This is an archived forum community. It's currently closed to new memberships.
ElantraClub - for all generations

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Recent edits
Shark Racing Cr... by elantragt
  Dec 25 2016, 09:01 PM
Audio Buying ti... by elantragt
  Dec 23 2016, 03:16 PM
Basic cleaning ... by elantragt
  Dec 22 2016, 12:05 PM
Adding LED'... by elantragt
  Dec 22 2016, 11:57 AM
Solid Motor Mou... by elantragt
  Dec 22 2016, 11:46 AM
Body color head... by elantragt
  Dec 22 2016, 11:41 AM

Stats
Our members have created a total of 137 articles in 13 categories.

A total of 602 edits have been made and our articles have been viewed 1,725,052 times

> Blue Shift Indicator Mod DIY , courtesy of Karrde
Options V
Blue Shift Indicator Mod

This mod is fairly straightforward, I'm just removing the stock light bulb and replacing it with a few LEDs for a much better look will go great with the HVAC and window switch LED mods).

Tools:
-Screwdrivers
-Pliers
-Soldering Iron
-Hot Glue Gun
-Wire cutters/strippers
-Drill/bits

Supplies:
-Solder
-LEDs (see below)
-Resistors (see below)

Selecting LEDs and Resistors:

The best place to buy a bunch of LEDs is probably eBay. A lot of the sets from Hong Kong are cheap and some even come with their own resistors. Just search up "12v LEDs" and you'll get a lot of hits. But wherever you buy yours from it's important to make sure they're not too bright. The light dimmer switch doesn't affect the shift indicator lights and while bright LEDs look great during the day they're murder at night on the eyes. The standard for light output on LEDs is millicandela, or mcd. The LEDs in my pictures were 6000mcd which was way too bright. Around 1000mcd would probably be fine.

Along with brightness you also need to figure out what resistors you need and for this I found the following site to be invaluable:
http://ledcalc.com/

For my initial attempt with 6000mcd blue LEDs I wired two at a time in series with a 330ohm resistor. I also added one individually with a 470ohm resistor. Here's a crude electrical schematic; nothing complicated to this circuit:

Remember, if you don't use 6000mcd LEDs your resistor ratings will be different so use the calculator in the link above. On with the mod:

Step 1: Remove the centre console. No pics of this, but there are three screws along each side (slide the seats all the way forwards to reach the back two). Once those are off you can lift the console up and out (you will have to slide the shifter back a bit and pull the e-brake all the way up, and I mean all the way up).

Step 2: Remove the shift knob. There are two Philips screws on the front of it; take them out then gently slide the knob up slightly. You can now remove the button by pulling it out. There will also be a spring in there, be careful not to lose it.

Step 3: Remove the indicator light assembly. This proved to be the toughest part for me. It's attached at four points by small clips which are nearly impossible to squeeze out. I ended up breaking a couple of the clips, I hope you fair better. Note that once the centre console is back on it will hold this assembly in place so it doesn't really matter if you break the clips. With the shift knob removed it should just lift straight up when the clips are released.

Step 4: Flipping the assembly over you will see that the plastic light housing is removable (sorry no pics of this part). No it's time to figure out the positioning of your LEDs and start drilling holes for them. This is really down to personal preference, but depending on the light output angle of your LEDs you may need to have one pointing at each position of the shifter. Once the holes are drilled you can secure the LEDs in place with your hot glue gun, then solder your resistors in place and wire everything to ground. Remember that LEDs only work one way, the terminal nearest to the flat side of the bulb is negative, the other is positive (usually the negative side has a shorter prong, too).

The white connector leading from the car has two wires, red and black, for positive and negative respectively (connector on the indicator side shown above). If in doubt, confirm with a multimeter. When you've finished, test the circuit.

And in the famous words of Haynes' First Commandment: Installation is the reverse of removal.

Last update: Apr 30 2010, 04:27 AM by RHINESEL    Created: Apr 30 2010, 04:27 AM by RHINESEL    Edits: 1    Views: 2,535
Print article  Download MSWord version  Download txt version
Visit this article's discussion topic

Copyright 2022 The Elantra Club    
Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 02:35 PM
Elantra Club is not affiliated in any way with Hyundai Motor America