This is an archived forum community. It's currently closed to new memberships.
ElantraClub - for all generations

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules Overview
8 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Using A Clay Bar!, Getting ready to clay and using clay!
Rating 5 V
roydjt
post Jun 16 2005, 02:05 AM
Post #25 | Print

Outta the way!
Group Icon
Group: Leader
Posts Per Day: 0.85
Thanks Received: 272
Trader Stats: 4 (100%)
Member No.: 33
Mood: Cocky

It was easier than I thought. I washed the car and clayed it wet. The clay took a while to soften and really become malleable in my hand. I could feel the clay "grabbing" the dirt and lifting it out of the paint. I could see the dirt on the clay and in the water/Quik Detailer. The paint was left feeling slicker, and the whole car only took me like 20 minutes. My neighbors gave me some funny looks, but hey, my car is shinier than theirs.

There were some things that I thought would be removed by the clay that were not. I have these little white pinhole-sized dots in certain areas, I think it's wax buildup. Most of it was removed by the clay, but not all.

The only bummer of the job was seeing all of the new rock chips I have. >:-(

I followed that up with a layer of Meguiar's NXT and later on a coat of P21S. Today was overcast and grey, not the kind of day to take photos to show how shiny a finish looks, so I didn't snap any. If tomorrow is decent, I'll take a few.

-Roy

--------------------

"If what Jesus said was good, what can it matter if he was God or not?" - Kurt Vonnegut

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Bigs
post Jun 16 2005, 06:37 AM
Post #26 | Print

I ran out of ideas...
Group Icon
Group: Lifetimer
Posts Per Day: 1.48
Thanks Received: 31
Trader Stats: 0 (0%)
Member No.: 158
Mood: Indescribable

QUOTE (Roydjt @ Jun 16 2005, 03:05 AM)
It was easier than I thought.  I washed the car and clayed it wet.  The clay took a while to soften and really become malleable in my hand.  I could feel the clay "grabbing" the dirt and lifting it out of the paint.  I could see the dirt on the clay and in the water/Quik Detailer.  The paint was left feeling slicker, and the whole car only took me like 20 minutes.  My neighbors gave me some funny looks, but hey, my car is shinier than theirs.

There were some things that I thought would be removed by the clay that were not.  I have these little white pinhole-sized dots in certain areas, I think it's wax buildup.  Most of it was removed by the clay, but not all. 

The only bummer of the job was seeing all of the new rock chips I have. >:-(

I followed that up with a layer of Meguiar's NXT and later on a coat of P21S.  Today was overcast and grey, not the kind of day to take photos to show how shiny a finish looks, so I didn't snap any.  If tomorrow is decent, I'll take a few. 

-Roy

That's awsome Roy! Glad you had the guts to try it out! Wasn't it you that was scared to try clay? Anyways, I can't wait to see pictures! thumbsup.gif

--------------------

2017 Santa Fe Sport SE 2.4L AWD (mine)
2016 Accent SE (wife)
How to donate - Let's keep the Club alive!

+Quote Post
Carbon08
post Jun 16 2005, 07:44 AM
Post #27 | Print

Post Maniac
Group Icon
Group: Members
Posts Per Day: 0.21
Thanks Received: 0
Member No.: 17
Mood: Happy

Way to go Roy!

Glad you finally had the experience of using the clay bar.

Those little white dots...I'll take a stab bet that they are underneath the clear and that's why they won't come out. The clay should grab anything that is above the surface and remove it.

I have them as well, and nothing seems to be able to get rid of them. I starting to believe it is another issue with our paint.

Anyway..pictures would be great of the finished job, and maybe a couple of ZOOM pictures of the spots?

thumbsup.gif

--------------------

2008 Elantra GL, Carbon Grey/Black Interior, Automatic

+Quote Post
Gman
post Jun 16 2005, 02:25 PM
Post #28 | Print

Club Regular
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Member No.: 88
Mood: Accomplished

I just claybared my car last week-end for my first show of the year and I love this stuff. The car feels like it is made of glass. The first time I did this two years ago I didn't use enough lube and was very frustrated by the end of the whole process, this time after reading this post I knew to lube it up and it went a lot better. I found that the lighter you press and the more strokes you use the better the results. After hand washing, drying, claying, and wax on and off I got to go over the whole car 5 times. My arm hasn't hurt this much since that week-end they unlocked the Spice channel for free. smile.gif

--------------------

2002 GLS, EGR lip kit, leather from GT - SOLD 12/05 - Miss it everyday :(

+Quote Post
elantragt
post Jun 16 2005, 02:41 PM
Post #29 | Print

Club Founder
Group Icon
Group: Admin
Posts Per Day: 3.03
Thanks Received: 2809
Trader Stats: 16 (100%)
Member No.: 1
Mood: Okay

I have them as well, and nothing seems to be able to get rid of them. I starting to believe it is another issue with our paint.

Yep, I have them too..as well as rock chips and other "defects". I think the main issue with our paint is that it SUCKS! angry-hitselfonhead.gif thumbsdown.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Carbon08
post Jun 16 2005, 03:19 PM
Post #30 | Print

Post Maniac
Group Icon

QUOTE (elantragt @ Jun 16 2005, 03:41 PM)
Yep, I have them too..as well as rock chips and other "defects".  I think the main issue with our paint is that it SUCKS!  angry-hitselfonhead.gif  thumbsdown.gif

Oh Man..you got them too huh? Are they isolated or spread out all over? Mine are all over the freaking car. There so tiny, but since mine are everwhere they look very noticable to my eye.

Once used to think it was due to the tanker truck leakage and overspray I endured way back or the time a guy at the detail shop sprayed wheels with acid and the wind picked it up, but I'm seeing a trend and am now contributing it to SHITTY ASS PAINT!

We should have a poll about how many owners have noticed little white dots or pinhole looking defects in the paint.

angry-hitselfonhead.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Carbon08
post Jun 16 2005, 03:34 PM
Post #31 | Print

Post Maniac
Group Icon

QUOTE (Gearcat @ Jun 16 2005, 04:21 PM)
Now you know why I put a bra on my car.  When it's time for trade in or to sell it, the car will be pristine in front without a single rock chip!  biggrin.gif  The nice part is, I can always take it off for the day if I know I'm not going to be on the highway and eating rocks the entire drive.

Sorry..I was not really talking about stone chips. I have hardly any of those. Some of us have white dots under the paint that is most likely a result of poor paint jobs.

I have the white dots and I have what looks like a million little tiny pin holes.

But yeah..It is a good idea to have some protection like a bra, but in this case it will not do anything for this problem.

Go up to post #25 and that will put you at the start of the white dots topic in case you missed it. thumbsup.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
gpagpa
post Aug 12 2005, 08:33 PM
Post #32 | Print

2002 GT
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Thanks Received: 1
Member No.: 43

FYI: PepBoys has a coupon for the Mothers California Clay Kit for $12, instead of $17.99. The coupon is in the flyer in the front of the store. I was looking for the "blue" clay that was $9.99 that did a good job, but no store had the brand. The Mothers is on sale till the end of August.

--------------------

2002 Pewter GT 5 Speed ABS/TCS-Sunroof

+Quote Post
cclngthr
post Aug 12 2005, 09:04 PM
Post #33 | Print

The teach
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 0.97
Member No.: 426
Mood: Calm

QUOTE (f1guy68 @ Jun 16 2005, 01:19 PM)
Oh Man..you got them too huh? Are they isolated or spread out all over?  Mine are all over the freaking car.  There so tiny, but since mine are everwhere they look very noticable to my eye.

Once used to think it was due to the tanker truck leakage and overspray I endured way back or the time a guy at the detail shop sprayed wheels with acid and the wind picked it up, but I'm seeing a trend and am now contributing it to SHITTY ASS PAINT!

We should have a poll about how many owners have noticed little white dots or pinhole looking defects in the paint.

angry-hitselfonhead.gif

I have seen cars with them and it is hard to get rid of them. They are not below the clear, but on the top layer and whatever causes them have been baked in by the sun. I think they are caused by pollution.

--------------------

"Childhood is measured by sounds and smells and sights before the dark hour of reason grows"
John Betjeman

+Quote Post
gpagpa
post Aug 21 2005, 08:53 PM
Post #34 | Print

2002 GT
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Thanks Received: 1
Member No.: 43

Just got finished claying the car it looks and feels smooth. It was worth the extra elbow grease to get it done, guess I'm set for another year. One question, F1 how do you store the other half of the clay bar and the one that was just used? I remember reading somewhere, and I put both in a zip lock bag with a few squirts of the lubricant in the bag to keep the bar moist. Is this the right way to store the clay after using it? confused-scratchhead3.gif

--------------------

2002 Pewter GT 5 Speed ABS/TCS-Sunroof

+Quote Post
Bigs
post Aug 22 2005, 06:49 AM
Post #35 | Print

I ran out of ideas...
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 1.48
Thanks Received: 31
Member No.: 158
Mood: Indescribable

QUOTE (gpagpa @ Aug 21 2005, 09:53 PM)
Just got finished claying the car it looks and feels smooth.  It was worth the extra elbow grease to get it done, guess I'm set for another year.  One question, F1 how do you store the other half of the clay bar and the one that was just used?  I remember reading somewhere, and I put both in a zip lock bag with a few squirts of the lubricant in the bag to keep the bar moist.  Is this the right way to store the clay after using it? confused-scratchhead3.gif

That's awsome! Another converted one! thumbsup.gif

As for storing it. You can give it a small spray or just leave it as is. I would put "saran wrap it really tight and then ziplock it and remove all the air. That should keep it!

If you have used it and notice it is dirty, I would consider throwing it out. But that's just me!

--------------------

2017 Santa Fe Sport SE 2.4L AWD (mine)
2016 Accent SE (wife)
How to donate - Let's keep the Club alive!

+Quote Post
Carbon08
post Aug 22 2005, 07:25 AM
Post #36 | Print

Post Maniac
Group Icon

QUOTE (gpagpa @ Aug 21 2005, 09:53 PM)
Just got finished claying the car it looks and feels smooth.  It was worth the extra elbow grease to get it done, guess I'm set for another year.  One question, F1 how do you store the other half of the clay bar and the one that was just used?  I remember reading somewhere, and I put both in a zip lock bag with a few squirts of the lubricant in the bag to keep the bar moist.  Is this the right way to store the clay after using it? confused-scratchhead3.gif

Way to go gpagpa! It really is worth the extra time and effort to clay. Nothing like smooooth paint!

How dirty was the clay when done?

thumbsup.gif

QUOTE (Bigs @ Aug 22 2005, 07:49 AM)
That's awsome!  Another converted one!  thumbsup.gif 

As for storing it.  You can give it a small spray or just leave it as is.  I would put "saran wrap it really tight and then ziplock it and remove all the air.  That should keep it!

If you have used it and notice it is dirty, I would consider throwing it out.  But that's just me!

As Bigs said, just a small spray will suffice as a moisturizer. Maybe some wax paper (baking paper if you or your wife has it) wrapped around the clay and then a ziploc bag or saran wrap.

A couple of times I have had the bag or saran wrap stick hard to the clay, so the wax paper acts as a barrier and helps it from sticking!

--------------------

+Quote Post
8 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 user(s) are reading this topic (1 guests and 0 anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Clay towel?
5 elantragt 5,090 20th April 2014 - 08:35 PM
Last post by: Alex2013GT
No New Posts Using the Gated Shifter
10 MEly 2,455 25th July 2010 - 04:05 PM
Last post by: BNystrom
No New Posts Using scan tool
Diagnosing