This is an archived forum community. It's currently closed to new memberships.
ElantraClub - for all generations

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> cars.com drives the 2009 Elantra Touring, they like it... but...
elantragt
post Nov 2 2008, 11:35 AM
Post #1 | Print

Club Founder
Group Icon
Group: Admin
Posts Per Day: 3.03
Thanks Received: 2809
Trader Stats: 16 (100%)
Member No.: 1
Mood: Okay

They say the wagon is nice overall but (and I knew this would be the problem) other cars for the same money are sexier and more fun. They shoulda brought the i30 hatch over instead but they never listen to me! lol

Two weeks ago I got the chance to drive an early version of the Elantra Touring due out later this year. I was impressed with the little wagon as were others on our staff like Bill Jackson, our resident Weekend Athlete. We’ll be posting a video with his thoughts on this car in the near future, but for my initial impressions and a photo gallery keep reading.

I enjoyed driving this economy car a lot more than I thought I would. Besides a lot of buzzy engine noise — it’s amazing how you rarely hear buzzy engines anymore — the little wagon did everything right. The ride was comfortable, and there wasn’t a lot of road noise. The manual transmission was a joy with light clutch feel and smooth shifter.

As a package, the Touring seemed a bit nicer inside than the Elantra sedan. The backseats folded flat with one button, and there was a lot of cargo room. But I was shocked by the starting price of nearly $18,000 for a manual transmission. Although Hyundai hasn’t announced its official pricing yet, there was a sticker inside our test car, so I assume the price is accurate.

While the Elantra Touring is a nifty economy wagon, the Scion xB offers more utility and style, the Pontiac Vibe is more fun to drive, and a base Subaru Impreza gives you all-wheel drive. And all can be had for a similar price. Economy car indeed.

--------------------

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Alex2013GT
post Nov 2 2008, 12:01 PM
Post #2 | Print

GT for life!
Group Icon
Group: VIP Members
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Thanks Received: 478
Trader Stats: 2 (100%)
Member No.: 34
Mood: Optimistic

What a shame. . . the front end of that car looks really nice, unfortunately the back does nothing for me.

--------------------

Please consider helping keep the club online and independent. Donate here to help the club.

Current Car: 2013 Hyundai Elantra GT, 6 spd manual w/ the style and tech packages
Previous Hyundai's: 2011 Hyundai Sonata SE in Venetian Red; 2006 Hyundai Sonata GLS, 3.3L V-6 in Ebony Black; 2004 Elantra GT, 5 spd manual in tidal wave blue

+Quote Post
LDub
post Nov 2 2008, 01:05 PM
Post #3 | Print

Club Regular
Group Icon
Group: Members
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Thanks Received: 0
Member No.: 1,584
Mood: Accomplished

The Elantra Touring isn't going to do much. Like everyone here's said all along, they should have brought over the sportier hatch, instead of the wagon. Hyundai is extremely poor at offering sporty models of their everyday vehicles. The Vibe, Matrix, Impreza, 3, etc. all have sporty models/trim levels that blow away anything available on the Elantra. You'd think that the popularity of the Elantra GT would have given them a clue (not that the GT was amazingly sporty compared to the GLS, but you get the idea).

--------------------

You know THAT'S true!

+Quote Post
cclngthr
post Nov 2 2008, 01:22 PM
Post #4 | Print

The teach
Group Icon
Group: Lifetimer
Posts Per Day: 0.97
Trader Stats: 0 (0%)
Member No.: 426
Mood: Calm

QUOTE (LDub @ Nov 2 2008, 11:05 AM) *
The Elantra Touring isn't going to do much. Like everyone here's said all along, they should have brought over the sportier hatch, instead of the wagon. Hyundai is extremely poor at offering sporty models of their everyday vehicles. The Vibe, Matrix, Impreza, 3, etc. all have sporty models/trim levels that blow away anything available on the Elantra. You'd think that the popularity of the Elantra GT would have given them a clue (not that the GT was amazingly sporty compared to the GLS, but you get the idea).

I can partially understand the choices they make. They want Hyundai to be more luxury and leave the sportiness to Kia. Although that can benefit the car brand, but it also can work in ways that limits the sales to a point for each brand.

--------------------

"Childhood is measured by sounds and smells and sights before the dark hour of reason grows"
John Betjeman

+Quote Post
afob3
post Nov 2 2008, 08:42 PM
Post #5 | Print

Poster Pro
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Thanks Received: 52
Member No.: 640
Mood: Awake

I have my name on the list to be called when it comes in to the local dealer. I like it bc I need a 5 door for the utility. I also think the interior is very nice. That said, there are other contenders out there. We already know it is very unlikely that my wife will be picking up another Hyundai when her lease is up on the van.

--------------------

Change is the ONLY constant.
www.unitegriefsupport.org ________ www.familyobrien.net

+Quote Post
Doohickie
post Nov 2 2008, 09:16 PM
Post #6 | Print

Club Expert
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 0.77
Thanks Received: 60
Member No.: 1,380
Mood: Cranky

QUOTE (Alex2004GT @ Nov 2 2008, 12:01 PM) *
What a shame. . . the front end of that car looks really nice, unfortunately the back does nothing for me.

So... you're an @ss man, huh?

--------------------

A proud member of the club.

+Quote Post
RHINESEL
post Nov 2 2008, 11:42 PM
Post #7 | Print

PhD in Intellectual Intercourse
Group Icon
Member No.: 1,187
Mood: Crotchety

I think the price will be more of an issue than the looks. Hyundai is going for boring conservative daily driver. Most of the population will fall into that category.

The problem is that you need to draw young (and by "young" I'm going up to 40) into the brand and the best way to do this is to offer sportier offerings on your base models. That's why we have the Si, S series, R-Types, Evo's, WRX's, ect.

--------------------

19 mm sway bar, easy intake mod with K&N filter, Pioneer DEH P4800MP, DC Strut Bar, Brushed Aluminum Dash Kit.

+Quote Post
cclngthr
post Nov 3 2008, 12:33 AM
Post #8 | Print

The teach
Group Icon

QUOTE (RHINESEL @ Nov 2 2008, 09:42 PM) *
I think the price will be more of an issue than the looks. Hyundai is going for boring conservative daily driver. Most of the population will fall into that category.

The problem is that you need to draw young (and by "young" I'm going up to 40) into the brand and the best way to do this is to offer sportier offerings on your base models. That's why we have the Si, S series, R-Types, Evo's, WRX's, ect.

That is where the Genesis Coup and Tiburon come into play. The Elantra wasn't marketed for a single youngun.

--------------------

"Childhood is measured by sounds and smells and sights before the dark hour of reason grows"
John Betjeman

+Quote Post
MEly
post Nov 3 2008, 12:35 AM
Post #9 | Print

The "other" Marc
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Thanks Received: 6
Trader Stats: 3 (100%)
Member No.: 4,135
Mood: Exhausted

QUOTE (RHINESEL @ Nov 3 2008, 12:42 AM) *

Absolutely. Couldn't agree with you more. Having said that - Hyundai's managed to avoid most of the economic concerns of late... maybe this will continue to help them stave it off.... in some sort of strange way.

--------------------

A proud member of the club.

+Quote Post
cclngthr
post Nov 3 2008, 12:55 AM
Post #10 | Print

The teach
Group Icon

QUOTE (MEly @ Nov 2 2008, 10:35 PM) *
Absolutely. Couldn't agree with you more. Having said that - Hyundai's managed to avoid most of the economic concerns of late... maybe this will continue to help them stave it off.... in some sort of strange way.

I wonder if that might have been preplanned in some way? With GM losing financially (among other companies), it might be that Hyundai somehow saw a financial mess in the making when it started 2 years ago.

--------------------

John Betjeman

+Quote Post
RHINESEL
post Nov 3 2008, 02:52 AM
Post #11 | Print

PhD in Intellectual Intercourse
Group Icon
Member No.: 1,187
Mood: Crotchety

QUOTE (cclngthr @ Nov 3 2008, 12:33 AM) *
That is where the Genesis Coup and Tiburon come into play. The Elantra wasn't marketed for a single youngun.

Yeah, not many entry level youngsters getting into a Genesis Coupe. And isn't the Tib going away in 2009?

Even something like Ford's SVT program or Mazdaspeed type of setup would be a start.

Hell, just give a second engine choice and you'll have people jumping for joy.

--------------------

19 mm sway bar, easy intake mod with K&N filter, Pioneer DEH P4800MP, DC Strut Bar, Brushed Aluminum Dash Kit.

+Quote Post
cobas
post Nov 3 2008, 05:10 PM
Post #12 | Print

Nanomember
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 1.11
Thanks Received: 57
Member No.: 106
Mood: Blah

Price numbers don't mean so much right now. My parents just got a "$19,520" MSRP '08 Tuscon for $16,500. Sure $2,000 of that was a factory rebate on outgoing '08 models, but the other $1000? They didn't even haggle. They want these cars gone because their sales are down 31% from last year. So if the Elantra SE currently MSRPs at $16,670, and the Touring is basically that and more, I'd believe MSRP $17,995 or something. But they'll tack on rebates and bring that down to $16,995 to start the negociation there.

--------------------

Help keep ElantraClub running and free for all Elantra owners: Donate.

+Quote Post
2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 user(s) are reading this topic (1 guests and 0 anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No new Topic has attachmentsThe stay in touch thread
58 elantragt 187,673 29th July 2023 - 02:09 AM
Last post by: natesi
No New Posts Elantra Sport review
4 elantragt 109,148 21st June 2017 - 05:26 PM
Last post by: elantragt
No New Posts The new Elantra GT is on it's way
6 elantragt 129,108 21st June 2017 - 08:11 AM
Last post by: elantraelite
No new Pinned: Topic has attachmentsThe Official EC bike thread!
286 popeye 10,202 29th May 2017 - 11:33 AM
Last post by: elantragt
No new The Story of My 2000 Elantra
30 wizewun 46,618 26th January 2017 - 07:32 PM
Last post by: popeye

Copyright 2022 The Elantra Club    
Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 12:04 AM
Elantra Club is not affiliated in any way with Hyundai Motor America