This is an archived forum community. It's currently closed to new memberships.
ElantraClub - for all generations

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules Overview

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Can Hyundai do it?
elantragt
post Jan 20 2005, 04:11 PM
Post #1 | Print

Club Founder
Group Icon
Group: Admin
Posts Per Day: 3.03
Thanks Received: 2809
Trader Stats: 16 (100%)
Member No.: 1
Mood: Okay

Hyundai's goal is to become a top 5 world automaker in the next few years. Their plan is to take Hyundai upscale and possibly even add a luxury division ala Lexus. They will give their KIA brand a youthful sportier image. So... do you think Hyundai could/will become the next Toyota, Honda or Chrysler? signs-whatdoyouthink.gif

--------------------

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
terrytut
post Jan 27 2005, 08:21 PM
Post #2 | Print

Club Newbie
Group Icon
Group: Members
Posts Per Day: 0.00
Thanks Received: 0
Trader Stats: 0 (0%)
Member No.: 103

given enough time, I think that they are a strong contender, and could do it.

--------------------

A proud member of the club.

+Quote Post
Elantrick
post Jan 27 2005, 08:37 PM
Post #3 | Print

Sailin' Man
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Thanks Received: 2
Member No.: 51
Mood: Confident

If they make the commitment to do this, and maintain their focus, YES.
If they suddenly decide that they are loosing too much money and cheapen up the car or raise the price a bunch, then maybe not.

--------------------

Elantrick's 2004 Tidal Wave Blue GT

Sporting black with red stripe 17X7.5" Drag wheels, Nitto Neo-Gen 215/40/17 tires, 19.2 rear Sway Bar, Shark Adjustable Short Shifter with lifted frame, 100 watt head lamps,
with hid fog lamps wired independent of the Low beams, cold air intake, Edelbrock springs lowered 1.25" with KYB shocks and Tinted Windows.

+Quote Post
cobas
post Jan 27 2005, 09:16 PM
Post #4 | Print

Nanomember
Group Icon
Group: Lifetimer
Posts Per Day: 1.11
Thanks Received: 57
Trader Stats: 2 (100%)
Member No.: 106
Mood: Blah

Well, we already have a top 5 automakers, so it also depends on who the competition is. Who are the current top 5 anyway? GMC, Ford, Chrysler, Toyota and Honda? For Hyundai to get into the top 5, one of the current ones has to screw up. Also, Ford, GMC and Chrysler have big truck/SUV markets in the US.

--------------------

Help keep ElantraClub running and free for all Elantra owners: Donate.

+Quote Post
Elantrick
post Jan 27 2005, 10:34 PM
Post #5 | Print

Sailin' Man
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Thanks Received: 2
Member No.: 51
Mood: Confident

The top 5 don't have to screw up, they just have to slow down the rate that they improve their products.

--------------------

Elantrick's 2004 Tidal Wave Blue GT

Sporting black with red stripe 17X7.5" Drag wheels, Nitto Neo-Gen 215/40/17 tires, 19.2 rear Sway Bar, Shark Adjustable Short Shifter with lifted frame, 100 watt head lamps,
with hid fog lamps wired independent of the Low beams, cold air intake, Edelbrock springs lowered 1.25" with KYB shocks and Tinted Windows.

+Quote Post
bikerPA
post Jan 27 2005, 10:50 PM
Post #6 | Print

Poster Pro
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Thanks Received: 1
Member No.: 62
Mood: Nostalgic

You know what? Forget being cautious. Hyundai got burned BAD in the mid- and late-1980s by attempting to compete on price alone. They spent the early to mid 90s licking their wounds. For the past six or seven years, they've been concentrating on putting out reasonably good product at an appealing price that would allow them to establish a decently loyal customer base (as is evidenced by their #4 ranking in customer retention by J.D. Power). Hyundai has had FIFTEEN YEARS to ponder how to go about winning back the American public - I've gotta believe that they've thoroughly studied what Japan did in the 80s, learned from the mistakes of folks like Mitsubishi, and have absolutely nailed the quality/value/reputation equation. If nothing else, look at the buzz they've created! That in itself would have been totally unthinkable eight or ten years ago. They've come a long way since then, and I suspect they'll go at least as far in the next few years.

okay, I'll quit with the rabid Hyundai fanboy rant now. You get my point. happy.gif

--------------------

QUOTE(Cite 3)
the cops lit us up, but then Cobas was like "what u suckas want?"
and biker reached under his coat and the cops were like... "umm nevermind".

+Quote Post
Neurowave
post Jan 28 2005, 02:16 AM
Post #7 | Print

Power Poster
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Member No.: 45
Mood: Accomplished

Well top 5 in what? Production-wise we're bigger then Honda.

--------------------

+Quote Post
roydjt
post Jan 28 2005, 02:42 AM
Post #8 | Print

Outta the way!
Group Icon
Group: Leader
Posts Per Day: 0.85
Thanks Received: 272
Trader Stats: 4 (100%)
Member No.: 33
Mood: Cocky

On a worldwide scale, I absolutely think Hyundai can be there in a few years. Their small models sell very well overseas, and I would bet that they are huge in China. Don't forget that China is the fastest growing auto market in the world and the market there is inconcieveably immense.

Stateside, however, people are more reluctant to change. Honda and Toyota will be the go-to import brand for years to come due to their reputation. If Hyundai raises their prices compared to silimar models from those two, I think lots of people will choose the brand they know and trust. And Ford and Chrysler are so strong here as well, especially in the midwest/bible belt.

I think it will take much longer to win the US market, but worldwide, I can definitely see Hyundai cracking the top 5 in the next 3-5 years.

-Roy

--------------------

"If what Jesus said was good, what can it matter if he was God or not?" - Kurt Vonnegut

+Quote Post
sizzski
post Jan 28 2005, 03:41 AM
Post #9 | Print

Club Regular
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Member No.: 75
Mood: Accomplished

QUOTE (bikerPA @ Jan 27 2005, 10:50 PM)
You know what?  Forget being cautious.  Hyundai got burned BAD in the mid- and late-1980s by attempting to compete on price alone.  They spent the early to mid 90s licking their wounds.  For the past six or seven years, they've been concentrating on putting out reasonably good product at an appealing price that would allow them to establish a decently loyal customer base (as is evidenced by their #4 ranking in customer retention by J.D. Power).  Hyundai has had FIFTEEN YEARS to ponder how to go about winning back the American public - I've gotta believe that they've thoroughly studied what Japan did in the 80s, learned from the mistakes of folks like Mitsubishi, and have absolutely nailed the quality/value/reputation equation.  If nothing else, look at the buzz they've created!  That in itself would have been totally unthinkable eight or ten years ago.  They've come a long way since then, and I suspect they'll go at least as far in the next few years. 

okay, I'll quit with the rabid Hyundai fanboy rant now.  You get my point.  happy.gif

I agree with biker. They are not to many car makers out there that put out a quality car at a good price.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 user(s) are reading this topic (1 guests and 0 anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Pinned: Doing my best to keep EC going
Please consider donating
2 elantragt 20,497 16th February 2017 - 05:23 PM
Last post by: elantragt
No New Posts Hyundai ATF SPF-III and Synthetic Mobil One 5W30 - 4 Quart bottles - $10
Plus engine and cabin air filters - Pick up or ship
0 olidx 854 25th October 2016 - 05:35 PM
Last post by: olidx
No new It's about to get real
Changing the clutch and half shafts
31 bhorste 1,517 15th October 2016 - 02:31 PM
Last post by: bhorste
No New Posts Donation Drive
20 elantragt 30,922 9th May 2016 - 04:04 AM
Last post by: mad66
No New Posts Its been a while
3 vladj 9,384 2nd April 2016 - 09:19 PM