This is an archived forum community. It's currently closed to new memberships.
ElantraClub - for all generations

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules Overview
8 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Hyundai Mileage Claims Investigated
burris
post Nov 2 2012, 06:37 AM
Post #1 | Print

Club Newbie
Group Icon
Group: Members
Posts Per Day: 0.00
Thanks Received: 1
Trader Stats: 0 (0%)
Member No.: 7,911

Hello, Elantra owners..

Looks like we will be getting compensation from Hyundai related to their innacurate mileage claims on the selling stickers of their cars.

I have a 2010 and have complained since I bought it. I heard every story under the sun about why I am not getting better mileage.

http://www.wptv.com/dpp/money/consumer/hyu...-mileage-claims

--------------------

A proud member of the club.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Bobzilla
post Nov 2 2012, 07:21 AM
Post #2 | Print

Proud GLT Owner
Group Icon
Group: Lifetimer
Posts Per Day: 3.04
Thanks Received: 633
Trader Stats: 3 (100%)
Member No.: 532
Mood: Hyper

So the mileage claims come from EPA tests. The EPA tests the vehicles andassigns the numbers. So why is Hyundai getting nailed?

--------------------

Founding Member of the Indiana Chapter of the Teeny Weeny Club for Secure Adult Males

"Drag racing is for fast cars, and autocrossing is for fast drivers" -Toecutter

+Quote Post
Tony240
post Nov 2 2012, 07:49 AM
Post #3 | Print

Power Poster
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Thanks Received: 16
Member No.: 9,578
Mood: Working

I would assume Hyundai/Kia are passing the bill(s) over to whomever for the incorrect EPA readings to get reimbursed, as its not the manufacturer who states the mileage numbers, they receive a confirmation and then its advertised.

I cant complain with mine but since im going to the dealership this weekend for maintenance, I will see what I can get out of this here in Canada.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jessie
post Nov 2 2012, 08:13 AM
Post #4 | Print

Club Regular
Group Icon
Thanks Received: 59
Member No.: 12,261
Mood: Accomplished

True, the EPA is the one who made the claims, Hyundai just posted those readings on the "sticker" on the window. Hyundai shouldn't be paying these people, the EPA should. It doesn't seem to be Hyundai's fault. They just posted what they were told.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kate31
post Nov 2 2012, 08:18 AM
Post #5 | Print

Poster Pro
Group Icon
Group: VIP Members
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Thanks Received: 169
Member No.: 12,773
Mood: Chipper

Be sure to voice your comments on this subject on our current Facebook post:

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?stor...t=share_comment

--------------------

+Quote Post
RPW00Mirage
post Nov 2 2012, 09:24 AM
Post #6 | Print

That Mitsubishi Guy
Group Icon
Group: Leader
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Thanks Received: 423
Member No.: 11,480
Mood: Complacent

i can easily get 40mpg from my '12 veloster as long as i dont drive like an asshole. i'm averaging 34 right now, driving like i stole it. smile.gif

--------------------

2014 Veloster Turbo - racecar

2002 Elantra GLS - DEAD AND GONE DEAD AND GONE

+Quote Post
Bobzilla
post Nov 2 2012, 09:30 AM
Post #7 | Print

Proud GLT Owner
Group Icon

QUOTE (RPW00Mirage @ Nov 2 2012, 10:24 AM) *
i can easily get 40mpg from my '12 veloster as long as i dont drive like an asshole. i'm averaging 34 right now, driving like i stole it. smile.gif

yEP... I'm averaging 34 out of a car rated at 32 from the same company. I still say, give me ANY of these people's cars that are bitching and I'll exceed the EPA estimates every tankful.

--------------------

Founding Member of the Indiana Chapter of the Teeny Weeny Club for Secure Adult Males

+Quote Post
2 members thank Bobzilla for this post
Kate31, RPW00Mirage
yjolly
post Nov 2 2012, 09:31 AM
Post #8 | Print

Expert in generalizations
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Thanks Received: 21
Member No.: 27
Mood: Okay

... déjà vu .... remember the engines rating fiasco?

The EPA doesn't run the tests, the car companies do (or they contract it out), following the EPA guidelines. The EPA will only do spot checks every year, to keep everyone honest.

Looks like someone was too eager to claim that they achieved >40 MPG. They don't seem to be learning from past mistakes....

Canadian press release:

TORONTO, Nov. 2 – Hyundai Auto Canada Corp. and Kia Canada Inc. today announced that they are correcting the fuel consumption ratings for approximately 172,000 vehicles sold between 2010 and 2012.

Procedural errors at the automakers’ joint testing operations in Korea led to incorrect fuel consumption ratings for select vehicle lines. As a result of the corrections, Hyundai/Kia average combined fleet fuel consumption ratings are increased for the 2013 model year by 0.3 litres per 100 kilometres.

“I sincerely apologize to all affected Hyundai and Kia customers, and I regret these errors occurred,” said Dr. W. C. Yang, Chief Technology Officer of Hyundai/Kia research and development. “Following up on the EPA’s (Environmental Protection Agency) audit results, we have taken immediate action to make the necessary rating changes and process corrections..” The U.S. EPA certification is accepted by Environment Canada for auto imports into Canada.

Both companies are putting in place a comprehensive reimbursement program for affected current and former vehicle owners to cover the additional fuel costs associated with the fuel consumption rating change. Customers will receive a personalized, pre-paid credit card that will reimburse them for their difference in the combined fuel consumption rating, based on the average fuel price in their region and their own actual kilometres driven. In addition, as an acknowledgement of the inconvenience this may cause, we will add an extra 15 percent to the reimbursement amount. Current owners will be able to refill their pre-paid credit card at any time for as long as they own the vehicle. Prior owners of affected vehicles who have already sold their cars will also be reimbursed using the same formula. For more information about reimbursement and a complete list of eligible vehicles, customers can visit www.hyundaifuelconsumption.ca and www.kiafuelconsumption.ca.

Hyundai Motor America and Kia Motors America are working cooperatively with the EPA to correct fuel consumption discrepancies. The fuel consumption rating discrepancies resulted from procedural errors during a process called “coast down” testing at the companies’ joint testing operations in Korea. Coast down testing simulates aerodynamic, tire rolling resistance and drivetrain frictional losses and provides the technical data used to program the test dynamometers that generate fuel consumption ratings. Affected vehicles and their before-and-after fuel consumption estimates are shown in the attachment.

With the adjusted fuel consumption ratings, the Hyundai and Kia brands will continue to deliver competitive fuel consumption performance in the industry and will continue to advance improvements in fuel efficiency through technology and innovation.

“Fuel efficiency, low emissions and safety are top priorities for us; they are built into every vehicle that we sell,” said Steve Kelleher, President and Chief Executive Officer of Hyundai Auto Canada Corp. “We are very sorry about the errors and we are committed to making sure the owners of every affected Hyundai vehicle are fully compensated. We want to assure them and all of our customers that the environmental features and characteristics that are so important to Canadian drivers are equally important to us.”

“A large part of Kia’s success has been our ability to produce vehicles that meet both consumer and environmental needs,” said William Lee, President and Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of Kia Canada Inc. “Kia Canada deeply regrets that this situation has occurred and will ensure all affected Kia customers will quickly receive fair compensation.”

Yves

--------------------

'13 Dark Grey Toyota Camry Hybrid LE, 2.5L w/HSD transmission. RTX 16" Multi Silver Wheels & Stock Tires. WeatherTech floor mats. I live in Luskville, QC (near Ottawa), Canada

+Quote Post
2 members thank yjolly for this post
Neanderthal, popeye
Alex2013GT
post Nov 2 2012, 09:33 AM
Post #9 | Print

GT for life!
Group Icon
Group: VIP Members
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Thanks Received: 478
Trader Stats: 2 (100%)
Member No.: 34
Mood: Optimistic

If I recall correctly (I read the EPA MPG procedures a little while ago), the manufacturer conducts the test in accordance with EPA set procedures. The EPA then has the ability to audit and/or conduct their own tests. The EPA does not test every car, rather the manufacturer is responsible for the testing. So if Hyunda/Kia used improper testing methods, well that's a shame but they are doing the right thing by making it up to the customer. The fact that the EPA took so long to find the error, well that is a HUGE disappointment and tells me their controls are pretty poor.

This also explains why I never had an issue with my Sonata's MPG's (as it isn't on the list). That's a shame, I could've used a bonus before Christmas time biggrin.gif

--------------------

Please consider helping keep the club online and independent. Donate here to help the club.

Current Car: 2013 Hyundai Elantra GT, 6 spd manual w/ the style and tech packages
Previous Hyundai's: 2011 Hyundai Sonata SE in Venetian Red; 2006 Hyundai Sonata GLS, 3.3L V-6 in Ebony Black; 2004 Elantra GT, 5 spd manual in tidal wave blue

+Quote Post
scott9050
post Nov 2 2012, 10:19 AM
Post #10 | Print

UNC fan
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Thanks Received: 15
Member No.: 2,085
Mood: Awake

http://hyundaimpginfo.com/

The real mileage is on the page. And I am also wondering why Hyundai is getting singled out by the EPA.

I have to wonder if the goal is to hurt sales and help U.S. car makers.

--------------------

2014 Mustang GT, 6spd Manual Sterling gray Now Paxton Supercharged!
2017 Focus SEL (daily driver)
2014 Ford Focus Titanium
2002 Explorer XLS (hauler, beater).

+Quote Post
Bobzilla
post Nov 2 2012, 10:29 AM
Post #11 | Print

Proud GLT Owner
Group Icon

so the adjustment is 1mpg on the combined rating? That's what they're bitching about? REally? For crying out loud. STFU already.

--------------------

+Quote Post
3 members thank Bobzilla for this post
Kate31, sarge, slowgls
Jessie
post Nov 2 2012, 10:33 AM
Post #12 | Print

Club Regular
Group Icon
Thanks Received: 59
Member No.: 12,261
Mood: Accomplished

I stand corrected. But I agree with Bob. For one MPG, is it really an issue?

--------------------

+Quote Post
8 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 user(s) are reading this topic (1 guests and 0 anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Hyundai ATF SPF-III and Synthetic Mobil One 5W30 - 4 Quart bottles - $10
Plus engine and cabin air filters - Pick up or ship
0 olidx 847 25th October 2016 - 05:35 PM
Last post by: olidx
No New Posts Hyundai surprisingly dropping the Sonata
5 elantragt 15,825 2nd April 2016 - 09:52 AM
Last post by: elantragt
No New Posts Hyundai looking to improve it's performance cred
3 elantragt 7,638 14th June 2015 - 09:48 PM
Last post by: mlumz
No New Posts Hyundai Master Tech's?
Any Hyundai Master Tech's in here?
0 13ABLtd 536 1st June 2015 - 12:08 AM