This is an archived forum community. It's currently closed to new memberships.
ElantraClub - for all generations

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules Overview

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Hyundai dips toe in high-end market
Vinnie
post Mar 24 2013, 11:25 AM
Post #1 | Print

Elantra Guru
Group Icon
Group: Leader
Posts Per Day: 0.62
Thanks Received: 558
Trader Stats: 0 (0%)
Member No.: 7,533
Mood: Evil

If the name Hyundai evokes an image of low-cost econoboxes, you may want to check out the Korean carmaker’s nearest showroom. Prepare to be surprised.

At next week’s New York Auto Show, Hyundai will spotlight the 2014 Equus, the mid-cycle update of its premium-luxury sedan. The sedan will compete with high-end makes, such as the Mercedes-Benz S-Class and BMW 7-Series.

Although you can buy a basic Hyundai Accent for $15,000, a fully-equipped Equus will nudge you over the $70,000 mark.

Don’t expect much of a discount at the dealer. The average Hyundai went out the door with givebacks around $1,420, according to data gathered by TrueCar.com, a lower figure than any other major manufacturer but Honda.

The good news for Hyundai is that it broke its all-time sales record last year, and did it again in January and February. The bad news is that it is losing market share because it can’t keep up with the pace of the U.S. automotive recovery.

“We just can’t build anymore,” Hyundai Motor America CEO John Krafcik said in San Diego, where he was presiding over the first media drive of the new 3-row 2014 Hyundai Santa Fe crossover-utility vehicle. “We’re just out of production capacity.”

In recent months, Hyundai dealers have had to get by with about half the 60- to 65-days of inventory considered normal in the automotive business.

(“A tough problem to have,” smirks analyst Joe Phillippi of AutoTrends Consulting.)

This has allowed Hyundai to trim its incentives and allowed dealers to prey on a “scarcity value” to fend off the bargain shoppers of Hyundai’s past. The average transaction price – the actual figure the typical customer paid after working in discounts and options – jumped by 5 percent, year-over-year, to $22,549 in February, according to TrueCar.

The "butterfly doors" distinguish the HND-9 sports coupe from other recent Hyundai concepts.

Phillippi and other analysts say they’re surprised by Hyundai’s success. It’s been just four months since the maker – and its Korean sibling Kia -- acknowledged the two brands fudged test results and would have to restate the fuel economy numbers on 13 different models, some by six miles per gallon.

Since then, the Korean makers have settled a lawsuit and agreed to provide substantial reimbursement to the 900,000 owners affected.

Hyundai’s transition from a fire sale brand has required a shift in focus that began by targeting once-endemic quality problems and backing that up with an industry-leading, 10-year warranty program. The maker has steadily gained ground in a variety of third-party measures, notably the quality and customer service surveys by J.D. Power and Associates. The current version of the Equus outscored Lexus, the overall top brand in Power’s latest Customer Service Index.

That has Hyundai management confident they can continue to expand their presence in the luxury market. The maker will show off what it describes as a “luxury sports coupe concept,” the HND-9, at the Seoul Motor Show next week. While the unusual “butterfly doors” are likely a show gimmick, industry observers expect the HND-9 is a clear hint of new products to come.

That gets back to the question of where to build the cars. Hyundai has added a third shift at its Alabama factory Alabama and it has crossovers rolling out of the Kia plant in Georgia.

While Krafcik says there are “no plans, yet,” for adding more capacity in the U.S., analysts like Phillippi stress that could change quickly. The Koreans appear to be using the moment as an opportunity to decide whether to expand, and few would be surprised if an announcement didn’t come sometime this year.

But Hyundai has learned from watching competitors’ mistakes, especially when it comes to overstocking. The goal, Krafcik says, is to follow the strategy of the most successful luxury brands, and “always be one car short of demand.”

http://www.nbcnews.com/business/hyundai-di...arket-1B9032162source: http://www.nbcnews.com/business/hyundai-dips-toe-high-end-market-1B9032162

--------------------

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
1 members thank Vinnie for this post
Red Elantra GT
Silentwolf
post Mar 25 2013, 02:20 PM
Post #2 | Print

2006 GLS Hatch
Group Icon
Group: Lifetimer
Posts Per Day: 1.02
Thanks Received: 87
Trader Stats: 3 (100%)
Member No.: 2,051
Mood: Accomplished

Makes me glad I got Hunter when I did in 06 for 13.5k. Nowdays when I can crossshop 2-3 others within a thousand dollars or so of a same segment Hyundai, it looses a lot of the advantage except warranty (but then you have to deal with service writer arguments if you have mods done)

--------------------

Hunter: An 06 5-Door GLS w/ items now too numerous to mention here. Check them out in my garage!

+Quote Post
mlumz
post Mar 25 2013, 05:57 PM
Post #3 | Print

Sleep is for the weak!
Group Icon
Group: Leader
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Thanks Received: 197
Trader Stats: 8 (100%)
Member No.: 250
Mood: Stressed

I know, my mom got a 2013 Hyundai accent a few months ago way more than I paid for my 05 EGT out the door. There seems to be less haggling with such great cars and such high demand.

--------------------

A proud member of the club.

+Quote Post
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 user(s) are reading this topic (2 guests and 0 anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Hyundai ATF SPF-III and Synthetic Mobil One 5W30 - 4 Quart bottles - $10
Plus engine and cabin air filters - Pick up or ship
0 olidx 854 25th October 2016 - 05:35 PM
Last post by: olidx
No New Posts Installed OBX pulleys
3 2000J25SP 1,459 3rd April 2016 - 06:04 PM
Last post by: 2000J25SP
No New Posts Hyundai surprisingly dropping the Sonata
5 elantragt 16,081 2nd April 2016 - 09:52 AM
Last post by: elantragt
No New Posts Install a/c
Install a/c
6 dsrbgal 17,172 31st October 2015 - 09:00 PM