This is an archived forum community. It's currently closed to new memberships.
ElantraClub - for all generations

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules Overview
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Federal Election
MEly
post Sep 3 2008, 08:19 PM
Post #1 | Print

The "other" Marc
Group Icon
Group: Lifetimer
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Thanks Received: 6
Trader Stats: 3 (100%)
Member No.: 4,135
Mood: Exhausted

Most Canadians have no-doubt heard the recent rhetoric about the potential upcoming election. I'm interested to hear what Canadian (and non-Canadian if you feel so obliged) members think about this.

I read somewhere that the government actually mandated the next election be held in October 2009 (not 2008) but Harper's trying to overthrow the government because he doesn't think he's going to have the support of the other parties. Now, Duceppe (of the Bloc) was quoted as saying that Harper could pull off another session in the legislature, he just doesn't want to. And The Star indicated that even Dion has come out now and said that Harper is on the verge of calling an election.

Here's the thing - I am generally a Liberal. I like most of their policies, I think aside from a few scandals they did a fairly good job running the country. Dion is not what Canada needs right now. In fact, last election, I voted Conservative for two reasons.

First - it was a personal attack against Dion. I honestly can't stomach seeing him as Prime Minister - same with my current MP. I feel like she's really done nothing of any significance for our riding. In fact, every news bulletin we get from her seems like all she's promoting is how she's been involved in cultural this and cultural that. So what?!

Secondly - With Paul Martin's minority falling so quickly, I read through both party's platforms. Although I don't support every Conservative motion, they made enough good points that I felt confident backing them up.

Now, I haven't done my research yet this election - but I don't think much has changed for me. Harper really hasn't done anything wrong. Sure, there's the Bernier scandal - but how is Harper supposed to be held accountable for that? For that matter - how can I hold the Conservative Party of Canada responsible for one man's idiocy? I agree that you really can't run a successful government with a Minority. Well, you can - but not when the parties are at odds like they've been for the past year while Dion's been trying to bolster his image.

To be quite honest, as much as I'd like to see an election now to put an end to this misery I'm hoping for a few things.

1) An election where the Conservatives win a majority. This will keep them in power for 4-5 years, I think things will go fairly smoothly and the Liberals will find a successor to Dion (who really should never have been leader in the first place, if it wasn't for Kennedy and Ignatief stepping aside)

2) The Conservatives win a minority. I would hope this would STILL be enough to get Dion out of the driver's seat. Unfortunately, this means ANOTHER election in 2-3 years. Really, it bothers other people more than it bothers me. They're on the campaign trail for one month and it takes me 10 minutes to vote. It's not like in the States where the campaign starts a year earlier with all the caucauses and such. But - it'll piss a lot of people off and mean even if he does a good job, he won't get back in.

What would concern me is if Dion wins a minority. Unless Harper screws up, Dion won't win a majority - but a minority is possible. Harper is kissing some serious ass right now... a probe into the Maple Leaf meats bacteria breakout - some promises to maintain production at the Ford plant in Oshawa... this is all pre-election bolstering. So really, unless he REALLY messes up - Dion won't win a majority. BUT... should he win a minority, I really fear for Canada. The Liberals on a whole are not that bad, but I just don't think that Dion has what it takes to maintain Canada's stature on the world stage. Especially following the last two Liberal Prime Ministers, we really do need a change - we need someone that can take the misgivings of the past and turn them into the future. Hmm... we could really use another Trudeau tongue.gif

Anyway - this was a LOT longer than I expected it to be, it just feels good to write about Canadian politics for a change... something I at least know a little about.

--------------------

A proud member of the club.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ishtar
post Sep 4 2008, 06:44 AM
Post #2 | Print

Educated Fool
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 0.72
Thanks Received: 1
Trader Stats: 1 (100%)
Member No.: 1,461
Mood: Accomplished

Same result as last time, +/- 5 seats. Don't believe me, I just got a degree in Canadian Politics smile.gif

--------------------

Come mothers and fathers / Throughout the land
And don't criticize / What you can't understand
Your sons and your daughters / Are beyond your command
Your old road is / Rapidly agin'.
Please get out of the new one / If you can't lend your hand
For the times they are a-changin'.

+Quote Post
MEly
post Sep 4 2008, 07:59 AM
Post #3 | Print

The "other" Marc
Group Icon

QUOTE (Ishtar @ Sep 4 2008, 07:44 AM) *
Same result as last time, +/- 5 seats. Don't believe me, I just got a degree in Canadian Politics smile.gif

Ok. I won't.

Seriously though - that wouldn't surprise me one bit. At the very least Harper will have shown that his party's up for a fight.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ishtar
post Sep 4 2008, 08:50 AM
Post #4 | Print

Educated Fool
Group Icon

Too bad he's taking the liberal example of fighting an election when it is convienient rather than his "legislated" election plan.

His social polies are silly.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Figjam74
post Sep 4 2008, 12:00 PM
Post #5 | Print

Power Poster
Group Icon
Group: Members
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Thanks Received: 0
Trader Stats: 0 (0%)
Member No.: 949
Mood: Silly

Maybe it's because I'm not in Eastern Canada, but what is the deal with Dion? I've run across a lot of people that absolutely despise him, but I have no idea why.

Personally, I can't stand Harper. I really hope he never has a majority government.
I didn't mind Layton up until the last election - I thought he handled himself poorly in the last leader's debates.

Maybe I'll vote Green this time around.

--------------------

-2005 White Elantra GT-
Winter Tires: Studded Pirelli Winter Carving
Summer Tires: Yokohama Avid TRZ

+Quote Post
flcerberus
post Sep 4 2008, 03:57 PM
Post #6 | Print

Berlin Veteran
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Thanks Received: 37
Member No.: 212
Mood: Bemused

We lcome to the club from a proud American:usaflag: usaflag.gif usaflag.gif vote.gif vote.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
MEly
post Sep 5 2008, 09:07 AM
Post #7 | Print

The "other" Marc
Group Icon

QUOTE (Figjam74 @ Sep 4 2008, 01:00 PM) *
Maybe it's because I'm not in Eastern Canada, but what is the deal with Dion? I've run across a lot of people that absolutely despise him, but I have no idea why.

Honestly, everytime I read something about Dion he says one thing then does another. To be quite honest, even listening to him talk and make his case... he's NOT a leader. Honestly, he's not someone I'd be proud to have running my country... showing up at G8 summits and supposedly 'representing' Canada. Give me Martin any day.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ishtar
post Sep 5 2008, 09:19 AM
Post #8 | Print

Educated Fool
Group Icon

Stuff Martin, bring Cretien back! Strangle some protesters, play hardball... come on man we need some fire in 24 Sussex.

--------------------

+Quote Post
sciphi
post Sep 5 2008, 08:19 PM
Post #9 | Print

Driving a Couch
Group Icon
Group: Members
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Member No.: 2,715
Mood: Depressed

At least you guys have interesting politics with some real choices it sounds like. Two different views for where the country should go, and needing third-party support for getting anywhere.

South of the border all we have are Tweedledee and Tweedledum vying for the Grand Poo-Bah's mansion. The only difference is what they say before they stick it to us common folk.

--------------------

Everything is good in moderation. Including moderation.

"You are young and there is only more to learn, how else can you truly understand how something works without breaking the absolute hell out of it ?"

-
shawn (sed)

1999 Hyundai Elantra (RIP)
1999 Hyundai Elantra (in the family)
2012 Chevrolet Cruze Eco (mine)
2009 Honda Fit Sport (wife's)

+Quote Post
mregt02
post Sep 6 2008, 06:18 AM
Post #10 | Print

You can't triple stamp a double stamp!
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Thanks Received: 0
Member No.: 387
Mood: Annoyed

Dion is certainly the smartest leader right now or at least the best educated for sure he's just not a great speaker, mind you Steve is hardly a good speaker too.
I respect the fact that the Libs had the courage to present the Green shift, it's pretty controversial and didn't do him many favours since people are thinking hey great another tax but Dion stuck to his guns (somewhat) that's better than the kiss-ass style Harper doesl oh you've got tons of money... yes come kill our ecosystem don't worry about nature it'll fix itself God told me. I know I'm blowing it out of proportions but I could never vote for the Conservative MP in my riding 'cause he's a damned idiot and once had the nerve to publicly tell a constituent that if they didnt like something he did they shouldn't have voted for him...... /rant

--------------------

2002 Hatch, Silver, Tib sway bar, 5 speed

+Quote Post
Vampyrate
post Sep 6 2008, 10:44 AM
Post #11 | Print

Call Me Aaron
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 0.85
Thanks Received: 35
Member No.: 1,056
Mood: Carefree

QUOTE (sciphi @ Sep 5 2008, 09:19 PM) *
South of the border all we have are Tweedledee and Tweedledum vying for the Grand Poo-Bah's mansion. The only difference is what they say before they stick it to us common folk.

that is so sig worthy, but im too lazy to find the thread and to make it my own

--------------------

"Life without music is a big mistake." - Friedrich Nietzsche
QUOTE (rogerdavis87 @ Sep 28 2008, 09:07 PM) [snapback]259849[/snapback]
eww i can see your geek

+Quote Post
MEly
post Sep 7 2008, 08:54 PM
Post #12 | Print

The "other" Marc
Group Icon

Firstly - I couldn't agree with you more Dave. Our politics here are TOTALLY different than yours and are much more about the politics than the 'bling' factor. Honestly, I'd say that most of the keynote speeches at the conventions had absolutely NOTHING to do with party platforms - more about why the leaders will "personally" be the best option for the country.

Now as for the liberals vs. conservative debate... I hear that there is now an official election call. I'll do what I do every year and read the entire platform for both parties to decide who I vote for - but as for the "green" stuff that Dion's put forward lately, didn't he just completely reformat the way that he proposed the plan to go out? I don't know much about it, to be completely honest with you, this is something I'm going to try to learn more about - but most of what I do hear is actually more negative than good.

Let's keep this updated as we get to the election in October (which I actually find pretty funny since this was called TODAY and the American election has already been 'going on' for about a year tongue.gif)

--------------------

+Quote Post
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 user(s) are reading this topic (1 guests and 0 anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No new votes Poll: Election Day
5 slows gurl 608 5th November 2014 - 11:19 AM
Last post by: hyundave
No New Posts Federal Revenue/Spending by State, 2005
3 cobas 964 1st February 2009 - 02:56 PM
Last post by: RHINESEL
No new votes Poll: Elections? Opinions?
10 Bigs 6,301 20th May 2005 - 08:23 PM