This is an archived forum community. It's currently closed to new memberships.
ElantraClub - for all generations

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules Overview
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 2010 Elantra - Steering Wheel Radio Control Upgrade
bipseus
post Jul 19 2011, 11:31 AM
Post #1 | Print

Club Newbie
Group Icon
Group: Members
Posts Per Day: 0.00
Thanks Received: 0
Trader Stats: 0 (0%)
Member No.: 10,734

Hey all,

I just bought a 2010 elantra and I am loving it.

The only thing I want to be able to add on is the steering wheel audio controls.

Is there some kind of package I can buy that will allow me to do this?

Do they come pre-wired for it and I just have to buy the snap on plate for the wheel or do I need a harness?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! smile.gif

--------------------

A proud member of the club.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
edouble
post Jul 22 2011, 06:06 AM
Post #2 | Print

Club Newbie
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Thanks Received: 4
Member No.: 7,666
Mood: Whipped

This is probably going to be a pita but yes it can be done! I would think the wires are there.

It would be easier to buy an aftermarket h/u that has a remote. You could velcro the remote on the steering wheel.

--------------------

+Quote Post
close_ratio1971
post Sep 7 2011, 08:34 AM
Post #3 | Print

Club Newbie
Group Icon
Member No.: 11,090

Has any one added the factory steering wheel audio controls yet? or taken the wheel apart to see if the wires are actually there?

2010 elantra blue with cruze

This post has been edited by close_ratio1971: Sep 8 2011, 08:59 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
close_ratio1971
post Sep 8 2011, 08:56 AM
Post #4 | Print

Club Newbie
Group Icon
Member No.: 11,090

Ok I took apart the steering wheel and there are 6 unused pin locations on the plug to the steering column but of those 6 only 2 locations have pins going into the rotating contact assembly on the column. There are no wires to the left side of the wheel where the audio controls would be located. (with the wheel in straight ahead position) The four unused non contact wire locations are on the right of the plug and the two unused with contacts are in the top row on the left. Any chance someone with the audio control wheel can look at their connector and see which locations are used and which aren’t?

This post has been edited by close_ratio1971: Sep 8 2011, 09:00 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
bipseus
post Nov 19 2011, 03:30 PM
Post #5 | Print

Club Newbie
Group Icon
Member No.: 10,734

Hey Guys.

I found this ebay link that will give me the plate and harness for the wheel controls. I just need to know where the harness plugs into. Has anyone with a factory audio control taken their wheel apart so we can see where the harness plugs into? Help would be greatly appreciated!

ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Steering-Wheel-Lef...#ht_4105wt_1159

--------------------

+Quote Post
Vinnie
post Nov 19 2011, 10:34 PM
Post #6 | Print

Elantra Guru
Group Icon
Group: Leader
Posts Per Day: 0.62
Thanks Received: 558
Member No.: 7,533
Mood: Evil

Dont know if this will help because it does not confirm anythign but check this out,
Link to HMAService.com's decription of remote audio controller.
Just make sure you have your battery disconnected when messing with the airbag modules.

--------------------

+Quote Post
kish21
post Dec 18 2011, 08:50 PM
Post #7 | Print

Club Newbie
Group Icon
Member No.: 11,708

I hate to hijack this thread but there are some good information in here that I didn't want to repeat.
I am also interested in installing the left audio control buttons on my 2010 Elantra GLS. I went to go talk to the parts dept. and the required parts are:

96700-2H200-S4 (button module for left hand side)
56190-2H000 (extension cable/y-splitter for left hand side)
and the pictures of these are posted by bipseus' ebay link: Steering Wheel Left Remote Control + EXT Wire

I took apart the steering wheel thanks to Vinnie's posted information and here are some pics:

MM01 connector:

Right side (cruise control):

Left side (currently empty):

As you can see, the male connector (MM01) is shared for the left side audio buttons (M57) and the right side cruise control buttons (M60), so the EXT wire should provide the y-splitter for that.
My only fear is that MM01's female connector, M02-R is not wired for pin 11 and 12 connecting to the radio's pin 16 and 17. I haven't yet had a chance to do this because I haven't taken apart the steering wheel/column (stupid plastic in the way!)
If you have no idea idea what i'm talking about, I've included the schematic diagram smile.gif

Has anyone else attempted this project, if so any success?

This post has been edited by kish21: Dec 22 2011, 01:57 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
ajlempka
post Dec 21 2011, 01:22 PM
Post #8 | Print

Club Newbie
Group Icon
Thanks Received: 1
Member No.: 11,731

Hey I have been looking into doing the same upgrade and i read for other Hyundai models this can't be done but I'm willing to try it for my elantra. To take off the plastic around the steering column, turn the top of your steering wheel to 9'oclock and then to 3 o'clock and you should see 1 screw on each side behind the steering wheel and then there is one screw underneath beside the height adjustment. I took this apart last week and noticed that there is 6 wires going into the knuckle from the cruise remote and then coming out of the knuckle there is 8. So I think it will work with the remote that you found off ebay. Also all HD models have two wires in the back of the audio unit for an audio remote. Then to get the silver blank piece out i think you gonna need to take apart the wheel more because it is screwed in to part of the metal rather than conveniently snapped in by plastic. I'll probably be doing this mod in the next month. Lemme know how it went for you and I'll try to share some pics when i get working on it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
kish21
post Dec 22 2011, 01:55 AM
Post #9 | Print

Club Newbie
Group Icon

Great! That is good news.

First I want to confirm that you DO need to take the steering wheel off the column completely in order to get access to the 2 screws needed to take out the silver blank piece out. These two screws are inserted in from behind the wheel into the blank piece, so that is why the wheel needs to come off.
Second, thanks for telling how to remove the steering column plastic. I saw those two screws behind the steering wheel, but I couldn't think of a way to get to them without taking the whole wheel off. But now I can see they can be accessed simply by moving the wheel 90 degrees off center! thanks!
The "knuckle" you are talking about I believe is connector MM01. You can also see this connector in my labeled pictures below. Here is the connector and the pin #s:

and the other end of this connector is M02R:

According to the schematic,
pin 3, 4, 5 is cruise control
pin 9, 10 is backlight.
pin 11, 12 is audio control

So if there is 8 wires coming of out this connector, and 6 are used, that is good news. This will mean that the two remaining wires, pin 11 and 12 is already wired into the radio.
If not, we're going to need run wires from the back of the radio unit to these two pins on the MM01 or M02R connector.
Incidentally, do you know how to remove the radio unit so I can have a look at the back? I attempted to pry off the surrounding plastic with a screwdriver wrapped in cloth and it seems like it would damage/break the plastic.

--------------------

+Quote Post
ajlempka
post Dec 22 2011, 11:51 AM
Post #10 | Print

Club Newbie
Group Icon
Thanks Received: 1
Member No.: 11,731

To get the plastic off from around the stereo I took an old butter knife and melted the tip and bent it 90degrees and then heated it up again and melted it another 90degrees. So in the end you have a tool allows you to pull it straight back off of the body. Its just a bunch of clips so just pry around it and then start taking it off.

--------------------

+Quote Post
kish21
post Dec 22 2011, 10:08 PM
Post #11 | Print

Club Newbie
Group Icon

I took off the plastic and here are some pics of the steering wheel column. I guess the knuckle you were talking about was actually connector M02R, and you are right, there are 8 wires coming out of it.
I still couldn't get the plastic off around the radio, but I guess I won't be needing to, hopefully. The next step is to figure out how to take off the steering wheel. My hunch is that it has to do with the large nut in the center of the wheel.
I will be getting my parts either tomorrow or Saturday, I will post more information as I move along.

This post has been edited by kish21: Dec 22 2011, 10:13 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
kish21
post Dec 29 2011, 02:59 AM
Post #12 | Print

Club Newbie
Group Icon

Long story short.

I ordered through the Hyundai parts dept @ the dealership. The part #: 56190-2H000 (extension cable/y-splitter for left hand side) was an invalid part # and I didn't get the cable. The part #: 96700-2H200-S4 (button module for left hand side) looked like it was going to fit, but the silver plastic had a honeycomb texture to it, whereas my stock blank is smooth plastic. I didn't want this mismatch so I sent it back. In the end, I couldn't get either part. So then I ordered again, this time through Ebay, and my parts didn't come in yet from Korea, so I will post update when they do.

--------------------

+Quote Post
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 user(s) are reading this topic (1 guests and 0 anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Elantra Sport review
4 elantragt 108,383 21st June 2017 - 05:26 PM
Last post by: elantragt
No New Posts 2010 CDN touring deck help
5 midnightracer 44,693 20th November 2016 - 12:03 AM
Last post by: gjopson
No New Posts Elantra GLS 2016 Diesel HID to Xenon
Elantra GLS 2016 Diesel HID to Xenon