This is an archived forum community. It's currently closed to new memberships.
ElantraClub - for all generations

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules Overview
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Might get into a Hyundai again... maybe
yjolly
post Mar 1 2013, 11:48 AM
Post #1 | Print

Expert in generalizations
Group Icon
Group: Members
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Thanks Received: 21
Trader Stats: 0 (0%)
Member No.: 27
Mood: Okay

Hey guys! I might find my way into another Hyundai sometime later this year. I've been looking into getting a hybrid (not Hyundai's), but found out that I had to drop too many of my requirements (light towing is one of them) for savings of maybe 1000 to 1500 a year in gas. I've had a look at the new RAV4, said yuck! when I saw it in person, I find the Mazda CUV on the small side (and they have TPMS which I'll avoid as long as I can), I like the look and size of the Chevy Equinox, but it's getting to the end of its life and most reviewers hate it with a passion. I find the new Santa Fe more and more attractive as a package (I'd get a basic FWD w/2.4 engine). It sucks that most online reviews are for the top-of-the-line 2.0T engine....

I figure I might give the Equinox a test drive; if I don't hate it, I'm in a position to get a fairly good deal late in the year (unused GM points available, plus it probably doesn't sell as well as the Santa Fe). Otherwise, the Santa Fe might be the one; I haven't driven any of the two yet, as I'm not ready to make a move yet. No payments is a good place to be right now...

So I have a question: is the 2.4L Theta II GDI chain driven or belt driven for timing? I'm pretty sure it's a chain, but....

Yves

--------------------

'13 Dark Grey Toyota Camry Hybrid LE, 2.5L w/HSD transmission. RTX 16" Multi Silver Wheels & Stock Tires. WeatherTech floor mats. I live in Luskville, QC (near Ottawa), Canada
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
FurunoFan
post Mar 1 2013, 11:56 AM
Post #2 | Print

J.Electron-Elantra 2013 GT
Group Icon
Group: Lifetimer
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Thanks Received: 120
Trader Stats: 1 (100%)
Member No.: 13,648
Mood: Happy

I would suggest a 6 cyl Tucson.
The new Santa fe is nice but just like the Tucson better.

--------------------

A proud member of the Elantra club.
2013 Elantra GT 6-Sp M/T w/Style
2008 Nissan Versa SL

+Quote Post
yjolly
post Mar 1 2013, 12:53 PM
Post #3 | Print

Group Icon

QUOTE (FurunoFan @ Mar 1 2013, 11:56 AM) *
I would suggest a 6 cyl Tucson.
The new Santa fe is nice but just like the Tucson better.

1) No V6 available in 2013
2) Smaller, and cost the same price as the Santa Fe when similarly equipped
3) Virtually no difference in mileage (1 to 2 mpg max)
4) I don't like the styling

I think that settles it.

Yves

--------------------

'13 Dark Grey Toyota Camry Hybrid LE, 2.5L w/HSD transmission. RTX 16" Multi Silver Wheels & Stock Tires. WeatherTech floor mats. I live in Luskville, QC (near Ottawa), Canada

+Quote Post
Bobzilla
post Mar 1 2013, 01:02 PM
Post #4 | Print

Proud GLT Owner
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 3.03
Thanks Received: 633
Trader Stats: 3 (100%)
Member No.: 532
Mood: Hyper

ALL Theta's are chain driven. Actually, Hyundai no longer has an engine with a belt any more. Everything is chain driven now.

--------------------

Founding Member of the Indiana Chapter of the Teeny Weeny Club for Secure Adult Males

"Drag racing is for fast cars, and autocrossing is for fast drivers" -Toecutter

+Quote Post
yjolly
post Mar 1 2013, 01:12 PM
Post #5 | Print

Group Icon

QUOTE (Bobzilla @ Mar 1 2013, 01:02 PM) *
ALL Theta's are chain driven. Actually, Hyundai no longer has an engine with a belt any more. Everything is chain driven now.

Good. That's what I wanted to hear.

Dropped by the dealership during lunchtime; they look even better in person. I guess that they expect to sell way more 2.0T models than the base 2.4; I'd quickly estimate a ratio of 10 to 1 in the yard between the 2. Or is it maybe that they can't keep the 2.4 long enough in stock?

Yves

--------------------

+Quote Post
hyundave
post Mar 1 2013, 01:54 PM
Post #6 | Print

Poster Pro
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 0.21
Thanks Received: 180
Trader Stats: 2 (100%)
Member No.: 11,051
Mood: Full

The Sante Fes are sexy as hell fot an suv definitely go ffor it!

--------------------

2008 Hyundai Elantra SE / Carbon Grey / Incus Body Kit / Sold at 98,400 miles
2011 Hyundai Genesis Coupe Premium / Black / Current DD at 43,000 miles

+Quote Post
Kate31
post Mar 1 2013, 01:56 PM
Post #7 | Print

Poster Pro
Group Icon
Group: VIP Members
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Thanks Received: 169
Member No.: 12,773
Mood: Chipper

Honestly, if I could afford it I would trade my Elantra in for the new Santa Fe. I seriously love how it looks and everything it offers!!

--------------------

+Quote Post
FurunoFan
post Mar 1 2013, 03:46 PM
Post #8 | Print

J.Electron-Elantra 2013 GT
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Thanks Received: 120
Member No.: 13,648
Mood: Happy

Okay...Scratch that... the Tucson I drove with a 4 Cyl in 2005 was under powered, and not worth having. I had a 6 cyl and loved it. If they only have a 4 cyl for 2013; then I would kick up for the Santa Fe.

--------------------

A proud member of the Elantra club.
2013 Elantra GT 6-Sp M/T w/Style
2008 Nissan Versa SL

+Quote Post
Bobzilla
post Mar 1 2013, 04:02 PM
Post #9 | Print

Proud GLT Owner
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 3.03
Thanks Received: 633
Trader Stats: 3 (100%)
Member No.: 532
Mood: Hyper

QUOTE (FurunoFan @ Mar 1 2013, 03:46 PM) *
Okay...Scratch that... the Tucson I drove with a 4 Cyl in 2005 was under powered, and not worth having. I had a 6 cyl and loved it. If they only have a 4 cyl for 2013; then I would kick up for the Santa Fe.

That's like saying you drove a 2000 Accent 1.5L and hated it so if they are still putting 4cyl in the accent, it's bad.

The new Tucson uses the newer Theta II making almost 200hp, compared to the old Tucson that was powered by the old 2.0L Beta making 136hp. Completely different vehicles. The new Tucson's 4 cyl makes more power than the old Tucson's shitty Delta V6.

--------------------

Founding Member of the Indiana Chapter of the Teeny Weeny Club for Secure Adult Males

"Drag racing is for fast cars, and autocrossing is for fast drivers" -Toecutter

+Quote Post
yjolly
post Mar 1 2013, 04:33 PM
Post #10 | Print

Group Icon

QUOTE (Bobzilla @ Mar 1 2013, 04:02 PM) *
The new Tucson uses the newer Theta II making almost 200hp, compared to the old Tucson that was powered by the old 2.0L Beta making 136hp. Completely different vehicles. The new Tucson's 4 cyl makes more power than the old Tucson's shitty Delta V6.

The 2.4 in the current Tucson is the same as the base 2.4 in the current Santa Fe, so I would assume that the Tucson, being lighter, would feel peppier. But I'm not buying a race car. I currently drive a 2.2 / 150 hp with a 4 speed automatic and feel completely fine with it. In fact, most of the time I have someone in front of me not moving fast enough. I don't know if it's Ottawa traffic, but I'm always amazed at the amount of time it takes for people to get moving at a green light... so raw power gets you nowhere around here, or I should say that it might get you faster to a police cruiser.

Anyway, I'll be fine with 190 hp. More is not always better. What I need is space, affordability and reliability.

Yves

--------------------

+Quote Post
yjolly
post Mar 8 2013, 08:06 PM
Post #11 | Print

Group Icon

I test drove the Equinox today; they had a "special two day sale" with incredible deals to get you in, so I said why not see what kind of deals they offer. It's not a bad ride, feels very solid and stable, it's so easy to forget how fast you are going, as I found out on the first highway exit that I took. The suspension is firm, power is OK; probably barely sufficient when the truck is loaded. All-in-all, I could live with it, mainly because I like the engine & transmission family, it's relatively spacious and has good fuel economy numbers. So I walked back in with a "I might do it if it's heavily discounted" mindset.

So we start talking about colors and price: they only had 2 colors in stock, none of which interests me. They would only commit to trade one with another dealer if I put 1000 down and sign the papers on the spot - strike one. The sales manager comes in and works out a monthly payment for me. Right away I knew something was wrong, because I'm used to the build and price scenarios on the GM web site, but I'm not totally sure because it's been a long time and the numbers are not fresh in my mind. Anyway, at that point, an alarm bell is ringing in my head - strike two. Then (I'm watching this as if I'm in a movie), he goes: what would it take to get you into this car today... rolleyes.gif and tries every slimy way to make it look like they are giving me the deal of the year, by spreading the payments over a longer period or by-weekly -strike three.

My answer was thank you, but I have to get back to work, I'll give it some though and let you know later today. I then checked the GM price & build tool for the exact same truck, using MRSP, and I end up with a monthly payment less than what they "worked" for me. Un-freaking-believable. I don't even want to talk to them again; I'll try an internet price next time -GAME OVER FELLOWS!

I can get the brand new Santa Fe, Canadian SUV of the year, undiscounted, for cheaper than the Equinox, an almost outdated design. Don't get me wrong: I don't hate the Equinox, but it would take at least a $5000 discount to make it a good deal compared to the Santa Fe. I guess the next step will be to go and actually try the Santa Fe.

Yves

--------------------

+Quote Post
Red Elantra GT
post Mar 8 2013, 08:26 PM
Post #12 | Print

Post Maniac
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Thanks Received: 136
Member No.: 11,366
Mood: Carefree

Hey-You're doing all the right things in considering a new car. It's best to think things out before taking the plunge. Hope you'll post what you think of the Santa Fe.

--------------------

A proud member of the club.
2003 Mercedes-Benz SL500
2013 Hyundai Elantra GT

+Quote Post
2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 user(s) are reading this topic (1 guests and 0 anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Get Your Holiday Shopping Done Early This Year!
0 RockAuto 7,671 22nd November 2016 - 01:06 PM
Last post by: RockAuto
No New Posts Hyundai ATF SPF-III and Synthetic Mobil One 5W30 - 4 Quart bottles - $10
Plus engine and cabin air filters - Pick up or ship
0 olidx 854 25th October 2016 - 05:35 PM
Last post by: olidx
No New Posts Hyundai surprisingly dropping the Sonata
5 elantragt 16,128 2nd April 2016 - 09:52 AM
Last post by: elantragt
No New Posts Hyundai looking to improve it's performance cred
3 elantragt 7,812 14th June 2015 - 09:48 PM
Last post by: mlumz
No New Posts Hyundai Master Tech's?
Any Hyundai Master Tech's in here?
0 13ABLtd 539 1st June 2015 - 12:08 AM