This is an archived forum community. It's currently closed to new memberships.
ElantraClub - for all generations

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Considering adding a little bump to the trunk, Update: Decision has been made!!!
Alex2013GT
post Nov 2 2012, 12:37 PM
Post #1 | Print

GT for life!
Group Icon
Group: VIP Members
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Thanks Received: 478
Trader Stats: 2 (100%)
Member No.: 34
Mood: Optimistic

So I am going through the arduous process of determining what my first mod will be to my GT. I have considered a CAI and have also considered adding a little bass to the stock stereo. I think the stock speakers sound pretty decent, so adding something in the trunk to add a little bass would cover anything I could possibly need from the stereo end. The only issue is I don't want to take up the entire trunk space in the hatch. Basically that brings me to either using a shallow mount enclosure or a single sub enclosure and just keeping it on one side of the trunk. I like the idea with a shallow mount enclsure, except I have never used one, nor even heard one in person before. I have had several different types and levels of systems in the past so I am looking for something that sounds good at normal volume, yet won't disappoint if I crank it up a bit. Has anyone used a shallow mount enclosure and if so what have been your opinions and how have they compared to a normal sub enclosure?

To give you a brief run down, some of the speaker systems I have run in the past are 3 MTX 6000 10" subs in a loaded enclosure, 2 MTX 12" 6000 subs (after one of the 10" ones blew) in a loaded enclosure, 2 12" dual subs in a bandpass box, 1 12" sub in a basic sealed enclosure (can't recall the sub brand but it was a cheap system), and 1 12" Kicker Solo-baric L5 in a sealed enclosure.

I don't need anything that will set off car alarms anymore, but I do want it to sound good. Also, I would like the setup to look nice.

One that I liked is this Soundstream shallow mount sub. The box certainly has a very unique look to it and it fits the bill in regards to price and size. But I have never used Soundstream subs so I don't know how well they are built, and as mentioned I have never used a shallow mount box, so I am a little nervous that the bass won't sound quite like what I'm expecting/hoping for. Feel free to throw out any recommendations for either shallow mount or single sub enclosure systems that you like. I would not be opposed to an amplified enclosure either as long as it sounds good.

Here is a pic of the sub I linked above:

--------------------

Please consider helping keep the club online and independent. Donate here to help the club.

Current Car: 2013 Hyundai Elantra GT, 6 spd manual w/ the style and tech packages
Previous Hyundai's: 2011 Hyundai Sonata SE in Venetian Red; 2006 Hyundai Sonata GLS, 3.3L V-6 in Ebony Black; 2004 Elantra GT, 5 spd manual in tidal wave blue
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Red Elantra GT
post Nov 2 2012, 01:13 PM
Post #2 | Print

Post Maniac
Group Icon
Group: Lifetimer
Posts Per Day: 0.37
Thanks Received: 136
Trader Stats: 1 (100%)
Member No.: 11,366
Mood: Carefree

Hey-on the Dutch Hyundai site (Hyundai.nl.), the i30 has an accessory sub that fits in the spare tire. Perhaps someone in NA makes a similar set up. The accessory brochure on that site has a ton of things that we don't get here. sad.gif

--------------------

A proud member of the club.
2003 Mercedes-Benz SL500
2013 Hyundai Elantra GT

+Quote Post
Alex2013GT
post Nov 2 2012, 02:00 PM
Post #3 | Print

GT for life!
Group Icon

I did look under the mat where the storage tray is to see if I could fit something in there. It certainly isn't out of the realm of possibility. I think this weekend I will spend a little time doing a little more looking and measuring. I also considered adding something to the privacy shelf, but I would be a little concerned with weight and also am not sure how that would sound (though I imagine it would be fine) with the hatch acting as the "box." I know the one guy did that (gotta find his post), but I believe he built a new shelf and didn't use the existing one.

--------------------

Please consider helping keep the club online and independent. Donate here to help the club.

Current Car: 2013 Hyundai Elantra GT, 6 spd manual w/ the style and tech packages
Previous Hyundai's: 2011 Hyundai Sonata SE in Venetian Red; 2006 Hyundai Sonata GLS, 3.3L V-6 in Ebony Black; 2004 Elantra GT, 5 spd manual in tidal wave blue

+Quote Post
Red Elantra GT
post Nov 2 2012, 02:09 PM
Post #4 | Print

Post Maniac
Group Icon

Hey-found a spare mounted sub that was offered on the Acura (RSX). Now I'm considering getting one too. smile.gif

--------------------

2003 Mercedes-Benz SL500
2013 Hyundai Elantra GT

+Quote Post
elantraVT
post Nov 2 2012, 06:54 PM
Post #5 | Print

Club Regular
Group Icon
Group: Members
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Thanks Received: 25
Trader Stats: 0 (0%)
Member No.: 13,127

I put 4 8" subs in my GT...i replaced the stock rear package tray with some BB ply and it sounds awesome.

I hae tried shallow mount subs in the past...a pair of dayton audio 10's...and IMO they do not sound real...hard to say whu...but the mechanical noise maybe was too much.

I also used to own a polk MM1240 sub that was semi shallow and it sounded very good.

here is my rear deck...it was under construction at the time the pic was taken.Attached File  IMAG0126.jpg ( 1.16MB ) Number of downloads: 6

--------------------

+Quote Post
1 members thank elantraVT for this post
Alex2013GT
FurunoFan
post Nov 2 2012, 06:58 PM
Post #6 | Print

J.Electron-Elantra 2013 GT
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Thanks Received: 120
Member No.: 13,648
Mood: Happy

Wow, that is some serious bass for a small car. You might be able to "bounce" a few more miles per gallon. :-)

--------------------

A proud member of the Elantra club.
2013 Elantra GT 6-Sp M/T w/Style
2008 Nissan Versa SL

+Quote Post
Alex2013GT
post Nov 2 2012, 08:16 PM
Post #7 | Print

GT for life!
Group Icon

ElantraVT, you are exactly who I was referring to. I remembered seeing your in process pics, but don't believe I've ever seen the final install pics. So I have a couple questions for you:

1. Does the stock Navigation unit have RCA outputs or did you have to install a line out convertor?
2. Do you think the stock deck could hold one (at most two) subs. Not sure if I would go with 10" or 12" yet. I might just fabricate something if I go that route so I don't ruin the stock deck though.
3. Have you noticed any bad rattles by the trunk area?
4. Can I see final install pics? Please????

Haha thanks!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Brad M
post Nov 2 2012, 09:45 PM
Post #8 | Print

red dragon
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Thanks Received: 50
Member No.: 13,389
Mood: Devious

that is a nice set up, though, as for the shallow mounts subs, I had one in an old truck I had, and found that it worked quite well, 12" Alpine type S. most places that sell Alpine usually have it in stock, or can order it quickly.

--------------------

this is my sig. GET THIS SITE ACTIVE PEOPLE!!!!!

2010 Elantra L. why don't I have power rear windows?!?!?

+Quote Post
Alex2013GT
post Nov 2 2012, 10:22 PM
Post #9 | Print

GT for life!
Group Icon

Thanks Brad! I might need to check out a couple shops and see what they have in stock. On a side note, I looked at the wheel well and holy hell is that thing deep. Hmm if only I didn't want to keep my spare tire in there biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Brad M
post Nov 2 2012, 10:38 PM
Post #10 | Print

red dragon
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Thanks Received: 50
Member No.: 13,389
Mood: Devious

if ever you have any audio questions, feel free to ask. I've changed systems too many times now to count. I've finally settled (I hope) on a small system of 15" Memphis in a sealed box, with a 1200w max 650rms Sony amp hooked up to it. yes, that is a small set up. . .

--------------------

this is my sig. GET THIS SITE ACTIVE PEOPLE!!!!!

2010 Elantra L. why don't I have power rear windows?!?!?

+Quote Post
1 members thank Brad M for this post
Alex2013GT
Alex2013GT
post Nov 5 2012, 03:02 PM
Post #11 | Print

GT for life!
Group Icon

Ok, well I went into a local stereo shop and was speaking with the one guy there for a little while. They had a subwoofer system that I had looked at a little online in stock and we brought it out to the car to see how it looked and how much space I would still have. Well it looked great in the car, he hooked it up to an amp in the store and it sounded nice (certainly all the bass I could ever want) and the price was good so I decided to spring for it. It is an MTX Magnum dual 10" enclosure with amp combination. I also picked up a line out convertor and a wiring kit from there. I could've gotten it a little cheaper online (say from Amazon) but I like to support local businesses, plus the guy there was helpful. In all, it cost me $225 (including all the wiring and line out convertor) and I spent Saturday night and a good part of Sunday installing it. I have some pics along the way and I plan to put together a more detailed install thread, but for now here is a pic of the speakers from last night. I am still deciding on where to mount the amp, so that piece is not yet complete. While I still need to play with the settings, it sounds quite nice, especially for the price of the system.

--------------------

+Quote Post
3 members thank Alex2013GT for this post
Jessie, Red Elantra GT, sarge
Red Elantra GT
post Nov 5 2012, 03:25 PM
Post #12 | Print

Post Maniac
Group Icon

Hey-Could you mount the sub on the right side, over the panel that flips towards the left? If it fit there, you could cut that panel from the remainder of the cargo cover panel and still have access to the spare.

--------------------

2003 Mercedes-Benz SL500
2013 Hyundai Elantra GT

+Quote Post
2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 user(s) are reading this topic (1 guests and 0 anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No new Topic has attachmentsThe stay in touch thread
58 elantragt 185,960 29th July 2023 - 02:09 AM
Last post by: natesi
No New Posts The new Elantra GT is on it's way
6 elantragt 128,461 21st June 2017 - 08:11 AM
Last post by: elantraelite
No new Pinned: Topic has attachmentsThe Official EC bike thread!
286 popeye 10,173 29th May 2017 - 11:33 AM
Last post by: elantragt
No new The Story of My 2000 Elantra
30 wizewun 45,834 26th January 2017 - 07:32 PM
Last post by: popeye
No New Posts Adding Brake Fluid / 12v outlet max wattage
XD
1 03Ellie 703 27th December 2016 - 10:31 AM
Last post by: poorboy428

Copyright 2022 The Elantra Club    
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 06:26 AM
Elantra Club is not affiliated in any way with Hyundai Motor America