This is an archived forum community. It's currently closed to new memberships.
ElantraClub - for all generations

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Recent edits
Shark Racing Cr... by elantragt
  Dec 25 2016, 09:01 PM
Audio Buying ti... by elantragt
  Dec 23 2016, 03:16 PM
Basic cleaning ... by elantragt
  Dec 22 2016, 12:05 PM
Adding LED'... by elantragt
  Dec 22 2016, 11:57 AM
Solid Motor Mou... by elantragt
  Dec 22 2016, 11:46 AM
Body color head... by elantragt
  Dec 22 2016, 11:41 AM

Stats
Our members have created a total of 137 articles in 13 categories.

A total of 602 edits have been made and our articles have been viewed 1,693,541 times

> Steering Wheel Radio Control Upgrade (HD) , DIY project by: kish21
Options V

Installing the left audio control buttons on a 2010 Elantra GLS

Parts needed for the project:

Switches
OEM part #96700 2H200-S4

Click to enlarge

Y-splitter extension cable
OEM part #56190 2H200

Click to enlarge

The switches were of the same kind as the one I ordered earlier through the dealership. They were silver color, but had a honeycomb texture. Next thing I did was without removing the existing blank insert, I plugged in the new switches and extension cable to see if it works. Fortunately it did! See below:

Click to enlarge

Click to enlarge

Click to enlarge

Next step was to remove the existing blank plastic, and this is where things got frustrating. The proper way to do this is to first remove the steering wheel off the column completely in order to access the two screws to remove the blank. Unfortunately, a special tool made especially for removing steering wheels is needed to do this, and of course I don't have it. I tried trying to yank it off by removing the large nut in the center of the wheel, but damn the thing is solid. It was getting late at night and I was getting impatient to go hunting for another tool, so I went to plan B. This involved putting a phillips bit into a the small opening through the front of the wheel and very very very slowly removing the two screws. I used a needle-nose pliers to get enough torque to unscrew those screws:

Click to enlarge

The whole process was very long and frustrating as the gap was very small and the screw was very tightly held. It took me well over two hours and cut fingers to get those two damn screws off. Those metal are sharp, be careful! Anywho, the final result was this, getting that blank piece off:

Click to enlarge

------------------------------------

Update! Here is that tool to remove the steering wheel. This is the specific one for Hyundai/Kia. I don't know if you can rent it, but if you can, that would be great.

And here is quick instructions on how to proceed:

Full PDF: Steering System Elantra

------------------------------------

Next I removed the existing extension cable for the cruise control, and installed the new y-splitter extension cable. Note: the cruise control side is missing one cable, the yellow one. Without this, the cruise control light wouldn't even turn on. Simple fix was I ran a cable from pin #3 of the MM01 connector to pin #8 on the M60 connector.

Click to enlarge

And here is the final result!

Overall, it was a good project. If someone else is planning on doing this, do yourself a favor and definitely get the tool to remove the steering wheel. I spent at least 3 hours total just trying to remove and insert those switches. Overall difficulty 10/10 the way I did it. Otherwise with the proper tool, I'd say 6/10. - kish21

Last update: Jan 9 2012, 09:46 AM by elantragt    Created: Jan 9 2012, 09:17 AM by elantragt    Edits: 10    Views: 7,011
Print article  Download MSWord version  Download txt version
Visit this article's discussion topic

Copyright 2022 The Elantra Club    
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 04:18 AM
Elantra Club is not affiliated in any way with Hyundai Motor America