This is an archived forum community. It's currently closed to new memberships.
ElantraClub - for all generations

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules Overview

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 08 Elantra - Subwoofer and Amplifier wiring, Wiring a subwoofer underneath the driver's seat - got a few questi
Gingee
post Feb 22 2016, 11:41 PM
Post #1 | Print

Club Newbie
Group Icon
Group: Members
Posts Per Day: 0.00
Thanks Received: 0
Trader Stats: 0 (0%)
Member No.: 20,628

Hey guys, first post here - but I'm hoping I can be pointed in the right direction. So I already have an aftermarket head unit installed and I have all the wiring I need - I've done multiple amplifiers and subwoofer installations in the past, but this one seems to be different in terms of the BCM. When I wire the remote lead, should I splice into the Accessory (Yellow) +12V switched output from the car? Would that trigger the BCM/ECU to throw the car into a "lockdown" state? Thank you guys - and one more question. For running the power wire, I bought 8Ga and was hoping I could just remove the driver's side wheel and run it down the fender well. Anyone have experience with doing that? Seems quite straight forward. Thanks for reading!

--------------------

A proud member of the club.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
roydjt
post Feb 23 2016, 09:26 AM
Post #2 | Print

Outta the way!
Group Icon
Group: Leader
Posts Per Day: 0.85
Thanks Received: 272
Trader Stats: 4 (100%)
Member No.: 33
Mood: Cocky

I think you're on the right track. I don't have a schematic in front of me, but the +12V accessory switched wire sounds like the right one to tap in to. Your amp shouldn't draw any current from that wire; it just sees a high voltage and the relay pulls in to turn on the amp. Regarding the power wire, I ran my power wire over the wheel well on my 04 as you describe. On mine there was a plug grommet that went into the driver's side footwell. I poked a hole in the grommet and worked the wire through. 8ga should be fine for a smaller amp. Are you putting the sub under the seat, or just the amp? What kind of gear are you installing?

-Roy

--------------------

"If what Jesus said was good, what can it matter if he was God or not?" - Kurt Vonnegut

+Quote Post
Morsel
post Feb 23 2016, 10:47 AM
Post #3 | Print

Club Regular
Group Icon
Group: Lifetimer
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Thanks Received: 10
Member No.: 19,656

QUOTE (Gingee @ Feb 22 2016, 11:41 PM) *
Hey guys, first post here - but I'm hoping I can be pointed in the right direction. So I already have an aftermarket head unit installed and I have all the wiring I need - I've done multiple amplifiers and subwoofer installations in the past, but this one seems to be different in terms of the BCM. When I wire the remote lead, should I splice into the Accessory (Yellow) +12V switched output from the car? Would that trigger the BCM/ECU to throw the car into a "lockdown" state? Thank you guys - and one more question. For running the power wire, I bought 8Ga and was hoping I could just remove the driver's side wheel and run it down the fender well. Anyone have experience with doing that? Seems quite straight forward. Thanks for reading!

Welcome to the forums. Just curious, but why locate the SUB under the seat? Wouldn't that be a better location for an AMP? I personally, wouldn't want all that vibration rattling my a$$. If anything, put it on the passenger side, where your GF sits biggrin.gif

--------------------

-Christian

I live every day for my wife. She is my world...

+Quote Post
Gingee
post Feb 24 2016, 10:54 AM
Post #4 | Print

Club Newbie
Group Icon
Group: Members
Posts Per Day: 0.00
Thanks Received: 0
Member No.: 20,628

Hey guys, I really do appreciate the fast responses! I wired the remote wire into the existing remote wire circuit that leads to the stock amp and I'm going to run this wire into the amp/sub, obviously. I hope the BCM doesn't throw a fit but I guess it won't judging off your inputs - so thank you for the peace of mind! And the sub is built into the amplifier - I believe the name of it is the B8PTD. It shouldn't destroy the seat with vibration, but we'll see what happens, it comes in at 4 PM today smile.gif

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_777B8PTD/Soun...PTD.html?tp=114

Here's the link to the powered sub. So you guys think the remote wire relay should be okay as well? I'm using an aftermarket head unit - from what I know is what you said - it doesn't pull current, just sees the small voltage and pops the amp on without any damage, and turns it off when the key is off.
I lol'd at your comment ^^.

As for the power wire, the install went well. I have to re-run it this weekend when I have time, I actually pushed it through the top of the grommet without poking a hole, so I'm going to pull it back and re-run it through the grommet with a nice, safe hole compared to running it next to the grommet and leaving a small space open.

--------------------

+Quote Post
roydjt
post Feb 24 2016, 01:06 PM
Post #5 | Print

Outta the way!
Group Icon
Group: Leader
Posts Per Day: 0.85
Thanks Received: 272
Trader Stats: 4 (100%)
Member No.: 33
Mood: Cocky

You're certainly on the right track. You're interpreting the electronics side properly. The BCM shouldn't know the difference in your application. Morsel, as for the under-seat sub, maybe he wants to keep the trunk space and isn't so concerned about "BOOM BOOM", just wants the low-end to fill out a little more. Gingee, if your head unit has a high-pass filter, you will want to use that once your sub is installed. The mains will sound so much better once they aren't being stressed with handling the low-end any more. Please post pics and your impressions of the sound after it's all done!

-Roy

--------------------

"If what Jesus said was good, what can it matter if he was God or not?" - Kurt Vonnegut

+Quote Post
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 user(s) are reading this topic (1 guests and 0 anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Elantra Sport review
4 elantragt 108,486 21st June 2017 - 05:26 PM
Last post by: elantragt
No New Posts 08 Kia Spectra 16x6
3 TheOne2043 1,347 3rd May 2017 - 11:22 AM
Last post by: TheOne2043
No New Posts Subwoofer rattle/interior space woahs-Elantra GLS 2013
2 Hyzzle 958 11th April 2017 - 04:33 PM