This is an archived forum community. It's currently closed to new memberships.
ElantraClub - for all generations

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules Overview
5 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Confirmed: NO Spare in 2011 Elantra (US version)
NoSparein2011Ela...
post Dec 2 2010, 02:39 PM
Post #1 | Print

Club Newbie
Group Icon
Group: Members
Posts Per Day: 0.00
Thanks Received: 0
Trader Stats: 0 (0%)
Member No.: 9,334

I just got back from the dealership in Maryland where they had a 2011 Elantra Limited with NO SPARE TIRE. There is a bottle of goo and a small air compressor in a chunk of foam that fits where the spare goes. There is a place where you can attach a spare inside the trunk if you remove the foam, but unless the Limited Premium comes with a spare (which i doubt) don't expect to get a spare tire in the US. I figure they did this to save weight, cost, and improve fuel economy (less weight). If you have a blow out, there is no goo in the world that will get you back on the road. Hyundai is betting that most people will call the 5 year free roadside assistance. I hadn't thought of it, but he's most likely right that the goo will ruin the TPMS (which I believe is mandatory on new cars in the US).

The car also had continental tires which was somewhat unexpected. The oil change dipstick has changed into a steel cable with a plastic tip for measuring the oil. It's easier to read the oil since the plastic tip is yellow, but I had some difficulty getting it back into the engine. It's nice the alternator is easily accessible since I've had issues with these with other models of non-hyundai cars. I don't know if it's all the glossy slime the dealership coats the interior with, but I was a little disappointed with the feel of the interior because the pictures make it look so great. I'm not sure exactly why I felt that way. Maybe the pushy car saleswoman was at fault. I still like it better than anything else I've seen so far.

Like my profile says, I bought my first Hyundai Elantra brand new in 2003 and haven't looked back. I've owned Dodge, Honda, Toyota, and GMC cars. None have compared to my Hyundais in reliability. Everyone else can have their hood ornaments and high car payments.

I love my 2007 Elantra SE. I was going to go for the 2011 Sonata, which was nice when I had it for a rental, but since the Elantra is almost the same thing (with a few more features where it counts) I'll probably go for the new Elantra once I get back from overseas in a few years. That's the great thing about Hyundai is they depreciate quickly, I can buy a used one with the 5 year warranty (10 year is non transferable), excellent quality, for a great price. That's what I did with my 2007 when I bought it last year.

One tip I have is that you can check Hyundai technical service bulletins on their website here http://www.hmaservice.com/ with a free account. If your Hyundai has any issues similar to ones described in the TSB's it's easy to convince the service department when you have a printout of the TSB that describes the issue perfectly. They have details on the new MD version of the Elantra posted, but I didn't see the owner's manual last I checked. They have features that aren't available listed such as rotating headlights (as you turn corners) and rain sensing wipers in the repair guides, but I also noticed stuff like that for my 2007. It would be cool if you could mod your car with those features later using the parts from those overseas (like Korea where I'm assuming they offer those features).

The dealership gets in the 2011 Elantra Limited Premium next week. I'm hoping I'll like the push button start, backup camera, and nav that aren't included in the Limited. I also didn't see the automatic headlights on the Limited, but the dealer mentioned that it's on the premium verison. I'm disappointed that I have to wait until I get back from being overseas to get a low mileage used one. Sorry for rambling.

--------------------

A proud member of the club.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
only1db
post Dec 2 2010, 03:07 PM
Post #2 | Print

Elantra Guru
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Thanks Received: 59
Member No.: 2,023
Mood: Accomplished

i just looked at one today...the front end is nice but it seems a little too small...like its not proportional? maybe its just me...i like the interior though. i didnt get a chance to sit in it though.

--------------------

Silver Certified Hyundai Tech turned Sonographer...and blogger?? check it out! All Things Hyundai!

+Quote Post
jamhandman
post Dec 2 2010, 03:28 PM
Post #3 | Print

Post Maniac
Group Icon
Group: Lifetimer
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Thanks Received: 57
Member No.: 4,755

why is your username NoSparein2011Elantra?

--------------------

EC ROCKS! Show your support, ask/answer questions, start topics, post pictures, and donate!! Woots!

+Quote Post
seant2h
post Dec 2 2010, 03:33 PM
Post #4 | Print

Club Newbie
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 0.00
Thanks Received: 0
Member No.: 7,917

Yesterday I drove a Limited Premium (Desert Bronze with Beige interior) and it didn't have a spare tire either... just some goo and a compressor. I thought the car was much nicer and sportier in person than in pictures. Also, the door to the back seat is smaller than it appears and I hit my head getting into the car... then again I'm 6'2". I found out that the colors being offered are:
-Pearl White
-Radiant Silver
-Desert Bronze
-Indigo Blue Pearl
-Black Metallic
-Red Allure
-Blue Sky Metallic
-Titanium Gray Metallic
With interior colors of:
-Beige
-Gray
-Black

I told the salesman that I didn't really want to move on it right away because I didn't want them to offer auto climate control or dual zone and I'd miss the bus for jumping the gun and he told me that Hyundai never makes mid year revisions so any new options which might make it into the car will not appear until the 2012 models show up.

Also, there are a bunch of pictures along with pictueres of a presentation on the Elantra, Sonata, and Hyundai in general located at:
http://shows.autospies.com/gallery/2011-Hy...ntra-224/page1/

--------------------

+Quote Post
elantragt
post Dec 2 2010, 03:38 PM
Post #5 | Print

Club Founder
Group Icon
Group: Admin
Posts Per Day: 3.03
Thanks Received: 2809
Trader Stats: 16 (100%)
Member No.: 1
Mood: Okay

QUOTE (jamhandman @ Dec 2 2010, 03:28 PM) *
why is your username NoSparein2011Elantra?

Yeah, that's sort of one post name. B)

--------------------

+Quote Post
blacksapphirez
post Dec 2 2010, 04:07 PM
Post #6 | Print

Club Regular
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Thanks Received: 4
Member No.: 9,202

i thought i already told you they wouldn't have a spare lol

oh and Canadians get Auto Climate control US won't!

--------------------

+Quote Post
sarge
post Dec 2 2010, 04:35 PM
Post #7 | Print

CarPuter Masta!
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 1.04
Thanks Received: 130
Trader Stats: 11 (100%)
Member No.: 4,300
Mood: Relaxed

^ if that's true - I'll do a group buy option for peeps south of the border if wanted.

oh - when do we get it up here?? huh huh? biggrin.gif

--------------------

carPC Build Thread | My Elantra Site | My Fiero Site | My WebSite | Donate here to keep ElantraClub online and growing.

+Quote Post
blacksapphirez
post Dec 2 2010, 04:45 PM
Post #8 | Print

Club Regular
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Thanks Received: 4
Member No.: 9,202

dunno about climate control but spare can be bought at the dealer

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tom06
post Dec 2 2010, 04:58 PM
Post #9 | Print

"Stock" Car Driver
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Thanks Received: 1
Member No.: 7,135

Unfortunately, with the EPA fuel requirements, combined with more (heavy!) safety features being required, more and more cars will be shipping without the spare/jack to save weight. Hard to blame Hyundai.

--------------------

"Last of the XDs."
2006 GLS, manual transmission, aftermarket wheels, aftermarket head-unit.
Future mods are cancelled so that I can save up for a house and my next car.

+Quote Post
cobas
post Dec 2 2010, 06:43 PM
Post #10 | Print

Nanomember
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 1.11
Thanks Received: 57
Trader Stats: 2 (100%)
Member No.: 106
Mood: Blah

I think it's fine it has no spare. About time they deleted that, and I'm impressed it comes with a pump.

First of all... how many tires on passenger cars really explode lately? Barring that Firestone/Explorer spat a while back, I think it's almost unheard of. I've never had it happen, nor anyone I know. Second, the cause of most blowouts is probably underinflation, which should be addressed by the TPMS and provided air pump. Third, I have a spare and on the rare occasion I check the pressure, it's usually flat, which is also why I have the electric pump as well. Between the pump, the free roadside assistance and the bottle of goo... I think it's fine.

--------------------

Help keep ElantraClub running and free for all Elantra owners: Donate.

+Quote Post
Neanderthal
post Dec 2 2010, 08:43 PM
Post #11 | Print

Power Poster
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Thanks Received: 13
Member No.: 5,961
Mood: Good

Same as on my 07 GP. Can of mace, I mean Spare Tire, and a suggestion you call somebody. I'd rather have a real spare.

Now, who the hell decided to plant those two center dash vents where they are? Krikey, talk about FUBAR.

--------------------

007 Spectra EX auto

+Quote Post
Vampyrate
post Dec 2 2010, 09:16 PM
Post #12 | Print

Call Me Aaron
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 0.85
Thanks Received: 35
Member No.: 1,056
Mood: Carefree

Personally, I like the safety net of having a spare (would rather have a full sized spare in all cars). But in all honesty how many people outside of this forum do you know of that know how to change a flat tire at all? And IF we were to have a blowout, would a can of fix a flat help, I think not.

--------------------

"Life without music is a big mistake." - Friedrich Nietzsche
QUOTE (rogerdavis87 @ Sep 28 2008, 09:07 PM) [snapback]259849[/snapback]
eww i can see your geek

+Quote Post
5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 user(s) are reading this topic (1 guests and 0 anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Elantra Sport review
4 elantragt 109,154 21st June 2017 - 05:26 PM
Last post by: elantragt
No New Posts USB Sticks
Error reading flash drive
16 bmm 3,574 7th January 2017 - 06:33 PM
Last post by: Yigael
No New Posts Elantra GLS 2016 Diesel HID to Xenon
Elantra GLS 2016 Diesel HID to Xenon
0 zipzip 975 13th November 2016 - 05:56 PM
Last post by: zipzip
No New Posts Elantra GT TIRES
215-45-17 TIRES
0 i30al 1,053 31st July 2016 - 10:11 PM
Last post by: i30al
No New Posts Normal Radiator temperature for 2011 Elantra?
1 regor 1,001 24th May 2016 - 06:40 PM
Last post by: slowgls

Copyright 2022 The Elantra Club    
Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 01:21 AM
Elantra Club is not affiliated in any way with Hyundai Motor America