This is an archived forum community. It's currently closed to new memberships.
ElantraClub - for all generations

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules Overview
4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Gas saving tips
bratsmom
post Sep 1 2005, 09:43 PM
Post #13 | Print

EClub Donator
Group Icon
Group: Lifetimer
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Thanks Received: 6
Trader Stats: 0 (0%)
Member No.: 1,200
Mood: Accomplished

QUOTE (BobMsWht2k2 @ Sep 1 2005, 05:52 PM)
Funny note:  At lunch watched a soccer mom in a 2004 Suburban 2500 8.1 gas running 70 mph in a 40 right up to the red stoplight and stand on the brakes to get stopped in time.  You can see the stopped trafic at this particular light for almost a mile.  10mpg + bad driving habit=priceless! rofl.gif

I have a 2001 Suburban (still had 4 kids living at home when I bought it) and I average 18 MPG. That's with the AC blasting. I'm going to be really upset if the
Elantra only gets 1 MPG better.

--------------------

A proud member of the club.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
elantragt
post Sep 1 2005, 10:00 PM
Post #14 | Print

Club Founder
Group Icon
Group: Admin
Posts Per Day: 3.04
Thanks Received: 2809
Trader Stats: 16 (100%)
Member No.: 1
Mood: Okay

I'm going to be really upset if the Elantra only gets 1 MPG better.

I get around 30 mpg average with some performance mods... with about a 65/35 highway-city mix. In city only driving I probably get 23-24mpg. Our cars are excellent on the highway and only average in stop and go.

--------------------

+Quote Post
sbarrett4
post Sep 1 2005, 10:20 PM
Post #15 | Print

Club Newbie
Group Icon
Group: Members
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Thanks Received: 0
Member No.: 1,239

QUOTE (blupupher @ Sep 1 2005, 10:55 AM)
I agree with all but # 4. I get better mileage in the Elantra with the windows down than with them up and the A/C on (on the highway and in city). No real difference between windows down and up on the highway with A/C off.

Same here. I have driven the highway with the front windows down the last ten days or so and the fuel usage is much better than when I had to use the A/C. I don't think the drag is that much greater vs. closed windows.

--------------------

+Quote Post
cclngthr
post Sep 1 2005, 10:21 PM
Post #16 | Print

The teach
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 0.97
Member No.: 426
Mood: Calm

QUOTE (elantragt @ Sep 1 2005, 08:00 PM)
I get around 30 mpg average with some performance mods... with about a 65/35 highway-city mix. In city only driving I probably get 23-24mpg. Our cars are excellent on the highway and only average in stop and go.

When I had my 74 El-Camino, I got 26 mpg on the highway with the stock 350 V8 that had a small 2 bbl carb on it. I get about 32 mpg highway with my E. The thing with that El was there was no smog crap on it. Straight 2 inch dual exhaust with high flow mufflers and a shift kit in the trans. I did have 255/60/15 tires on that too.

--------------------

"Childhood is measured by sounds and smells and sights before the dark hour of reason grows"
John Betjeman

+Quote Post
olidx
post Sep 3 2005, 09:55 PM
Post #17 | Print

Club Regular
Group Icon
Member No.: 683

QUOTE (elantragt @ Sep 1 2005, 08:00 PM)
I get around 30 mpg average with some performance mods... with about a 65/35 highway-city mix.

Same here. I have an automatic.

--------------------

+Quote Post
rtj525
post Sep 6 2005, 08:11 AM
Post #18 | Print

Club Newbie
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 0.00
Member No.: 95
Mood: Cheerful

Good Day to all! Last gas fill up was Saturday Sept. 3 (SHELL 87 Octane) @ $3.25/gal. That was the beginning of my work week. Driving is probably close to 90% open road (rural & highway). My cruise control is set at 70mph in 65mph zones, which is my max. speed. My ELANTRA (2003 GT, 5 speed, Hatch with 48k) MPG gauge on the dash read 35.7mpg after 250 miles, when I got home last night.

I have not checked my MPG manually in quite some time. I would like comments on the accuracy of the MPG gauge.

Also, it was mentioned in the "22 TIPS" post that overinflation of tires will actually lead to a decrease in MPG. Please explain.

Thanks to all!

This post has been edited by rtj525: Sep 6 2005, 06:02 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
elantragt
post Sep 9 2005, 04:18 PM
Post #19 | Print

Club Founder
Group Icon
Group: Admin
Posts Per Day: 3.04
Thanks Received: 2809
Trader Stats: 16 (100%)
Member No.: 1
Mood: Okay

rtj...

As far as overinflation ... this was a list I found online and pasted here. I know the general rule of thumb is underinflated tires will reduce mileage so that's a given. I don't have a solid explanation for #5 on the list. Although I do know that increasing the pressure considerably beyond the manufacturers recomendation can cause premature wear and handling issues. In my case I run about 34/33 in my 205/50-16 aftermarket tires on the GT.

The cars computer seems to be (more or less) in the ballpark accuracy wise. Remember, our cars do very well on the highway but are only average in town. I've gotten close to 36MPG quite often on long highway trips.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gregster
post Apr 29 2006, 09:30 AM
Post #20 | Print

Club Regular
Group Icon
Member No.: 1,714

QUOTE (olidx @ Sep 1 2005, 05:38 PM)
I may have another recommendation:

- Buy 87 to 89 gasoline. With our cars, you will not get better gas mileage with 91. 91 explodes more slowly than lower indices gasoline and could give you virtually less power if you reach the timing adjustment limit on your engine for the same consumption.

I have noticed that red lights are gas consumption killers. It may be nice using (large) turnabouts in US: much safer (accidents are not frontal and at lower speeds), no light, less need to stop.

Oh one other thing, I would be curious to know how much gas our cars burn idling per hour? For sure hybrids have the palm thereĀ   tongue.gif

I can check my scangauge and post this info later. I'll do it both w/ ac on and off.

Gregster

EDIT gph=gallon per hour
W/ No a/c
.2 gph in park
.3 gph in drive

W/ a/c
.3 gph in park
.4 gph in drive

This post has been edited by Gregster: Apr 29 2006, 11:38 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
teddertn
post May 28 2006, 10:43 PM
Post #21 | Print

Club Newbie
Group Icon
Member No.: 2,289

Hi-
I'm not sure I agree with the buying gas at cooler times of day tip. The storage tanks are underground, deep enough that the temperature is probably pretty much the same all year round for most localities. By the time a gallon has run through the hoses, you're probably getting it straight from the underground tank fast enough that it doesn't have much chance to heat up and expand from the pumps and hoses. Here in Memphis, we don't have to bury our water lines very deep to avoid freezing, and once you're 3 feet down, the temperature is pretty constant. Gas tanks are 10-15 feet down from the the excavations I've seen to dig up leaking ones.
I am having a near stroke over my gas mileage though. My new '06 GLS, with auto (I couldn't find a manual hatchback to save my life) got 21mpg on it's 2nd tank in moderate city driving with mostly 40 mph and ~20 stop lights on my 12 mile each way commute, with a little highway thrown in for breakin purposes. I was doing everything I could to reduce consumption- moderate acceleration, putting it in neutral at long stop lights, no a/c, etc.
I'm praying that the comments about improvement with time pan out! The 16 year old Toyota Corolla wagon I traded in was getting 30mpg on this same route with a 1.5 liter engine, but manual trans. I drove it hard without much concern for gas mileage-ie.- enjoying the 5 speed manual and pretty much a lead foot at the green lights, but rarely speeding. It seemed to thrive on it.
Does anyone know if it hurts or helps to put an automatic in neutral at stop lights?
Also, does the Traction Control System (which I understand works by applying brakes to the faster wheel) affect gas mileage- ie, does it help to turn it off when it's not raining or snowing?
-Ted

--------------------

+Quote Post
citking
post Jun 2 2006, 11:32 AM
Post #22 | Print

Animal I Have Become
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Member No.: 2,025

Putting an auto tranny into neutral during a light won't do anything except increase wear on your transaxle as you constantly shift from N to D. The idle speed difference is negligable at best. Not only that, if you forget to shift back to D before revving it to go, you've actually just wasted more gas.

TCS is only on when it needs to be on. Leaving it engaged at all times is the best practice since you can't really anticipate when you'll need it most. ABS is a system that functions in a similar method: It is always "on", but not being used unless called upon by the computer.

Are you using standard 87 octane? Higher octanes could cause problems with fuel efficiencies. Also, are you relying on your car's computer to tell you the mileage? From my experience it takes the computer a fairly long time to get the MPG correct. After I reset mine while opening the dash, it took almost 2 months for it to "zero out" and report the correct mileage.

This post has been edited by citking: Jun 2 2006, 11:33 AM

--------------------

Thank goodness that's over!

+Quote Post
teddertn
post Jun 4 2006, 01:07 PM
Post #23 | Print

Club Newbie
Group Icon
Member No.: 2,289

citking-
Thanks for the input! I am using actual odometer and gas pumped readings to calculate the mileage. I've got the GLS, which doesn't have the mpg/trip computer that the GT does.
You've confirmed what I figured was probably true about putting it(auto trans) in neutral at stop lights- in this case I was going for a best possible mpg measurement, since the first tank was from the dealer (only 60miles on it when I got it 6/1/06), and I didn't know if it had been completely filled up. When I filled it up though with the gas for the 2nd tank, the mpg calculated out higher, but the dealer may have topped it off before delivery, giving me that first 60 miles for "free"- and throwing the calculation off.
Since I don't actually put a lot of miles other than commuting on my car, it'll be another week before I'm ready for another fillup- we'll see what I get then with normal driving habits.
-Ted

--------------------

+Quote Post
citking
post Jun 5 2006, 07:05 PM
Post #24 | Print

Animal I Have Become
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Member No.: 2,025

Glad to help!

Hey, I read somewhere that, nowadays, it is more fuel-efficient to use the A/C rather than open a window at highway speeds. For in town driving, since the air resistance is usually pretty low, it's the opposite. You guys think this is true?

--------------------

Thank goodness that's over!

+Quote Post
4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 user(s) are reading this topic (2 guests and 0 anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Pinned: Tips for new Autocrossers
from the archive
19 elantragt 70,762 16th May 2014 - 07:09 PM
Last post by: trololololo
No New Posts gas mileage
losing gas mileage
9 thekens 1,003 9th September 2013 - 12:36 AM
Last post by: litesong