressed at low speed/regular volume at high speed thing. The easiest way to test it out is to open the 'sound' panel and toggle between the volumes. Sometimes I feel like I'm TRYING to hear the difference, but I legitimately heard a difference tonight. I do agree though that the sound system is 'weak' and could use more power and volume...perhaps there's a way to hack it to go to volume 50, 35 is such an oddball number anyway

--------------------

Warning: Dates in the Calendar are closer than they appear.
Owner of 1 Share of the Green Bay Packers
Hawkeye Football Fan for LIFE

+Quote Post
3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 user(s) are reading this topic (1 guests and 0 anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Elantra Sport review
4 elantragt 108,376 21st June 2017 - 05:26 PM
Last post by: elantragt
No New Posts 2012 Elantra Front End Clunking
2 RM42 761 17th May 2017 - 07:15 PM
Last post by: RM42
No New Posts Topic has attachments2012 Elantra pics
9 danciucci 1,249 2nd May 2017 - 06:31 AM