This is an archived forum community. It's currently closed to new memberships.
ElantraClub - for all generations

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules Overview
15 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> engine dead in my 01 GLS debating a v6 swap vs. another 4
Rating 5 V
dl01V6elantra
post Aug 6 2010, 11:59 PM
Post #1 | Print

Club Regular
Group Icon
Group: Lifetimer
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Thanks Received: 8
Trader Stats: 0 (0%)
Member No.: 6,161
Mood: Accomplished

My name is Dave, I am 21 and have had my Elantra since I purchased it from my grandfather at 17. I have been hovering the boards here and at elantraxd, have a few posts there. So, about two weeks ago I had catastrophic failure in my engine (car has auto trans.), and now need to replace it with another 4 banger w/ manual trans. or possibly a v6 tib engine with a 6 speed manual. I am not interested in forced induction, I repeat I am not interested in forced induction (at least till I am out of college, lol). Currently I deliver food for a bbq place, so I do not want the headaches of a turbo or sc . The most performance iIwill be going for at this time with the v6 will be full exhaust and intake. Maybe i will try and shed her weight since she will be gaining a little. I also need tires currently and the trans. is also on its way out. I feel as long as it can be easily done then it would be worth picking up a wrecked Tib with good engine, trans, axles, etc. No matter what route I take I will be doing the work along with some good friends. We all have knowledge within the field so I am not worried about doing the work. Currently, I am most concerned about the engine/trans mounts and the wiring. Do the mounts need to be moved? I would think not, if Hyundai was smart. Can I just throw the computer from the Tib in my car, wire everything up, and go? Or will I have to change things like key cylinder in steering column then also etacs, etc.? Also I am curious if anyone can give me a good guess at how much room is between the engine and the radiator support (elantra with v6 swap), my guess is 1.5" to 2" but i have really no idea. Reason being I have an evo radiator in the car, which if I remember correctly it is a 2" core with .5" slim fans. I can just reverse wires and make them push if I think I have 2" of room. I can always make it fit if I have to but the less work it adds the better. I do know someone with a welder, but I don't want to do anything too insane - well, somewhat maybe. Depends on your def. of insane. Obviously, clutch pedal has to be put in. I also will of course use the Tib seats and all that good stuff. I realize like a few people in Korea have done this and someone else is currently doing it on elantraxd (project is paused for the moment if I am not mistaken). I really want to do the swap to know the benefits (if any) of this swap for all of us and I think it may soon be a swap that is easily achievable. No matter what, I will document the v6 swap or auto to manual 4 banger, for the info or just enjoyment. I know I will not loose any performance by doing this, so I am not worried about performance as much as what car I buy for the swap.

Edit: radiator is 3" core 1" slim fans

This post has been edited by NevynPA: Jun 20 2011, 11:23 AM

--------------------

A proud member of the club.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ken45
post Aug 7 2010, 12:44 AM
Post #2 | Print

Post Maniac
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 0.21
Thanks Received: 11
Trader Stats: 1 (100%)
Member No.: 1,795
Mood: Curious

It would be easer to buy a manual transmission car then to do the auto to manual swap. But if you got the place the time
and the money go for it.

Ken

--------------------

R.I.P. my love Shelley K.

+Quote Post
dl01V6elantra
post Aug 7 2010, 12:46 AM
Post #3 | Print

Club Regular
Group Icon

I have an auto elantra and i want to buy a v6 tib. 6spd. I am going manual whether i go 4 or 6.

--------------------

+Quote Post
mlumz
post Aug 7 2010, 01:39 AM
Post #4 | Print

Sleep is for the weak!
Group Icon
Group: Leader
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Thanks Received: 197
Trader Stats: 8 (100%)
Member No.: 250
Mood: Stressed

The past discussions on swapping out a v6 tib engine have concluded with it costing too much money (like several thousand). So basically buy a car with a v6 if you want it. On the auto trans to manual trans is possible, and i know pete is currently working on it now.

--------------------

+Quote Post
dl01V6elantra
post Aug 7 2010, 03:21 AM
Post #5 | Print

Club Regular
Group Icon

I find wrecked tibs for $2000 with a good engine, trans, axles, everything i would need to do it. Unless I am forgetting something, then i don't foresee any problems other then possibly the mounts needing to be moved and the wiring really. And in this case the radiator, but a stock radiator isn't expensive (I would love to keep this evo radiator if i can). Labor is free, and tell you the truth I would love to take the time and wire this thing up. I just want to figure out if i can interchange computers with out to many problems and wire everything in. I don't even think there should be any problems there unless for some reason the only way to do it is to remap the ecu, which i can't do. I am currently trying to contact genocider to get more info.

--------------------

+Quote Post
NevynPA
post Aug 7 2010, 12:31 PM
Post #6 | Print

EClub Live Chat for Life!
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Thanks Received: 126
Trader Stats: 2 (100%)
Member No.: 8,215
Mood: Sick

The mounts need moved, the wiring, cutting in the firewall possibly for the clutch pedal assembly, the master/slave cylinder lines will need shaped. That's what I can think of off the top.

--------------------

ElantraClub - This isn't just a site you visit. It's something you're a part of.

+Quote Post
streetfighterguy
post Aug 7 2010, 01:34 PM
Post #7 | Print

Insert title here
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Thanks Received: 19
Member No.: 7,980
Mood: Exhausted

Well i don't think the engine swap would be that hard if your motivated. I am still waiting for my car to get out of the shop because i just had the I4 built to withstand any amount of stupid i want to do to it and it should be getting more Hp then the V6 without forced induction. But if you have the desire to do it by all means it would be a cool car to have out on the road. I think the engine compartments are about the same for the Elantra and the Tibby cause everytime i work on my buddies V6 i really don't see a difference under the hood besides he has less room with the V6.

Don't worry about the cost if that is what you want, I know mine is going to cost alot but in the end i get to thumb my nose at the nay sayers.

--------------------

Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.

+Quote Post
only1db
post Aug 7 2010, 03:51 PM
Post #8 | Print

Elantra Guru
Group Icon
Group: Members
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Thanks Received: 59
Member No.: 2,023

if you have the whole front clip from a v6 tib...it would be rather easy to do...the only thing i would be consered with would be the wiring harhness becuase it goes everywhere! and is on the opposite side of the car. you would have to use the v6 ecu.

motor, tranny(i would go with the 5spd v6..too many issues with the 6spd), subframe? (not sure its any different to be honest)v6 axels, v6 hubs (you could just use the whole knuckle assy and not worry about it and the brakes would be right there as well)

and you would have to get the mid section welded up to the catback. but other than that it would be rather a bolt in affair.

btw you can use the same rad

--------------------

Silver Certified Hyundai Tech turned Sonographer...and blogger?? check it out! All Things Hyundai!

+Quote Post
Doohickie
post Aug 7 2010, 08:25 PM
Post #9 | Print

Club Expert
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 0.77
Thanks Received: 60
Trader Stats: 2 (100%)
Member No.: 1,380
Mood: Cranky

QUOTE (dl01elantra @ Aug 6 2010, 11:59 PM) *
I am not interested in forced induction, i repeat i am not interested in forced induction (at least till i am out of college lol). Currently i deliver food for a bbq place, so i do not want the headaches of a turbo or sc .

And you think doing a V6 swap will be easier than putting a turbo in?

You're nuckin' futs.

--------------------

+Quote Post
only1db
post Aug 7 2010, 08:27 PM
Post #10 | Print

Elantra Guru
Group Icon
Group: Members
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Thanks Received: 59
Member No.: 2,023

yes and no...because once the v6 is in place it will be just as reliable as anything else that is OEM. the turbo set up not so much (unless you get the full jattus kit and have somebody who knows how to set up the SMT-6 wll you more than likely NOT have an issue)

what would be really cool would be to supercharge it after its installed!

one last thing i forgot to mention....you WILL need to swap out your suspension too! the extra weight upfront will throw up the balance of hte car with the XD spring and strut combo.

--------------------

Silver Certified Hyundai Tech turned Sonographer...and blogger?? check it out! All Things Hyundai!

+Quote Post
dl01V6elantra
post Aug 7 2010, 09:59 PM
Post #11 | Print

Club Regular
Group Icon

QUOTE (Doohickie @ Aug 7 2010, 09:25 PM) *
And you think doing a V6 swap will be easier than putting a turbo in?

You're nuckin' futs.

No but in the end the V6 swap would be easier to make reliable, then if i went with a 4 with forced induction. At the moment I don't really feel like building a 4 that can make some decent power right. I don't even think ill do anything to the v6 other then full exhaust (keeping it single for the time being but not stock) and a intake. I want to go cold air but i have to design a decent box that will keep water away as the car will be lowered (not as low as it is now). At the moment though i have an awesome idea for an alternative cai using a much hated (by me and probably many others)ebay piece. If i wanted forced induction i would def get a 4 and put a turbo on it, but i need the car to be reliable. Studying a lot of pictures online and i gotta say it looks like an easy swap to me, possibly not having to move any mounts other then trans.

only1db do you think mounts need to be moved. I only see maybe if anything a little adjustment needed, but i don't think i will have to. Maybe just the trans.

Ya i knew the whole suspension would, wanted the struts anyway. Mine are currently stock with a ground control kit so they are shit now. Also i guess fuel pump or does the tib use the same one, would think not but idk?

also you do think the evo radiator will fit? i think it will be close but i guess it probably will.

and yes i am nuckin' futs

This post has been edited by dl01elantra: Aug 7 2010, 10:13 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
streetfighterguy
post Aug 7 2010, 11:32 PM
Post #12 | Print

Insert title here
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Thanks Received: 19
Member No.: 7,980
Mood: Exhausted

It would be easier for you to just build the I4 then stuff a Jattus Turbo kit on there... But i have seen some really really nice V6's on KFX performance and everything else you want to build a strong motor. I bet if you talk to them they could even tell you how to stuff it in the Elantra.

If i remember the Elantra and the Tibby are the same inside the engine compartment so the whole moving things around shouldn't be such a consern but there might be a bit of a difference between the I4 and V6, if the brackets need to get moved just find a good welder to do the work for you.

I did two other cars before with bigger engines so it shouldn't be too hard for you to do with a car that was designed to fit the motor to begin with.

--------------------

Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.

+Quote Post
15 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 user(s) are reading this topic (2 guests and 0 anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Another OEM Nav upgrade?
0 Docnoisewater 1,235 2nd March 2017 - 09:35 PM
Last post by: Docnoisewater
No New Posts My 2017 AD Elantra RS (Yes RS) :)-
4 billy4u 65,618 26th January 2017 - 09:16 PM
Last post by: elantragt
No new My Elantra MD Lowered on ARK GT-F Lowering Springs
27 TeamARK 9,057 7th October 2016 - 09:18 AM
Last post by: AKENT
No New Posts Topic has attachmentsMy New 2016 Forte EX!!
9 Babyhyundai05 22,077 24th June 2016 - 08:51 PM
Last post by: Babyhyundai05
No New Posts GLS / GL interior
front center panel AC
0 LawDaddy 11,537 4th April 2016 - 06:31 PM
Last post by: LawDaddy

Copyright 2022 The Elantra Club    
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:19 AM
Elantra Club is not affiliated in any way with Hyundai Motor America