This is an archived forum community. It's currently closed to new memberships.
ElantraClub - for all generations

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules Overview
3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What upgrades for the engine are there for an HD?, Engine Performance Upgrades
streetfighterguy
post Jan 22 2011, 11:03 PM
Post #13 | Print

Insert title here
Group Icon
Group: Lifetimer
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Thanks Received: 19
Trader Stats: 0 (0%)
Member No.: 7,980
Mood: Exhausted

Well i have a Highflow cat in my car and i don't think it is causing my ECU to have a hissy fit, that comes from the header that is above the cat in my system.

You can get away with using a HF cat as long as you don't mess with the stock exaust manifold.

--------------------

Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
JohnDoe641
post Jan 23 2011, 05:24 AM
Post #14 | Print

No more snow
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Thanks Received: 19
Member No.: 7,330
Mood: Accomplished

Nice!

Which one do you have and did it get much louder? I have a 60 series Flowmaster which is very close to stock as far as noise level at idle is concerned. I'd like to stay close to that if at all possible.

--------------------

A proud member of the club.

+Quote Post
zielritter
post Jan 23 2011, 10:39 AM
Post #15 | Print

Matt
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Thanks Received: 8
Member No.: 7,985
Mood: Confident

QUOTE (JohnDoe641 @ Jan 23 2011, 05:24 AM) *
Nice!

Which one do you have and did it get much louder? I have a 60 series Flowmaster which is very close to stock as far as noise level at idle is concerned. I'd like to stay close to that if at all possible.

Well, here's the issue. You have two cat's in your exhaust stream like mine did (2010 ET). The first is built into the exhaust manifold just as the exhaust is leaving the engine. This cat does the primary "cleaning" of the emissions that the O2 sensors use to determine if everything's in order. It's not going to be possible to replace this one with an aftermarket universal cat.

I know someone at one point tried something from Magnaflow that was a direct exhaust manifold replacement (think it was for the XD though) with an integrated cat, but even this eventually threw a CEL. Now, the second cat could be replaced with a universal hi-flow cat, but what's the point when the primary (and probably more restrictive) cat is still in place? Your gains would be minimal.
What I eventually chose to live with, is just go with an aftermarket header and full custom exhaust and have a very occasional, short lived CEL that comes on because my primary cat is gone. My O2 sensors are still in place, but I added two spacers (short story: they are basically long spark plug anti-foulers) on the second one (after where the primary cat once was) that moves the sensor further away from the exhaust stream.

This fools the ECU into still thinking I have a cat. It hasn't been perfect, but I go at least 500-600 miles before I get a CEL. And even after I get one it goes away after another 40-50 miles. I can live with this.

--------------------

Check out and vote on my 2010 Elantra Touring:
My 2010 ET SE

+Quote Post
Bobzilla
post Jan 23 2011, 10:47 AM
Post #16 | Print

Proud GLT Owner
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 3.03
Thanks Received: 633
Trader Stats: 3 (100%)
Member No.: 532
Mood: Hyper

The primary cat/manifold is about as restrictive as lace panties.... when adding a 4-1 header we can hopeto see about a 3hp gain total. THat's dirching the cat, foing to highflow long tubes into a high flow collector. Not much "restriction" there.

THe primary problem with the Beta starts on top of the head.... the cams. I feel like a broken record here..... to be able to be a sulev/ulev engine and NOT use EGR, the cam profiles have such a high overlap that they kill flow through the head. So, unless you forcefullt stuff more air into the head, all the N/A mods in the world are going to net a max of 10hp for us. It sucks.... but that's the truth. Change the cams, change the ECU and you could conceivably gain unlimited power. But unless you're willing to be the guinnea pig anddole out the big bucks, don't bother.

--------------------

Founding Member of the Indiana Chapter of the Teeny Weeny Club for Secure Adult Males

"Drag racing is for fast cars, and autocrossing is for fast drivers" -Toecutter

+Quote Post
zielritter
post Jan 23 2011, 12:17 PM
Post #17 | Print

Matt
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Thanks Received: 8
Member No.: 7,985

What Bob said. A 9-10% increase in whp (which is about what a fully bolted Beta will get you) will knock a half second or so off you're quarter mile times, but you're not going to have a fast car still. I'm going to attempt to tune my AFR with the SAFC 2 I got a deal on. Hopefully, I can squeeze out a few more hp.

--------------------

Check out and vote on my 2010 Elantra Touring:
My 2010 ET SE

+Quote Post
jamhandman
post Jan 24 2011, 08:30 AM
Post #18 | Print

Post Maniac
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Thanks Received: 57
Member No.: 4,755

Drop in a K&N air filter and bypass/remove the intake resonator. These are easy upgrade. Look at changing the spark plugs and wires to get the engine smmother. Go the Mobile 1 or equilivant. biggrin.gif These things aren't much, but it's a start. biggrin.gif

--------------------

EC ROCKS! Show your support, ask/answer questions, start topics, post pictures, and donate!! Woots!

+Quote Post
mohawk
post Mar 4 2011, 01:35 AM
Post #19 | Print

Club Newbie
Group Icon
Group: Members
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Thanks Received: 0
Member No.: 9,255

QUOTE (Bobzilla @ Nov 18 2010, 08:22 AM) *
This.

As for the actual question: There's not much. The manifold is the main cat, so a header is out of the question. THe intake cools the ECU, so that is kinda an iffy proposition. Cat back gains 3-4hp at best. The Beta is just not "mod friendly" sadly. Between the horrible cam overlap to meet emissions and the tight control overt the engine the ECU has, there's not many gains to be had. Even saying "F the emissions" and adding a header, intake and catback you can expect about 10hp gain. Not enough to have to dconstantly deal with a CEL on and never being able to pass emissions.

umm.... just put a cold air on my 2001 elantra GLS... did i mess up by doing tht?

--------------------

"Why do you have an Elantra?"
"Groceries."
"Thats stupid"
"Lets see you fit groceries in your racecar.."

+Quote Post
jamhandman
post Jun 7 2011, 07:35 AM
Post #20 | Print

Post Maniac
Group Icon

Nah, on the newer HD models the ECU is attached to the intake and is cooled there. I think it's the same on the 2008 Accent...I think you should be fine since you have a 2001.

--------------------

EC ROCKS! Show your support, ask/answer questions, start topics, post pictures, and donate!! Woots!

+Quote Post
Neanderthal
post Sep 8 2011, 11:20 PM
Post #21 | Print

Power Poster
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Thanks Received: 13
Member No.: 5,961
Mood: Good

QUOTE (jamhandman @ Jan 24 2011, 06:30 AM) *
Drop in a K&N air filter and bypass/remove the intake resonator. These are easy upgrade. Look at changing the spark plugs and wires to get the engine smmother. Go the Mobile 1 or equilivant. biggrin.gif These things aren't much, but it's a start. biggrin.gif

K&N claims 7.3 HP @ 5800 and 6.5 TQ @ 5800 gain for its high flow intake. Data from 2005 Spectra5 2.0. Anyone done this, and is it worth the 150+ bucks you can find these for on Amazon?

--------------------

007 Spectra EX auto

+Quote Post
MdElantra
post Sep 8 2011, 11:37 PM
Post #22 | Print

Poster Pro
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Thanks Received: 21
Trader Stats: 4 (100%)
Member No.: 6,555

you can make a SRI cheaper that does the same thing but i think those claims are exagerated anyway. Ebay has a ton of ways to go as far as a short ram intake option. Got one on the 2006 elantra love the sound not sure what i gained lol

--------------------

+Quote Post
mbenz
post Sep 10 2011, 07:44 AM
Post #23 | Print

Power Poster
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Thanks Received: 49
Member No.: 10,411
Mood: Awake

you can get a turbo... i have been to my dads shop and i showed one of his workers my engine cause i needed a clamp for my sri and he said yeah u can fit a turbo in it and mines the md just go to a high performance shop and ask them they could prob find you a turbo to fit just might be money for the installation and make sure you get a warrenty if you do put in the turbo so if something goes wrong they fix it

--------------------

A proud member of the club.

+Quote Post
jamhandman
post Sep 12 2011, 08:35 AM
Post #24 | Print

Post Maniac
Group Icon

yeah but a turbo would require a new ECU no?

The HD already has a ram intake... I would recommend removing the intake resonator... smile.gif

http://www.elantraclub.com/forum/index.php...st&p=313949

--------------------

+Quote Post
3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 user(s) are reading this topic (1 guests and 0 anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No new Topic has attachmentsThe stay in touch thread
58 elantragt 188,758 29th July 2023 - 02:09 AM
Last post by: natesi
No new Pinned: Topic has attachmentsWhat I did to my other car today.
where the rest of my money & time goes when my Elantra doesn't
38 ronjr8102 112,191 30th June 2017 - 08:01 PM
Last post by: elantragt
No New Posts What's New at RockAuto?
0 RockAuto 52,523 27th June 2017 - 03:06 PM
Last post by: RockAuto
No New Posts The new Elantra GT is on it's way
6 elantragt 130,005 21st June 2017 - 08:11 AM
Last post by: elantraelite
No new Pinned: What kind of mileage are you getting?
668 Doohickie 270,605 17th June 2017 - 02:17 PM
Last post by: bardos99

Copyright 2022 The Elantra Club    
Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 10:42 PM
Elantra Club is not affiliated in any way with Hyundai Motor America