This is an archived forum community. It's currently closed to new memberships.
ElantraClub - for all generations

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules Overview
16 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Repaired Write Off. Time for a Detail
Rating 5 V
Bobzilla
post Sep 3 2010, 01:22 PM
Post #13 | Print

Proud GLT Owner
Group Icon
Group: Lifetimer
Posts Per Day: 3.03
Thanks Received: 633
Trader Stats: 3 (100%)
Member No.: 532
Mood: Hyper

wAIT.... you guys got 4dr hatch Accents? WTF?

--------------------

Founding Member of the Indiana Chapter of the Teeny Weeny Club for Secure Adult Males

"Drag racing is for fast cars, and autocrossing is for fast drivers" -Toecutter
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Rocket
post Sep 3 2010, 01:30 PM
Post #14 | Print

Club Regular
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Thanks Received: 16
Trader Stats: 0 (0%)
Member No.: 8,992
Mood: Content

Funny you should mention that. As i navigate this Forum it is amazing that Hyundai have different products line ups per country.

For example, i had never heard of a GT Elantra or Touring Elantra. I think here we only had the GLS and Elite.

Even came across an Elantra interior that has woodgrain inserts on the Dash and Steering Wheel. Gotta get one of those Steering Wheels.

Rocket.

--------------------

2006 XD 2.0 HVT Auto

Photobucket album - hail damaged cars
http://s244.photobucket.com/albums/gg34/ro...damaged%20Cars/

+Quote Post
Bobzilla
post Sep 3 2010, 01:36 PM
Post #15 | Print

Proud GLT Owner
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 3.03
Thanks Received: 633
Trader Stats: 3 (100%)
Member No.: 532
Mood: Hyper

We also can't have the CRDi either.... I want one of those BAD.

--------------------

Founding Member of the Indiana Chapter of the Teeny Weeny Club for Secure Adult Males

"Drag racing is for fast cars, and autocrossing is for fast drivers" -Toecutter

+Quote Post
sarge
post Sep 3 2010, 05:48 PM
Post #16 | Print

CarPuter Masta!
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 1.04
Thanks Received: 130
Trader Stats: 11 (100%)
Member No.: 4,300
Mood: Relaxed

wow - a 5dr Accent!

The Touring is comparable to the i30cw in other places

It's also amazing that the 07+ Elantra in the states doesn't come with any body/lip kit where in Canada the Sport version comes with a sweeet lip kit! Think that's also available down under.. smile.gif

--------------------

carPC Build Thread | My Elantra Site | My Fiero Site | My WebSite | Donate here to keep ElantraClub online and growing.

+Quote Post
Rocket
post Sep 4 2010, 08:37 AM
Post #17 | Print

Club Regular
Group Icon

Hi sarge, Thanks for the tip about the shoe polish. Tried it out today and found it works a treat.

Will post a review on the correct Thread, but here is a shot of the car and a sneak preview of the result - Note i have only done the side strips at this stage.

Rocket.

This post has been edited by Rocket: Sep 4 2010, 08:37 AM

--------------------

2006 XD 2.0 HVT Auto

+Quote Post
Bigs
post Sep 4 2010, 10:48 AM
Post #18 | Print

I ran out of ideas...
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 1.48
Thanks Received: 31
Member No.: 158
Mood: Indescribable

QUOTE (Bobzilla @ Sep 3 2010, 02:22 PM) *
wAIT.... you guys got 4dr hatch Accents? WTF?

They sold them here also for 1 or 2 seasons! Was called the Accent 5! No very popular.

Welcome Rocket!

--------------------

2017 Santa Fe Sport SE 2.4L AWD (mine)
2016 Accent SE (wife)
How to donate - Let's keep the Club alive!

+Quote Post
Alex2013GT
post Sep 4 2010, 08:21 PM
Post #19 | Print

GT for life!
Group Icon
Group: VIP Members
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Thanks Received: 478
Trader Stats: 2 (100%)
Member No.: 34
Mood: Optimistic

Rocket, I'm a little late to the game (been MIA the last couple days) but welcome and it looks like you already made yourself at home in our club thumbsup.gif Looks like you are doing some great work on those Hyundai's over there! That Mustang is also very sweet. Keep the pics a coming takepicture.gif

--------------------

Please consider helping keep the club online and independent. Donate here to help the club.

Current Car: 2013 Hyundai Elantra GT, 6 spd manual w/ the style and tech packages
Previous Hyundai's: 2011 Hyundai Sonata SE in Venetian Red; 2006 Hyundai Sonata GLS, 3.3L V-6 in Ebony Black; 2004 Elantra GT, 5 spd manual in tidal wave blue

+Quote Post
Rocket
post Sep 5 2010, 12:03 AM
Post #20 | Print

Club Regular
Group Icon

QUOTE (Bigs @ Sep 5 2010, 01:18 AM) *
They sold them here also for 1 or 2 seasons! Was called the Accent 5! No very popular.

Welcome Rocket!

G`day Bigs, Thanks for replying. Seems you are the Detailing Guru here. Look forward to communicating with you. I still have a lot to learn!

The Accent was a very popular car here in Australia, in fact probably more so than the Elantra. When the new 2007 model Accent was introduced the shape of the car lost its appeal for many, but thankfully Hyundais newest generation of cars are very nice looking and i think they are winning many people over again. The i45 is a stunning looking car - but the prices have been increased a fair bit. Personally i could not afford a new one at the current pricing. Maybe we will get some more Hailstorms - then i can buy one.

Rocket.

QUOTE (Alex2004GT @ Sep 5 2010, 10:51 AM) *
Rocket, I'm a little late to the game (been MIA the last couple days) but welcome and it looks like you already made yourself at home in our club thumbsup.gif Looks like you are doing some great work on those Hyundai's over there! That Mustang is also very sweet. Keep the pics a coming takepicture.gif

G`day Alex, Glad you like the work we are doing. By the look of the black Elantra in your signature - i think you know a lot about Detailing. That car looks incredible.

The Mustang Grande Coupe is an exceptional car, and is one of a few that we have. If you like photos and can forgive my indulgence - here are some more of our cars -

A 1968 Convertible we painted earlier this year

A 1969 Vert that my son is restoring for his wife

A 1964 1/2 Coupe we recently completed. This one is Right hand Drive

And a Mach1 that we are about to commence Restoring

My 1968 Coupe

Guess that is enough for now.
Copping it in the neck from my missus - have to go and make some doors for her new kitchen cupboards. Will try and start the polishing job on the Elantra while the CNC router is doing its job.

Rocket.

This post has been edited by Rocket: Sep 5 2010, 12:11 AM

--------------------

2006 XD 2.0 HVT Auto

+Quote Post
Rocket
post Sep 5 2010, 06:39 AM
Post #21 | Print

Club Regular
Group Icon

[/size]
Time to get on with it.

unsure.gif

[size="1"]

Made a start on polishing the Elantra this arvo - sort of!

First job when machine polishing a car is to tape off the exterior trim. This makes the final clean up a whole lot easier. No need to remove polish residue from the trim if you do not get it on there in the first place. Taped up the front of the car -

Then prepared for some serious work -

The Polishing machine to be used for this job is a Flex fixed rotation orbital polisher. If you do not know of this machine, here is a Link to explain it -
http://paintcare-n-detailing.com/review/flex/

I prefer to use Menzerna polishes for this work. Here is a link to Menzerna products.
http://www.menzernausa.com/menzerna-automotive.htm
Menzerna polishes give a beautiful shine to a cars paintwork. As i drive around and check out the nicely polished cars, i can always pick a car that has that "Menzerna" look.

Pads of choice are Lake Country CCS Pads. Have been using these for several years. They do a superb job. There are half a dozen different pads which are used for the various requirements of a polishing job. Here is a Link to Autogeeks description of each colour pad -
http://www.autogeek.net/ccs-polishing-how-to.html

This Elantra has already had a scuff and been buffed with Farecla cutting compound so does not need an aggressive polish. So stage1 of the job will be a White Polishing pad with Menzerna P203S polish. Stage 2 will use a green plishing /finishing pad with Menzerna P106FF final finishing polish, and for stage3 a black finishing pad with Menzerna P0 85RD Refining polish.

This will take about 12-15 hours of polishing, before the application of Sealant and Wax. However i am not off to a good start. today i figured on polishing the front of the car while the CNC router was cutting the MDF doors for my wife -

As i began polishing the bonnet, little pieces of MDF dust were landing on it. Oh shyte! Could not continue or i would have put scratches into the paint. Bugger! Through the week i can only get in an hour or so polishing each night. It is going to take a bit of time to get this job done.

Rocket.

This post has been edited by Rocket: Sep 5 2010, 06:41 AM

--------------------

2006 XD 2.0 HVT Auto

+Quote Post
Bigs
post Sep 7 2010, 10:02 AM
Post #22 | Print

I ran out of ideas...
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 1.48
Thanks Received: 31
Member No.: 158
Mood: Indescribable

Bastard has a Flex polisher.... I hate you now... tongue.gif I guess my PC will have to do for now! smile.gif

--------------------

2017 Santa Fe Sport SE 2.4L AWD (mine)
2016 Accent SE (wife)
How to donate - Let's keep the Club alive!

+Quote Post
Rocket
post Sep 8 2010, 06:17 AM
Post #23 | Print

Club Regular
Group Icon

Hi Bigs, The Flex is a much prized posession. But the silly part about it is this - In Australia the Flex now costs in excess of $800, yet i see it advertised on USA sites for around $300. That is one huge price difference.
I bought mine several years ago for $670 and had to argue long and hard to get that price because they had only just increased the price, and i had previously been quoted the lower price.

The Flex takes a lot longer to polish a car than the rotary, but i find it much easier to handle than the Makita Rotary.

The Porter Cable machine has a lot of good reviews too, although we do not have it in Australia that i am aware of. No point importing one because our power requirements are different to the USA.

Rocket.

Well....... How things change in one day! Bugger!

Last night i managed to spend a couple of hours in the garage buffing the Elantra. It was quality time. Gave the bonnet, top of the guards and front bumper a 3 stage Menzerna polish. Came up great, and intended to go right around the car over a couple of hours each night. Here is how the front was looking -

Ah - that familiar Menzerna shine, soft, luxurious and deep.

But finishing the job was not to be! We received a phone call from our office managers father to say he had just been T Boned at a set of traffic lights. He drives an immaculate 2006 XD Elantra which he purchased new. The old bloke had just fitted a nice set of alloy wheels to it a couple of weeks ago. The car is Toast. No chance of repairing it. Now these people are very kind natured and would give you the shirt off their back in an instant. So without hesitation i offered him the use of my Elantra while he sorts out the insurance. so tonight upon arriving home i gave the car a quick wax with P21S 100% Carnauba Wax to protect the freshly polished areas -

Late this arvo they were talking of buying my Elantra, so i possibly will not get it back. Bugger! I had wanted one of these cars for a long time. So i logged onto the Auction sites and found a couple going up for sale late this week. Hail damaged like the other one. Here are the cars -

They are both 5 speed manuals, both have alloy wheels and both have the same type of rear spoiler. Do not like the spoilers, would prefer a much lower one. Both cars are around 80,000klms
If the price is right - i will buy one and start again with it.

Here is a pic of the almost complete Accent we painted last week -

Rocket.

--------------------

2006 XD 2.0 HVT Auto

+Quote Post
NevynPA
post Sep 8 2010, 07:11 AM
Post #24 | Print

EClub Live Chat for Life!
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Thanks Received: 126
Trader Stats: 2 (100%)
Member No.: 8,215
Mood: Sick

Wow! Are both of the new choices wearing OEM alloys? We only had one choice here!

--------------------

ElantraClub - This isn't just a site you visit. It's something you're a part of.

+Quote Post
16 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 user(s) are reading this topic (1 guests and 0 anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Detailed my wife's 2016 Accent this past weekend...
Deja vu?
5 Bigs 49,513 27th June 2017 - 06:10 AM
Last post by: Bigs
No New Posts Detailed my Santa Fe today!
Yes been a while, I know....
2 Bigs 14,450 21st May 2017 - 04:47 PM
Last post by: Bigs
No New Posts For Sale: Ksport Coilover kit
13 Bobzilla 2,120 24th December 2016 - 11:26 AM
Last post by: slowgls
No New Posts Detailed a Sonata
Wife's friends
8 Vinnie 13,995 26th October 2015 - 11:48 PM
Last post by: rsr145
No New Posts Official pics of the 2017 Elantra, video too
7 elantragt 24,248 12th October 2015 - 08:36 AM