This is an archived forum community. It's currently closed to new memberships.
ElantraClub - for all generations

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules Overview
16 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Repaired Write Off. Time for a Detail
Rating 5 V
Rocket
post Sep 8 2010, 07:54 AM
Post #25 | Print

Club Regular
Group Icon
Group: Lifetimer
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Thanks Received: 16
Trader Stats: 0 (0%)
Member No.: 8,992
Mood: Content

QUOTE (NevynPA @ Sep 8 2010, 09:41 PM) *
Wow! Are both of the new choices wearing OEM alloys? We only had one choice here!

G`day NevynPA, Yes - from the pictures it certainly looks like it!

I cannot see the actual cars - the auction is in Perth WA and i am in Adelaide SA, which is about 3,000klm away. We buy the cars online and then the train from Perth brings them to Adelaide.

I had intended to buy these Alloys for the Elantra. They are the same ones that were put on the car which was written off today - They are called "Edge"and are made by CSA Wheels.

But if we buy a car with Alloys already fitted, then they will do the job nicely.

Rocket.

--------------------

2006 XD 2.0 HVT Auto

Photobucket album - hail damaged cars
http://s244.photobucket.com/albums/gg34/ro...damaged%20Cars/
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
NevynPA
post Sep 8 2010, 09:04 AM
Post #26 | Print

EClub Live Chat for Life!
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Thanks Received: 126
Trader Stats: 2 (100%)
Member No.: 8,215
Mood: Sick

Those are 5-lug. The XD/XD2 in the USA is 4-lug - make sure you're careful of that, and the offset!

--------------------

ElantraClub - This isn't just a site you visit. It's something you're a part of.

+Quote Post
Rocket
post Sep 8 2010, 05:58 PM
Post #27 | Print

Club Regular
Group Icon

QUOTE (NevynPA @ Sep 8 2010, 11:34 PM) *
Those are 5-lug. The XD/XD2 in the USA is 4-lug - make sure you're careful of that, and the offset!

The photo of the Alloys is from the CSA website.

The wheels are available in 4 or 5 lug. This Elantra has the 4 lugs.

Size of the rims will be 15 x 6.5 Not totally sure about the offset. Think it is 38mm. Can anybody confirm this?

Rocket.

--------------------

2006 XD 2.0 HVT Auto

+Quote Post
Rocket
post Sep 9 2010, 06:23 AM
Post #28 | Print

Club Regular
Group Icon

Crunching the numbers!
The Auction of the 2 Elantras happens tomorrow. To buyor not to buy? What constitutes a bargain price? Been pondering these questions today.

The Silver 2006 Auto Elantra in this Thread cost $2,000 under the hammer. Bargain? Might seem so, but not so sure after paying everything along the way. Here are the actual figures -

Price bid to own car $2,000
Auction Fees $ 215
Towing $ 88
Train to Adelaide $ 380
New Tail light $ 125
New Plugs/Leads $ 124
Tier 3 Inspection $ 269 ( This is a comprehensive check by Motor Registration Division to determine correct identity of vehicle )
Roadworthy $ 221 ( Compulsory inspection by Motor Registration Division for Written off vehicles )
3 months Registration$ 330

Total $3,752

But hang on, the $3,752 does not include the cost of panel and paint! We are fortunate to have our own panel shop, but it still costs money to run. We allow one week for each car ( average ), and cost this at a very conservative $1300 plus $275 in materials. This would be close to break even costs only.

Total cost of this car now adds up to $5,327. So is the $2,000 car still a bargain?........ Very subjective! A quick check of cars for sale shows a couple of higher kilometre cars for sale around this price, but an average price of 8-9,000 dollars for cars with similar klms. If we were doing this purely for profit, i think there are easier ways to make a dollar.

Based on the prices above, the cars i am considering buying tomorrow will need to be priced under $2,000.

I actually prefer the red car because it looks a bit tidier. The silver car has a tow bar which if used regularly may have stessed the drivetrain. Problem is - the silver car goes up at lot no.2 in the Auction. It is my experience that cars that are auctioned early are cheaper. This is because a lot of people have not arrived at the auction yet. I hope it will finish at about $1500. If so, i will buy it. Here are the 2 cars. Which would you be buying?

My plan of action will be the silver car at $1500 or less. If it goes over that i will go up to about $2200 for the red car. But things happen quickly at auctions, so the plan may change when it gets underway tomorrow.

Rocket.

--------------------

2006 XD 2.0 HVT Auto

+Quote Post
sarge
post Sep 9 2010, 12:59 PM
Post #29 | Print

CarPuter Masta!
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 1.04
Thanks Received: 130
Trader Stats: 11 (100%)
Member No.: 4,300
Mood: Relaxed

Good luck with the auction.

Hard to say with the prices since your market down there is slightly different from the one up over here. But to get a quality car that looks super amazing when you guys are done with it, I'd pay the $5K+ as a customer.

--------------------

carPC Build Thread | My Elantra Site | My Fiero Site | My WebSite | Donate here to keep ElantraClub online and growing.

+Quote Post
TJVJR
post Sep 9 2010, 08:36 PM
Post #30 | Print

Power Poster
Group Icon
Group: Members
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Thanks Received: 18
Member No.: 6,606
Mood: Grateful

QUOTE (afob3 @ Sep 2 2010, 08:49 PM) *
Wow that must have been one heck of a storm to knock the steering wheel over to the wrong side smile.gif

that's just plain funny , seriously good going .

--------------------

2001 Tiburon, auto , daily driver .
95 Mazda MX6,2.0 5 speed,CAI,Greddy cat back exhaust;
96 Mazda MX6 M Edition,refreshed 2.5 V6 5 speed,CAI ,Dynomax testpipe,Raven dual chamber/dual exit muffler-few interior mods.
2000 Elantra ,sold but not forgot .
A proud member of the club.

+Quote Post
Rocket
post Sep 10 2010, 04:25 AM
Post #31 | Print

Club Regular
Group Icon

Commonsense was thrown out the window during todays auction IMO. The prices were through the roof!

These cars have been written off by Insurance companies as uneconomical to repair. They must be repaired and inspected before Registration.

That Silver Elantra i was hoping to buy for $1,500 was sold for $3,750. It was Lot 2 in the auction. When i saw that my stomach sunk. Bugger! It only got worse from there. Could not buy a bloody thing all afternoon! Even 2000, 2001 Accents that i had been buying between $600 - $1200 previously were selling for $3,000. The buyers have gone stark raving mad IMO! This was the final Hail Damaged Car Auction. They had been running once a week in Melbourne and Perth since March.

Here are some more examples of the prices that cars sold for -

Lot 48 2005 Red Elantra Hatchback. Manual. 80,000 klm $4,000

Lot 75 2004 Silver Elantra Sedan. Auto. 114,000 klm $4,500

Lot 152 2005 Champagne Elantra Hatchback 104,000 klm $4,000

Lot 181 2005 White Elantra Sedan 61,000 klm $5,250

But all is not lost. We still have a 2002 Elantra Sedan. champagne colour. Manual. The car has been sitting awaiting repair for about 3 months. Will just have to make this car my pet project until i can find another 2005 or 2006 Hatchback -

We had taken out the missing tai light to complete another car, but already have another new replacement. This car stank inside when it first arrived. Thankfully the smell has dissipated now. Guess we will get stuck into the repairs in a couple of weeks. Of course i can always hope the old bloke chooses not to buy the Silver Elantra.

Rocket.

--------------------

2006 XD 2.0 HVT Auto

+Quote Post
Rocket
post Sep 13 2010, 05:21 PM
Post #32 | Print

Club Regular
Group Icon

QUOTE (Bigs @ Sep 8 2010, 12:32 AM) *
Bastard has a Flex polisher.... I hate you now... tongue.gif I guess my PC will have to do for now! smile.gif

Hey Bigs, The Flex is an excellent machine, but takes a long time to polish the cars.

Early this year i scrimped and saved enough to buy the new Festool Shinex rotary machine. The idea was to speed up the time spent polishing the cars. That Festool is a beautifully balanced machine, and much lighter than the Makita. I got to use it just once! Andy ( our paint /panel guru ) found that it was the ideal tool to sand the skim coats from the roofs of the hail damaged cars. He has used it for sanding so much bog off that i am amazed it keeps running with all that dust. Told him he better keep it for the panel shop now. The process of saving for another has begun, and this one will be under lock and key at home!

Rocket.

--------------------

2006 XD 2.0 HVT Auto

+Quote Post
Bigs
post Sep 14 2010, 10:57 AM
Post #33 | Print

I ran out of ideas...
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 1.49
Thanks Received: 31
Member No.: 158
Mood: Indescribable

Cool machines!

Of course a rotary take less time! But in the wrong hands it takes less time to damage the surface also! smile.gif You should see the cars I have seen from a shop near my house! I don't know if that guy got away with it or not but it was so bad, all that damage from a rotary... happy it wasn't my ride!

That's why for beginners or quick jobs, a random orbital is always safe!

--------------------

2017 Santa Fe Sport SE 2.4L AWD (mine)
2016 Accent SE (wife)
How to donate - Let's keep the Club alive!

+Quote Post
Rocket
post Sep 15 2010, 03:41 AM
Post #34 | Print

Club Regular
Group Icon

Oh Yes - One must be very careful with a rotary polisher. Fortunately, i have a fair bit of experience with using them over the years. Maybe i am getting old, but i had a lot of trouble handling the makita polisher. When the new Shinex was released it received rave reviews among the Aussie detailing pros. Although i only got to use it on one car, it was incredibly easy to handle on mid range speeds.

It takes 12 - 15 hours to do a top notch 3 stage polish with the Flex .Hope to cut down the time to about 8 hours per car by combining the use of both machines.

Good News Today! The Silver Elantra is coming back home. Reg - the chap whose car was totalled - received an excellent payout on his insurance, so he decided to upgrade to a HD Elantra. The HD is not very old and has very low klms. Bloody ripper! Looking forward to finishing the polishing of the car. Might also be some good news about the alloy wheels i want to put on the car. Might end up getting them for free. More about that in a couple of days.

An interesting comment from the insurance assessor. Quote " Good thing you were driving the Elantra, because a lesser car may have seen your wife in big trouble ". His car was hit on the left front close to the passenger side where his wife was sitting. This was enough to cause him to buy another Elantra, rather than a Focus which his son had wanted him to buy. Might even have some photos of the smashed car in a couple of days.

Rocket.

--------------------

2006 XD 2.0 HVT Auto

+Quote Post
Rocket
post Sep 17 2010, 08:56 AM
Post #35 | Print

Club Regular
Group Icon

Well....... We did it! -

Things happened quickly this week. It all started when Reg was advised by his insurance company that his car was indeed a write off and made him a very good offer for settlement. He accepted the offer and then went to buy his HD Elantra.
In the meantime his smashed car was taken to the Damaged Car Auction and immediately placed in todays auction. Saw it on the listings Wednesday. Today we were the winning bidder at $1,400
Picked it up this arvo. Looks pretty good eh -

Well from that side anyway.

Not so good from this side -

That is a very heavy impact. Good testament to the safety of these cars. The side intrusion bar in the door saved Reg`s wife from very serious injuries -

Why did we buy the car? Because i want to put a set of the alloy wheels on the silver Elantra. Was quoted $800 for the same type of rims. Also want to replace the worn steering wheel. The one on this car is leather. We only repaired the hail damaged bonnet on the silver car because a new bonnet would have cost $500. Now we have a very good secondhand one. This car also has cruise Control, which i hope to fit on the silver car. These items alone give my money back, and we are still left with lots and lots of good spare parts including the low klm engine and auto trans
We will be selling a lot of these parts on ebay. I hope to recoup all costs and end up with the wheels for free. That is the plan anyway.

Rocket.

--------------------

2006 XD 2.0 HVT Auto

+Quote Post
TJVJR
post Sep 17 2010, 11:19 AM
Post #36 | Print

Power Poster
Group Icon
Group: Members
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Thanks Received: 18
Member No.: 6,606
Mood: Grateful

good plan ,i hope it works out.

--------------------

2001 Tiburon, auto , daily driver .
95 Mazda MX6,2.0 5 speed,CAI,Greddy cat back exhaust;
96 Mazda MX6 M Edition,refreshed 2.5 V6 5 speed,CAI ,Dynomax testpipe,Raven dual chamber/dual exit muffler-few interior mods.
2000 Elantra ,sold but not forgot .
A proud member of the club.

+Quote Post
16 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
3 user(s) are reading this topic (3 guests and 0 anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Detailed my wife's 2016 Accent this past weekend...
Deja vu?
5 Bigs 48,313 27th June 2017 - 06:10 AM
Last post by: Bigs
No New Posts Detailed my Santa Fe today!
Yes been a while, I know....
2 Bigs 14,152 21st May 2017 - 04:47 PM
Last post by: Bigs
No New Posts For Sale: Ksport Coilover kit
13 Bobzilla 2,100 24th December 2016 - 11:26 AM
Last post by: slowgls
No New Posts Detailed a Sonata
Wife's friends
8 Vinnie 13,775 26th October 2015 - 11:48 PM
Last post by: rsr145
No New Posts Official pics of the 2017 Elantra, video too
7 elantragt 24,057 12th October 2015 - 08:36 AM