This is an archived forum community. It's currently closed to new memberships.
ElantraClub - for all generations

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules Overview
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Cone Filter mod
hourang
post Sep 24 2012, 02:46 PM
Post #1 | Print

Club Regular
Group Icon
Group: Lifetimer
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Thanks Received: 27
Trader Stats: 0 (0%)
Member No.: 13,571
Mood: Accomplished

took out the stock airbox lid and filter and stuck on a cone filter i had laying around. i had to cut up a piece of plastic to go between the filter and tube since they were the same size. so far im loving it! no idea if i gained any power but the sound is nice which was what i was after. i still want to find something to plug up the extra tube resonator, will be checking lowes to see what i can find. i am also going to take off the cold air tube so that cold air shoots straight at the filter.

This post has been edited by hourang: Sep 24 2012, 02:47 PM

--------------------

2013 Hyundai Elantra GLS sedan - Black - mudguards, cone filter
2001 Chevy Silverado 4x4 5.3l ext cab Z71
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mbenz
post Sep 24 2012, 05:03 PM
Post #2 | Print

Power Poster
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Thanks Received: 49
Member No.: 10,411
Mood: Awake

Nice that was my first mod did the exact same thing tongue.gif until I made my own short ram then eventually ripped the sucker out and bought the k and n kit!! Lol ull deff "feel the difference" and it does sound better IMO

Don't take out the tube because the air that's coming through the stock will be cold and it's actually more direct because it's shooting right at the intake

--------------------

A proud member of the club.

+Quote Post
hourang
post Sep 25 2012, 10:16 AM
Post #3 | Print

Club Regular
Group Icon

QUOTE (mbenz @ Sep 24 2012, 06:03 PM) *
Nice that was my first mod did the exact same thing tongue.gif until I made my own short ram then eventually ripped the sucker out and bought the k and n kit!! Lol ull deff "feel the difference" and it does sound better IMO

Don't take out the tube because the air that's coming through the stock will be cold and it's actually more direct because it's shooting right at the intake

yeah i might just leave it, makes it easier to put it back to stock when i go in for service. dont want them blaming anything on a harmless cone filter, should only take me a minute to unscrew the cone and put the stock box on that i keep in the trunk. it definitely "feels" quicker but i dont know anyone that can tell a 5hp difference if that. would love for someone to dyno it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
skwon9642
post Sep 26 2012, 12:25 PM
Post #4 | Print

Club Newbie
Group Icon
Group: Members
Posts Per Day: 0.00
Thanks Received: 3
Member No.: 7,140

SOUND CLIP!

--------------------

2012 Elantra MD 6-speed Manual BLACK

+Quote Post
Bianco
post Sep 27 2012, 08:22 AM
Post #5 | Print

Club Regular
Group Icon
Thanks Received: 18
Member No.: 13,454
Mood: Amused

QUOTE (hourang @ Sep 25 2012, 11:16 AM) *
yeah i might just leave it, makes it easier to put it back to stock when i go in for service. dont want them blaming anything on a harmless cone filter, should only take me a minute to unscrew the cone and put the stock box on that i keep in the trunk. it definitely "feels" quicker but i dont know anyone that can tell a 5hp difference if that. would love for someone to dyno it.

I can understand if you did this for sound. Response time will "feel" quicker, but gaining any hp's is very slim to none. Loss of hp/torque will be a given, when the air filter is sucking in hot engine air.

I myself kept my air box in place and I opened up and modified the intake system, by removing the restricted air silencer. My next step is to straight pipe the air box from the grille, for max forced cold air.

--------------------

2013 GLS 6MT in White "aka Bianco" Daily Driver
2001 Mustang Bullitt in True Blue "1 of 23 in Canada" Summer Toy

+Quote Post
hourang
post Sep 27 2012, 12:04 PM
Post #6 | Print

Club Regular
Group Icon

QUOTE (Bianco @ Sep 27 2012, 09:22 AM) *
I can understand if you did this for sound. Response time will "feel" quicker, but gaining any hp's is very slim to none. Loss of hp/torque will be a given, when the air filter is sucking in hot engine air.

I myself kept my air box in place and I opened up and modified the intake system, by removing the restricted air silencer. My next step is to straight pipe the air box from the grille, for max forced cold air.

it may be better to have a heat shield in place for off idle acceleration but this setup should gain power over the stock intake. with all the restrictions and air silencers, bends, etc there is no way the stock intake makes more power. most everything ive heard about heat soak has been car dependent and only at lower speeds when its hot outside. the advantage that the elantra has is that the air box is not right behind the radiator fan, so it does not have hot radiator heat blown on it like some cars do (rwd cars mostly given the location of the tbody). it also has the stock cold air tubes in place, so some small amount of air is pulled from the same cold source though it is not the same since its not pulling like a vacuum on the tubes just whatever air is forced through it from the car moving. and most of the cars online that have issues with heat soak are performance cars from the factory, where the engineers spent a lot of time and money making the intake get the most power while being quiet, where our cars are cheap economy cars that they want to make zero intake noise and be as quiet as possible and as cheap as possible, hurting power in the process. you witnessed this first hand by removing that crappy restrictive air silencer thing that you would never see on a performance car. plus for the accent, hyundai sells SRI intakes right at the dealer. i really think that for a traverse mounted engine where the intake normally resides behind the headlights, a cone filter in place of the stock air box is a good mod. people that mount a cone filter directly on the tbody are crazy, unless you have a gtp where the filter is still behind the headlight even with no tubing (which has been proven over and over to increase power on that car, dyno, 1/4 mile times, etc).

QUOTE (skwon9642 @ Sep 26 2012, 01:25 PM) *
SOUND CLIP!

you asked, i delivered!!

takeoff with windows up:

passing a car with the windows down:

its louder in person, i love it!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bianco
post Sep 27 2012, 12:19 PM
Post #7 | Print

Club Regular
Group Icon

I noticed your flex intake pipe has a plastic tube coming off of it, where does it go? Weird because my 13 GLS doesn't have it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
bhorste
post Sep 27 2012, 12:21 PM
Post #8 | Print

Resident Guitar Guru
Group Icon
Group: Leader
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Thanks Received: 437
Trader Stats: 4 (100%)
Member No.: 6,125
Mood: Pensive

QUOTE (Bianco @ Sep 27 2012, 01:19 PM) *
I noticed your flex intake pipe has a plastic tube coming off of it, where does it go? Weird because my 13 GLS doesn't have it.

There's a Helmholtz resonator chamber that's just there for tuning, and the other one goes to the PCV.

--------------------

-Ben
'03 GT, and a proud Lifetimer
'14 Ford Fiesta SE

http://www.lagerhaus5.com

+Quote Post
Bianco
post Sep 27 2012, 12:26 PM
Post #9 | Print

Club Regular
Group Icon

QUOTE (bhorste @ Sep 27 2012, 01:21 PM) *
There's a Helmholtz resonator chamber that's just there for tuning, and the other one goes to the PCV.

Interesting mine doesn't have that resonator chamber, not that I'm complaining it seem weird that the 2 same year and same cars, are different.

--------------------

+Quote Post
hourang
post Sep 27 2012, 01:20 PM
Post #10 | Print

Club Regular
Group Icon

QUOTE (Bianco @ Sep 27 2012, 01:26 PM) *
Interesting mine doesn't have that resonator chamber, not that I'm complaining it seem weird that the 2 same year and same cars, are different.

yeah i know im pissed about it, wish it wasnt there. im guessing its something they did in the middle of the production year or in only certain areas or model types. when i remove it, im going to call it the bobbit mod, cuz..you know...it looks like a ..., lol

QUOTE (bhorste @ Sep 27 2012, 01:21 PM) *

look at you getting all scientific with your descriptions, and then there is me calling it the penis tube. lol

--------------------

+Quote Post
bhorste
post Sep 27 2012, 05:14 PM
Post #11 | Print

Resident Guitar Guru
Group Icon
Group: Leader
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Thanks Received: 437
Trader Stats: 4 (100%)
Member No.: 6,125
Mood: Pensive

QUOTE (hourang @ Sep 27 2012, 02:20 PM) *
look at you getting all scientific with your descriptions, and then there is me calling it the penis tube. lol

Sorry... my dad worked as an engineer at Ford for 30 years, and NVH (noise, vibration and harshness) was his specialty.

--------------------

-Ben
'03 GT, and a proud Lifetimer
'14 Ford Fiesta SE

http://www.lagerhaus5.com

+Quote Post
skwon9642
post Sep 28 2012, 11:34 AM
Post #12 | Print

Club Newbie
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 0.00
Thanks Received: 3
Member No.: 7,140

QUOTE (hourang @ Sep 27 2012, 01:04 PM) *
it may be better to have a heat shield in place for off idle acceleration but this setup should gain power over the stock intake. with all the restrictions and air silencers, bends, etc there is no way the stock intake makes more power. most everything ive heard about heat soak has been car dependent and only at lower speeds when its hot outside. the advantage that the elantra has is that the air box is not right behind the radiator fan, so it does not have hot radiator heat blown on it like some cars do (rwd cars mostly given the location of the tbody). it also has the stock cold air tubes in place, so some small amount of air is pulled from the same cold source though it is not the same since its not pulling like a vacuum on the tubes just whatever air is forced through it from the car moving. and most of the cars online that have issues with heat soak are performance cars from the factory, where the engineers spent a lot of time and money making the intake get the most power while being quiet, where our cars are cheap economy cars that they want to make zero intake noise and be as quiet as possible and as cheap as possible, hurting power in the process. you witnessed this first hand by removing that crappy restrictive air silencer thing that you would never see on a performance car. plus for the accent, hyundai sells SRI intakes right at the dealer. i really think that for a traverse mounted engine where the intake normally resides behind the headlights, a cone filter in place of the stock air box is a good mod. people that mount a cone filter directly on the tbody are crazy, unless you have a gtp where the filter is still behind the headlight even with no tubing (which has been proven over and over to increase power on that car, dyno, 1/4 mile times, etc).

you asked, i delivered!!

takeoff with windows up:

passing a car with the windows down:

its louder in person, i love it!

LOVE IT! THANK YOU. will do this myself soon!

--------------------

2012 Elantra MD 6-speed Manual BLACK

+Quote Post
2 Pages V   1 2 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 user(s) are reading this topic (1 guests and 0 anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Filter oil
How noobish is this?
7 Biff 13,466 9th September 2016 - 06:32 PM
Last post by: Georgeandkira
No New Posts Mods to increase gas milage/performance 08Elantra
21 CRF450Jim 19,681 10th April 2015 - 08:13 AM
Last post by: matt8967
No New Posts Mods needed to parking and fog lights